Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pole of Mars
Aug 19, 2008

A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom

BullChicken posted:

I`m getting this when trying to use the dx10 renderer on win7 64. I have dx11 installed on the computer, is it not backwards compatable or do I just have to shove a dll in the deusex/system dir?

Also, is the any way to stop the UAC prompt when I run the game?
This isn`t the steam version.

I got this error when I tried to run the game. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

I played Deus Ex at least a dozen times. I played IW through at least 6 times.
I still have my copy of IW but lost my copy of DX years ago.

I can't NOT buy this game for $2.50. I'm just glad that buying the bundle is not required.

EDIT: Purchased.

Eyebrows Mulligan
Apr 29, 2009

by Fistgrrl
Whenever I've played Deus Ex I've always had this song playing in the background on repeat. I don't know why I do it, but now I can't play Deus Ex with the original music. The two go together really really well.

Edit: Actually I might as well go ahead and add the Terminator theme song as well. I'm going to end up making a whole playlist of songs to listen to while playing Deus Ex, aren't I?

Eyebrows Mulligan fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 21, 2010

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Magazines call me a Rockstar, Girls call me Cockstar

Eyebrows Mulligan posted:

Whenever I've played Deus Ex I've always had this song playing in the background on repeat. I don't know why I do it, but now I can't play Deus Ex with the original music. The two go together really really well.

Edit: Actually I might as well go ahead and add the Terminator theme song as well. I'm going to end up making a whole playlist of songs to listen to while playing Deus Ex, aren't I?

I'd be down for a definitive DX Playlist

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

bartkusa posted:

I want more Augmented Reality. It's probably too much to ask for, but it'd be fantastic.
Prop: Report this as a bug

Le Sean posted:

I'd be down for a definitive DX Playlist
Tom Sawyer - Rush

I paid regular price for IW a long while ago, I'm pretty pissed now.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Casimir Radon posted:

I paid for IW, I'm pretty pissed now.

Token goon correction!

What a shame.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

After installing the DX10 renderer on Win7 64, the game seems to want to run too fast regardless of any speed fixes in the other utility from that site.

What a shameful thing

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Fuzz posted:

Token goon correction!

What a shame.
I'm willing to pay a little for kitschy amusement. The two things they did right: passive augs, and being able to pull yourself up onto a ledge (Mind you they didn't always account for poo poo and you get the below).

Good work Ion Storm, it's not like I even had to cheat or do anything clever to find this on my first playthrough.

Retro-Future Rodent
Jul 30, 2008

Ranked 9327th out of 9328 players worldwide.

Eyebrows Mulligan posted:

I was genuinely expecting this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0U7OUtRvXM
I am very pleasantly surprised, I'd definitely be up for a DX playlist along those lines.:golfclap:

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

GreatGreen posted:

The laser, while it doesn't let you zoom in, is dead still and makes your weapon always fire with pinpoint accuracy... except with the Shifter mod. The Shifter mod makes the laser wobble around a little bit according to your skill in the weapon.

Thanks, I'll give this a shot.

Casimir Radon posted:

Tom Sawyer - Rush

You are so correct. Also most of the noises in Blade Runner.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope
I've never seen this before (although y'all likely have). Bob Page does his best "Shake from ATHF" impression:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwSLvTkV2Y4

bartkusa fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Apr 21, 2010

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.
This is a great game, it has bugs, but honestly most of them are fun to exploit and a big part of why I still fire it up from time to time. One thing that confused me was what happens if you manage to get into the prison cell with the two NSF guys - getting in there feels like an exploit because the door wont open for you so you have to wait for manderly to come, be standing infront of it when he tries to open it, then when it does you can hit use on him so he gives his "we're looking to you to set an example" speech, which gives you enough time to get inside and the door to shut behind you locking him out (he resumes walking forward against the door but the door wont open again from the outside).

If you manage all this you are free to talk to the NSF guys, you would think they would only have generic stuff to say, however, despite the dodgy means of getting into this room there's a scripted conversation sequence between you and one of them, manderly even stops his head-butting of the door to interject part-way through. Then if you choose to kill or knock out these guys manderly will get upset - "jesus christ denton", this option will also result in the two MIB's outside telling you off. Am I missing a more legitimate method of getting into this room because if not all I can think was they designed a scripted sequence for an encounter they made almost impossible.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
I guess it's the price I pay for being on a ridiculous laptop, but IW slows down and speeds up ridiculously on my machine (single core, getting senile, huge overheating problems) such that it is unplayable.

For reference, it does this with a lot of things (Heroes of Might and Magic 2 for example :suicide:) but this is just ridiculous.

Fuzz1111 posted:

Am I missing a more legitimate method of getting into this room because if not all I can think was they designed a scripted sequence for an encounter they made almost impossible.

Tossing a gas grenade? :v:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Fuzz1111 posted:

This is a great game, it has bugs, but honestly most of them are fun to exploit and a big part of why I still fire it up from time to time. One thing that confused me was what happens if you manage to get into the prison cell with the two NSF guys - getting in there feels like an exploit because the door wont open for you so you have to wait for manderly to come, be standing infront of it when he tries to open it, then when it does you can hit use on him so he gives his "we're looking to you to set an example" speech, which gives you enough time to get inside and the door to shut behind you locking him out (he resumes walking forward against the door but the door wont open again from the outside).

If you manage all this you are free to talk to the NSF guys, you would think they would only have generic stuff to say, however, despite the dodgy means of getting into this room there's a scripted conversation sequence between you and one of them, manderly even stops his head-butting of the door to interject part-way through. Then if you choose to kill or knock out these guys manderly will get upset - "jesus christ denton", this option will also result in the two MIB's outside telling you off. Am I missing a more legitimate method of getting into this room because if not all I can think was they designed a scripted sequence for an encounter they made almost impossible.

It's Simons, not Manderley. Also, yeah, they literally did program an entire dialogue tree you won't be able to get to unless you wait for Simons to open the door and then walk in behind him. The game is just that detailed to allow for you to do things like that.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Fuzz1111 posted:

How do you even get it to lead up to that part?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Casimir Radon posted:

How do you even get it to lead up to that part?

It happens automatically during the second visit to UNATCO HQ, just follow Walton Simons after you finish your debrief with Manderley

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
By the way, I'm not sure anyone brought this up, but i loved the UNATCO HQ sections, I honestly can't think of a game that did something similar. Maybe Splinter Cell: Double Agent, but they did it badly.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

Fag Boy Jim posted:

By the way, I'm not sure anyone brought this up, but i loved the UNATCO HQ sections, I honestly can't think of a game that did something similar. Maybe Splinter Cell: Double Agent, but they did it badly.

Yeah I liked the HQ a lot too, Double Agent did everything badly

Antidox
Sep 2, 2006
A
Seeing as I've lost my disks I was thinking of grabbing this for the steam special.
(It and Invisible War are $2.50 each for midweek madness) But I wanted to know if there was anything I needed to worry about running it on windows 7? and I'm sorry if this has already been asked.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Antidox posted:

Seeing as I've lost my disks I was thinking of grabbing this for the steam special.
(It and Invisible War are $2.50 each for midweek madness) But I wanted to know if there was anything I needed to worry about running it on windows 7? and I'm sorry if this has already been asked.
Should work just fine.

gpw11
Oct 22, 2008

Antidox posted:

I just bought it and loaded it up on Win7 64-bit. I can tell you that the game boots fine and I've been playing the training mission.

I also used the link below to get AA going.

http://kentie.net/article/dxguide/

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I seem to have fixed the issue I was having in Win7 x64. If you have set Data Execution Prevention to OptOut, a non-default but commonly recommended security measure, exclude DeusEx.exe. I think at least one other person was having the same issue as me, input freezing within a minute or so of launching, so hope this helps somebody.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

fleshweasel posted:

Frankly I don't see why everyone is so into a DX10 renderer for a 10 year old game. Same feeling about the UT3 cum shaders posted a while back. I tried both on a couple occasions and never worked correctly for me. I like the new OpenGL renderer though. Direct X is pretty much always backwards compatible with previous versions, by the way.

I'm into it because for me the DX10 renderer is the only way to get the game running at all. DX9 almost works but has screwy speedups and slowdowns no matter what I do to my processor speed, and anything else just crashes. As a bonus it has a built-in multiprocessor fix, proper widescreen support, working resolution selection, way more sane default settings, etc. Haven't noticed any cum shading. I think that out of the box the only thing it does that actually looks different is the lighting, which is easily switched back to classic mode.

A Violence Gang posted:

Have run the fixer tool, no effect (does it even give you a response to indicate it successfully applied its changes?), and as I said, have tried multiple rendering options. Applying compatibility mode settings to DeusEx.exe results in a "Cannot find Steam" error.

Last time I tried the fixer, it would write its changes directly to Program Files despite Windows wanting to keep the INIs in VirtualStore. It's probably faster to just fix things manually than it is to shuffle the files back and forth.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Mr_Person posted:

Last time I tried the fixer, it would write its changes directly to Program Files despite Windows wanting to keep the INIs in VirtualStore. It's probably faster to just fix things manually than it is to shuffle the files back and forth.

Yeah I was also wondering about that -- I didn't get a UAC prompt despite this ostensibly needing to write to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam..., another reason I wasn't sure it did anything at all. Will try manually but for now I'm just happy it runs since I figured out the DEP thing.

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"
just started a new game; I was wondering if there existed any type of mod to enlarge the size of the rifle/pistol scope while keeping the OTP UI fix? Running at 1080p makes it impossible to see anything even on a fairly large monitor; it's like the size of a quarter. Any advice to make it more bearable?

Mathemagician
Aug 21, 2003

tell me some more

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Just finished The Nameless Mod. Planning to go through it again soon. The amount of attention to detail and work that has been put into the mod in general is impressive. And going back to the "plot important NPC invulnerability" discussion - the mod does a better job of working with that than either "real" game. There are 5-6 NPCs you can't kill, and 5 of them have an explanation that makes sense in-game (there's also a building with 4-5 guys you can't kill and have your game continue if you choose one faction)

A good boy
Apr 9, 2010

by Ozma
I wonder if Deus Ex (the first game, not the entire franchise) ever will be shareware and geeks are allowed to rebuild the game using the same audio etc only with better visuals/new textures. I dont know anything about programming and the likes so I'm not even sure if its possible, but I would sure love to see this game 'remade' like geeks did with System Shock 2.

Started playing this game again a few days ago and I'm simply in awe.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

BullChicken posted:

I`m getting this when trying to use the dx10 renderer on win7 64. I have dx11 installed on the computer, is it not backwards compatable or do I just have to shove a dll in the deusex/system dir?

Also, is the any way to stop the UAC prompt when I run the game?
This isn`t the steam version.

Pole of Mars posted:

I got this error when I tried to run the game. :(

Try updating DirectX, even if you have DX10 there's still updates to it

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...KV008JDDg%3d%3d

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Magazines call me a Rockstar, Girls call me Cockstar
The 'what a shame' error needs to be patched into any fan remake.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Soldier of Fortune 2 had something similar. It was in fashion for a while, just like the non-combat cold opening was in fashion after Half Life.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
It's an ok game I guess.

The dialogue, plot and voice acting really are terrible though

DR_Bob84
Apr 13, 2009

Antidox posted:

Well i still can't get Invisible War to run. As was pointed out to me maybe it's for the best. Finished Deus ex yesterday so that works fine.

I did wanna try it but oh well. Even tweaked it to run in widescreen myself (used widescreengamingforum.com)

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Holy poo poo, $2.50. I'm buying this for all my friends.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Xander77 posted:

Just finished The Nameless Mod. Planning to go through it again soon. The amount of attention to detail and work that has been put into the mod in general is impressive. And going back to the "plot important NPC invulnerability" discussion - the mod does a better job of working with that than either "real" game. There are 5-6 NPCs you can't kill, and 5 of them have an explanation that makes sense in-game (there's also a building with 4-5 guys you can't kill and have your game continue if you choose one faction)
Regarding people you can't kill my favorite little detail in TNM is that you can kill the WorldCorp CEO if you really want to, but when you go to leave the room you're stopped by the "Narcissus Entity" (From the Cassandra Project, Keiron Gellon's aborted Deus Ex mod) who informs you that while you're technically free to kill anyone, removing the CEO from the plot would require rewriting everything so instead of supporting the action they're just going to put you back in time, don't do it again. Then they force you to reload your last save.
However, seeing this event is "saved" by the game, and tracked externally to your save progress. Seeing it, as well as 2-3 other fourth wall breaking scenarios, are key to unlocking a hidden ending of the game.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

A Violence Gang posted:

I seem to have fixed the issue I was having in Win7 x64. If you have set Data Execution Prevention to OptOut, a non-default but commonly recommended security measure, exclude DeusEx.exe. I think at least one other person was having the same issue as me, input freezing within a minute or so of launching, so hope this helps somebody.

It works! :neckbeard:

NOT NOW GRANDPA
Dec 6, 2005

fleshweasel posted:

Same feeling about the UT3 cum shaders posted a while back. I tried both on a couple occasions and never worked correctly for me.

Provided you are talking about custom shaders, and not cum shaders, I am interested in this. Got a link?

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Wow, I just rebought a game on Steam so I wouldn't have to mess with a disc. Good thing it was a game I still replay with some degree of regularity. :)

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I'm gonna start buying DE for some steam buddies of mine today.

Casimir Radon posted:

Good work Ion Storm, it's not like I even had to cheat or do anything clever to find this on my first playthrough.

Ion Storm: :iamafag:

That's what you get when you create a Subtractive map in Unreal Editor. lovely poo poo poo poo. You'll see a lot of those in some corners once you get to NY.

If you want to continue on playing this game, I'd recommend the Unified Texture pack from John P. It adds some nice little touches and makes the game more bearable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

A good boy posted:

I wonder if Deus Ex (the first game, not the entire franchise) ever will be shareware and geeks are allowed to rebuild the game using the same audio etc only with better visuals/new textures. I dont know anything about programming and the likes so I'm not even sure if its possible, but I would sure love to see this game 'remade' like geeks did with System Shock 2.

Started playing this game again a few days ago and I'm simply in awe.

Look up the term shareware because that's not what it means.