Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

InitialDave posted:

If you're a real hardcore, must-save-weight, all-about-the-driving experience type looking for the M3, I'd expect you to be buying a real one anyway.

No matter who the manufacturer is, I get a little irritated with the whole "It's a lightweight special, yeah. We stuck a few extra holes in it, made some bits out of carbon fibre and would appreciate you giving us another twenty/thirty grand for the privilege. Don't worry, it's still got a stereo/aircon/traction control/leather/electric windows".

To put some things in perspective, the car has no rear seats, air conditioner, or audio system. It is equipped with a roll cage, 6-point belts and fire extinguisher. The suspension is fully adjustable. The car is over 400 pounds lighter than the standard model. There's also wiring for a remote kill switch, a front & rear adjustable wing, etc.

MikeyTsi posted:

Let's be honest, it's because it doesn't have an slushbox, right?
It comes with a 7 speed dual clutch high tech thingy.

I don't know if it's worth the price, but it's a pseudo-racecar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
They really should have called it CSL, no?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

There's only 99 cars. Super rare. Some people are into that.
Kinda like that Mercedes CLK DTM that wasn't that great but still every one bought for mad money.

Also where are you getting 'marginally out performs a mustang' from?

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

CharlesM posted:

To put some things in perspective, the car has no rear seats, air conditioner, or audio system. It is equipped with a roll cage, 6-point belts and fire extinguisher. The suspension is fully adjustable. The car is over 400 pounds lighter than the standard model. There's also wiring for a remote kill switch, a front & rear adjustable wing, etc.
It comes with a 7 speed dual clutch high tech thingy.

I don't know if it's worth the price, but it's a pseudo-racecar.

Fords mustang analog to the GTS is the Boss 302R
http://jalopnik.com/5434977/ford-mustang-boss-302r-the-boss-is-back-for-129000

The main difference being the 302R doesnt get a VIN and isnt street legal. But it is $20k cheaper (kind of like the GT to M3).

I bet the Boss 302R is also only 'marginally faster' then a regular 5.0 in 0-60 too.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

A5H posted:

There's only 99 cars. Super rare. Some people are into that.
Kinda like that Mercedes CLK DTM that wasn't that great but still every one bought for mad money.

Also where are you getting 'marginally out performs a mustang' from?

There's a world of difference between a tarted up 3 series and the CLK GTR in the exotic looks department.

Click here for the full 1200x900 image.

I get marginally outperforms the Mustang because the GTS has 30hp more than the Mustang and weighs almost the same as the Mustang. $150k in price premium should offer something more substantial than that.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

frozenphil posted:

There's a world of difference between a tarted up 3 series and the CLK GTR in the exotic looks department.

Click here for the full 1200x900 image.

I get marginally outperforms the Mustang because the GTS has 30hp more than the Mustang and weighs almost the same as the Mustang. $150k in price premium should offer something more substantial than that.

DTM not GTR.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_CLK-Class#CLK_GTR_and_CLK_DTM

Also who cares about paper stats. If it laps quick as gently caress then it's fine.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

frozenphil posted:

Did you happen to look at the post above you that shows a mustang with all the track ready poo poo that the GTS has also costs roughly the same amount over a base model? You're a moron if you are going to compare 2 cars performance based on like 4 data points that dont even factor in to what the cars purpose is.

Would I buy a GTS for that sort of money? no, but for what it is the price isnt that outrageous.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

frozenphil posted:

I get marginally outperforms the Mustang because the GTS has 30hp more than the Mustang and weighs almost the same as the Mustang.

What about the 400lbs of weight savings? I thought the Mustang and the regular M3 were pretty close in weight, so 400lbs would be a pretty huge difference, no?

a powerful frown
Jan 31, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

The one car that really put its money where its mouth is is the Megane R26.R. They pulled almost all the stops on that one except A/C.

You're forgetting the Noble M600

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

FedEx posted:

You're forgetting the Noble M600

Hmm yes sir here we are comparing special trackday versions of more pedestrian cars, I see how the Noble M600 fits in with the conversation.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Muffinpox posted:

I might have missed them, but if you're basing the "marginally better performing" on the 0-60 you're only slightly ignoring that this is a track package. You know, corners.

Frozenphil leads an existence unburdened by corners. Or calendars

Slothophile
Jun 23, 2004

Slothophile same as Santa Claus but one small difference: he stop at nothing to kill you.

MrChips posted:

or contact with reality

a powerful frown
Jan 31, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Hmm yes sir here we are comparing special trackday versions of more pedestrian cars, I see how the Noble M600 fits in with the conversation.

is the M600 not a hardcore, driver focused evolution of their earlier and much cheaper models?

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

MrChips posted:

It was a pretty obvious troll the second he started poo poo talking a car that comes with an automatic.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

FedEx posted:

is the M600 not a hardcore, driver focused evolution of their earlier and much cheaper models?
No. It's a more-than-three-times-the-price, completely-new-design, now-our-customer-base-will-all-buy-Farbios-instead model.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

FedEx posted:

No, it's not, it's a new design from a company whose base model cars are already retarded trackday specials with the build quality of a kit car.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Frozenphil lives his life a quarter mile at a time guys, who cares about poo poo like suspension geometry

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

rscott posted:

Frozenphil lives his life a quarter mile at a time guys, who cares about poo poo like suspension geometry

How does this argument stand up in the face of the Mustang dominating the BMW in Grand Am road racing?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

frozenphil posted:

How does this argument stand up in the face of the Mustang dominating the BMW in Grand Am road racing?

I'm sure you can go pick up a Mustang (gotta be with the automatic though, right?) from the corner dealer and then go start whipping BMW's in Grand Am.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

frozenphil posted:

Who won the Continental tire race at Daytona to start the year off? What about VIR?

M3's have 7 podium finishes in the first 4 races this year to go with the 2 wins. Mustangs have 3 podium finishes in the first 4 races.

Stop being an idiotic fanboy for once.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Hey y'all peep the new QX-56.

Click here for the full 1280x850 image.

Christ almighty it's ugly. I had a visceral reaction to it when I saw the picture.

Edit: oopsie table broken, that should do it.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

MikeyTsi posted:

I'm sure you can go pick up a Mustang (gotta be with the automatic though, right?) from the corner dealer and then go start whipping BMW's in Grand Am.

You have to order it, but yeah. You can.

kill me now posted:

Who won the Continental tire race at Daytona to start the year off? What about VIR?

M3's have 7 podium finishes in the first 4 races this year to go with the 2 wins. Mustangs have 3 podium finishes in the first 4 races.

Stop being an idiotic fanboy for once.

Yeah, this year BMW is leading by 8 points so far after the Mustang was neutered. Also, how many teams are running BMWs vs. Mustangs this year?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I caught this weeks Autoline Detroit on podcast, where they had a very detailed inverview with Victor Mueller, the chief of Spyker, about how he plans on turning around SAAB. I thought it was very interesting.

a powerful frown
Jan 31, 2005

that is truly awful

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
It looks like Infiniti's headlight suppliers went, "Oh you want us to make some lamps for a big butch SUV? What if we just tweak what we give you for your other cars just a bit? That good?"

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Christ almighty it's ugly. I had a visceral reaction to it when I saw the picture.

Should I be blaming Maserati for every company wanting to put vents on their fenders these days? It's bad enough having the stick-on ones all over town without the manufacturers reinforcing the behavior.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Sir Tonk posted:

Should I be blaming Maserati for every company wanting to put vents on their fenders these days? It's bad enough having the stick-on ones all over town without the manufacturers reinforcing the behavior.

No, because portholes date back to the 50s; if not earlier.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

frozenphil posted:

Yeah, this year BMW is leading by 8 points so far after the Mustang was neutered. Also, how many teams are running BMWs vs. Mustangs this year?

At Daytona
9 M3's
16 Mustang Gt's and Boss 302R's

Im not going to count them up in the other races so far but you're more then welcome to http://www.grand-am.com/schedule/index.cfm?series=k&cat_id=91.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I think it looks better than the current one. v:unsmith:v

Although the side vents look out of place.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It looks Chinese. How does the dealership conversation go with the people who buy those things? I really don't understand what they must be thinking.

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

It looks like Infiniti's headlight suppliers went, "Oh you want us to make some lamps for a big butch SUV? What if we just tweak what we give you for your other cars just a bit? That good?"

Well, it's not like they'd done that bef-

Mr. Apollo posted:

Oh. :negative:

Every time I see one of those in traffic somewhere, I have a visceral anger reaction to it and then have to spend the next 5 minutes explaining how a design unit that's been doing things so right for the last 10 years managed to do something so wrong for that car. I mean, the vast sail of blank sheet metal above the headlights HAS to have disgusted some old Japanese man at some point, why did they let it out of the factory like that? Do they think half-height light housings make the car look like it weighs less than 5,500 pounds? What about using the EXACT SAME REAR PANELS AS THE ARMADA?

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
All right guys, we're redesigning the QX. We don't have a lot of ideas, but one thing's for sure. It needs to look like the Toyota Sequoia and have even less visibility than before. Raise that beltline to the ceiling!

loving ugh.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Compared to the old one, the beltine and the window thing is positively artistic though. What the gently caress were they thinking with the C-pillar on the old one?

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Compared to the old one, the beltine and the window thing is positively artistic though. What the gently caress were they thinking with the C-pillar on the old one?

They were thinking "hey what if we put leather and an analog clock in this thing"

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Wait you guys actually want to see out of your cars what the gently caress is wrong with you

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

kimbo305 posted:

Brand identity, etc., etc.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

travisray2004 posted:

No, because portholes date back to the 50s; if not earlier.

Yeah I've seen them on cars back in the day, but the only car built since the 80's that I can think of with them has been Maserati. I think there was a Chrysler in the 80's that had them, but that was the most recent one I can think of.

edit, words

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 27, 2010

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

All current Cadillacs, except for the DTS, have some sort of vents in the front fender. Buick also puts portholes on the Enclave and Lucerne.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 27, 2010

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Edit, not quote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suave
Jan 10, 2008
TGIF
http://www.autoobserver.com/2010/05/whats-wrong-at-honda-maybe-everything.html

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/05/26/delayed-civic-begs-the-question-has-honda-lost-the-plot

The next civic needs to be a miracle IMO. This is coming from a Honda die-hard.