Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Ugh gently caress I've got this game sitting at home waiting for me and I haven't played since the import. Now I need to figure out what class to play!!

I seem to remember it being pretty easy with a magic user but then I got raped by those laser beam shooting shadow things and couldn't beat that level. :saddowns:

Basically what I'm asking for is a slight nudge in the "do this for the easiest time" direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

Yodzilla posted:

Ugh gently caress I've got this game sitting at home waiting for me and I haven't played since the import. Now I need to figure out what class to play!!

I seem to remember it being pretty easy with a magic user but then I got raped by those laser beam shooting shadow things and couldn't beat that level. :saddowns:

Basically what I'm asking for is a slight nudge in the "do this for the easiest time" direction.

Easiest way to beat this game is to get your magic to 10 buy soul arrow and then beat armor spider, take the shortcut ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXV47KoObyY ) straight down to flamelurker use soul arrow on him there is a safe spot (behind him and his left when you first enter the boss room) get there with thief ring behind him in a corner with a ribcage for defense, then on to dragon god. 4-1 can be beaten with a club, mace, or just your plain fist. Block with shield and then punch (takes about 3-4 punches a skellie), use the shortcut to get the regenerator's ring ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iDnktksr0E ) then pound the adjudicator with the crescent falchion you get in 4-1. 4-2 you need a bow then snipe the first reaper. Second reaper you can snipe from that walkway which gets rid of those laser beam shadows. Third reaper you just run/roll past him down the stairs and either turn around and kill him or move on to the old hero. Storm King is beaten easily with the sword run around in small circles when shot at by the manta rays and they'll miss you then return the attacks with sword. You can do both these worlds without leveling up at all.

IBentMyWookie fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 30, 2010

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Holy balls you make it sound so easy.

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

Yodzilla posted:

Holy balls you make it sound so easy.

It is pretty easy if you want to cheese it. I mean with two spells (soul arrow and anti magic field (you can get that spell with the storm king's soul and after you free saint urbain all in world 4) you can pretty much rock three of the 5 worlds. Only ones you can't literally speed through would be world 5 because it's so drat huge and world 1 which gets really difficult after the tower knight. World three is pathetically easy if you have anti magic field. Even world 5 is relatively easy if you skip the giant goblins with a thief ring and head straight for bosses. If you want an easy time with world 5 enemies just get the dragon bone smasher or keel smasher in the japan version and one hit all the enemies other than the giant goblins which I hate the most. The toughest boss is maneater which you can beat through cheese too if you shoot him through the fog door and a short bow you need like 300 arrows have the clever rat's ring and use makoto to get your health down to 30%~ then on the second maneater you use your heaviest dmg weapon to hit him only once then roll after he attacks. If you get good at dodging his pounces he's pretty easy. The key to boss fights is to attack only once or twice and then roll away except the Old Hero which you can swing away if you can position yourself directly between his legs he can't hit you while you're under him.

IBentMyWookie fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 30, 2010

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
In 2-3, as long as the boss hasn't noticed you at the bottom path a single time since you shot the first arrow into him, every now and then, he will shift his gaze up to the top area for about 12 seconds to see if you're still there. You use that time to run out and smash whatever rubble is next in line.

If he notices you at the bottom just once, though, he will never look up the top again, even if you run back up the top.

After I realized I could use magic manually aimed to smash the rubble, I just did that, though.

edit: did all of World 2 in body form, woo, got me a keel smasher. But the Online tenancy caused it to go back to neutral before I could show it to Scirvir.

edit 2: Anyone got the asian version with a character that can join in on my SL71 character?

Mug fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 1, 2010

Syvere
Apr 25, 2010
I'm glad that this is finally coming to Europe too. Got my amazon preorder in a few weeks ago. Can't wait for June 25th!

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Actually for Storm King you just go inside the destroyed house and stay in one of the corners, you're 99% safe there to just sit and spam attack.

I'm close to the end now, beat everything except 1-4 and all of World 5, purposely saved for the end. I've done all white tendency events in Worlds 1-4 as well, all while online (suck it). I'm still hesitant about stats since I don't like the idea of pumping magic sky-high, it's good but melee is way more satisfying, so I think I'll try to focus more on that. I don't think I'll be able to do sufficient damage with Moon/Crescent weapons, though, compared to other people.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Kiranamos posted:

Actually for Storm King you just go inside the destroyed house and stay in one of the corners, you're 99% safe there to just sit and spam attack.

Not sure if you're replying to me, but I was talking about Dragon God.

Did Storm King by myself for the first time today, it was good, I used the safe spot right near the fog gate, though. Took a while.

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009
Grabbed this game. Didn't get why everyone was saying it was so hard, since I had made it through the first boss, only dying twice (both by stupid mistakes on my own part).

Then I ran along a wall, being chased by a dragon, and right into a cohort of archers and two heavily-armored axemen. Never stood a chance. :saddowns:

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

I must admit, I am fond of you humans.

May you enjoy serendipity,

And may the Age of Fire perpetuate.

7u880y posted:

It is the safest way for sure, but clearing the rubble with magic that requires manual aiming is a bother with how horrible the manual aim for magic is, and it just feels unintended that you can clear rubble that way, partially because bows can't damage the rubble and partially because you have to re-adjust your aim in between succesful hits to cause damage to the rubble with magic, despite obviously hitting the rubble.
Manually aiming/noscoping magic isn't THAT hard, especially if the thing you want to hit is right in front of you, it's even easier if you're using Fire Spray in that spot like you should be, because you can adjust the aim on the fly.

Patman
Oct 11, 2004

Flamelurker was easily the most difficult boss for me to kill (haven't done 1-4 yet).

Man Eater was easy due to warding and Meat Cleaver.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Patman posted:

Flamelurker was easily the most difficult boss for me to kill (haven't done 1-4 yet).

Man Eater was easy due to warding and Meat Cleaver.

1-4 is the easiest boss in the game if you have the fragrant ring or enough spice or a bunch of arrows to deal with the blocks. It can be slow, though.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I did 1-4 as a pure melee character first time around and man did that guy suck.

Second time I was a rapier wielding spellcaster. I had three fresh spices. Took me a while, but that rear end in a top hat went down.

Now I'm going to be approaching him as a temple knight. I'm a little scared, because faith spells take forever.

XDerangedHermitX
Jan 27, 2009
Yo, will anyone on the Asian version help me transfer a pure bladestone to another character?

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

XDerangedHermitX posted:

Yo, will anyone on the Asian version help me transfer a pure bladestone to another character?

I will definitely do this, I'm about SL100. My PSN id is CthulhuFhtagn

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
If he's out of level range, I've got a 128 and a 60ish character I could hop onto.

What's your Soul Level?

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 05:35 on May 3, 2010

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Oh yeah I got a 60ish one too.

Notinghamington
Oct 24, 2008

You're Lonely Rolling Gem
Today I had something interesting happen to me. After getting rid of That fat, yellow guy in the shrine of storms, like clock work, a black phantom invades me. I see him and prepare to kill him with my ignite spell... he then bows to me and draws his sword. The closer I try to get to him the more he run away, I'm confused at this point. I then receive a message that says "you don't want to?" I have no idea what this mean, I think it's a trap, and go hunting. I don't see him after a while, but somehow I end up getting a bunch of souls... another message comes up saying "BP in pit dead", I'm so confused at this point I ask what he's doing, turns out he's helping me. My mind was blown, he was doing the work of a blue phantom... he let me kill him when we got to the Old One.

Is this normal? because I'm lost to the whole Demon's Souls etiquette.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
BP helping you is loving stupid, no one does that. He's retarded.

What "fat yellow guy" in shrine of storms? What do you mean you got to the old one? There's things in your story that I don't understand HELP ME

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

The Adjudicator is a fat and yellow guy, the Old One probably Old Hero.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
I started a hunter then a big demon one shot killed me. Awesome game.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

!amicable posted:

It's a sign that the best has yet to come.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

!amicable posted:

Don't worry, you'll get your revenge on that rear end in a top hat later.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

A Nice Boy posted:

Don't worry, you'll get your revenge on that rear end in a top hat later.

Are hunters generally a good starting class? I was thinking temple knight would be cooler, but who knows.

Also which world should I hit up now?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

!amicable posted:

Are hunters generally a good starting class? I was thinking temple knight would be cooler, but who knows.

Also which world should I hit up now?

Your class really doesn't have a long term impact on the game. The classes that start with magic or miracles have a bit of an advantage very early on, but once you start leveling up it's basically irrelevant.

As for worlds, I always recommend doing 1-1, 1-2, 4-1, 2-1, 2-2, 2-3 in that order, and then clean up the rest afterward (saving world 5 for last).

e: In case you don't know how the worlds are numbered:

Crowbear posted:

Starting with the Archstone for the palace world (Boletaria) as 1, they're numbered in order going up the stairs, then back down on the other side.

So the one to the right of Boletaria is World 2 (Stonefang Tunnel), the one at the top of the stairs is 3 (Tower of Latria), the one to the right of that is 4 (Shrine of Storms), and the one at the bottom of the stairs on the right is 5 (Hell, aka Valley of Defilement).

Also, each world is broken down into 3 or 4 stages, with each ending in a boss. So World 1 up to Phalanx is 1-1, from Phalanx to Tower Knight is 1-2, etc.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
After picking up this game from someone in SA-Mart, I've spent only about an hour or so with it so far.

I picked a knight so I can, you know, be the guy on the cover of the game.

Was I not supposed to go towards the red-eyed knight yet? A few pages back someone mentions that you don't bother with him until later? But why put him there, letting him stare at me so early on. The flowchart made it seem like I might have a chance.

After that tutorial, I figured it would be awhile until something like that happened again in the game. Why?? Why??

And it is okay if I die a lot, right? I may have been reading this thread to prematurely to getting this game. I realize that you can get your collected souls back if you go to the spot you've died (I've tried to get old red eyes 3 times before calling it quits). But since I'm still so early in the game, should I even recover those souls that I lost to red eyes (its about 2000 having to redo that beginning part of Boletaria 3 times).

I have no idea why its 2000 for only killing about 20 or so dudes. I thought it would be 1 soul per 1 enemy killed.

I'm a Zelda guy, not a big RPG guy.

Kramdar fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 3, 2010

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
Quote is not edit. I thought I'd never do this.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Kramdar posted:

After picking up this game from someone in SA-Mart, I've spent only about an hour or so with it so far.

I picked a knight so I can, you know, be the guy on the cover of the game.

Was I not supposed to go towards the red-eyed knight yet? A few pages back someone mentions that you don't bother with him until later? But why put him there, letting him stare at me so early on. The flowchart made it seem like I might have a chance.

After that tutorial, I figured it would be awhile until something like that happened again in the game. Why?? Why??

And it is okay if I die a lot, right? I may have been reading this thread to prematurely to getting this game. I realize that you can get your collected souls back if you go to the spot you've died (I've tried to get old red eyes 3 times before calling it quits). But since I'm still so early in the game, should I even recover those souls that I lost to red eyes (its about 2000 having to redo that beginning part of Boletaria 3 times).

I have no idea why its 2000 for only killing about 20 or so dudes. I thought it would be 1 soul per 1 enemy killed.

I'm a Zelda guy, not a big RPG guy.

You should absolutely stay away from the red eye knight until much later in the game. The door behind him is locked and you don't get the key to it for a while. As for why he's there? It's because this is Demon's Souls, bitch, and Demon's Souls hates you :smugdog: (but really, there are very very few bitch moves like that in the game. I can count on one hand the number of deaths I had that I considered unfair, and that's spread across 4 playthroughs)

Dying a lot is absolutely part of the game. If you have the chance to get back to your bloodstain and pick up the souls you lost, there's absolutely not reason not to, but the thing to remember is that if you lose your souls and can't recover them, it's really not that big a deal and don't let it frustrate you.

Every time you die, try and figure out what you did wrong and correct it. The biggest thing in this game is that you get better at it as you go along, and correcting your mistakes is the best way to do that.

Souls are definitely not 1 per enemy, otherwise the later levels that require millions of souls each would be quite tedious :v:

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 3, 2010

Notinghamington
Oct 24, 2008

You're Lonely Rolling Gem

Healbot posted:

The Adjudicator is a fat and yellow guy, the Old One probably Old Hero.

Yeah, what this guys said... still trying to remember the names of the demon's.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Notinghamington posted:

Yeah, what this guys said... still trying to remember the names of the demon's.

When people say 2-2's boss is "Flamelurker" they're using his formal name, his casual name is "YOU MOTHER FUCKER" accompanied by the whistling sound of a controller flying across a room and a grown man crying

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
I just beat 1-1. It was easy once I stopped ramming my head against that read fucker. Honestly it's usually pretty clear where you should not go once you get 1-shotted. Also if you play online you can find neat notes.

I also restarted as a thief cause, why not. I'm on as Bok_Choi I guess?

Takin a break now, might play more later this week.

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

I must admit, I am fond of you humans.

May you enjoy serendipity,

And may the Age of Fire perpetuate.
Playing as an aggressive DEX character is pretty fun until you realize how nigh-impossible it is to get a Pure Sharpstone. Having an A rating in DEX is still pretty good though.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Kramdar posted:

The game needs to gently caress you. NEEDS

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Kaptain K posted:

Playing as an aggressive DEX character is pretty fun until you realize how nigh-impossible it is to get a Pure Sharpstone. Having an A rating in DEX is still pretty good though.

I am pumping END and INT. It seems like DEX>STR on all accounts. I really have no clue what I am doing and I'm too lazy to min-max this game.

I think I have Slevel 14 now.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Kramdar posted:

I like to think of it this way: The number of souls you get from a guy is the number of players that guy has personally killed. I know it's not actually true but when I get a hundred souls from someone I like to feel like those numerous red bloodstains around him have been AVENGED! :black101:

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Ape Agitator posted:

I like to think of it this way: The number of souls you get from a guy is the number of players that guy has personally killed. I know it's not actually true but when I get a hundred souls from someone I like to feel like those numerous red bloodstains around him have been AVENGED! :black101:

Well, I mean this works when you think that it might be how many Boletarian citizens that monster killed! Those walkin' dudes can't kill many people, but you figure the dragons and the major demons probably ate a buttload of moms and pops...

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Finally slogged through world 5, got it to pure white and picked up Istarelle! I've been using a winged spear since 1-1 so now all the points pumped into faith will finally pay off.

But encountered a horrible bug. I had Astarea's demon soul and went straight to Blacksmith Ed. When I got there, the soul was gone from my inventory as well as the Grey Demon Soul from Vanguard that was in there too!

DON'T LEAVE DEMON SOULS IN YOUR INVENTORY. GIVE THEM TO STOCKPILE THOMAS

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
1-2 and 2-1 are both pretty hard without some sort of fire spells. This game is brutal fun.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

For most of world 2 you just need a good piercing weapon -- those miners go down like a bag of poo poo from em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

For most of world 2 you just need a good piercing weapon -- those miners go down like a bag of poo poo from em.

Hrm. I dunno-some dude with fire spells lit me the gently caress up.

• Locked thread