Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noir desir
Jul 9, 2007

by Ozma

Too Fresh posted:

~bump from March, what's up SA SA crew?~

Flying to Santiago next week, getting pretty excited :)

Quick question: What's the deal with power sockets? I've had a look at wikipedia/other internet sites and it seems to suggest that there are about 3/4 different types used around South America in different countries and each country has multiple types etc.

wHat's the best way to handle recharging my digital camera and ipod? Should I purchase some power adapters in NZ? Will it be better to buy them when I get to SA? At the moment I just have a USB cable for my ipod, should I get a separate power charger so that I can recharge it off power points?

Thanks guys!

If you're from nz go to kathmandu or whatever and buy one of the standard european power plug things, they'll fit everything in s/america and cost like $30 less than the bullshit universal ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Noir desir posted:

If you're from nz go to kathmandu or whatever and buy one of the standard european power plug things, they'll fit everything in s/america and cost like $30 less than the bullshit universal ones

Is it mostly euro? Everything I was looking at said it would be both euro/usa, but didn't really give a ratio. I'm doing Peru/Bolivia/Brazil.

Also it's definitely worth buying the adaptors while in NZ because NZ/Aus plugs are less likely to be stocked compared to uk/us/euro.

Noir desir
Jul 9, 2007

by Ozma

NZAmoeba posted:

Is it mostly euro? Everything I was looking at said it would be both euro/usa, but didn't really give a ratio. I'm doing Peru/Bolivia/Brazil.

Also it's definitely worth buying the adaptors while in NZ because NZ/Aus plugs are less likely to be stocked compared to uk/us/euro.

I just brought a Euro one when I did peru/bolivia/brazil/argentina and it worked out fine. There were only a couple of really old buildings we stayed in where they only had the usa one but then I just borrowed somebody elses or ended up not having to charge anything anyway. My friend bought one of those universal adapter things to take from home but it was quite bulky and poorly made & ended up getting broken and thrown away pretty quick, lol.

Too Fresh
Jan 20, 2004

Noir desir posted:

I just brought a Euro one when I did peru/bolivia/brazil/argentina and it worked out fine. There were only a couple of really old buildings we stayed in where they only had the usa one but then I just borrowed somebody elses or ended up not having to charge anything anyway. My friend bought one of those universal adapter things to take from home but it was quite bulky and poorly made & ended up getting broken and thrown away pretty quick, lol.

ya cos I was plnaning on going to chile & colombia & ecuador as well, so I'm not sure if they would be different! plus I'm going to spend a month or so in the USA and Europe each anyway, so I might just get a USA one, and a Euro one and that should cover most all of South America plus will be useful later on.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Too Fresh posted:

Quick question: What's the deal with power sockets? I've had a look at wikipedia/other internet sites and it seems to suggest that there are about 3/4 different types used around South America in different countries and each country has multiple types etc.

Bookmark these!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_power_around_the_world
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power_plugs_and_sockets

Since you don't live in the US, JP or the EU you probably get the standard "international" chargers which will handle 110-250v @ 50-60hz so you just need a $20 USD "universal adapter" instead of a much more expensive adapter+transformer.

I live in the US and the only device I took with me on my trip that wasn't universal was my Gameboy DS of all things but I left it on the plane in Colombia so..

I used this one http://www.rei.com/product/775148 it's pretty rad and did not break, and fit in a lot of outlets that other people's adapters couldn't stay in. It now sits on my desk and I fidget with the sliding parts constantly and it still hasn't broken so it gets an A+ in my book.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

American Airlines keeps running these $380 roundtrip ticket specials to San Salvador from Dallas. Any thoughts? I'm thinking 2 weeks, hit up the capital cities of El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras by bus (they're all within 150 miles of each other it looks like) and then poke around some smaller cities too. Mid to Late May.

Marxist Glue
Jan 12, 2007

GLUE GLUEEEEE GLUUUUUUEEE, Karl Marx! GLUUUEEE GLUE GLLLUUUUUEEEEEE!!!!
So I only have a little over $1,000 and I have about 10 days off in June and I'm trying to find some place to travel that's pretty cheap to stay in and interesting to visit. I naturally thought of Central or South America.

Can anyone recommend somewhere? I'm going to be visiting my brother in Portland first, and then I'm thinking of either departing from LAX or, preferably, from Phoenix (since I live in Tucson, AZ) since it's closer to home. I am going to put the ticket from Portland>PHX on my credit card, so that won't be coming out of my travelling budget.

Anyway, any recommendations/helpful tips would be appreciated.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

$1000 for airfare, or for everything total including airfare? Mexico city is a lot further than most people think, and the airfare will eat up around $400 round trip. $600 should last you 10 days once you get there no problem. You can probably get a direct flight from PHX. Going to South America your options are a lot more limited; generally if you want a specific date you are going to end up flying out of LAX HOU or MIA, although it's possible to find direct flights from other airports. American Airlines flies twice weekly from DFW to Buenos Aires for example.

You might look into combining your Portland->PHX flight into an extended layover. Call up your favorite airline and ask to talk to their international travel department.

Expect to pay around $400-600 each way for a ticket to Panama or anywhere south of there. The round trip airfare to South America might exceed your entire budget. Central America is a cheaper bet, and you won't waste two entire days of your trip in the airport.

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

^^ Have a look at Spirit airlines.. they run insane sales out of Miami (<$100 tickets to Lima / Bogota).. maybe you could snag a cheap ticket to Miami?

Hadlock posted:

American Airlines keeps running these $380 roundtrip ticket specials to San Salvador from Dallas. Any thoughts? I'm thinking 2 weeks, hit up the capital cities of El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras by bus (they're all within 150 miles of each other it looks like) and then poke around some smaller cities too. Mid to Late May.

not been there but with those places I've heard is that they're great countries but there is little to no reason to spend any time (and many to not spend time) at all in San Salvador, Guatemala City or Tegucigalpa

Too Fresh
Jan 20, 2004
well I'm leaving today, thanks for all the help! hopefully I'll post with an update in 9 months or so, or sooner depending on how goony I'm feeling!

3rd World Dictator
Jun 28, 2006

Ask me about my tasty empanadas
Too Fresh, there are cyber cafes all over South America. You can use the internet as much as you like, if you're gone for 9 months I highly doubt you're gonna go all that time without touching a computer. So post updates!

Adnar posted:

buy one of those international units if it's a big worry which is universal to universal they're only about $40, otherwise just buy a new adaptor in each country off the street for $2.

Just moved to Uruguay for the next month. Montevideo is cold a quiet, perfect for studying.

How do you like it? I've been here for November. It's a shame you missed the summer, which is a really great season down here (although I supposed I spent a bit of it in Venezuela...but there's a reason all of the Argentinians flock here). I really really really really love Uruguay. Not so fond of Buenos Aires, although the food is incredible and it's really nice that it's there.

It's a shame it doesn't make it onto more people's itineraries, although it's hard to argue for someone to come from BsAs if it's not the summer.

Random note: Venezuela, for all its dangers, is so goddamn beautiful. The beaches are absolutely phenomenal. Don't listen to Colombians. The beaches in Venezuela are better. That being said, Caracas is dangerous as hell, and you have to be very careful outside of Caracas...even if every person I met was really, really friendly (I have family in Venezuela though, but really, it's a weird dichotomy...you hear about all this danger, and it's real as hell, but everyone on the street is REALLY nice and outgoing). I really wish I could go back in June.

Too Fresh
Jan 20, 2004

3rd World Dictator posted:

Too Fresh, there are cyber cafes all over South America. You can use the internet as much as you like, if you're gone for 9 months I highly doubt you're gonna go all that time without touching a computer. So post updates!

I know but I've spent like the last 2 months being unemployed and sitting on my laptop all day reading somethingawful/facebook so some time away from the internet would be nice!

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

3rd World Dictator posted:

How do you like it? [Uruguay]

Random note: Venezuela, for all its dangers, is so goddamn beautiful. The beaches are absolutely phenomenal. Don't listen to Colombians. The beaches in Venezuela are better. That being said, Caracas is dangerous as hell, and you have to be very careful outside of Caracas...even if every person I met was really, really friendly (I have family in Venezuela though, but really, it's a weird dichotomy...you hear about all this danger, and it's real as hell, but everyone on the street is REALLY nice and outgoing). I really wish I could go back in June.

so so. I'm doing 6 hours a day of Spanish lessons so it suits my needs, I got a hostel for $150 for the MONTH because it's off season so I can't complain. Having lived the last 6 months in Bogota and being from Sydney I find it a bit quiet but like I said it suits me, BA would have been impossible for me to study.. too many foreigners and people speaking english at me. 5 degrees more heat wouldn't hurt though.

Venezuela, I think I wrote up my trip report a few months ago.. We went from Santa Marta (col) -> Coro -> Chicirivichi -> Merida -> Los LLanos and it was outstanding.. never any problem with safety or security (apart from getting our passports checks A LOT) Venezuelans say the same thing about Colombia, saying there' Gurillas in the streets etc, all horrible propgranda on both side. Only problem with Chechirivichi was it was a feria weekend so the Cayos were like mosh pits and every local docked their boat 10 yard from the beach and blasted Reggeton, I'm told it's usually much nicer. Los LLanos tour was one of the best things I've done.

Once you work out the blackmarket currency it's cheap as gently caress too.

edit:

here's my blog entries on Venezuela if anyone wants a look:

http://4for10.net/adan/Words/Entries/2009/8/12_Cartagena%2C_Santa_Marta%2C_Maicao%2C_Maracaibo%2C_Coro...html

http://4for10.net/adan/Words/Entries/2009/8/17_Venezuela.html
http://4for10.net/adan/Words/Entries/2009/8/20_Entry_1.html
http://4for10.net/adan/Words/Entries/2009/8/24_Entry_1.html

Mrs with a baby Anaconda:

Adnar fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 24, 2010

3rd World Dictator
Jun 28, 2006

Hah, awesome, had not clue you went to Venezuela as well. Glad you enjoyed it (wish there was a flag emoticon with Chavez giving a tear...). You guys really explored a ton. Seeing your experience in Chichirivichi makes me glad that on my last trip we went to Choroni in the offseason...we were able to get to a natural lagoon type thing called La Ciénega that was a crystal clear natural pool. It was incredible. I still need to go back and do the south though...

Good luck with the Spanish--how much is it costing you for that intensive program?

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

I'm doing it through here:

http://www.academiauruguay.com/

It's $200USD per week for 4 hours of group and I'm doing some privates too. There's cheaper about but this was the most reputable and after loving about so much in the last year I felt it better to pay the cash and do it well.

I'm really struggling going back to classes after so long... I can speak quite a lot after being here so long but most of it's informal with intermittent lessons so I'm trying to unwrap all my bad habits... and learn Vos. Doesn't help when random words are completely different here either.

3rd World Dictator
Jun 28, 2006

I use the voseo now and my Venezuelan family gives me poo poo for it. Rioplatense supremacy. Getting rid of the bad habits really is the hardest part...the local slang will come as you socialize more with people. If you're living with english speakers who are also studying, I highly recommend trying to speak in spanish with them outside of class, it makes a huge difference.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Whats a good country to travel either solo or with one friend? I am thinking going to either Panama, Nicaragua or Costa Rica for four days.

What would be the best destination out of these places for that situation?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I'm planning a second trip to Peru, but I could do with some input.
My first trip was basically: Lima, Paracas/Pisco, Cuzco, Arequipa and Puno. Basically the South, so this time I'm looking at the North.

The plan would be something like: Lima, Trujillo, Chiclayo or Lambayeque, Leymebamba and Chachapoyas. The trip would be some time around November or December, about two weeks.

Any tips on what to do/see/eat around these places? Any places I absolutely must visit or avoid? :)

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD
Anybody live in the topic area? My parents are set on retiring down there (I'm from the US) and I hope to follow them there. Any suggestions? They're still pretty open on the idea and plan on traveling down there a few times to scout things out.

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

Going to the end of the world today, Ushuaia, Argentina.

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

Adnar posted:

Going to the end of the world today, Ushuaia, Argentina.

Que Chévere! You should get a cruise to Antarctica while you are near there.

Pusscat
Apr 1, 2005

What's new, Pusscat?
Any of you guys been to Paraguay recently?

I'm getting to go on an all expenses paid trip in 2 weeks (I love love love my job in the travel industry!), but I have a couple of questions:

Currency - I know it's the guarani. Should I order some from a bank here or just take USD and change when I'm there? [I'm only going for 10 days]

Power plugs - 2 flat pins or 2 round pins?

Temperature wise - anybody been there in May? Weather websites are saying mid 20s and around the 10s for nightime (celsius).

Any particularly good souvenirs? Local handicrafts etc?

Also - Venezuela. Incredible country but my god the planes are the worst. I have travelled a lot in Latin America but never have I had to keep my eye on the screens so much as with those domestic flights (I took 8 internal flights in my trip there. ARGH!) - they just kept changing gate with no annoucements, despite having staff standing at the check in desks.

If people are in Merida in the 2 weeks in the run up to Christmas then an absolute must is to attend the ridiculous Carretas. They basically shut down a major road and throw a massive party. People make their own go karts from pieces of wood, and there are some mega trains designed to carry up to 100 people. You then hurtle down this hill with only a wooden stick as a break. I nearly broke my foot when one of the mega karts ran over me. Ridiculously dangerous but hilarious.

I've got loads of Venezuela advice if anyone needs it.

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
Are you going to stay in Asuncion or in the country side?.
Temperature wise, expect high temperatures and humidity but colder nights.

Pusscat
Apr 1, 2005

What's new, Pusscat?
A bit in Asuncion, Filadefia (Chaco), Encarnacion, Ciudad del Este and across to Iguazu Falls.

I guess I need to find some lightweight, breathable smart clothes for the business parts!

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

DustingDuvet posted:

Que Chévere! You should get a cruise to Antarctica while you are near there.

No chance, they're are 4k min.

Made a Colombian thread in GBS:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3302004

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

Colombia is really facing a battle to change it's rep :(

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wow, the buses in Belize sure suck. Yellow school buses with way too many people crammed on and then you get to a checkpoint and the driver yells "everyone sit down!" and people get crammed three or four to a seat.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Someone give me something to do by myself in Bogota for 3 days!

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Someone give me something to do by myself in Bogota for 3 days!

Montserrat, national police museum, bortero museum, museo de oro, go to watch Santa Fe play at El Campin, think about a day trip to the salt cathedral, get people from a hostel to party with in the zona t, go to Andres Carne de res (in zona t or preferably on Saturday in Chia) eat at El Corral (gourmet)

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

Adnar posted:

Montserrat, national police museum, bortero museum, museo de oro, go to watch Santa Fe play at El Campin, think about a day trip to the salt cathedral, get people from a hostel to party with in the zona t, go to Andres Carne de res (in zona t or preferably on Saturday in Chia) eat at El Corral (gourmet)

To add to that here are some more suggestions.

-Ciclovia on Sunday where you can ride a bike around the city without any cars on the streets
-Friday night on La Septima (main street downtown) to see tons of street performers and buy crafts
-Walk around downtown through La Candelaria down past Plaza Bolivar
-Walk around the Javeriana area and try and meet some nice looking students
-Check out the Rosario neighborhood for some really nice cafes and restaurants
-Eat dessert at Crepes & Waffles

Klogdor
Jul 17, 2007
So, I've quit my job, and plan on going to central america with a friend in september, I only have about 8k$ and limited backpacking experience, and a one-way ticket for now, am I going to die ?

on a more serious note, I'm a pale Norwegian and planned on starting from Mexico city as that seems like the cheapest place to fly to. any route suggestions after that ?

Eurekapile
Jan 9, 2008

don't horace around
Any tips for finding/planning a trip to Costa Rica?

We are doing a two person trip from June 16th-23rd.

We have a deal to get round trip airfare for 370 per person. Should we jump on this price?

We don't have anything in mind for sleeping though. We want to stay in different places during the week, any recommendations on a cheap way to do this? What is a good price to shoot for for hotels?

TheLizard
Oct 27, 2004

I am the Lizard Queen!

Eurekapile posted:

We have a deal to get round trip airfare for 370 per person. Should we jump on this price?

From where? A few years ago I flew IAD-IAH-SJO for $230 round trip.

Also, if you have some money go here, because it's incredible:

http://www.pacuarelodge.com/

Eurekapile
Jan 9, 2008

don't horace around

TheLizard posted:

From where? A few years ago I flew IAD-IAH-SJO for $230 round trip.

Also, if you have some money go here, because it's incredible:

http://www.pacuarelodge.com/

$647.10 for two tickets there and back, from Chicago->Houston->SJO. We are from Cincinnati but the Megabus makes it cheap and easy to get to Chicago. How did you get $230?

It's at least better than the expedia rates of about 500 per person. daamn.

TheLizard
Oct 27, 2004

I am the Lizard Queen!

Eurekapile posted:

$647.10 for two tickets there and back, from Chicago->Houston->SJO. We are from Cincinnati but the Megabus makes it cheap and easy to get to Chicago. How did you get $230?

It's at least better than the expedia rates of about 500 per person. daamn.

It was in 2007; I'm just a lucky traveler sometimes - I get amazing airfare a lot.

Kayak is showing $308 for those dates from Midway-ATL-SJO.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Any suggestions for a good hotel in Bogota? I have a good sized budget, so I would prefer something nicer. However I would also like to be around the tourist area (La Calendria?) if possible.

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Any suggestions for a good hotel in Bogota? I have a good sized budget, so I would prefer something nicer. However I would also like to be around the tourist area (La Calendria?) if possible.

Try Hotel Casa Deco at Calle 14 # 2-30 in La Candelaria.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g294074-d1550425-Reviews-Hotel_Casa_Deco-Bogota.html

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

DustingDuvet posted:

Try Hotel Casa Deco at Calle 14 # 2-30 in La Candelaria.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g294074-d1550425-Reviews-Hotel_Casa_Deco-Bogota.html

That is exactly what I am looking for, thanks.

How bad is La Candelaria for walking around? Is it a place I need to get a taxi to get everywhere or is it pretty safe to walk around to different restaurants & sights?

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

Cheesemaster200 posted:

That is exactly what I am looking for, thanks.

How bad is La Candelaria for walking around? Is it a place I need to get a taxi to get everywhere or is it pretty safe to walk around to different restaurants & sights?

It's more or less safe during the daytime and you risk getting mugged/beaten at night. But more recently they hired some private security throughout the area so it seems much safer at night. With that said in the past three years I have had no incidents personally neither day or night, but many have. Go at your own risk.

R2ICustomerSupport fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 16, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

DustingDuvet posted:

It's more or less safe during the daytime and you risk getting mugged/beaten at night. But more recently they hired some private security throughout the area so it seems much safer at night. With that said in the past three years I have had no incidents personally neither day or night, but many have. Go at your own risk.

Thanks

Its so friggin' hard to get any straight answer on security in Colombia. Trying to Google it always comes up with two camps. The people who think you will get killed/raped/kidnapped anywhere in Colombia, and the people who say it is perfectly safe anywhere.