Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

Anyone ever try transplanting from the ground back into a container? I was thinking about taking some of my tomato plants with me since it's kinda late to start new ones up there. Also, the ground is nothing but gravel 2 feet deep there, anyway. Plants are about a foot tall and bushy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I'm sure you could do it by 'digging big' and knocking dirt off until you hit significant root mass. Be careful, though.

Also I would try to match the soil formulation that it has been growing in at least somewhat. A slightly more aerated mix of what it's growing in should be okay.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Here is what I have so far this year. My first year, by the way.

Top to bottom: Cherry tomato, 2x rhubarb, chives and rosemary, a forgotten veggie and peppers. Carrots between rows.

Squash, squash, squash, Thai basil, oregano, regular basil, mint, boxwood basil

Garlic and white onions on the left row, roma/Black Prince/Mr. Stripey tomatoes and bell/Mucho Nacho/New Mexico 6-4L peppers

Ginger geranium, ornamental curry and patchouli.

Catnip, elfin thyme and my favorite, pineapple sage.

Front yard plots. Freesias and lilies on the right, sunflowers on the left.

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

Figured I'd take a few pictures before leaving it to croak Tuesday.

Overview

Absurd amount of lettuce. Really, you have no idea how much lettuce this is until you fill a Wal-Mart bag, nicely packed, completely full and can't tell you picked anything.

Cucumber fences

Left to right: Brussels Sprouts, Cabbage, Broccoli and Cauliflower.

Here you can see the squash/zucchini hills and my potato box. Can't actually walk out there because I'd sink up to my knees after all the rain.

Tomatoes, not yet caged and I guess won't be. Those with a sharp eye may notice the cages hiding in the tall grass.

[img]

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
I would be gutted to have to just leave that stuff behind. There aren't any people locally who would take care of it in exchange for the produce?

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

Last year I had to leave around the first week of July. I live in a tiny isolated neighborhood, so I heard lot's of laughingly related tales about how everyone was in my garden daily. Thing is, nobody bothered to pull a few weeds or water it, so they just got what was there until everything died and was overgrown. Although I was 400 miles away it technically shouldn't matter to me one way or another, I was still slightly annoyed.

Even if they kept it immaculate it wouldn't really benefit me.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
I just meant for the sake of the garden itself. Hate to see all those plants go to waste.

This rain is killing us here in NC too. My garden was in standing water last night with quarter size hail tearing up my tomatoes, and it's pouring down rain again tonight. :(

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

mischief posted:

I just meant for the sake of the garden itself. Hate to see all those plants go to waste.

This rain is killing us here in NC too. My garden was in standing water last night with quarter size hail tearing up my tomatoes, and it's pouring down rain again tonight. :(

God, yes. What the hell is with all this rain!? I need 80 degree heat, not 8 more inches of rain! I blame myself, I set up soaker hoses throughout my garden which obviously is causing this to be one of the coolest and wettest spring/early summers I can remember.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Holy poo poo, my strawberries are insane. I've been harvesting anywhere between one and two pints a day for the past week. I would have taken a picture of today's harvest (just shy of two pints) but by the time I'd gotten the bird netting back up I found my 2 kids had eaten all but about a dozen of the smallest and saddest looking berries. Maybe tomorrow I'll get some money shots.

Damiana
Feb 15, 2008
Title Placeholder
So, two nights ago, my boyfriend mowed the grass and destroyed two zucchini plants, a tulip and my grape vine. The grape vine is the only possibly salvageable thing. (It looks like it was pulled up and had its roots chopped.) There is about 2-3 inches of roots left. I tried to plant it again. Is there anything I can do to save it?

I saved all of my plants from an almost 2 year old trying to bash them with a shovel. Why must my boyfriend go and destroy my work?

nationalism
Feb 25, 2006

"not gay"
Dip the roots in cloning gel or rooting hormone. Put the rest of the plant in a humidity dome. Remove all but a couple leaves. Give it a little light and keep it somewhere cool.

If the other plants were just decapitated with the roots in the ground, obviously the solution is to graft the grape onto your zucchini and create an undead agricultural abomination.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

What the hell is going on with my roma tomatoes here? Google tells me it might be Blossom End Rot caused by calcium deficiency induced by water stress. Is there anything I can do about it or is this plant pretty much a goner now?

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Definitely blossom end rot, I've heard that you can crush up a couple tums tablets and mix them into the soil as a temporary remedy. Otherwise just make sure the plants are getting even watering, and cross your fingers. If the plants are in the ground instead of a pot, an application of garden lime before planting can also help for next year.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe
A good nursery should be able to provide a nutrient mix with calcium in it. Look for one with low nitrogen but high in other nutrients, lest your tomatoes grow too large without as much fruit.

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

My first few tomatoes always have it.

kingfet
Jan 30, 2010
For tomatoes what size containers do you recommend? Can I get by with 2 gallons each, or should I really go with a 5 gallon?

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe

kingfet posted:

For tomatoes what size containers do you recommend? Can I get by with 2 gallons each, or should I really go with a 5 gallon?

I've always heard 5 gallons is a bare minimum and a quick google search seemed to confirm that. You'd need to be watering several times a day if you did anything less and you'd likely still get poor results.

aluminumonkey
Jun 19, 2002

Reggie loves tacos
I'm about to build my raised garden this weekend. I know it may be a little late in the season to get things in, but I wanted to get the build out of the way so I can start getting the soil ready.

Does anyone have good raised garden box plans that I can look at before I build? The area I have to use is about 9x14 so I was thinking about breaking it up into 2 boxes.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

I made a 4x8 box using the steps here: http://www.sunset.com/garden/backyard-projects/ultimate-raised-bed-how-to-00400000011938/

There's no reason you can't get different length 2"x6" boards. Just be warned that you will need quite a bit of soil to fill 9x14. I've got at least 20 40# bags of soil in my raised bed and it could still hold quite a bit more.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
This is very close to the instructions from Sunset above, but another source:
http://www.backyardgardening.net/article/raised-wood-bed/

I built mine last weekend. Got (4) 2"x12"x10' from Home Depot, cut 3' off of each one to form the ends of the boxes, then used a 4"x4"x8' cut into 1' pieces to form the posts. Used 4" decking screws. Built (2) 3'4"x7' boxes. I recommend drilling tap holes for the screws, makes it much easier to put everything together. It was about $50 for everything (not including soil/mulch/compost, which my city's compost service provides for free).

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

chrix posted:

Just be warned that you will need quite a bit of soil to fill 9x14. I've got at least 20 40# bags of soil in my raised bed and it could still hold quite a bit more.

Oh don't buy bag dirt, find someone local who does bulk stuff. I bought 17 cubic yards of top soil (that's a whole dump truck) from a local place a few years ago that with a $50 delivery fee was around $350 total. It would have been over a grand at the local big box. I was somewhere around $0.65 a cubic foot and it was a lot better dirt than the garbage that comes in plastic bags.

You don't need as much as I got. Assuming you're putting a foot of dirt in your beds you need 4 2/3rd cubic yards or 14 yard feet.

kingfet
Jan 30, 2010
I may be way over thinking this, but this is my first year doing a container garden (condo associations...) and I was wondering how this stuff sounds as a potting soil for Tomatoes, Peppers, and Cucumbers.

quote:

It is composed of composted pine bark & hardwood fines, sand, and polystyrene beads

Does this stuff sound like it would be decent? It seemed awfully sandy to me.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

kingfet posted:

I may be way over thinking this, but this is my first year doing a container garden (condo associations...) and I was wondering how this stuff sounds as a potting soil for Tomatoes, Peppers, and Cucumbers.

Does this stuff sound like it would be decent? It seemed awfully sandy to me.

I'd avoid anything with polystyrene in it like the plague. It does nothing for the plants, does not retain water, it doesn't even help with drainage (the stuff tends to float when you water). I don't know why they put it in soil mixes. I guess it makes pots lighter and easier to move, but I think its more to provide an outlet for that crap to be disposed of cheaply.

kingfet
Jan 30, 2010

Zeta Taskforce posted:

I'd avoid anything with polystyrene in it like the plague. It does nothing for the plants, does not retain water, it doesn't even help with drainage (the stuff tends to float when you water). I don't know why they put it in soil mixes. I guess it makes pots lighter and easier to move, but I think its more to provide an outlet for that crap to be disposed of cheaply.

How did it look besides the polystyrene, its 90% composted pine bark and hardwood fines, 10% everything else

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

When wood breaks down, it's fungus that does it, not bacteria like with vegetable and other plant matter.

It still decomposes, but it's a lot slower (it's pretty much all cellulose) and fungus is rarely good for plants.

I think it would be a better mulch than a soil.

Firequirks
Apr 15, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

When wood breaks down, it's fungus that does it, not bacteria like with vegetable and other plant matter.

It still decomposes, but it's a lot slower (it's pretty much all cellulose) and fungus is rarely good for plants.

I think it would be a better mulch than a soil.

Okay, so this might explain my current situation. My pea plants are all dying. I looked up the symptoms, and I think it's the Fusarium Wilt fungus. From what you're saying here, I think it might have come from the compost. On the day that I did my big garden shopping trip a couple months ago, the garden centre was giving out free bags of compost for large enough purchases. I don't have the guy's info flyer anymore, but I'm fairly certain that it involved wood/tree matter. Perhaps I can now relatively-confidently say the infection came from the compost. (The other possibilities were the bags of potting soil or seed-starting soil.)

I'm worried that the rest of my plants are going to die the same way, now, but I can't stop it. Wait and see. :(

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Status: 40 cherry tomatoes green and on the vine. Peppers just started, tiny little fruits! And my radishes are about 4 days above ground and VERY juicy and healthy in roots and leaf. Carrots germinated too, as did my pink sunflowers and daisies for the front yard.

Total casualties so far: 2 melon plants that went in too early.

Total living plant count not counting carrots and radishes and flowers: 34

Also, something is munching on my squash leaves (pretty heavily) and basil (less so). Dilute dish soap spray to start? I wanna be gentle.

kingfet
Jan 30, 2010
This is my container garden so far. I also stuck a small raspberry seedling in the ground even though my condo association doesn't allow planting anything. I just could not resist Lowes 50% off since this is last week we should be transplanting a lot here. I am also going to add three tomato plants this week.

Cucumbers

Click here for the full 800x534 image.

Peppers

Strawberries

kingfet
Jan 30, 2010
Sorry I am double posting, but upon doing some more reading tonight I have a question. I am following a PDF guide on container gardening from Iowa State, and it says that for cucumbers you can two per pot in a one gallon container. Other places on the internet say one plant in a five gallon container is the minimum. Am I safe with my four in a 5 gallon pot?

The same thing for the peppers, it says I can have two plants in a two gallon container. I have two in a five gallon is this safe?

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe
Oh god, I lost half a pint of blood to the loving mosquitoes while tending my garden this evening! Seriously, my back looks like I have boils or something... I'm not going to sleep well at all tonight.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

kingfet posted:

Sorry I am double posting, but upon doing some more reading tonight I have a question. I am following a PDF guide on container gardening from Iowa State, and it says that for cucumbers you can two per pot in a one gallon container. Other places on the internet say one plant in a five gallon container is the minimum. Am I safe with my four in a 5 gallon pot?

The same thing for the peppers, it says I can have two plants in a two gallon container. I have two in a five gallon is this safe?

Plants have the ability to somewhat modulate their size based on the space and nutrients they have available, meaning you will probably be OK, but those 4 cucumber plants will probably on average be one fourth the size of a plant that had the entire bucket to its self.

What you could do is start with 4, and as they start getting bushy and rubbing up against each other, if one or two of them seem like they are not keeping up, remove them and let the strongest ones take over.

2 in a one gallon container seems tight, unless it is one of those small bushy varieties bred to be in a container, and even then.

nationalism
Feb 25, 2006

"not gay"
One plant will fill up a five gallon bucket just fine. In three or four months you'll be able to turn the bucket over and a solid chunk of rootbound soil will fall out.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)

Anubis posted:

Oh god, I lost half a pint of blood to the loving mosquitoes while tending my garden this evening! Seriously, my back looks like I have boils or something... I'm not going to sleep well at all tonight.

Same here, only I was wearing low-rise jeans. Guess where my bites are!

Pretentious Coats
Jan 18, 2009

Protection from what? Ze German?

Anubis posted:

I usually give myself a few sprays of Off! Mosquito repellent or a few dabs of lavender essential oil on the wrists and neck to keep those fuckers away. They got me behind my right knee yesterday when I was standing in my garden for a few minutes. Now it's swollen up and it hurts when I bend down :( Is there any benefit from mosquitos that's keeping us from nuking these assholes into extinction?

Formication Pants
Dec 29, 2008
Two noob questions for y'all:

1) I got a mini rose as a gift last year. I left town and my roommates forgot to water it for me, rendering it nice and crispy by the time I got back. Now it's putting out new leaves but they are withering before reaching anything close to full size. It starts with the leaf tips turning brown and works its way in from there. Can I do something about this or do I just have to wait and hope it recovers?

2)Is there any chance of growing indoor tomatoes this year if I plant them right now? I'm in the Southwestern US, if that makes a difference.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)

Pretentious Coats posted:

Is there any benefit from mosquitos that's keeping us from nuking these assholes into extinction?

A lot of animals eat them, so they'd be out of a meal. Something that could help is setting up bat homes and stuff like that.

Mosquito fish eat them. Who would have guessed?

aluminumonkey
Jun 19, 2002

Reggie loves tacos
Is it safe to use pressure treated wood for raised garden beds? I am about to go buy wood for my garden and from what I read they changed the chemicals that they used to use back in 2004.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

sparticus posted:

Is it safe to use pressure treated wood for raised garden beds? I am about to go buy wood for my garden and from what I read they changed the chemicals that they used to use back in 2004.

I don't think there's a lot of science on this, so mostly all you'll find is people saying it should be safe and others saying why risk it. I found the price difference between pressure treated wood and green doug fir at Home Depot was small enough that I could just err on the side of caution.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

sparticus posted:

It is perfectly safe. I can try to find it, but I did post a link to a study about the chemicals leaching from treated wood that essentially said there was no danger.]

edit: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3085672&userid=79652#post368838781

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Formication Pants posted:

Two noob questions for y'all:

1) I got a mini rose as a gift last year. I left town and my roommates forgot to water it for me, rendering it nice and crispy by the time I got back. Now it's putting out new leaves but they are withering before reaching anything close to full size. It starts with the leaf tips turning brown and works its way in from there. Can I do something about this or do I just have to wait and hope it recovers?

2)Is there any chance of growing indoor tomatoes this year if I plant them right now? I'm in the Southwestern US, if that makes a difference.

Are you overwatering it in your diligence to bring it back to health? I’ve never grown tomatoes indoors, but since they are indoors, I don’t think there would be such a thing as “too late”.

Pretentious Coats posted:

Is there any benefit from mosquitos that's keeping us from nuking these assholes into extinction?

Probably because it literally would take nukes to make them go extinct. A lot of them.

Zeta Taskforce fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 26, 2010