Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Huh?
Looks like he sold at the January pop up to ~60, now it's up 40% from there, not bad.

SNSS might make a run over the next two weeks due to some deadlines looming, should be a good size run up before June as well, as new Voreloxin data is expected. Got in today at 0.94 with 3k shares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Argh, bastards.
Qualcomm: Hey guys, earnings and income are up! Cell phone prices are coming down and we're going to see some competition.

Investors: Holy poo poo!!!! Competition?! SELL SELL SELL

*stock tanks 8%*

Riiight. What people fail to realize is more and more people are going to be buying smartphones. Prices coming down is only natural.

I'm bitter, and I kinda thought that the fact there's tough competition is common sense.

Same thing happened to NOK -- profits tripled, stock dropped by 14%. Luckily I sold it Monday to buy more NLY.

T dropped also; nobody cares about any phones which aren't Apple.

Duey
Sep 5, 2004

Hi
Nap Ghost

destructo posted:

Looks like he sold at the January pop up to ~60, now it's up 40% from there, not bad.

SNSS might make a run over the next two weeks due to some deadlines looming, should be a good size run up before June as well, as new Voreloxin data is expected. Got in today at 0.94 with 3k shares.

I did the same. bought it at 48.70 pre-earnings in January because honestly, who bets against NFLX on 4Q earnings. Popped to 63 and sold out. I figured it would retrace a bit and I'd jump back in. It never did. How I wish I had just held on.

Jack
Jan 19, 2001
I can't wait for the music to stop as there are so many 2000 Nasdaq type level stocks out there right now. CRM and CREE to name two. When this irrational exuberance pops those pigs should get slaughtered, probably to the tune of 30% or more.

I just don't get the love for those stocks when there are sub 10 P/FCF stocks like PWRD out there. TSL is essentially CREE and yet trades at only 20% of what CREE is valued at. Except of course TSL is nearly through the declining ASP period and still puts up better earnings. Eventually competitors will drive CREEs asps down and the chart will look at whole lot like WFR from 2007-2009.

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'
I agree with above. This market has pissed me off ever since April 2009, but then again I should have figured that the market would be fueled by free government money. What does piss me off is all the bastards that believe the stock market rally has anything to do with a real recovery and not everything to do with more money generation for the rich before they finally let the market crash, because there is no way they are stupid enough to believe that the people are stupid enough to have a stock market rising for so long with no real economic improvement... actually, the economy is getting even worse now from what I can see. There is some basic hiring, but fundamentally that will change very soon.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
When does Blockbuster announce earnings?

It's amazing to watch the netflix performance. $10+ pops earnings release days with a nice steady climb between 3 months ago and now.

Heh BBI @ 47 cents.

Netflix 100.05 +13.07

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'
OMG! Please don't invest in Blockbuster. How in the world can they avoid bankruptcy? They can't. All of the good deals with hardware to stream movies and poo poo are taken up by Netflix. Netflix is just too good and too many people remember Blockbuster loving them in their asses. Earnings should be late May though.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Oh there is no loving way I am touching BB with a stick. When I first saw those Redboxes popping up like weeds in every McDonald's/Walmart/Walgreens and more recently Netflix getting on any device connected to the internet I knew that BBs fate was soon to be sealed.

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'
Good!

Oh and screw you GS for upgrading DTG. What the gently caress?

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'
Holy poo poo! Bubble within a bubble if I've ever seen. Calling a top today.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

MrBigglesworth posted:

When does Blockbuster announce earnings?

It's amazing to watch the netflix performance. $10+ pops earnings release days with a nice steady climb between 3 months ago and now.

Heh BBI @ 47 cents.

Netflix 100.05 +13.07

if only we could short BBI endlessly...

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

ayekappy posted:

Calling a top today.
People actually do this?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dr. Jackal posted:

I thought NFLX, why would it skyrocket repeatedly again thought I at 60..
I was so pissed when I forgot to buy them ahead of earnings last quarter. I told my friend who only has a few thousand in this Roth to remind me not to forget is time. He didn't remind me but I didn't forget either ;).

Also bought some FITB ahead of earnings today because I wanted to play a regional bank. Can't win them all :sigh:

Have some F ahead of earnings on Tuesday, as well as BIDU and BRCM. We'll see whether I'm rejoicing or crying by Tuesday night.

Duey
Sep 5, 2004

Hi
Nap Ghost
I'm right there with you on F. March started off good but apparently lost steam. I'm hopeful though and I expect them to gain a bit.

Also, loving QCOM. Always lowering expectations. Am I crazy for thinking they are well poised to profit off the smartphone craze and tablet craze that's going on? At least those calls I sold at 45$ won't be exercised and if they are I'll be happy it goes up that much anyway.

Duey fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Apr 23, 2010

Ravarek
Apr 25, 2004

Solid gold dipes:
E'ry day I'm hustlin'.

ayekappy posted:

I agree with above. This market has pissed me off ever since April 2009, but then again I should have figured that the market would be fueled by free government money. What does piss me off is all the bastards that believe the stock market rally has anything to do with a real recovery and not everything to do with more money generation for the rich before they finally let the market crash, because there is no way they are stupid enough to believe that the people are stupid enough to have a stock market rising for so long with no real economic improvement... actually, the economy is getting even worse now from what I can see. There is some basic hiring, but fundamentally that will change very soon.

Yeah, I agree. But then again, fundamentals haven't meant poo poo in these last few years. Foreclosures are up, Greece is fighting for its life, Europe as a whole is in deep poo poo, Goldman Sachs is in the midst of scandal, the job market still sucks rear end, and capacity utilization is still low, but HEY.. the equity melt up continues with no sign of stopping. OMGG!!! BUY EVARYTHING!!!!

Waroen
Jun 23, 2006
Fuck Jesus and Fuck Shoes!!

ayekappy posted:

Good!

Oh and screw you GS for upgrading DTG. What the gently caress?

And CAR :(

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Dollar and market rally on Greece and Euroe failing? I literally watched yields go from 7% to 9% at lunch and 11% leaving work today. lol greece

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

I'm cranky most of the time.

Josh Lyman posted:

Have some F ahead of earnings on Tuesday, as well as BIDU and BRCM. We'll see whether I'm rejoicing or crying by Tuesday night.

What's the motivation to be long stock in BIDU as an earnings play rather than short puts or long calls? I don't know what kind of roll you're playing with but it seems like an expensive directional bet and am curious how you're playing it. If you've got 7+ figures feel free to tell me suck it.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Duey posted:

I'm right there with you on F. March started off good but apparently lost steam. I'm hopeful though and I expect them to gain a bit.

Also, loving QCOM. Always lowering expectations. Am I crazy for thinking they are well poised to profit off the smartphone craze and tablet craze that's going on? At least those calls I sold at 45$ won't be exercised and if they are I'll be happy it goes up that much anyway.

No, not crazy. After mulling it over I'm actually going to double down myself. I really need to open up a margin account so I don't have to wait for funds to clear.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I WANT TO EAT BABBY posted:

What's the motivation to be long stock in BIDU as an earnings play rather than short puts or long calls? I don't know what kind of roll you're playing with but it seems like an expensive directional bet and am curious how you're playing it. If you've got 7+ figures feel free to tell me suck it.
I never got around to getting options authorization on my account. :smith: Working on fixing that now though.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

What do you mean by expensive directional bet?

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

self posted:

Shorting SBUX and going long on JPM, let's see if this my strategy works in the real world.
and for some reason I decided that C would hit $5 again? let's see if I am going to be :smug: or :ohdear: in a few days weeks...

Dr. Jackal fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 23, 2010

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

greasyhands posted:

What do you mean by expensive directional bet?

At $640/share it's going to tie up a large percentage of most goon investors' bank rolls. Assuming he bought 10 shares he could get the same exposure selling (buying) the ATM put (call) vertical and only tie up ~$500.

LactoseO.D.'d
Jun 3, 2002

Ravarek posted:

Yeah, I agree. But then again, fundamentals haven't meant poo poo in these last few years. Foreclosures are up, Greece is fighting for its life, Europe as a whole is in deep poo poo, Goldman Sachs is in the midst of scandal, the job market still sucks rear end, and capacity utilization is still low, but HEY.. the equity melt up continues with no sign of stopping. OMGG!!! BUY EVARYTHING!!!!

I'd like to direct you two to today's housing numbers. Biggest gainer since April 1963. There is good economic data out there. Earnings have also been mostly beats so far. Some of the QE programs are beginning to be scaled back, that's another positive sign the economy is ticking up.

PsychoAndy
Jul 21, 2003
what
This GS thing is kind of getting annoying. My impression from skimming FT Alphaville and other news sources (not CNBC) is that Paulson and Co wanted short subprime exposure, GS wanted to make money, and there were 50x as many people who wanted to be long mortgages. Therefore GS facilitates creating a CDO, an outside company picks the actual mortgages/tranches, and everyone throws their money down and places your bets. Correct me if i'm wrong, which I can be, but the only way this would be illegal is if GS misrepresented this security in order to make this CDO happen. And considering how bullish people were on housing a couple years back, and the fact that everything was A+++++ as rated by s&p/moodys (which at the time was considered reputable agencies), I have a hard time believing that GS could posssibly dissuade "sophisticated" investors from buying in even if GS wanted to.

Don't get me wrong, The Fabulous Fab makes great news, but his behavior isn't really that different compared to other under-35 people involved in business, especially if they're involved in trading.

Finally, is anyone short euros? I still have a position (ETF not fx which now i realize is stupid) and I'm tired of this bullshitting around! 1.29 on EURUSD by May or bust.

MrBigglesworth posted:

Oh there is no loving way I am touching BB with a stick. When I first saw those Redboxes popping up like weeds in every McDonald's/Walmart/Walgreens and more recently Netflix getting on any device connected to the internet I knew that BBs fate was soon to be sealed.

This is one of the painfully obvious things that I realized that I also did not capitalize on by going long netflix/short blockbuster. adsgihsdgihd.

PsychoAndy
Jul 21, 2003
what
Also I decided to put on Constant Nonsense and Bull Crap and they still have the stupid 9 talking head box system. Then Tyler Mathisen asked Kevin Cook, some fx guy, how to make money off the Greek crisis, and he starts talking about actual ways to make money like getting into short euro futures or short EURUSD and the CNBC heads start cutting him off.

I'm not surprised, but it's just another reason why I hate a channel with amateur not-really-an-economist Steve Liesman or beaker lookalike Dennis Kneale.

unnoticed
Nov 29, 2005

That's odd...

PsychoAndy posted:

This GS thing is kind of getting annoying. My impression from skimming FT Alphaville and other news sources (not CNBC) is that Paulson and Co wanted short subprime exposure, GS wanted to make money, and there were 50x as many people who wanted to be long mortgages. Therefore GS facilitates creating a CDO, an outside company picks the actual mortgages/tranches, and everyone throws their money down and places your bets. Correct me if i'm wrong, which I can be, but the only way this would be illegal is if GS misrepresented this security in order to make this CDO happen. And considering how bullish people were on housing a couple years back, and the fact that everything was A+++++ as rated by s&p/moodys (which at the time was considered reputable agencies), I have a hard time believing that GS could posssibly dissuade "sophisticated" investors from buying in even if GS wanted to.

I think the issue is that they let Paulson pick what went in the CDO fund and knew he was designing it to fail and had a CDS on it and then they told everybody it was a different third-party that picked everything.

Also, it's not really true that everyone was super-bullish on these things. This American Life has a really interesting episode about a similar situation with Magentar and how CDOs were almost dying out until they starting buying in:
http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/405/inside-job

Edit-- also this: http://www.propublica.org/feature/all-the-magnetar-trade-how-one-hedge-fund-helped-keep-the-housing-bubble

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

unnoticed posted:

I think the issue is that they let Paulson pick what went in the CDO fund and knew he was designing it to fail and had a CDS on it and then they told everybody it was a different third-party that picked everything.

Just to clarify, the ABACUS products were composed of CDSs not CDOs. And I think it's safe to say that if GS had told any potential investors that Paulsen was the short side of the trade _and_ had selected the underlying bonds there would have been much less interest in them.

LactoseO.D.'d
Jun 3, 2002

Just to clarify, the ABACUS products were composed of CDSs not CDOs. And I think it's safe to say that if GS had told any potential investors that Paulsen was the short side of the trade _and_ had selected the underlying bonds there would have been much less interest in them.

Thats the way I interpreted it. GS didn't do anything illegal in designing the product, but its a question of full disclosure, and its easy to make a case that a fiduciary breached their duty by forgetting to disclose absolutely everything. Anyone in financial services has Errors and Omissions insurance for this reason.

Zarrr
Oct 1, 2001

destructo posted:

Lunchmoney gamble, Bought 1000 shares of FBC @ 0.677 today. Earnings out April 27th.
Sold out my 5,000 shares @ .735 today.

I'll probably regret it, but the stock's a bit too risky for me. I don't see anything driving up the price but hot air, particularly with the reverse split looming.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Zarrr posted:

Sold out my 5,000 shares @ .735 today.

I'll probably regret it, but the stock's a bit too risky for me. I don't see anything driving up the price but hot air, particularly with the reverse split looming.
Probably a good call, I should just take my 12% and call it a day.. earnings not till Tuesday though, maybe I'll wait a bit longer.

edit: 210k share being dumped @ 0.75 and another 100k for sale at 2.99? Pipe dream.

edit2: FBC hitting 0.825 in afterhours :madmax:

destructo fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 24, 2010

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Argh, bastards.
Qualcomm: Hey guys, earnings and income are up! Cell phone prices are coming down and we're going to see some competition.

Investors: Holy poo poo!!!! Competition?! SELL SELL SELL

*stock tanks 8%*

Riiight. What people fail to realize is more and more people are going to be buying smartphones. Prices coming down is only natural.

I'm bitter, and I kinda thought that the fact there's tough competition is common sense.

Yes, people have failed to realize smartphone sales are exploding... you're the only one who noticed.

Zarrr
Oct 1, 2001

destructo posted:

Probably a good call, I should just take my 12% and call it a day.. earnings not till Tuesday though, maybe I'll wait a bit longer.

edit: 210k share being dumped @ 0.75 and another 100k for sale at 2.99? Pipe dream.
Looks like you made the right call. Crazy run today.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

PsychoAndy posted:

Also I decided to put on Constant Nonsense and Bull Crap and they still have the stupid 9 talking head box system. Then Tyler Mathisen asked Kevin Cook, some fx guy, how to make money off the Greek crisis, and he starts talking about actual ways to make money like getting into short euro futures or short EURUSD and the CNBC heads start cutting him off.

I'm not surprised, but it's just another reason why I hate a channel with amateur not-really-an-economist Steve Liesman or beaker lookalike Dennis Kneale.
I am bothered that someone who wasn't formally trained as an economist is their senior economics reporter, but Power Lunch is terrible and you really shouldn't watch outside of Squawk and Fast Money.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 23, 2010

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Dr. Jackal posted:

if only we could short BBI endlessly...

I'm always kind of tempted to try writing a bunch of calls on stocks like these.

Looks like someone actually bought 136 oct 2010 $2.5 calls today at .1.

I mean, I would bet that the rapture would happen before blockbuster trades at 2.50 again. That just seems like an easy 1K+ to write those calls.

Edit - I guess part of the problem is getting approved to write naked calls.

Baddog fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 23, 2010

Stup
Mar 19, 2009
I've been reading this thread fairly regularly, and I've dabbled a bit in stock purchasing. I'm curious in what kind of software options are available. I used to play a lot of online poker, and the software there allowed instant hand import, updating HUD's to show statistics, and various statistic/graphing options to show results of play.

From what I've seen, there's a couple of stock software options:
1. Software that allows you to buy/sell with various options and streaming tickers
2. Software that pulls information about stocks from various sources

I can't seem to find any software to analyze/chart your personal stock results. I mean specifically your own gains/losses, maybe showing unrealized gains/losses as well. Not individual stock charting. Is this out there and I just haven't found it? or nonexistent?

Also is there an equivalent to the poker win rate (big blinds won/100 hands played) that is commonly used to show how well you're doing?

Thanks!

LactoseO.D.'d
Jun 3, 2002

Stup posted:

I can't seem to find any software to analyze/chart your personal stock results. I mean specifically your own gains/losses, maybe showing unrealized gains/losses as well. Not individual stock charting. Is this out there and I just haven't found it? or nonexistent?

I personally use spreadsheets for everything, but if you're looking to drop some money on a 3rd party app this: http://www.tradelogger.net/ has more bells and whistles than anything I've seen. I dabbled with it a while back, and don't personally use it.

quote:

Also is there an equivalent to the poker win rate (big blinds won/100 hands played) that is commonly used to show how well you're doing?

There is not a single common metric. Some metrics are average trade, profit factor, sharpe ratio... there are a whole lot of them. I will add that the number people most often quote to other people is win rate. Even though it ignores a whole slew of information, people really seem to zero in on it, or at the very least feel compelled to brag about it.

Stup
Mar 19, 2009

LactoseO.D.'d posted:

I personally use spreadsheets for everything, but if you're looking to drop some money on a 3rd party app this: http://www.tradelogger.net/ has more bells and whistles than anything I've seen. I dabbled with it a while back, and don't personally use it.

Will look into that. I've been doing everything manually in spreadsheets as well, but it'd really be nice to have some software that pulled day by day charts for individual stocks and showed that as well. Kinda like the Motley Fool CAPS system that can show how you are doing compared to the S&P, etc.

quote:

There is not a single common metric. Some metrics are average trade, profit factor, sharpe ratio... there are a whole lot of them. I will add that the number people most often quote to other people is win rate. Even though it ignores a whole slew of information, people really seem to zero in on it, or at the very least feel compelled to brag about it.

There's a lot of different ways to measure how successful you are at investing in something. In poker, most people would argue that your hourly rate is what's most important. Of course there are other considerations like how much more variance certain play styles have, etc. and I imagine it's the same in stocks.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
What do you all think of VZ, Reading over its SEC filings, I think its a big time buy now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

fougera posted:

What do you all think of VZ, Reading over its SEC filings, I think its a big time buy now.

What makes it stand out? You still have no confirmation of an iphone and the carriers are fighting at price level on plans now.