Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

quepasa18 posted:

I'm leaving my firm this summer to teach full-time (hooray!) and I'm not sure how much notice I should give. This is my third firm and I've been here almost a year. The first one I didn't like them and gave exactly 2 weeks' notice because I felt that was the minimum professional requirement. I got laid off from my second firm so giving notice wasn't an issue.

Basically, I know my current firm will need to replace me, and it's likely to be with a new grad who might need some training. I was thinking of giving a month's notice, but I'm just not sure. I don't want to leave them high and dry, but I don't want to give too much notice in the event they are not happy with me leaving and ask me to go immediately (I don't anticipate that happening but you never know).

Any suggestions?

Congrats. Big firm or small firm? If big firm, then two weeks. If small firm, then no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ersatz posted:

I appreciate it. Unfortunately though, based on what HR has told me, the new deal is that they have to approve a candidate before that candidate can sit down and talk to a SPE, so it's completely out of the SPE's hands if there isn't a current announcement. The bureaucratization of the hiring process has led to some absurd results. One of my friends from my former firm had three years of experience as an examiner, applied under the GS-11 announcement, and was rejected because they took so long in processing his application that he "missed" HR's arbitrary deadline for rehires.

I think the "patent professional" program was the GS-11 announcement, and I was ultimately rejected under that announcement as lacking the necessary year of experience.

The good news is that HR has also said that over the summer they plan to put up GS-9 postings for specific backgrounds, most likely CS, EE, and bio. I'm a Patent Agent with a CS background, a summer of preparation and prosecution experience at a patent firm, and a patent-related journal publication so, if and when that happens, I should be in good stead. Regardless, it would rock if they do open it back up to the "general public" in October. That makes me think that they might go back to hiring engineers straight out of undergrad.
don't feel bad

quote:

Hiring: The USPTO is looking to hire 1000 additional patent examiners over the next two years. The bulk of these examiners would preferably be experienced IP professionals but could be part of a “nationwide workforce.” With the absence of funding, the PTO has hired only nine (9) examiners during FY2010 and 127 examiners have left their positions.

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

builds character posted:

Congrats. Big firm or small firm? If big firm, then two weeks. If small firm, then no idea.

Small firm -- I'm one of 4 attorneys, and I'm only part-time.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

quepasa18 posted:

Give 'em a month's notice.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

quepasa18 posted:

So is this a tenure-track position (or the junior college equivalent?) Like an assistant professorship? I'm not sure whether all community colleges have a tenure track-esque system but all the ones I've encountered do.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

quepasa18 posted:

Basically, I know my current firm will need to replace me, and it's likely to be with a new grad who might need some training. I was thinking of giving a month's notice, but I'm just not sure. I don't want to leave them high and dry, but I don't want to give too much notice in the event they are not happy with me leaving and ask me to go immediately (I don't anticipate that happening but you never know).

No notice. Instead, let me seamlessly take your place and hope they don't notice.

Mr. Fictitious
Jul 9, 2002

by Ozmaugh

Incredulous Red posted:

I had Buffalo Wild Wings for dinner last night and an exam at 8:30 this morning.

Tactical error.
their wings aren't even that good :-(

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Mr. Fictitious posted:

their wings aren't even that good :-(

I was hungry, and they're open until 1 am

William Lee
May 16, 2003

I guess it's about time for our William Tell routine.
20 hours to learn con ii (1st and 14th amendments). i'm sure i'll just get a B anyway

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
You've probably picked up most of con law ii elsewhere anyway since it's what pretty much everyone means when they refer to constitutional law (fundamental rights, degree of scrutiny, incorporation, permissible restrictions on advertising, campaign contributions, first amendment exception for provocations, etc.).

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

prussian advisor posted:

So is this a tenure-track position (or the junior college equivalent?) Like an assistant professorship? I'm not sure whether all community colleges have a tenure track-esque system but all the ones I've encountered do.

Yes, tenure track. There's a 3-year probationary period and I'm already through the second year because I've been teaching half-time. So one more year and then I'm tenured! Good pay, good benefits, summers off, etc. I could not be more excited. This will be the first job I've ever had that I wasn't planning to leave at some point.

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

HooKars posted:

No notice. Instead, let me seamlessly take your place and hope they don't notice.

If you were in Wisconsin, I'd recommend you, even though in reality I'm sure you'd hate it. I do collection and landlord/tenant, which is boring as hell. But it's easy, stress-free, and I hang out on the Internet most days in between hearings. My paralegal drafts everything for me and I just sign it. It isn't particularly intellectually stimulating though, and the pay isn't great. But it's been good for the short time I knew I'd need it until I could teach full-time.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

quepasa18 posted:

Yes, tenure track. There's a 3-year probationary period and I'm already through the second year because I've been teaching half-time. So one more year and then I'm tenured! Good pay, good benefits, summers off, etc. I could not be more excited. This will be the first job I've ever had that I wasn't planning to leave at some point.

loving fantastic, man. Not sure what junior colleges are like in your state, but I can tell you that in my old state, once you get on the tenure track, it rapidly becomes a job with great security, surprisingly high pay, convenient hours, low stress, all that good poo poo. Congratulations, man--if that job is anything like they are back home, you've just gotten a better job than easily 90% of the thread :D

Are they going to have you teaching non-professional classes, ie classes for the normal associate's students?

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

prussian advisor posted:

loving fantastic, man. Not sure what junior colleges are like in your state, but I can tell you that in my old state, once you get on the tenure track, it rapidly becomes a job with great security, surprisingly high pay, convenient hours, low stress, all that good poo poo. Congratulations, man--if that job is anything like they are back home, you've just gotten a better job than easily 90% of the thread :D

Are they going to have you teaching non-professional classes, ie classes for the normal associate's students?

It's pretty much as you described. In the fall, I'll only have classes Tuesday through Thursday. So 4-day weekend every week, although I'll have grading to do and prep for class, but at my leisure at home. The job security is very good, and we have a good union that negotiates good pay. It is a sweet deal.

I teach all paralegal classes, nothing gen ed, if that's what you mean.

Pretty good for a TTT grad, huh?

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

Green Crayons posted:

SC Clerks are Candidates, the President is Jacob, the nomination process is the Island, the MiB are opposing party senators.

No, no, no...

Opposing counsels are Candidates, the act of granting certiorari is Jacob, the Supreme Court is the Island, the MiB is Scalia dissenting opinion.

No, no, no...

Personal judicial philosophies are Candidates, career politicians are Jacob, judicial review is the Island, the MiB is the non-legally educated populous.

No, no, no...

My LRW final was legit lost-themed, I had to represent Hugo Reyes, sole proprietor of Reyes of Light vs John Locke, representative of the Island Condominium Poject

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

quepasa18 posted:

Pretty good for a TTT grad, huh?

Pretty good for anyone, really.

You should drop by the #lawgoons IRC channel on synirc when you have the time. I'd like to ask you some questions about your job if you're willing.

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

Currently writing my transfer application for Minnesota and not having any luck with what to write about. What do I say other than "i really like your clinics and your school is like 100 spots up the ranking"? :sweatdrop:

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The Arsteia posted:

Currently writing my transfer application for Minnesota and not having any luck with what to write about. What do I say other than "i really like your clinics and your school is like 100 spots up the ranking"? :sweatdrop:

This is basically what I wrote all my personal statements about, without mentioning their spot in the rankings, of course. Most were all some variation on "I want to practice this kind of law, your school would put me in a better position to practice it because of <reasons>." Make sure you mention any ties (familial or otherwise) that you have to the area, even if it's not a "regionally-oriented" law school, or any history that you have with the law school or its underlying University, if only to make them realize that you actually care about that school in particular and aren't just spamming.

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

prussian advisor posted:

This is basically what I wrote all my personal statements about, without mentioning their spot in the rankings, of course. Most were all some variation on "I want to practice this kind of law, your school would put me in a better position to practice it because of <reasons>." Make sure you mention any ties (familial or otherwise) that you have to the area, even if it's not a "regionally-oriented" law school, or any history that you have with the law school or its underlying University, if only to make them realize that you actually care about that school in particular and aren't just spamming.

I'm in the same metro area right now so it's not an issue of location. Also I went there for undergrad, I don't know how important that would be to mention?

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

~

Dr. Mantis Toboggan fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 11, 2021

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

prussian advisor posted:

Prussian's very smart and he's been a help to me so I'll echo this, and also since I've had some early transfer success myself, I think it's a good idea to point out some particular programs you dig, and what the surrounding area has to offer you in terms of career prospects. I spent half of my PS talking about some history of why I wanted to practice law and what kind of law, and the second half gushing over the school and why I need to go there to get to my goal.

Hired Gun
Nov 25, 2006

by Ozma
Welp, got off the waiting list and assigned for the June 7 LSAT. Taking it now (I graduate next spring) to figure out whether I should even consider law school or spend the time lining up other options. I've got a mediocre (3.4) GPA so unless I get a 170+ I'll probably go the latter route.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Hired Gun posted:

Welp, got off the waiting list and assigned for the June 7 LSAT. Taking it now (I graduate next spring) to figure out whether I should even consider law school or spend the time lining up other options. I've got a mediocre (3.4) GPA so unless I get a 170+ I'll probably go the latter route.

Why do you want to be a lawyer?

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

Why do you want to be a lawyer?

He's just always wanted to practice the law

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Speaking as an extreme splitter who did everything the wrong way, here is how you avoid following in my steps if you get a 170+:

Step 1: Apply early, early, early (but don't do binding early decision)
Step 2: Get lots of money from schools ranked between 14-25 (and at least one acceptance from the t14)
Step 3: Go somewhere for free (or near as makes no difference) don't pay full or even half price for law school you idiot

ALTERNATIVELY

Step 3b: gently caress law school, teach the LSAT it's a fun job

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I think that law school should have an entrance interview requirement, where you have to explain to the interviewer why you want to be a lawyer, what kind of law you want to practice, what's your plan to go about it etc etc to weed out the stupid people like me who think "well my undergrad is useless, why not law school next". It would save a lot of pain.

But no, the only question is "did your financial aid come through?"

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I think that law school should have an entrance interview requirement, where you have to explain to the interviewer why you want to be a lawyer, what kind of law you want to practice, what's your plan to go about it etc etc to weed out the stupid people like me who think "well my undergrad is useless, why not law school next". It would save a lot of pain.

But no, the only question is "did your financial aid come through?"

Everyone would just tell the interviewer that they want to practice international law in a big firm (just like all the personal statements) and would be accepted anyways.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Why would the schools actually want to do this, instead of just taking some kid's money?

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Do you think its necessary to get professors to target rec letters for transferring? Like maybe I could have them write one target one for one school and then a general one for every other school?

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

quepasa18 posted:

If you were in Wisconsin, I'd recommend you, even though in reality I'm sure you'd hate it.

I secretly think I hate all law and I just didn't realize it in time. Still - easy, stress-free and boring sounds right up my alley.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Ainsley McTree posted:

My answer was "I'm an rear end in a top hat and I want to get paid for it."

Would that suffice?

JohnnyTreachery
Dec 7, 2000
i want to be ari gold denny crane

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
I interviewed recently for a legal job and I don't think the interview went very well. The main theme of the interview was "do you think well on your feet" and I answered all the variations of that question quite terribly since it's fairly difficult to answer those types of questions with no real world experience of any type in recent memory to relate to the interviewers. All of my answers were filled with "ums" and "uh"s as I reached back years to think of some situation of any significance that typified me "thinking on my feet". It was very unintentionally hilarious.

The nadir came when I was asked:

"A man and his son were in an automobile accident. The man died on the way to the hospital, but the boy was rushed into surgery. The emergency room surgeon said "I can't operate, that's my son!" How is this possible?"

The Surgeon is his Mother!:eng99:

I couldn't get the answer to that (it seems so easy now), and now I feel like a big, sexist idiot. I think it was a joke so I doubt it'll change the outcome, but it really seemed to sum up the whole thing. :(

Torpor fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 12, 2010

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

he has two gay dads

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
What a stupid interview. I wouldn't work for that company anyways; they seem like dicks

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
The surgeon is drunk, duh! Obviously this was an open and shut medical malpractice case.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

The surgeon is Christian Shephard

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
I believe the question was simply for levity since interviews are generally awkward. I just think that it had symbolic significance for me.

billion dollar bitch posted:

What a stupid interview. I wouldn't work for that company anyways; they seem like dicks

They were all actually super nice and polite. Oh, wait, that just makes my poor performance hurt more :smithicide:

GamingHyena posted:

The surgeon is drunk, duh! Obviously this was an open and shut medical malpractice case.

I actually said the kid's face was messed up and he just mistook the identity. Stupid brain puzzles :colbert:

Torpor fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 12, 2010

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

diospadre posted:

he has two gay dads

I think that this should be the new answer to that "joke"

My old answer was "it's not possible, women can't be doctors"

billion dollar bitch posted:

Why would the schools actually want to do this, instead of just taking some kid's money?

I assume that's why they don't do it, since law schools are money making entities, not "valuable members of society" producers

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 12, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

very bizarre extended double post, my b