Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

al-azad posted:

I meant published but I didn't know 3D Realms had the rights to sell the game as GT is owned by Atari. Looks like they have their entire catalog on there but there were two add-ons for the game and I wouldn't mind seeing GoG release it together.
The addons were never released in retail so I don't see a bundle likely, they're available for free all over the internet though.

e: They're more like endorsed mods anyway

Threep fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 22, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

graventy posted:

EVERYTHING had a time-based cooldown!

You know what I meant; abilities regen at the end of combat/the day, not every X rounds. :P

graventy posted:

I'll agree with you, though, WoW is a poor comparison. It just felt a ton more videogame-y than 3/3.5 did. We played it for a while, until every boss became an annoying HP sponge, and it became less about having fun and more about using the same two/three abilities over and over until they died. Which I suppose, is a probably GM problem not a system problem.

The videogaminess is neither bad nor good in itself but is a side-effect of the million and a half good changes that 4E made, so I'm not going to complain. HP sponges are a bit less of a problem since MM2 - that was bad design in MM1, by WotC's own admission.

As for using the same two/three abilities over and over again, aside from combat length making it more repetitive than it really is, I take it you were stuck in the 3.5 mentality of "if the rules don't say I can do it then I can't" (don't take it as an insult; almost everyone I know who tried 4E after playing 3.5 to the exclusion of all other systems was super confused by the narrativist elements 4E adopted)? Much like 3.5 and every edition of D&D ever, if combat just gets reduced to rolling dice, it sucks. You're meant to be using your skills and such to use the environment in interesting ways.

Also: for the first time in 10+ years of publishing D&D material, WotC have admitted that they're not always 100% right when it comes to balance and are releasing frequent errata to the 4E books based largely on feedback from the CO people.

If you get a chance to try 4E again with a DM who knows how to run 4E well, do so. You might be pleasantly surprised.

(And that's probably enough of an aside on roleplaying games. Sorry guys, I got a bit carried away.)

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
You know what GoG needs?

Terminal Velocity

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Rise of the Triad had the best gibs ever. BOOM!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

GreatGreen posted:

You know what GoG needs?

Terminal Velocity

Yes they do.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

GreatGreen posted:

You know what GoG needs?

Terminal Velocity

I played the poo poo out of the demo/shareware version when I was young. Managed to get to some spinning robot-thing with moving arms inside a tunnel that I never managed to destroy. Wonder how I would fare today.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

GreatGreen posted:

Terminal Velocity

Hell yeah, good one.

In a similarish vein, I wouldn't mind seeing Hardwar

The future is greedy, motherfuckers.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

GreenNight posted:

And of course Dog Mode.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Didn't someone have have an LP going of Terminal Velocity a while back? It's not really game to be watched but still.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

GreenNight posted:

Rise had a lot of good features that never seemed to go into other games.

I loved the begging enemies, the fake begging enemies that would shoot you and the hand of god was awesome.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

tentaclesex posted:

Me too. For some reason it seemed to have the most 'alive' game world of any freelancing game I've played.

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

GreatGreen posted:

You know what GoG needs?

Terminal Velocity

I want this almost as badly as I want Planescape Torment.

Someday please. :(

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I haven't downloaded it yet, but I remember putting HOURS into Blood's multiplayer. The tower level still stands as an all-time great DM level.

However.

What was their thing with butts? I recall like 70% of all voice overs during DM were about anal something or another. I recall being very perturbed by this.....

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Here's what the official 3D Realms page says about Terminal Velocity. As you read it, you can practically hear the wailing electric guitars in the background and a dude with spiked hair yelling it at you and saying AWW YEAH after every other sentence.

3D Realms posted:

Terminal Velocity

Take flight in this pure action game that should come with a barf bag! Climb into Terminal Velocity now and you'll never go back to flight simulators that offer combat as an "option." Terminal Velocity IS combat! And without the difficult controls presented by all flight simulator style games.

Created by the former lead programmer of Microsoft Flight Simulator, Terminal Velocity features a fast frame rate, realistic outdoor environments, and the unique ability to fly through tunnels and into underground caverns. Quite simply, Terminal Velocity is all about action, speed and destruction.

Terminal Velocity comes on CD-ROM only (the floppy disk version has been discontinued and is no longer available.) This version has everything: 70 Megs of 3D rendered cinematics, SVGA (640 by 480) support, high resolution replacement textures (add 16 times the graphics detail!), the BONUS planet!, eight network player support, and bonus games.

THE TERMINAL STORY

In the far future, armadas from surrounding systems have suddenly waged war on Earth, destroying crucial installations and major cities, Earth is quickly brought to its knees. You are a pilot from the Ares Squadron, flying the fastest, most dangerous crafts ever made. Currently, you're in the TV-202, a fighter few can handle. Given that the previous model, the TV-101, has chalked up more dead pilots than any experimental craft in history, many consider you lucky to be alive. You're outgunned, outmanned, and strapped into a flying coffin. But just think how good "Saved the Known Galaxy" will look on your resume'.

A RUSH OF FEATURES

Fast texture mapped 3D flight with full 360 degree movement.
9 totally unique planets, with 3 levels per planet, and dozens of tunnels!
Over 400,000 sq. miles of terrain--incredibly large levels.
7 destructive weapons, plus other power-ups.
Non-stop air-to-air and air-to-ground realistic combat.
SVGA support (640 x 480 resolution). This is a Pentium-recommended mode.
8 player network and 2 player modem support.
Many, many secret cheats.
Enemy ships cast translucent shadows, bank, roll, do loops, make suicide runs and more.
CD-ROM ENHANCEMENTS

70+ Megs of 3D rendered, full-motion, eye-candy cinematics.
Special Pentium mode to improve textured graphics.
BONUS PLANET! Discover the secret planet!
FREE! Several cool shareware games included.
MULTIPLAYER FEATURES

Supports modem, serial cable, and network multiplayer games.
Network games up to 8 players!
Each player can select a different ship to pilot.
RemoteRidicule allows players to send digitized voice messages to other players
Originally released May 1, 1995.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 22, 2010

Turbo D
Sep 10, 2004

onkey

tentaclesex posted:

Hell yeah, good one.

That used to be available from Home of the Underdogs...

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

I was going to buy the Master of Orion pack, and was looking around to see anything else worth buying, when all of a sudden... "Holy poo poo Settlers 2 is in here!?"

My favourite game for the longest time growing up. I love this service. :3:

electrigger
Dec 18, 2005

so gay and you don't even like boys
Beat the first episode of Blood. This game is such a fun use of the BUILD engine. Wish there were some other things to kill besides cultists, zombies, and gargoyles though...

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
Migrating all of the mods to the installation of One Unit Whole Blood from gog.com is kind of a bitch since I need to rewrite all the DosBox config files, but it will be worth it. :3: The way I'm structuring it is by having the shortcuts to all the mods in the main folder, which also contains /OST, /Documents, /DOSBOX, /Extras (my mod install files, maps and random poo poo I've picked up during the years), /Games (which contains a pure install of Blood, one "grouped" install for non-new-art mods, one "grouped" install for the russian "TheIT" mods and as many installs as there are "special unique snowflake" mods), /InstallationGOG and /Network. It's a pretty sweet setup. :3:

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

AxeManiac posted:

It is rough, because you have to use medpacks. You have to get hurt, it kind of goes against everything games do these days where you feel invincible all the time. You can't just plod through it hoping you will regen your health. Redneck Rampage seems impossible to me because of this!

RR was one of the hardest Build games out there with the Witchaven games barely edging it out with even more massive odds of dying on normal or easy. Not that there were a lot of Build games, but pretty much all of them were punishingly difficult really.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Serious Michael posted:

Also: Is Rise of the Triad any good?

It's OK, it takes the 2D square tile-maps to the limit of what they're capable of, but that's not a lot even compared to Doom. It was intended to be another game like Wolfenstein 3D, but iD and Apogee split apart and it was turned into RotT.

There are some great powerups, though.

The graphics have aged really terribly.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

tentaclesex posted:

Hell yeah, good one.

gently caress yes, it needs Hardwar. I voted for it on the GoG wishlist. The studio is of course long gone, but it was published by Interplay which has a few titles on GoG already. Not sure if that means that the same people have the rights anymore, but you never know.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Zenith Nadir posted:

Welp, Blood's out, you guys know what to do.

Also I just tried to use the PCG1 Painkiller promo code in the OP and I don't think it's valid anymore? Poo.

Yes I do. Got home a few hours ago from vacation and bought it without a second thought. I'll fix that Painkiller code too. That was from a while back, but I didn't think to see if it expired. Oh well, it's worth the extra dollar.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
Anyone got the music working with Blood? All my tinkering has been to no avail.

EDIT: Got it, just moved all the .ogg files in the game directory to another place, the MIDI music is now playing. Oh how I love this game's MIDI.

Dog Fat Man Chaser fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 22, 2010

sharts
Jul 3, 2008

a̸ ̕s̡cŗeam͟i͠ng͞ ͘sk͏u̢l̨l i̡s y͝o͡ųr o͡n͟l͞y ͢comp̛ani̡o͞n͝
^^^ The CD music worked for me right out of the box, although that box included throwing myself into the setup to map WASD controls. You did remember to look in the setup file, yes? If not you might want to screw around with the sound setup > choose music card. If you did, well, I am sorry I cannot help

Charles Martel posted:

Yes I do. Got home a few hours ago from vacation and bought it without a second thought. I'll fix that Painkiller code too. That was from a while back, but I didn't think to see if it expired. Oh well, it's worth the extra dollar.

Yeah, I bought it anyway, because, well, what's a dollar worth these days...

edit: oh yeah, I bought Outcast too. I've been cheerfully giving myself tension headaches trying to get it to stretch out to the entire screen but no dice so far, although I did manage to get it running on a resolution visible to the naked eye. I guess I can live with the letterbox but I'd be happy to trade 1999-quality sharpness for screen-filling pixelation. It may be time to stop trying. It's good to know when to quit sometimes. Oh well

sharts fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 22, 2010

mfny
Aug 17, 2008

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

It's OK, it takes the 2D square tile-maps to the limit of what they're capable of, but that's not a lot even compared to Doom. It was intended to be another game like Wolfenstein 3D, but iD and Apogee split apart and it was turned into RotT.

There are some great powerups, though.

The graphics have aged really terribly.

ROTT's soundtrack is pretty awesome to. "Goin' Down the Fast Way" is pretty much one of my favourite game music tracks.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jesus Christ, Outcast has such a long intro. I nodded off a few times missing things like gamesave I mean Gaamsaav. Good thing there's a lexicon in here. I'll also need to change this control setup if that's possible because I'm spoiled on WASD.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

GreatGreen posted:

You know what GoG needs?

Terminal Velocity

I remember that I played Fury3 first, then found TV and thought it was a blatant ripoff of the game. I'd like to see Fury3 show up here, but I'm sure getting Microsoft on board will be impossible!

Andrigaar posted:

RR was one of the hardest Build games out there with the Witchaven games barely edging it out with even more massive odds of dying on normal or easy. Not that there were a lot of Build games, but pretty much all of them were punishingly difficult really.

Heh, I remember NAM being pretty difficult. Tried to simulate the real difficulties of the Vietnam war or some nonsense...not a very good game...I also think it came out way after Build was past its prime.

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

Original_Z posted:

I remember that I played Fury3 first, then found TV and thought it was a blatant ripoff of the game. I'd like to see Fury3 show up here, but I'm sure getting Microsoft on board will be impossible!

If you scroll all the way down the developers page it turns out they did Terminal Velocity, Fury3, and another game called Hellbender.

We need all three of these games on gog right now.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I remember playing HellBender! I'm not a fan of flying games much, but that game was fun and I remember at the time being amazed at the graphics.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Something I wouldn't mind seeing on GOG is Inferno. I seem to remember it featuring fairly seamless transitions from space flight to planetary and even underwater "flight", as well as allowing you to fly through the interior of certain buildings/bases to blow further poo poo up. I never could make much sense of the game itself back then, but the scale seemed kind of impressive at the time.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Septerra Core is working now I put a new QTS file in the directory, but it skips the videos. I tried doing what the GOG forums said (disable DirectDraw Acceleration in Quicktime), but it did not work. :(

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

al-azad posted:

Jesus Christ, Outcast has such a long intro. I nodded off a few times missing things like gamesave I mean Gaamsaav. Good thing there's a lexicon in here. I'll also need to change this control setup if that's possible because I'm spoiled on WASD.

The start up window has a configuration editor. Click the joystick icon and scroll through all the functions with the up and down arrow keys. It isn't super, but it's better than most of the PC ports of console games give you these days!

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Yeah the opening of Outcast was so loving long and BORING. I didn't wanna skip it because I might miss something, but gently caress.

When I saw "Bruno Bwhatever Presents" I got kinda excited. He's the Alone in the Dark guy, right?

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

I am thinking of getting Gothic 2 Gold, but I've heard the Night of the Raven expansion ramps up the difficulty on an already tough game. I vaguely remember hearing about some mod or tweak or something make the game a little less brutal. Anyone know what I am talking about?

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Essobie posted:

The start up window has a configuration editor. Click the joystick icon and scroll through all the functions with the up and down arrow keys. It isn't super, but it's better than most of the PC ports of console games give you these days!

Outcast was a console game?

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

AxeManiac posted:

Outcast was a console game?

I think he's just comparing it to some of the common poo poo we have to deal with on PCs these days with crappy console ports being the norm.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Wow, like 3 hours just flew by playing moo2 on my laptop resting in bed. I've never played it before, it spooked me a bit, but I got the hang of it and it's mighty fun.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

"I have seen you, Ulukai. Come, speak to me." :argh:

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

MMAgCh posted:

Something I wouldn't mind seeing on GOG is Inferno. I seem to remember it featuring fairly seamless transitions from space flight to planetary and even underwater "flight", as well as allowing you to fly through the interior of certain buildings/bases to blow further poo poo up. I never could make much sense of the game itself back then, but the scale seemed kind of impressive at the time.
No one can predict what those insane aliens will do next.

I've never played Inferno, but it's got a pretty rad soundtrack by Alien Sex Fiend. I've always wanted to play it since I heard that, would love if GOG get it.

HellBender was awesome, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharts
Jul 3, 2008

a̸ ̕s̡cŗeam͟i͠ng͞ ͘sk͏u̢l̨l i̡s y͝o͡ųr o͡n͟l͞y ͢comp̛ani̡o͞n͝

Commissar Canuck posted:

I am thinking of getting Gothic 2 Gold, but I've heard the Night of the Raven expansion ramps up the difficulty on an already tough game. I vaguely remember hearing about some mod or tweak or something make the game a little less brutal. Anyone know what I am talking about?

You mean this? I bought Gothic 2 when it was on offer a couple weeks ago and was killed by the first goblin I encountered, searched for and installed that program and it's been plain sailing since (though I have died several times, but that's life). It's a slider that changes the amount of experience you get and a bunch of other stuff. You can change it to whatever's right for you; I put everything somewhere between the "Easy" and "NotR Default" slider positions.

You should definitely get it if you like fantasy RPG's, what I've played of it (only the first hour or so, but I killed some bandits, worked on a farm and pissed off a pirate before I got to the town) is really immersive. The combat kind of blows even with the patch though, near as I can tell there's no auto-aim so you might end up stabbing an ally during a battle by accident.