Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vita
Nov 7, 2009
Are you sure there's no level scaling? I remember one of my first runs through the game when I tried to get the DBS as soon as possible, I had leveled my strength up to 20 and flamelurker was hard as hell to soul arrow to death. It must've taken me at least 20 tries, and yet now when I'm at SL1 I can solo him my first try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

If you pump strength instead of magic your spells won't be that powerful. Were you a royal each time?

Also fighting a boss 20 times will help you no matter what your stats since by then you should know his attack patterns and how to defend them pretty well. There's no level scaling, just minor fluctuating difficulty when you change world/character tendency.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

gowb posted:

Whats the consensus on Light Weapon vs Curse Weapon? I'm using a Greatsword so I think it'd probably be better to go with Curse, since it does massive amounts of physical damage, but maybe Light adds more magic? and Magic damage is inherently better? Idk.

Magic is not automatically better, particularly not if you're splitting your damage between multiple damage types. 300 Blunt damage is automatically better than 150 blunt and 150 magic because of how resists work in this game.

Curse is better if you have a high damage weapon and low magic, light is better if you have a fast low damage weapon and high magic. For you, curse is most likely better.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Hamburger Test posted:

Curse is better if you have a high damage weapon and low magic, light is better if you have a fast low damage weapon and high magic. For you, curse is most likely better.

Bearing in mind of course the upkeep from self damage and high magic costs to learn/cast. If it's for boss murder then it doesn't matter but if you want it on all the time you need to equip accordingly.

Vita
Nov 7, 2009
You could also use the ToB without the proper faith requirement and make it just -1HP/sec.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

I was thinking about turning it into a Moon Greatsword, and pumping my magic up, would that be a good idea?

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
A moon weapon can't be enchanted. It's not a terrible idea to have a moon weapon of some kind if you do have high magic and don't want to keep enchanting your weapon or you can't spare the spell slot - but I don't think it would ever be as powerful as a standard +10 with Light Weapon on it.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

gowb posted:

I was thinking about turning it into a Moon Greatsword, and pumping my magic up, would that be a good idea?

It's hardly a bad idea. It will freeze your contributions from Str and Dex though so most of the damage increases will come from Magic stat increases. The nice thing is that you'll have a high amount of both physical and magic in a balanced way so you won't be totally stuck fighting magic immune or physically resistant people.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Moon weapons are awesome and I still maintain that the Moon Winged Spear is the best weapon in the game :colbert:

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
What do moon weapons do? Take their +to damage from you magic stat?

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

It's basically a sidegrade to Quality with nice base damage on both physical and magic, where Strength and Dexterity still contribute but Magic gets added as third stat.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Man the Yellow Turban Monk boss is a hell of a lot harder when it's controlled by the AI. That sun of a bitch was relentless and I didn't have a second to put up Warding or munch down on any herbs or spice. I also think he might have been resistant to fire because my attacks (both melee and magic) weren't doing jack to him. Hopefully the next time I try there will be some idiot controlling him and I'll just smack him down. :v:

But what's a good low requirement melee weapon and/or shield I should be aiming for? I'm rocking the Dragon Long Sword +1 you find in 2-2 right now and it's pretty great along with the Dark Heater Shield +1. I haven't upgraded anything yet just so I have tons of materials for when I need it. Any suggestions? My dude is primarily magic but I usually have a shield out as well and dispatch weak dudes with melee.

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

I must admit, I am fond of you humans.

May you enjoy serendipity,

And may the Age of Fire perpetuate.
The standard/AI Old Monk boss fight is completely cake because he doesn't have any ability to defend so all you have to do is hit him with your weapon and make sure you leave enough stamina to roll away and also remember to avoid the Homing Soul Arrows.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I could have sworn he countered my melee attack once, grabbed me, and almost did an instanta-kill. I was wary of just wailing on him after that.

e: i guess i can finally use some sticky white stuff. hrmmm...

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

But what's a good low requirement melee weapon and/or shield I should be aiming for? I'm rocking the Dragon Long Sword +1 you find in 2-2 right now and it's pretty great along with the Dark Heater Shield +1. I haven't upgraded anything yet just so I have tons of materials for when I need it. Any suggestions? My dude is primarily magic but I usually have a shield out as well and dispatch weak dudes with melee.
If you're focusing on Magic you should be assembling a Crescent weapon ASAP, they do a fantastic amount of damage in addition to giving some paltry MP regeneration. I'd recommend making a Crescent Uchigatana from scratch, Darkmoonstone is very plentiful and a Pure Darkmoonstone is relatively easy to obtain.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Kaptain K posted:

If you're focusing on Magic you should be assembling a Crescent weapon ASAP, they do a fantastic amount of damage in addition to giving some paltry MP regeneration. I'd recommend making a Crescent Uchigatana from scratch, Darkmoonstone is very plentiful and a Pure Darkmoonstone is relatively easy to obtain.

Is the Uchigatana really that much better than the Falchion? I already have a Crescent Falchion so upgrading that more would be really simple and wouldn't require me putting any more points into strength and agility. Looking at the Demon's Souls wiki they seem close with the Uchigatana doing 125/133/0 and the Falchion at 112/119/0.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
The Falchion is hideous and has a goofy attack animation, so I never use it and neither should you.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
:drat: But it makes me fight like Hwang from Soul Blade!

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
The Kilij is objectively better than the Falchion (same attack animation, longer reach and more damage) but requires slightly more stones to upgrade, they're both faster than the Uchigatana.

If you don't care about the mana regen, and you shouldn't really as spices are easy to get and not that expensive, moon can deal more damage than crescent - up until about 30 magic.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

The Uchigatana has better reach than the Falchion and (I think maybe) the Kilij, in addition to having a thrust attack. It also looks cooler and if you're a dude you can wear the ancient king's breastplate/arms and the venerable sage's boots and the assassin's mask and you'll look like Reptile from Mortal Kombat. With a katana.

The only real downside to the Uchigatana is it's got a pretty low durability, but fixing it shouldn't be very expensive and if you repair whenever you're in the nexus and carry a couple Ed's grindstones you shouldn't ever have to worry about it breaking.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Danthrax posted:

The Uchigatana has better reach than the Falchion and (I think maybe) the Kilij, in addition to having a thrust attack. It also looks cooler and if you're a dude you can wear the ancient king's breastplate/arms and the venerable sage's boots and the assassin's mask and you'll look like Reptile from Mortal Kombat. With a katana.

Well I'm sold.

But yeah, the durability thing really won't be an issue. I pretty much repair everything whenever I'm back at the Nexus anyway. It's a paltry fee.

But man, now I'm even planning for New Game+ and I haven't even gotten past where I got stuck with the Asian release back in the day. I'm going to make it my goal to beat this game on Saturday though. I can't stop loving thinking about it.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life

Vita posted:

Are you sure there's no level scaling? I remember one of my first runs through the game when I tried to get the DBS as soon as possible, I had leveled my strength up to 20 and flamelurker was hard as hell to soul arrow to death. It must've taken me at least 20 tries, and yet now when I'm at SL1 I can solo him my first try.

That's because every time you died the world tendency darkened and he got harder. Also you are better at the game now.

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

Is the Uchigatana really that much better than the Falchion?
Yes

edit: Also, if you're primarily a magic using character, you should have a stockpile of 20-30 Old Spices at all times and just quaff them indiscriminately. You can get them from the vendor in 3-1 for 1000 souls apiece so they're very cheap.

Kaptain K fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 7, 2010

MonkeyMaker
May 22, 2006

What's your poison, sir?

Industrial posted:

That's because every time you died the world tendency darkened and he got harder.

Only if you died as a Body and not a Soul.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Kaptain K posted:

Yes

edit: Also, if you're primarily a magic using character, you should have a stockpile of 20-30 Old Spices at all times and just quaff them indiscriminately. You can get them from the vendor in 3-1 for 1000 souls apiece so they're very cheap.

I bought a poo poo ton of fresh spices already. It made more sense because a fresh spice does about half of an old spice but at 1/4 the cost at the vendor. Of course during boss battles old spice if much more vital.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
Old Spice if you're playing as a male, Fresh Spice if female.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Off topic, RE: 3D Dot Game Hereos:

Gazaville Slugger posted:

ahahahahaha, a Demon's Souls joke/reference

"Touch the demon inside me" :v:

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Kaptain K posted:

Yes

How is 1000 souls cheap? Farming the reaper in 4-2 I still only get like 4000 a run so it would take while to get 20000-30000.

On that note: where do you guys farm souls

Also: Killed Yurt, gently caress yeah, sweet armor ahoy!

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

!amicable posted:

How is 1000 souls cheap? Farming the reaper in 4-2 I still only get like 4000 a run so it would take while to get 20000-30000.

Also: Killed Yurt, gently caress yeah, sweet armor ahoy!

Grab the ring of avarice and farm him. Also, be sure you at least kill the two silver skeletons just outside his room. You can trick both melee ones into rolling off the edge. Just shoot the one in back from anywhere and he'll fly off and the one in front will roll off if you walk behind the little flag on edge side of the platform. Thats an extra 2k+.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Schwack posted:

Grab the ring of avarice and farm him. Also, be sure you at least kill the two silver skeletons just outside his room. You can trick both melee ones into rolling off the edge. Just shoot the one in back from anywhere and he'll fly off and the one in front will roll off if you walk behind the little flag on edge side of the platform. Thats an extra 2k+.

Which silver skeletons? In the reaper room? I usually just jump down, snipe him in four arrows then kill myself. Do you mean the other ghost/wraiths in the room?

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

!amicable posted:

Which silver skeletons? In the reaper room? I usually just jump down, snipe him in four arrows then kill myself. Do you mean the other ghost/wraiths in the room?

How are you killing yourself? Most people kill the reaper from the top level with arrows, jump down, do a 180, and then run off the cliff. Right before running off the cliff, if you look down the path on your right, there is a group of 3 silver skeletons.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

evilalien posted:

How are you killing yourself? Most people kill the reaper from the top level with arrows, jump down, do a 180, and then run off the cliff. Right before running off the cliff, if you look down the path on your right, there is a group of 3 silver skeletons.
I can't aim fast enough from the top so I jump down into his room, snipe from the bottom level then run off.

I am going to do 3-2 with a pal later tonight (Fuckin Maneaters are a bitch.) and get the Ring of Avarice.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

!amicable posted:

As youre jumping off the cliff, look to your right. There will be 3 silver skeletons. The two melee ones will kill themselves pretty quickly if you shoot them. The two golden skeletons are pretty good souls too, but they take a bit longer.

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

!amicable posted:

Objectively the best farming method: Go to the Old Hero's archstone, kill all of the flying mantas in the Storm King area using arrows or spells. Next backtrack past the slug room and kill the first/last reaper from a distance.

Proceed up the stairs, kill the first ghostly thing guarding the second reaper and carefully position yourself between those 2 pillars near the top of the staircase and shooting the reaper through them with arrows.

Kill the 2 golden skeletons and the 3 silver skeletons and then finally kill the last/first reaper.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Kaptain K posted:

Objectively the best farming method: Go to the Old Hero's archstone, kill all of the flying mantas in the Storm King area using arrows or spells. Next backtrack past the slug room and kill the first/last reaper from a distance.

Proceed up the stairs, kill the first ghostly thing guarding the second reaper and carefully position yourself between those 2 pillars near the top of the staircase and shooting the reaper through them with arrows.

Kill the 2 golden skeletons and the 3 silver skeletons and then finally kill the last/first reaper.

Objectively the best farming method: Hide in the house in 4-3 and stand still hitting all the mantas with the Stormruler. Millions of souls in seconds with no effort.

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

Kiranamos posted:

Objectively the best farming method: Hide in the house in 4-3 and stand still hitting all the mantas with the Stormruler. Millions of souls in seconds with no effort.
My farming method includes doing this first.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Kaptain K posted:

I couldnt get the Stormruler to hit poo poo. It would do a ranged looking thing that just never managed to land a hit.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Schwack posted:

I couldnt get the Stormruler to hit poo poo. It would do a ranged looking thing that just never managed to land a hit.

The hiding in the house method usually takes me a few minutes to wipe them out - standing in one corner, slashing towards the corner, I either hit nothing or maybe 2-3 of them at a time, then I've got a few stragglers I'll run out and whack. I'm not brave enough to just stand out in the open and whack them like some people do. :ohdear:

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Schwack posted:

Stormruler is a little tricky because it's medium range. Basically the ideal time to strike is when one is heading straight toward you and is about one second before it stops and builds up to a spike attack. But anywhere outside of that one distance and it probably won't hit. Another nice feature is that you duck down when you strike so with a little timing any spikes midair will actually pass right above your ducked head.

To learn where you can hit with it, stay at the periphery, wait for them to fire, roll out of the way, then strike. They won't be able to travel outside your range by then and you'll get a feel for how far away you can let them be. Soon enough you should be hitting them on approach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Kaptain K posted:

I mean it's probably faster to just do that, die, and repeat?

• Locked thread