Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

loving finally. Need to bed the pads to the rotor, besides that, it's pretty much good to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
DRZ shortcoming number one, handled.
Now where's that RMZ front end?

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
you're going to love those brakes.
I love my beringer caliper & disc. stoppies are so drat easy.

It turns out my fork sticking issue is normal for the RM250 forks, twin chamber characteristic... apparently.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Zool posted:

I think I'm going to spring for luggage first.

I'm astounded at how well it handles now that I'm running matched fronts and rears. Maybe I'll give the Contis another shot...or maybe I'll just dig up some takeoffs. :iiam:

I started to bed the pads but they haven't taken completely just yet. And I still have air in the lines. gently caress, dirtbike lines with that tall loop are a bitch to bleed from empty.

Also, I need to get a SS line and a new master cylinder. Priorities, priorities...

Jharkov, that's really weird...you'd think you'd want smooth travel all the way through but I guess it doesn't matter that much? Where'd you find out that it was just the way the forks are?

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...
Holy poo poo, you've actually accomplished something! Looking good, but get some ratchet straps instead of bungie cords.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

laymil posted:

Holy poo poo, you've actually accomplished something! Looking good, but get some ratchet straps instead of bungie cords.

Meh, bungie cords are good enough ;)

Installed edge tailight setup, wired up blinkers and installed the license plate. :woop:

Also have one of my favorite bikes in santa barbara back in the garage.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
I don't remember that Honda being there when I visited?
Tell me more?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jabs posted:

I don't remember that Honda being there when I visited?
Tell me more?

It's one of my favorite bikes...a 1975 Honda CB400F owned from new by a woman who's put 50k on it. It's got a nasty cam chain rattle so I'm gonna see if I can sort that out. Besides that, it's in for an oil/filter change and a new chain. It's awesome, a 35 year old 400cc 4 that redlines at 11k.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Whelp, the transmission in Bunway's DRZ is going. :sigh:

On the bright side, that means it's time to upgrade...

440 engine, kick starter, 1200 miles on it. I'll drop this engine in my DRZ, and swap my engine with 6k on it into her bike, swapping over her big bore kit.

That'll also give me a chance to replace the cam chain, tear down her transmission, and see what the hell happened.

And because they were a killer deal:

RM125 forks with Applied triple clamps, sprung for my weight, for 275$ shipped.

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face
No I'm not happy about my transmission.

And the piece of poo poo still sits in the garage untouched.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Bunway Airlines posted:

And the piece of poo poo still sits in the garage untouched.

Why isn't Z3n allowed in the house?

tarzanspuma
Jan 23, 2006

Gorilla

Bunway Airlines posted:

God is punishing you for selling Linus.

Obviously, there is only one path to redemption. :smug:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

When do we get BAGLBEABS* gang tags?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

When do we get BAGLBEABS* gang tags?

You wouldnt even have to get us anything for Christmas then, Sigtrap!!

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Hey Z, thought you might be interested in this since you mentioned you would like to have a No Mar changer. Apparently its made by No Mar but sold under another name. About $200 cheaper.

http://www.cyclehill-tirechanger-secure.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

tarzanspuma posted:

God is punishing you for selling Linus.

Obviously, there is only one path to redemption. :smug:

Sell this to me, and then make me pay for it after my wedding in July.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Hey Z, thought you might be interested in this since you mentioned you would like to have a No Mar changer. Apparently its made by No Mar but sold under another name. About $200 cheaper.

http://www.cyclehill-tirechanger-secure.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1

I actually ended up buying a HF setup. You can see it over here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3274113

I should really update that thread at some point with what I think now.

frozen...:laffo:

I'd love a baglbeabs* gang tag but I think it is not to be :(

tarzanspuma
Jan 23, 2006

Gorilla

TheFonz posted:

Sell this to me, and then make me pay for it after my wedding in July.

Invite me to your wedding and I'll think about it...

There'll be an open bar, right?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/thread/905528/re-engineered-5th-gear/

Yup. I think I'm gonna have to go there. Got a fragged engine, a fragged transmission...looks like it's time to fix that loving transmission. It's gonna be a BIG overdrive to 5th, but gently caress it, no one really uses 5th anyways. Seems like the next best thing after a real 6 speed swap which will never happen.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Z3n posted:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/thread/905528/re-engineered-5th-gear/

Yup. I think I'm gonna have to go there. Got a fragged engine, a fragged transmission...looks like it's time to fix that loving transmission. It's gonna be a BIG overdrive to 5th, but gently caress it, no one really uses 5th anyways. Seems like the next best thing after a real 6 speed swap which will never happen.
I wish TT would stop "upgrading" their forums.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
I'd just gear it taller personally.

First is too short already. I always need to change gear mid-corner from 1-2 on even the mildest corners. I'd rather a longer first or a shorter first, go longer and get more top end. That said i don't really highway or track mine.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

I wish TT would stop "upgrading" their forums.

I have to say, this upgrade has been better than the previous ones...god I hated the last version of their site. But the one they used ages ago was still the best. :sigh:

Dropped the engine out of the DRZ, put it on the bench, almost got to the point where I could split the cases.

Things just coming apart:

Valves:

Piston:

I've got this weird spiderweb pattern going on in the bore, any ideas what is going on here? Is it still good to use?

Top end off:

Removing side covers:

Other side cover gone:

Clutch removed:

Took the picture after I'd already removed 4 of them, but these screws gave me no end of grief. Not looking forward to reinstalling those:

The offending retainer/screws:

Everything removed except the gears on the balancer shaft and crank:

I destroyed the gently caress out of my fingernail getting those gears off, sorry for the blurry picture:

Tomorrow I'll split the cases and see what the gently caress happened to the transmission. It wasn't the easy fix (shift pawls being sticky/jammed) so at least it wasn't a waste ordering the new engine and everything. I'd imagine I'm going to find some trashed shift forks and shift drum worn to hell, the bike had 2 seasons of racing + whatever trackdays and then a bunch of commuting miles put on it.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 08:12 on May 16, 2010

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Z3n posted:

Piston:

Did it drop a valve?

Z3n posted:

I've got this weird spiderweb pattern going on in the bore, any ideas what is going on here? Is it still good to use?

[totallyuninformedopinion]Kinda looks like the coating on the bore is starting to come off.[/totallyuninformedopinion]

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Did it drop a valve?

No, that's the weird thing. Valves still seal fine, runs great, plenty of power. I have no idea what's going on there. I immediately checked the valves (by filling them with gasoline, as recommended), and they didn't leak at all.

quote:

[totallyuninformedopinion]Kinda looks like the coating on the bore is starting to come off.[/totallyuninformedopinion]

That's what I thought too...but I don't know poo poo about these things either.

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
Are you slapping a big bore on?
Post a pic of that cylinder on TT and eddie will put forward advice. IMO i think the coating is blown. Cheaper to buy a new cylinder in a big bore kit.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jharkov posted:

Are you slapping a big bore on?
Post a pic of that cylinder on TT and eddie will put forward advice. IMO i think the coating is blown. Cheaper to buy a new cylinder in a big bore kit.

Yeah I posted it. Eddie thinks that the valves have been hitting the piston for the last 8k miles that it's had the big bore kit on it. I'm confused because the valves aren't bent/are still sealing, and there's no scraping in the cylinder that indicates the piston getting cocked sideways or anything. It must have just barely been touching the piston.

The cylinder is from a cylinder works 434 kit.

Figures that on my first rebuild on my own I'd end up with a problem like this. :haw:

Z3n fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 16, 2010

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
Ive been curious about these issues of piston and valve contact...
I thought they were plug and play kits? You need to adjust cam timing for different pistons? I suppose they may change compression ratios so i dont know.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
The coating on the bore is nikasil, and that coating is shot. You can get it re-plated, which actually might be cheaper than buying a new one. Service Honda (who has some pretty good prices on OEM stuff) is naming off a 400 cylinder for around that year bike (didn't know the exact) for $413. A nikasil re-plate looks around $250.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jharkov posted:

Ive been curious about these issues of piston and valve contact...
I thought they were plug and play kits? You need to adjust cam timing for different pistons? I suppose they may change compression ratios so i dont know.

They are plug and play kits. The problem is that the PO installed stage 2 hotcams and I don't think they were ever properly degreed, and that's why only the exhaust valve was making contact.

If I were more motivated, I'd slap it all back together, torque it down, and check the TDC with some clay to see how much clearance it had...I have a feeling it'd be zero.

mAlfunkti0n posted:

The coating on the bore is nikasil, and that coating is shot. You can get it re-plated, which actually might be cheaper than buying a new one. Service Honda (who has some pretty good prices on OEM stuff) is naming off a 400 cylinder for around that year bike (didn't know the exact) for $413. A nikasil re-plate looks around $250.

Yeah, I'm gonna call cylinder works (they made the bore kit) on monday and see how much they'd charge for a replate. Send them both the caliper and the piston and see what they say. The piston looks good, no combustion leakage past the rings, so who loving knows what happened. :sigh:

I finished splitting the cases today. The transmission doesn't have any obvious damage, but everything is out of factory spec, so maybe that had something to do with it. There's minor wear on the dogs, the shift forks are about .2mm more narrow than the spec says they should be, maybe that plus some abuse to the ratchet pawls is what caused it to not want to go into gear. Either way, I'm gonna order up a new transmission, and try to do the 3rd to 5th swap, see how I like that.

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
I suspect buying a new cylinder from ebay is cheaper than replating.

That would explain why you're having problems. Stage 2 hotcam.
Maybe put an E cam in and see how you go. My mate grenaded his engine using a stage 2 hotcam. i dont trust em'

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Can you feel those little spiderwebs with your finger? Or are they not deep enough?

I'm wondering if that contributed to the oil consumption too?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jharkov posted:

I suspect buying a new cylinder from ebay is cheaper than replating.

That would explain why you're having problems. Stage 2 hotcam.
Maybe put an E cam in and see how you go. My mate grenaded his engine using a stage 2 hotcam. i dont trust em'

Yeah, I'm less than thrilled. I'm gonna call hotcams and see if they'll check them for me, and then sell them. I figure they're worth at least 150$ or so, and I'll be damned if I reuse them. I've got a set of E cams sitting in a box (her DRZ was originally an E model converted to street use), so those will go back in.

Phat_Albert posted:

Can you feel those little spiderwebs with your finger? Or are they not deep enough?

I'm wondering if that contributed to the oil consumption too?

Nope, can't feel them with my finger. Her bike didn't seem to burn oil, so it looks like it was caught before bad things happened.

Dubs posted:

I'd just gear it taller personally.

First is too short already. I always need to change gear mid-corner from 1-2 on even the mildest corners. I'd rather a longer first or a shorter first, go longer and get more top end. That said i don't really highway or track mine.

I somehow missed this post...the whole reason I want to do it is to have basically 4 hooligan gears and one long overdrive for the freeway. 14/41 is a good gearing, power wheelies in first and easy clutch ups in second, but it revs over WAY too high on the freeway. 15/41 is livable on the freeway, but it doesn't want to power up in first and second clutch ups are a hit or miss affair (probably because I suck at wheelies). I can live with taching out 4th if I want power in 5th, the only thing that might be a concerns is I'm gonna have to be careful going out of 5th and into 4th.

RMZ forks should show up today, and I just realized I don't have a good solution for mounting the headlight/speedo to those forks, but that's ok because the speedo cable doesn't work with the new wheels anyways. :downs: Engine will be here tomorrow. Tonight I'm probably gonna clean up the frame and then the new engine can get slotted in.

Also, anyone have any thoughts on acewell gauges? They've expanded their lineup and seem like they could compete with vapor now.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 17, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Called cylinder works, they don't do replates.

Called Milennium, who they recommended. Replate is 190$, plus shipping back to me.

A new piston kit (circlips, wrist pin, piston, rings) is 160$ + shipping.

Gaskets are 60$ + shipping).

New big bore kit from a reputable, trusted company with a MCCT: 420$.

Godddamnit.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
Buy the new one and sell the old one on craigslist as a big bore kit needing a replating for $200. Get your Ferengi on, son!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

frozenphil posted:

Buy the new one and sell the old one on craigslist as a big bore kit needing a replating for $200. Get your Ferengi on, son!

Yeah, I'm sorta figuring that's the way to go. Probably gonna hawk the Stage 2 hotcams, too, no reason to hold on to them. That should net me a decent bit of cash for now, at least. (Which will actually go back to the fiancee as they are her parts...:v:)

Z3n fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 17, 2010

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

Z3n posted:

Also, anyone have any thoughts on acewell gauges? They've expanded their lineup and seem like they could compete with vapor now.

If all those engine problems are taking a hit on your budge and you don't care about ghetto-ing the speedo, try this

Costs 18 bucks on amazon, probably 20 at your local bike shop... Goes up to 180mph, has total and parcial odometer, clock, and allows for error-free speed detection since you program in the circuference of your tire... The visibility isn't great at night, but the small size, price and ease of installation make up for it :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Primo Itch posted:

If all those engine problems are taking a hit on your budge and you don't care about ghetto-ing the speedo, try this

Costs 18 bucks on amazon, probably 20 at your local bike shop... Goes up to 180mph, has total and parcial odometer, clock, and allows for error-free speed detection since you program in the circuference of your tire... The visibility isn't great at night, but the small size, price and ease of installation make up for it :)

Yeah I've run bicycle computers before...they're a nice cheap alternative, but I do a fair bit of night riding so the lack of a backlight is kind of a killer. And I've actually got enough spares floating around that I'll just rebuild the engine as a stocker for now, hopefully with the modified transmission, and see how things go. Thanks for the suggestion though :)

Plus honestly, I speed less when I don't have a speedo, which is also good.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 18, 2010

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Hello all. Been lurking since long before I got this account, but anyways.

The company I work for does industrial PVD & CVD coatings, and although Nikasil is done with EPD (which we don't do), I've still heard a little this and that about it.

Peeling or cracking of Nikasil coatings can be caused by quite a lot of things, almost all of which are outside the end users control, such as substandard materials (in the coating or the cylinder), or poor plating response to the type of aluminium alloy used. Having said that, THE most common cause of this is bad prep before plating. :eng101:

Everyone loves useless information. Right? :blush:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Hello all. Been lurking since long before I got this account, but anyways.

The company I work for does industrial PVD & CVD coatings, and although Nikasil is done with EPD (which we don't do), I've still heard a little this and that about it.

Peeling or cracking of Nikasil coatings can be caused by quite a lot of things, almost all of which are outside the end users control, such as substandard materials (in the coating or the cylinder), or poor plating response to the type of aluminium alloy used. Having said that, THE most common cause of this is bad prep before plating. :eng101:

Everyone loves useless information. Right? :blush:

Interesting...good to know. Is the damage in the picture consistent with what you'd expect for it cracking?

And hell yeah I love useless information...even if it means I can't blame the damage on the PO. :v: Thanks for explaining that.

Zool posted:

Ask and ye shall receive!

Here's the engine in pieces:

Click here for the full 1536x1152 image.

And here's the current status of the DRZ that it came out of...I cleaned up the frame a bit, may as well do it while it's easy and the engine is out.

Click here for the full 1536x1152 image.

Engine will be here tomorrow, but I won't be here to sign for it, so I'll probably have to pick it up at the depot wednesday night. :sigh:

Should have the engine back in the bike and ready to go before the weekend though :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
Im shopping for a cheap engine to send off to Eddie. but im afraid he'll say no to my 470 order because he doesn't like shipping things overseas.

Z3n, are you getting the same stiction i have with my forks? The suspension shop says its normal for these twin chamber MX forks, but im not entirely convinced

• Locked thread