Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Noxville posted:

I was reading today that apparently between July 2008 and July 2009 Hicksgillett had injected £86m into Liverpool via their Cayman Islands based holding company - with an interest rate of 10%. This plus other funds that had been put into the club earlier has amassed £8.1m worth of interest that the club owes to them. Nice way to make money if you can afford it.

Shame they'd only ever get like 20% of it back when the club goes tits up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Not entirely financial, but the AST meeting is free online

http://www.arsenal.com/usa/sh/news/news-archive/ivan-gazidis-ast-video-part-1

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

kri kri posted:

Not entirely financial, but the AST meeting is free online

http://www.arsenal.com/usa/sh/news/news-archive/ivan-gazidis-ast-video-part-1

Holy crap eyebrows!

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

No idea how legit this is but I actually read on Kotaku of all places making my morning rounds.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/chinese-gaming-tycoon-holds-takeover-talks-with-liverpool-1970586.html

Seeing as how he owns the9 he's definitely loaded as gently caress although I'm not sure how loaded he is. The article actually says Barclay Capital has basically been out contacting anyone whose had previous interest trying to purchase the club. To make it even better, whoever buys the club apparently has to agree to be in on building a new stadium for the club as well.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Akileese posted:

No idea how legit this is but I actually read on Kotaku of all places making my morning rounds.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/chinese-gaming-tycoon-holds-takeover-talks-with-liverpool-1970586.html

Seeing as how he owns the9 he's definitely loaded as gently caress although I'm not sure how loaded he is. The article actually says Barclay Capital has basically been out contacting anyone whose had previous interest trying to purchase the club. To make it even better, whoever buys the club apparently has to agree to be in on building a new stadium for the club as well.

apparently he sold all the good players on the chinese team he owns to pay the debt, didn't pay the remaining players and had himself play against liverpool.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Akileese posted:

I posted this in the EPL thread, but I don't see this guy actually being in the running. I don't think he has the money in reality and like most sane people, he feels that H&G's asking price is at least double a realistic valuation.

Check the comments, for what they are worth. Selling your best players every year and falling behind on paying player wages? That sounds like Portsmouth to me.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
Goldman Sachs put out a 69-page World Cup and Economics 2010 booklet. In it bankers try to write about football.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Oceanbound posted:

Goldman Sachs put out a 69-page World Cup and Economics 2010 booklet. In it bankers try to write about football.

Russ Joke

luvd_
Nov 4, 2006

by T. Finn

Oceanbound posted:

Skimmed it. Thought it was cool.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

Oceanbound posted:

This is really awesome. Already printed a few copies for people at work.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

They have South Africa advancing out of the group over France and Uruguay. Please.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
Guardian being passive-agressive to Portsmouth

We've found you money! Oops this means HMRC have more power to block the CVA

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

DickEmery posted:

Guardian being passive-agressive to Portsmouth

We've found you money! Oops this means HMRC have more power to block the CVA

hahaha i'm sure pompey will splurge a million or two if they have to but thats quite funny if the guardian causes the liquidation of a football club

duggimon
Oct 19, 2007

If I had a horse I'd buy it oats and fuck it

greazeball posted:

They have South Africa advancing out of the group over France and Uruguay. Please.

The stars will not be kind to France

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~

Oceanbound posted:

That's the worst world cup XI

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

what's blue and bigger then utds?

CHELSEAS DEBT! :laugh:

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
nm

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
So anyone who has been following it more closely than I have, whats likely to happen to Portsmouth in the next couple of years?

partipo
Sep 24, 2005
participaction?

Jose posted:

So anyone who has been following it more closely than I have, whats likely to happen to Portsmouth in the next couple of years?

League 1

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Just like watching Brazil

Jose posted:

Unlikely to last until the start of next season.

luvd_
Nov 4, 2006

by T. Finn
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/may/19/premier-league-finances

holy poo poo this is a good link

read if you have any interest in the finances of premier league clubs

partipo
Sep 24, 2005
participaction?

luvd posted:

good to know arsenal is still in relatively fit shape

i don't know what to think of the usmanov/kroenke takeover bids. it's worrying to me.

edit: seriously? Man U only made an operating profit this year by selling Cristiano Ronaldo? is there going to be another old trafford fire sale come january?

luvd_
Nov 4, 2006

by T. Finn
kroenke will get it within the next 2 years

partipo
Sep 24, 2005
participaction?

luvd posted:

kroenke will get it within the next 2 years

but how should i feel about that?

edit: i mean i quite like the way arsenal is run right now - the whole thrifty-spending, developing-new-stars, buying underrated veterans system - even if there HAS been a silver drought and i'm kind of afraid of what'll happen in a takeover. i mean i guess i just hope kroenke'll do hands-off ownership

partipo fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 19, 2010

luvd_
Nov 4, 2006

by T. Finn
i don't feel comfortable telling you how to feel :tipshat:

Cuban Chowder Factory
Jun 3, 2002

luvd posted:

this is awesome.

Also never knew how well off Wolves really are. With a little investment over the next transfer period or two they could be here to stay for a long while.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

luvd posted:

i don't feel comfortable telling you how to feel :tipshat:

Kroenke's generally thought of as the better option than Usmanov, is that right?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I thought Kroenke spent all his money on buying the rest of whatever american sports team it was that he owned some of.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Transatlantic Gulp posted:

Kroenke's generally thought of as the better option than Usmanov, is that right?

Easy choice when its between an American businessman and a alleged rapist who actually supports United.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

Cuban Chowder Factory posted:

this is awesome.

Also never knew how well off Wolves really are. With a little investment over the next transfer period or two they could be here to stay for a long while.

Spending 94% of your turnover on wages is not well off at all.

Cuban Chowder Factory
Jun 3, 2002

Fat Turkey posted:

Spending 94% of your turnover on wages is not well off at all.

If you're pretty much debt-free, who gives a poo poo? I would assume they have little need for financing over the next 4-5 years. Staying up will probably help increase their turnover and they have ownership that can slightly nudge them in the right direction if any unforeseen issues come up.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

Cuban Chowder Factory posted:

If you're pretty much debt-free, who gives a poo poo?

Any respectable accountant. It takes one relegation-on-the-last-day to knock that business model into danger.

w00bi
Dec 11, 2004

Apparently the Chelsea board is upset at the Guardian article about Chelsea's debt.

Chelsea's Official Website posted:

'Contrary to media reports today, other than a small residual balance Chelsea Football Club and our parent company Chelsea FC plc are debt free and do not owe any money to our shareholder (Fordstam Ltd). Neither do we owe any money to Roman Abramovich.'

Take what you will.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Fat Turkey posted:

Any respectable accountant. It takes one relegation-on-the-last-day to knock that business model into danger.

Can't be too bad if everyone has a relegation wage cut clause and the parachute payments can hold things together.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

People cant get enough football right now. I dont understand why the Championship couldnt have a more robust international TV deal of its own.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
To be fair those figures are from when Wolves were just a Championship club, I imagine their turnover has increased drastically this year. Which they then spunked on Kevin Doyle. We'll have to wait a year to see how healthy Wolves' Premier League business model has been.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

MoPZiG posted:

People cant get enough football right now. I dont understand why the Championship couldnt have a more robust international TV deal of its own.

Because nobody gives a poo poo about the Championship?

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

MoPZiG posted:

the football refuse to break it apart from the rest of the football league

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

MoPZiG posted:

I pretty sure the international market would prefer the Italian, Spanish, German, Dutch leagues and their own domestic league in stead of the championship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

euroboy posted:

I pretty sure the international market would prefer the Italian, Spanish, German, Dutch leagues and their own domestic league in stead of the championship.

Thats probably true but I know the championship playoff final gets a decent TV audience on ESPN/Star Sports here in SouthEast Asia. They could try and package the whole thing together bla bla.

• Locked thread