Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

HolySwissCheese posted:

My LRW final was legit lost-themed, I had to represent Hugo Reyes, sole proprietor of Reyes of Light vs John Locke, representative of the Island Condominium Poject

Your professor is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
My torts 2 final was Buffy themed. She got sent to a boot camp for troubled teens and there was some agency law involved and I can't remember what else.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Alaemon posted:

My torts 2 final was Buffy themed. She got sent to a boot camp for troubled teens and there was some agency law involved and I can't remember what else.

Mine was Twilight themed

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Tetrix posted:

Do you think its necessary to get professors to target rec letters for transferring? Like maybe I could have them write one target one for one school and then a general one for every other school?

I don't think that's necessary and having them write two letters might be asking a bit much unless they really like you or they are a really fantastic person. Where are you thinking?

I suppose if the prof had taught there or was a donor alumni + your professor that might look a little cooler relative to generic LoRs but I still don't see it making a big difference except in very rare cases.

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

Incredulous Red posted:

Mine was Twilight themed

:suicide:

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
suitchat: woot.com has a nice garment steamer right now.

TheAttackSlug
Aug 15, 2008
Got paying job for 2L summer at prosecutors.

:master:

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
I just spent 14 hours doing a take home for Complex Civil Litigation and around hour 12 I literally threw up. Like eight times. Apparently 4 is the limit for Rockstar Zeros I should drink in a day.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

HolySwissCheese posted:

My LRW final was legit lost-themed, I had to represent Hugo Reyes, sole proprietor of Reyes of Light vs John Locke, representative of the Island Condominium Poject
That's awesome.

Alaemon posted:

That's even more awesome.

Incredulous Red posted:

Mine was Twilight themed
gently caress that professor.

Did you guys just answer the questions straight, or add in little thematic quips? "Respondent John Locke is at fault because of X, Y and Z legal reasonings. Plus, he's not even really a living American, and more of a nebulous ball of black and malicious smoke, and thus not subject to the legal protections of representation." or "While the agency law fails to hold up to legal scrutiny, we must keep in mind that the plaintiff is what could be described as a real-life superhero, and thus must be treated with a stronger hand to show that the world we have built and the agencies operating within it will not crumble before preternatural strength."

TheAttackSlug posted:

That's pretty cool, congrats. Any idea as to what you'll be doing?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

diospadre posted:

The surgeon is Christian Shephard

Working for a firm positives: have a job, pays well, good exit opportunities, interesting work (for me anyway).
Working for a firm negatives: soul crushing, at work instead of watching tv.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I think that this should be the new answer to that "joke"

My old answer was "it's not possible, women can't be doctors"

I assume that's why they don't do it, since law schools are money making entities, not "valuable members of society" producers

Law schools are not money making entities, but I think it makes a lot of sense to think about them that way.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

TheAttackSlug posted:

Congratulations, what sort of work will you be doing?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I'm currently working on an 8 hour take-home for my remedies final and I can honestly say that I just don't loving care.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Legislation final is tomorrow; the professor told us which set of cases to look at for the exam. I haven't read them yet.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007
Got a grade back already for a test I took a week ago, thus proving profs are capable of making deadlines. Maybe I should have clicked "candidate for graduation this semester" every semester, might have sped up stuff before.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TheBestDeception posted:

Got a grade back already for a test I took a week ago, thus proving profs are capable of making deadlines. Maybe I should have clicked "candidate for graduation this semester" every semester, might have sped up stuff before.

I hope your paper had a majestic flight down the stairs to the "A" level

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Final final trip report: Didn't read a single word of the book, went to half the classes, but I read E&E. I crushed it, out in an hour and a half of a four hour exam. This proves that most classes and textbooks are useless.

My only fear is that I talked about cases he didn't cover in class. In which case, sorry I know more than everyone.

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

prussian advisor posted:

Pretty good for anyone, really.

You should drop by the #lawgoons IRC channel on synirc when you have the time. I'd like to ask you some questions about your job if you're willing.

If I had any clue how to do that I'd be happy to talk to you! You can PM me if you have that capability.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

evilweasel posted:

I hope your paper had a majestic flight down the stairs to the "A" level

I once had a 15-person writing class where the professor gave one person an A and everyone else a B+. I thought it was a clever new take on law school grades being totally arbitrary.

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

Draile posted:

I once had a 15-person writing class where the professor gave one person an A and everyone else a B+. I thought it was a clever new take on law school grades being totally arbitrary.

our property professor gives 1 A between his two 50-person property classes :negative:

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

it is literally possible to get the cali award for property with an A-

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
CALI Awards are the most useless thing ever. I still put my 2 on my resume though hahaha (one I got in a class that only had 3 people in it)

lipstick thespian
Sep 20, 2005

by Ozmaugh
Whoever thought grading on a curve wasn't a completely retarded idea to begin with?

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

TheBestDeception posted:

Your profs don't have to submit their grades to the Party Truth and Justice Committee (or whatever the gently caress the admins call themselves) to investigate the grade distribution? That's what keeps all of our grades back - they don't start checking until every prof submits their poo poo.

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

Defleshed posted:

CALI Awards are the most useless thing ever. I still put my 2 on my resume though hahaha (one I got in a class that only had 3 people in it)

I do that too. I only got one, and it was in a class where I had no idea what I was doing on the final.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
How do you punctuate a quote within a quote?

The original text says:

He said, "She said, 'Hi, my name is Susan.'"

Do you do this:

"He said, 'She said, 'Hi, my name is Susan.''"

?

edit:

'''He said, ''She said, 'Hi, my name is Susan.''''''

Grammar Fascist
May 29, 2004
Y-O-U-R, Y-O-U-Apostrophe-R-E... They're as different as night and day. Don't you think that night and day are different? What's wrong with you?

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

"He said, 'She said, 'Hi, my name is Susan.''"
I'm pretty sure it's this one.

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

I'll try this again.

Taking the Bar this summer, should I complain here, or start up a new thread?

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Kumo posted:

I'll try this again.

Please complain here!

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

Kumo posted:

I'll try this again.

Depends, what school did you go to? Why do you want to be a lawyer? This is important.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

This is the bar bitching thread, go nuts.

Sometimes I think about sitting for another bar just to have something to do

edit: I just realized though that I literally don't have enough money to do that and not be homeless next month

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

Kumo posted:

I'll try this again.

All real schools exempt you from that poo poo. Have fun with that.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

JudicialRestraints posted:

All real schools exempt you from that poo poo. Have fun with that.

I smell . . . cheese?

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.
Really like how my Civ Pro exam is limited to:
1)One double sided sheet of 8.5 x 11 paper, min. font 8pt in Times
2)FRCP
3)Whatever you can write in the margins of the FRCP and in the 6 blank pages at the back.

For a 4 hour essay exam.

He said allowing full outlines "wouldn't have mattered" and I claim bullshit because I could be studying that and have mega-legit flowcharts for everything rather than cramping my hand trying to write a bunch of policy poo poo in the margins.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

My Torts final was uncharacteristically free of funny stuff (this teacher, in previous years, wrote about Cookie Conster crashing her car due to spilling Drunken Donuts coffee.)

So I made up for it by namedropping Steven Seagal and speculating that an untaken precaution might be checking Facebook

not on the same question mind you

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

The password for my Civ Pro exam was "Stark" - our teacher was mocking us for not being able to go see Iron Man 2 the weekend it came out.

My torts exam password was "Garibaldi" - I've been overloading on Babylon 5 free episodes lately, so I took that as a positive sign

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

Sometimes I think about sitting for another bar just to have something to do

Don't do it. Just think how much life sucked for us about this time last year.

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

wacko_- posted:

Don't do it. Just think how much life sucked for us about this time last year.

I don't know that it's quite as stressful the second time because you have a better idea of what to expect. Of course, I've only taken one bar exam so what do I know?

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.
10-8, I thought you were lying about how awesome your job was. Now that I'm working for an agency I have come to realize that you were downplaying it so we wouldn't kill you and wear your skin.

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.

quepasa18 posted:

I don't know that it's quite as stressful the second time because you have a better idea of what to expect. Of course, I've only taken one bar exam so what do I know?
It sucks just as much the second time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

William Munny posted:

Really like how my Civ Pro exam is limited to:
1)One double sided sheet of 8.5 x 11 paper, min. font 8pt in Times
2)FRCP
3)Whatever you can write in the margins of the FRCP and in the 6 blank pages at the back.

For a 4 hour essay exam.

He said allowing full outlines "wouldn't have mattered" and I claim bullshit because I could be studying that and have mega-legit flowcharts for everything rather than cramping my hand trying to write a bunch of policy poo poo in the margins.

Write half your notes in red ink, then write the rest of them over the top of the red ink in blue ink.

Then wear 3-D glasses to the exam and close one eye.