Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

!amicable posted:

Hrm. I dunno-some dude with fire spells lit me the gently caress up.

The fat ministers in worlds 1 and 2 can be pretty tough, but they telegraph their attacks and are slow. You should be able to dodge them pretty easily, especially if you keep some range. AMF will render them almost as helpless as the mindflayers in world 3, though the ministers still have a melee attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Danthrax posted:

The fat ministers in worlds 1 and 2 can be pretty tough, but they telegraph their attacks and are slow. You should be able to dodge them pretty easily, especially if you keep some range. AMF will render them almost as helpless as the mindflayers in world 3, though the ministers still have a melee attack.

What's AMF?

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

!amicable posted:

What's AMF?

Anti-Magic Field. You need to beat 4-3 to possibly have that though.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
So I am at level 20 right now, but I have no clue how to build my character. It's sort of annoying to not be able to use any other weapons than my little dagger. What's a good build for my next 10 levels?

I have only beat 1-1 so far, but I think I can clear 1-2 and 2-1. I was messing around with a friend for a few hours. The co-op play is sort of annoying because getting into physical form is a bitch.

e:

Also when do I get new armor? The black leather is getting boring.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

!amicable posted:

Also when do I get new armor? The black leather is getting boring.

You gotta find it! You can check the wiki for whatever armor you want. Is there anything specific you were lookin' for? Regular leather? Plate? Knight armor? Mail?

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

gowb posted:

You gotta find it! You can check the wiki for whatever armor you want. Is there anything specific you were lookin' for? Regular leather? Plate? Knight armor? Mail?

It just seems like neither my friend nor I have seen anything. I checked the wiki and it looks like there are maybe 20 sets?

I dunno-I like playing dress up :3:

I guess after a few worlds all my stats will round out and I'll just equip whatever the gently caress, but right now I feel like my character is a huge pussy.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

!amicable posted:

It just seems like neither my friend nor I have seen anything. I checked the wiki and it looks like there are maybe 20 sets?

I dunno-I like playing dress up :3:

I guess after a few worlds all my stats will round out and I'll just equip whatever the gently caress, but right now I feel like my character is a huge pussy.

Yeah, there's not enought armor in the game is my opinion. If you start exploring a bunch you'll eventually find all the starting sets except for like...mail I think. My favorites are plate and fluted armor. But you gotta get enough endurance to wear them and still be able to roll! Its important to look kool

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
I think maybe the thing I like best about Demon's Souls, and the thing I hate the most the first time through, is that it literally doesn't tell you a single goddamned thing. How are you supposed to know how to do half the stuff in this game or that all sorts of poo poo even exists? Throw yourself off a cliff until you land just right, that's how.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Male of the Century posted:

I think maybe the thing I like best about Demon's Souls, and the thing I hate the most the first time through, is that it literally doesn't tell you a single goddamned thing. How are you supposed to know how to do half the stuff in this game or that all sorts of poo poo even exists? Throw yourself off a cliff until you hit the edge of the platform below you and slide off into the abyss going after some lovely sword 15 times in a row.

Fixed it for you!! Until I hit 5-2 I thought nothing could get worse than 3-2. How wrong I was.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Another tip: hard leather pants look good with ANYTHING.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Schwack posted:

Fixed it for you!! Until I hit 5-2 I thought nothing could get worse than 3-2. How wrong I was.

I just started 5-2. This is a joke, right? A million items stuck in unavoidable SLOW poisonous goop and some jellystarfish things mobbing you?

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Kiranamos posted:

I just started 5-2. This is a joke, right? A million items stuck in unavoidable SLOW poisonous goop and some jellystarfish things mobbing you?

It only gets better (worse)!

When you see a black phantom on your left and a Giant Goblin in front of you, truly you will know the meaning of Demon's Souls.

Annoying Reveler
Jul 16, 2002

Kiranamos posted:

At first, 5-2 was the most infuriating thing the game had thrown at me. Now, I won't go back in unless it's PBWT and I willingly go after giant goblins. Spend enough time in that swamp and the poison starts to get to your brain...

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

I must admit, I am fond of you humans.

May you enjoy serendipity,

And may the Age of Fire perpetuate.
Is there any point in upgrading the Hiltless/Gripless above +3? Considering it gets to S in DEX at +3 and (from what I can see) doesn't improve any beyond that.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Kaptain K posted:

Is there any point in upgrading the Hiltless/Gripless above +3? Considering it gets to S in DEX at +3 and (from what I can see) doesn't improve any beyond that.

The wiki's forum says that the +3 S and the +5 S are different so you'll be gaining something. I can probably support this because I've upgraded other items and seen a final damage that exceeded the difference in base damage despite having the same letter grade. Use at your own risk but it probably will improve.

DeviantLogic
May 1, 2009

V for Vegas posted:

DON'T LEAVE DEMON SOULS IN YOUR INVENTORY. GIVE THEM TO STOCKPILE THOMAS

Did they not show up in your inventory because you were looking for them after selecting one of the 5 item equip box thingys? The boss demon's souls won't show up in the inventory that way because they aren't equipable. But if you press start and click the very first menu option they should be down at the bottom of the grasses section.

If you did lose them to a glitch that would suck; I've never heard of of it happening before either.

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

Ape Agitator posted:

The wiki's forum says that the +3 S and the +5 S are different so you'll be gaining something. I can probably support this because I've upgraded other items and seen a final damage that exceeded the difference in base damage despite having the same letter grade. Use at your own risk but it probably will improve.
I should have focused on making a gripless +5 instead of a Sharp Uchigatana +5, it's so much easier.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Male of the Century posted:

I think maybe the thing I like best about Demon's Souls, and the thing I hate the most the first time through, is that it literally doesn't tell you a single goddamned thing. How are you supposed to know how to do half the stuff in this game or that all sorts of poo poo even exists? Throw yourself off a cliff until you land just right, that's how.
Die a lot. Read hints. Read bloodstains.

Honestly I have had a pretty easy time after the initial hump, it's just that most of the game involves me slowboating with my shield up baiting things to attack me then kiting them.

gowb posted:

Yeah, there's not enought armor in the game is my opinion. If you start exploring a bunch you'll eventually find all the starting sets except for like...mail I think. My favorites are plate and fluted armor. But you gotta get enough endurance to wear them and still be able to roll! Its important to look kool

I am focusing on raising all my stats to ~20. Starting as a thief sort of sucks because ultra high luck is not that useful.

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

Getting the Old King Armor is so easy (if you're willing to fight without honor) that I usually just wear whatever armor looks the best for most levels and focus on not getting hit, which you pretty much have no choice but to do on NG+ where no amount of armor or HP will save you from dying in a couple of hits.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
Holy loving cunts.
gently caress Fat Minister. gently caress those fat fucky fucks :argh:

I really do not like 2-1

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

!amicable posted:

Die a lot. Read hints. Read bloodstains.

Honestly I have had a pretty easy time after the initial hump, it's just that most of the game involves me slowboating with my shield up baiting things to attack me then kiting them.

I am focusing on raising all my stats to ~20. Starting as a thief sort of sucks because ultra high luck is not that useful.

Here's one thing the game doesn't tell you ingame:
The Blueblood sword has damage based on Luck, which is pretty useful if you started as a Thief and raised your luck a lot. Unfortunately it also needs 18 in just about every stat and you need to beat 5-3 so you won't have it until New Game+ probably.

I started as Thief and eventually had 20 in every stat too, leveling up to get whatever I needed to equip. It's good because while the beginning might be really hard, eventually you have different tools for every situation so you don't have to do things like force yourself to melee a boss that should not be meleed

!amicable posted:

Holy loving cunts.

I really do not like 2-1

Most shields don't block Fire damage so thats probably why they keep killing you. If you get a Purple Flame shield and the strength to equip it they become a lot easier, but personally I used a bow, went into first person, and just shot them then hid, then waited until they fired something then shot them again then repeated until they were dead

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Fat Minister: hehe heh hehe hehe *flame sound*

You died.

Demons Souls.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

force yourself to melee a boss that should not be meleed

This right here is wrong, there is no such thing, unless you count the dragons - and that's just stupid. Every boss should be meleed.

I know meleeing the red one is possible, but that wasn't the point I was making (dragons and vanguard count as mini bosses, vanguard should be meleed though).

Hamburger Test fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 4, 2010

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The wiki says you can melee the red dragon by hitting it's feet at a certain point. But that's a bit risky.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wC4dceL0HY

Keel smasher supremacy

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Here's one thing the game doesn't tell you ingame:
The Blueblood sword has damage based on Luck, which is pretty useful if you started as a Thief and raised your luck a lot. Unfortunately it also needs 18 in just about every stat and you need to beat 5-3 so you won't have it until New Game+ probably.

I started as Thief and eventually had 20 in every stat too, leveling up to get whatever I needed to equip. It's good because while the beginning might be really hard, eventually you have different tools for every situation so you don't have to do things like force yourself to melee a boss that should not be meleed

Most shields don't block Fire damage so thats probably why they keep killing you. If you get a Purple Flame shield and the strength to equip it they become a lot easier, but personally I used a bow, went into first person, and just shot them then hid, then waited until they fired something then shot them again then repeated until they were dead

I don't like wasting 10 arrows on one minister because they are like 20 souls a pop. I am farming Red Eye knights now, it's probably not exactly what I "should" be doing, but I can't help but want to farm for souls...

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

!amicable posted:

Holy loving cunts.

I really do not like 2-1

Yo I have a royal who's like level 22, if you have the US version of the game I'll phantom for ya. I can take out fat ministers in a couple flame tosses and one-shot the lizard men with soul arrow.

I'll probably cheese the 2-1 boss with arrows though, I don't really have the vitality or stamina to melee him with this character. Unless you wanna melee him then hell yeah let's do it. My PSN is Thrax23.

Danthrax fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 4, 2010

OptimistPrime
Jul 18, 2008

Kaptain K posted:

There are changes within the grade levels as well. For example, the Dragon Bone Smasher is B-ranking for strength from +1 to +5, but the actual stat bonus to attack power increased with each upgrade. At the upgrade screen, check the + next to the damage score.

And Flamelurker should not be melee'd - he should keep lunging into your Homing Soul Arrows. Best thing about NG+ is dropping him in seconds with that spell.

XDerangedHermitX
Jan 27, 2009
Yo, Mug- and anyone else on asian version who wanted to help me transfer a pure bladestone and get a sharp weapons trophy in the process- My PSN id and skype name are the same as my SA name (I'd prefer to do this over skype to maximize communication). Hopefully we could transfer some other items in the meantime to help with trophies?

I sent you a friend request Mug.

Edit:
should have mentioned that one char is 98 (gonna level her a bit) and the other is 103. Don't know exactly how close our levels have to be, I've never done this before.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

diospadre posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wC4dceL0HY

Keel smasher supremacy

Holy poo poo.

So I'm trying to do just about pure Mage and I'm having some trouble now. Maneater is raping my face and I feel like the more power I put into magic the harder everything gets with the level scaling and such. Is there any way to play the class without constantly drinking spices?

It looks like I'm pretty much following this build: http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=287is6b&s=5 I wish there were more magic focused armors and weapons.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Yodzilla posted:

So I'm trying to do just about pure Mage and I'm having some trouble now. Maneater is raping my face and I feel like the more power I put into magic the harder everything gets with the level scaling and such.

What level scaling? As far as I know the game has no level scaling at all though the world tendency will affect how hard things are. You are going to have to down a lot of spices, but those are dirt cheap anyways. You should have enough of a Mana pool so that you don't have to do it constantly at least.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

evilalien posted:

What level scaling? As far as I know the game has no level scaling at all though the world tendency will affect how hard things are. You are going to have to down a lot of spices, but those are dirt cheap anyways. You should have enough of a Mana pool so that you don't have to do it constantly at least.

I thought the higher your soul level was the harder enemies were. No? Maybe people have figured out the game more from when I last played it but I could have sworn it was advised not to dump too many points into leveling up your dude because everything else got a lot harder. If that in fact isn't the case then gently caress, time to farm some souls and beef up my intelligence.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Yodzilla posted:

I thought the higher your soul level was the harder enemies were. No? Maybe people have figured out the game more from when I last played it but I could have sworn it was advised not to dump too many points into leveling up your dude because everything else got a lot harder. If that in fact isn't the case then gently caress, time to farm some souls and beef up my intelligence.

There is definitely no enemy scaling like that. Enemies becomes far easier the more you level up.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Yodzilla posted:

It looks like I'm pretty much following this build: http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=287is6b&s=5 I wish there were more magic focused armors and weapons.

Thats a pretty unconventional build, I gotta say. I didnt even know there were Machetes/Mexicans in Demon's Souls!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

evilalien posted:

There is definitely no enemy scaling like that. Enemies becomes far easier the more you level up.

Well that's good to know. Thanks!

Schwack posted:

Thats a pretty unconventional build, I gotta say. I didnt even know there were Machetes/Mexicans in Demon's Souls!

Oh man I wish. :v: Here we go: http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/character-builds:14

The pure black tenacity stuff is obviously going to be a bitch to get though.

Mumblyfish
Jul 22, 2007
Senselessly gorgeous.
If you're intending on using the Talisman of Beasts - and for a purely PvE build, I would - you'll want to keep your magic and faith levels equal. It gains equal spellpower bonuses from both magic and faith. Due to diminishing returns, 35 magic 35 faith would outdamage 50 magic 20 faith.

Also, if you don't particularly care about PvP you should always consider forgetting about vitality entirely.

Don't use the Monk's Wrappings. You will slowly start to hate looking at your mage and your will to play will decrease with each session. The upshot is that this will eventually culminate in you deleting your faggy mage so that you can start over as a purely melee character. It's what I did.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Well my goal is basically to just beat the loving game at least once. Right now I'm still rocking the starting magician's robes with the silver wand and would love something better. If in fact that doesn't exist I guess I'll have to beef up my soul level instead.

But yeah last night I got angry at my mage and started a melee character. I really should look at these builds though because I don't know what makes a great PvE melee character either. I think I started a temple knight, ditched the armor, and are now rocking the tattered robes females can wear from 1-1.

e: i like being able to run and dodge

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Jesus christ Yod, best mis-link of 2010. :p

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Whats the consensus on Light Weapon vs Curse Weapon? I'm using a Greatsword so I think it'd probably be better to go with Curse, since it does massive amounts of physical damage, but maybe Light adds more magic? and Magic damage is inherently better? Idk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life

evilalien posted:

A while back people mistakenly assumed there was level scaling, I'm guessing their world tendency had darkened which caused monsters to be stronger and they misattributed it. There is 100% for sure no level scaling, but world tendency does effect monster toughness.

• Locked thread