Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Rakewell
Aug 24, 2004
Check out my progress!

Pug posted:

Outsider looking at daytrading. How much starting capital do you need to be successful? How many months of education would you say is also recommended / required?

Considering that the SEC's de facto guideline is $25k minimum (i.e. the minimum balance you need to be able to maintain in a pattern day trader account), that's about the smallest amount of capital you should have immediately available and able to lose without pain in order to be trading regularly. Doing so for a living is a whole other story and I wouldn't even feel comfortable trying it with a small 6 figure balance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LactoseO.D.'d
Jun 3, 2002

Pug posted:

Outsider looking at daytrading. How much starting capital do you need to be successful? How many months of education would you say is also recommended / required?

There is a pretty well documented fail rate between 75-90% irrespective of experience and capitalization (though they are factors). I have some hard data to back that up if you would like more detail. If you explore the internet you can find whole daytrading communities with thousands of people that are now ghost towns where nobody was successful, and advisory services that fail like clockwork every 2-3 years.

I'd also recommend against learning online poker. The easy money there has been gone for 10 years. Its a lot of grind for very little cash. If you want to play, just play the Sunday majors; grinding multi-tables all day, every day will crush most normal people.

To actually answer your question and not just throw a bunch of advice you didn't originally ask for at you (though it is important to consider): You can daytrade with as little as 5k at a prop, futures broker, or FX broker. I'd recommend being able to string together at least 4 profitable weeks in a row before trading in cash -that may take months or years depending on how quickly you are able to figure things out. Once again, the odds of success are not in your favor. Chances are you won't heed the warnings anyway.

Ravarek
Apr 25, 2004

Solid gold dipes:
E'ry day I'm hustlin'.

LactoseO.D.'d posted:

There is a pretty well documented fail rate between 75-90% irrespective of experience and capitalization (though they are factors). I have some hard data to back that up if you would like more detail. If you explore the internet you can find whole daytrading communities with thousands of people that are now ghost towns where nobody was successful, and advisory services that fail like clockwork every 2-3 years.

I'd also recommend against learning online poker. The easy money there has been gone for 10 years. Its a lot of grind for very little cash. If you want to play, just play the Sunday majors; grinding multi-tables all day, every day will crush most normal people.

To actually answer your question and not just throw a bunch of advice you didn't originally ask for at you (though it is important to consider): You can daytrade with as little as 5k at a prop, futures broker, or FX broker. I'd recommend being able to string together at least 4 profitable weeks in a row before trading in cash -that may take months or years depending on how quickly you are able to figure things out. Once again, the odds of success are not in your favor. Chances are you won't heed the warnings anyway.

This. Daytrading is pretty much a sucker's game. Please don't do it.

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'
The best I ever did was daytrading, but I had under $25k, so I could only do it a few times a week, and once I did it too much and basically ended up with a crappy cash account.

Daytrading is actually fairly easy if you choose the right targets and trade like a robot. Something like SPY would be more predictable. The longer you watch the stock market, the more you realize that there are points in a price's movement where there has to be some retracement, during those .1%-1% movements you can start racking up your money if you do a few a day, especially if you have $100k+ to trade with. But greed will get almost everybody and they won't wait for the absolute best, nearly guaranteed time, and they'll lose money, then lose more trying to catch up etc.

So yeah, it is kind of like poker, you're grinding, trying to find the highest % chance of payoff opportunities. That's why banks make so much loving money, because they do the exact same thing, but millions of times a day.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Holy crap, what just happened to TiVo? http://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ:TIVO

I tried looking for news, but didn't find anything.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Holy crap, what just happened to TiVo? http://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ:TIVO

http://preview.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive_en10&sid=aum3bPRe2F94

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Dr. Eldarion posted:

It jumped that high when they won a patent-infringement case against Dish and EchoStar in February. An hour ago it was announced that the decision was being reconsidered.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

strwrsxprt posted:

It jumped that high when they won a patent-infringement case against Dish and EchoStar in February. An hour ago it was announced that the decision was being reconsidered.
Seems like a serious overreaction to me.

PianoDragn
Jan 30, 2006

gvibes posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZvRpnZbNio

This is what always pops in my head, unfortunately there was no good quality vids of Bender yelling ABANDON SHIP on youtube.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Doesn't Tivo actually derive a significant portion of its revenue from patent royalties? I seem to remember hearing about this when the patent case was first going on.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

gvibes posted:

ie; a great mid risk play.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

abagofcheetos posted:

Doesn't Tivo actually derive a significant portion of its revenue from patent royalties? I seem to remember hearing about this when the patent case was first going on.
But, I mean, there is nothing in the decision to suggest that the court was wrong on the basic infringement/validity determination. It's just about procedural postures and burdens of proof and poo poo.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/15/secretive-speed-traders-i_n_577557.html

"More than a week after the Dow Jones industrial average fell nearly 1,000 points, its biggest intraday drop ever, regulators are still sifting through buy and sell orders to figure out what sparked it. One big focus are orders placed by high-frequency traders, or HFTs, and for good reason. These quick-buck firms barely existed a few years ago but now account for two-thirds of all U.S. stock trading."

I know these kinds of firms have existed pretty much since the beginning of the NASDAQ listings really, but this is the kind of thing diehards of that "creating markets" philosophy inevitably make happen. I've watch enough movies to know it's a bad thing when you start to let the robots run the show.

Dotcom Jillionaire fucked around with this message at 06:57 on May 16, 2010

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
It wasn't a flash crash. It was everyone backed out because the market volume was hosed. Also, market orders should be banned and would solve this. But yeah apparently a sell of 75,000 sells of the ES were announced prior then sold and hosed things over. Seems pretty bs, basically no volume and a sell hosed things over along with forex issues.

sublyme
Mar 21, 2003
lol poker
edit - poo poo i think i posted in the wrong thread, sorry, maybe i should put this money into stocks instead?

Ok, ETrade is frustrating me. I rolled over money from my old 401k from when I was a substitute teacher to an ETrade Rollover IRA. Granted, it's a small amount of money, $414 approximately, but it's still worth investing, right? So I go through their automated questionairre, and it dumps me on step 3 out of 4 telling me their recommended solution is to build my own portfolio, even though the previous 3 questions I stated I have no investing experience and would rather have things chosen for me.

So with the recommended amounts for my large cap and small cap and all that, I decide to just go ahead and look at some mutual funds and do it myself. However, the transaction fee for each is $20! That's going to cost me 5% of my rollover IRA for each time I distribute my money into mutual funds! Is there any solution to this that doesn't end in me losing 20%? I should go ahead and state that losing this $414 doesn't bother me in the slightest, I just want to invest as much of it as I can without blowing a huge chunk on transaction fees.

In case anyone is wondering, here's the results I got:
Large Cap 44%
Small Cap 16%
International 20%
Fixed Income 17%
Other 0%
Cash 3%

sublyme fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 18, 2010

Baddog
May 12, 2001
ok first, diversifying 400 dollars is a joke. Just stick it into an index fund for 10 dollars. Even that is painful, 2.5%.

do you have another 401k you can add to this rollover?

You can also transfer up to 5k into that account as your roth IRA.

So get some more money into that account somehow, put it into (1) index fund, and forget about it for awhile.

sublyme
Mar 21, 2003
lol poker

Baddog posted:

ok first, diversifying 400 dollars is a joke. Just stick it into an index fund for 10 dollars. Even that is painful, 2.5%.

do you have another 401k you can add to this rollover?

You can also transfer up to 5k into that account as your roth IRA.

So get some more money into that account somehow, put it into (1) index fund, and forget about it for awhile.
No other 401k, I have 4k in savings but that's about 6 months living expenses so I'd like to keep that liquid in case of injury, losing my job, etc etc. Guess I'll just throw the $400 into an index fund, like I said I don't know much about investing so I didn't realize 400 bucks was so worthless. ETrade's automated crap confused me. Sorry for derailing your thread, guys, I reposted over in the newbie thread so you can just ignore this.

sublyme fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 18, 2010

Baddog
May 12, 2001

sublyme posted:

No other 401k, I have 4k in savings but that's about 6 months living expenses so I'd like to keep that liquid in case of injury, losing my job, etc etc. Guess I'll just throw the $400 into an index fund, like I said I don't know much about investing so I didn't realize 400 bucks was so worthless. ETrade's automated crap confused me. Sorry for derailing your thread, guys, I reposted over in the newbie thread so you can just ignore this.

its not so worthless, but you're just going to get killed on commissions if you try to do anything much with it.

Here are some common ETFs to look into. spy or qqqq probably have the lowest expense ratios. I'm not sure what they are exactly these days, but it should be pretty low.

iwo - russell 2000
qqqq - nasdaq 100
spy - s&p 500
dia - dow jones

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'
My guess for the next few weeks:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

I'm cranky most of the time.

ayekappy posted:

My guess for the next few weeks:

If we close the week below 1135 (and I'll be very surprised if we don't) we'll test 1100 but I think it will hold. Barring bad news I think we'll be back above 1200 by the end of July (though I'm not placing any bets on that just yet).

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

I WANT TO EAT BABBY posted:

If we close the week below 1135 (and I'll be very surprised if we don't) we'll test 1100 but I think it will hold. Barring bad news I think we'll be back above 1200 by the end of July (though I'm not placing any bets on that just yet).

Oh, go on, place a bet. Write a June S & P call at 1200 and buy a July call at 1200. If it goes well you'll make a huge return on your investment, and can come back and brag to us for months.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
anyone see the LDK upgrade? I dumped my shares yesterday; :-( itching to get back in but I'm afraid the Euro storm isn't over for chinese solar, any opinions?

Also, what do you all think of Altria (MO)? any more upside beyond the 24 mark?

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

I'm cranky most of the time.

Hobologist posted:

Oh, go on, place a bet. Write a June S & P call at 1200 and buy a July call at 1200. If it goes well you'll make a huge return on your investment, and can come back and brag to us for months.

No no, you see in this thread you never talk about trades when you make them, you just come in afterward and talk about how brilliant you are.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
WDC is driving me nuts.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

abagofcheetos posted:

WDC is driving me nuts.
I agree.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Same for STX.

I dont get it. I just dont loving get it.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe the market thinks that computers are just a passing fad.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Yet Intel had a great quarter, AAPL as well, Seagate and WDC did too.

You dont buy a PC/Laptop without storage.

Facebook has to store all the privacy violating poo poo they do somewhere.

I just dont understand how the market hates harddrives.

Jack
Jan 19, 2001
They're too busy pumping 'cloud computing' and CRM. God I can't wait until someone gets fed up with the razor thin margins and pushes the sell button. Thing will fall 30% overnight. I'm hoping its this Thursday with earnings. I have my short all set from $88 and with a nice cheap $90 call option hedge thanks to the past 2 day sell off.

Lose $1000 (+2k in unrealized gains) or gain $5000+ if it does what it should have done ages ago.

Took FSLR only about half a year to get cut by $200 and CRM will trade in the 40s eventually too I'm sure.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
I can understand pumping the cloud, but where is that cloud gonna be stored? Hence my inability to understand why storage stocks arent doing well with all the cloud craze.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Not to mention the fundamentals of these stocks are absurd. About $12 of WDC's share price is literally cash, with only $400 million long term debt, and they are earning like $1.70 a share per quarter.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

abagofcheetos posted:

Not to mention the fundamentals of these stocks are absurd. About $12 of WDC's share price is literally cash, with only $400 million long term debt, and they are earning like $1.70 a share per quarter.
I'm an idiot who understands nothing about the market, but I own a decent amount of WDC. Do you mind explaining why those conditions are absurd?

Baddog
May 12, 2001

MrBigglesworth posted:

I can understand pumping the cloud, but where is that cloud gonna be stored? Hence my inability to understand why storage stocks arent doing well with all the cloud craze.

Cloud storage reduces overhead tremendously.

Instead of 100 people each having a couple terrabytes free storage as overhead, maybe there is a couple terrabytes free for that whole group (purchased in bulk at even thinner margins than usual).

edit - I believe western digitals percent of the SSD market is much smaller than traditional drives, right?

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

strwrsxprt posted:

I'm an idiot who understands nothing about the market, but I own a decent amount of WDC. Do you mind explaining why those conditions are absurd?
I too am very amateur, but this is my read. As I said, they have a ton of cash on their books, and almost no debt. And their cash flow and base is increasing every year. End of year 2006 they had $1.1 billion in equity, last year it was $3.1 billion. This, with their low debt, gives them tremendous flexibility, and has allowed them to make several all cash acquisitions in the past couple years. They are basically bringing in very large amounts of cash, and have very little overhead or debt service to spend it on.

It also means that their P/E is a crazy low 6.5, whereas the S&P's P/E is about 20.

Seagate is in a very similar situation, except they have much more debt on the books.

Baddog posted:

edit - I believe western digitals percent of the SSD market is much smaller than traditional drives, right?
Yes this is true, however they purchased a company early last year in order to bolster their lineup.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Still short for this week and she's treating me good. I bought some january 10 puts on mco last week early for the failure trade. Their head sovereign guy left today and governments keep going after them, so why not.

Also, hedge hedge hedge. Don't be 100% long and keep asking questions of "Why is WDC down" when the whole drat market is practically down.

http://www.businessinsider.com/global-macros-raoul-pal-heres-why-a-crash-is-coming-in-two-days-to-two-weeks-2010-5

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Oh no doubt, I've gone over 75% bonds in my retirement accounts. I think a terrible market correction is going to occur by years end.

Still, WDC's movement though is puzzling regardless if it is a down day or not.

MayakovskyMarmite
Dec 5, 2009

fougera posted:

Also, what do you all think of Altria (MO)? any more upside beyond the 24 mark?

It basically depends on three interconnected things: 1) how the new FDA stuff shakes out; 2) how successful their non-cigarette tobacco products are; and 3) litigation. Otherwise they are still very profitable and kick out a great consistent dividend since their product is addictive. While their customers are rapidly dieing there seems to be a steady stream of new customers.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Annoyed.
Happy with my GE calls, did it at the right time, so I got some protection there.

QCOM killed me, but I held way less of that than GE. I should have sold calls when I bought it. I thought about it. Since it's so volatile, they were fetching a good premium too.

But I'm holding.
QCOM has followed a pattern for years, and I'm still confident in them as a company and with where 3g/4g is going.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Selling calls can trap you in a falling market too, be careful. We might rally on friday with options friday if we keep going down till then. Good exit time, gap has to fill sometime but continuation of down is on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Does anyone have WSJ online access? I got linked to this article by someone but I can't read it: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703745904575248661121721980.html#articleTabs%3Darticle