Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Kevyn posted:

I keep having this problem with iTunes skipping, like it would do if I was running a whole bunch of programs and the computer was getting bogged down. But I have a brand new Core i5 MBP with 4 gigs of RAM, and it happens even if I barely have anything running.

It's happening right now and the only programs I have running are iTunes, Safari, and X-Chat. Activity Monitor doesn't list any significant usage from background processes either. Anyone know why it could be doing this?

This is on Snow Leopard with all the latest updates.

I had this problem too on my Hackintosh. Do you have the same audio skip in Flash videos? Does VLC stop the audio channel when playing a video? For me, the problem was the hard drive, after swapping every other part of the hardware out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ogreboy
Apr 1, 2003
I was having problems getting lyrics for new songs to show up on my iPod, and a bit of Googling showed me that I wasn't the only one.

The fix was to re-download the entire iTunes binary from the main site. The version distributed to most people via software update is 9.1.1 (11) but you can get 9.1.1 (12) from the site. This fixed my issue with lyrics not appearing on my ipod.

Edit: 9.1.1 (12) is the default download, so you don't have to hunt around for a specific build.. just download iTunes.

ogreboy
Apr 1, 2003

Lawen posted:

What OS? GetLyrical has worked pretty well for me on my Macs.

THANK YOU. I was at a loss now that GimmeSomeTune isn't working so well. This program has an inelegant interface, but it does the job! thanks!

IEatBabies
Sep 17, 2004
I am trying to burn some of my audible audiobooks to CD and iTunes seems to be the primary way they recommend to do it. While some versions of Nero are supposed to work, the current version does not and there is no indication that the versions that do work support the newer .aax format, so iTunes it is.

My problem is that memory usage keeps creeping up until iTunes shits itself when it gets to ~1 GB or so and has to be killed. Also, CPU usage during burning seems insane. On a P7450, both cores are maxed out by the iTunes process. I am using version 9.1.1.12 on Windows 7 Home 64 bit with 4 GB of RAM.

Anyone have any ideas?

IEatBabies fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 23, 2010

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Is there an extension or a script for iTunes so that I can "tag" a song to be played next? I read about this feature in Winamp and would love to be able to do something similar.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Eight Is Legend posted:

Is there an extension or a script for iTunes so that I can "tag" a song to be played next? I read about this feature in Winamp and would love to be able to do something similar.
That's what the iTunes DJ feature is for. You can tag songs by right-clicking and selecting "Play Next in iTunes DJ". After it's done playing your tagged songs it will revert to playing random songs from your library or from a specific playlist.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

hirvox posted:

That's what the iTunes DJ feature is for. You can tag songs by right-clicking and selecting "Play Next in iTunes DJ". After it's done playing your tagged songs it will revert to playing random songs from your library or from a specific playlist.

Ah, neat!

Phineas
Jan 18, 2006
Styrofoam Boots
Sorry if I missed this, there is a lot of poo poo here, and it's all great.

I want to make a random playlist that updates itself. Right now the best I can do is set it so that after a song is played or skipped, it leaves the playlist.

I'm trying to make a rediscover playlist, but random. Is there a way to make it change its songs every time I start iTunes or anything like that?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Decide how long is long enough for an old song to be fresh again (for me, 3 months), and set a rule to the effect that "last played is not in the last three months." After a song is played, it vanishes.

If you want to introduce skips, have skipped tracks drop from the list, and then later 'rediscover' the skipped tracks I'm not sure you can do that without resetting the skip counter now and then.

To do this, create another playlist that just has tracks that are three months since last play, select all, and reset the skip counter (if that's possible). Some manual labor involved, but it's probably the simplest way to do it.

edit: actually, if you just want a random playlist that changes every time iTunes is started... just press play and make sure shuffle is on.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 27, 2010

3rd World Dictator
Jun 28, 2006

Ask me about my tasty empanadas
I am considering going the "external with iTunes" route but I have one thing holding me back, was curious how you guys handle it. I get a lot of mp3's off of blogs, and I basically chuck them into a "blog music" folder that then I sort by putting the songs I listen to into a good, ok, or bad folder.

If I let iTunes manage my collection, all of these songs are going to go into rather arbitrary folders, and lose the cohesion of "I dled them off of blogs," right? What's a good way to be able to keep that cohesion? This is true as well of a collection of Kwaito music (South African house, basically) that has very little organization.

Initial thought is that I could tag them all in a certain way... "blog house" or something for the first, "kwaito" for the latter and just go from there. I guess I've never been big on tags, and I'm afraid if I ever use tuneup or whatever the tags will get blasted. I guess I can also just add them all to a playlist, and update that playlist. Seems against the spirit of this all though. Would appreciate thoughts as I have a TON of music, a lot of it unlistened to, and I'd love to use smart playlists to tackle it.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

You could put the blog you nabbed them off in the comments (you can do this for multiple tracks), make a smart playlist that has [comment is blog house] and [play count is "0"]. That's your unlistened list from that particular blog.

When you listen to the music, make sure to rate it. Then you can use smart playlists to make a 'Good Blog' playlist for each / all of the different blogs

Example:

All of the following rules
[rating is greater than ***]

Any of the following rules
[comment contains blog house]
[comment contains blog kwaito]

You could even just do [comment contains blog] - as long as you are consistent when writing your comments

Any use?

3rd World Dictator
Jun 28, 2006

Amphigory posted:

You could put the blog you nabbed them off in the comments (you can do this for multiple tracks), make a smart playlist that has [comment is blog house] and [play count is "0"]. That's your unlistened list from that particular blog.

When you listen to the music, make sure to rate it. Then you can use smart playlists to make a 'Good Blog' playlist for each / all of the different blogs

Example:

All of the following rules
[rating is greater than ***]

Any of the following rules
[comment contains blog house]
[comment contains blog kwaito]

You could even just do [comment contains blog] - as long as you are consistent when writing your comments

Any use?

Excellent. Didn't realize that comments could be used for smart playlists! Think I'm gonna take the plunge in some way shape or form. If I am having iTunes manage my music and I want to add new music, do I just import it to my library, and it will automatically move it and re-folder it on my external? Will it leave the originals?

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

3rd World Dictator posted:

Excellent. Didn't realize that comments could be used for smart playlists! Think I'm gonna take the plunge in some way shape or form. If I am having iTunes manage my music and I want to add new music, do I just import it to my library, and it will automatically move it and re-folder it on my external? Will it leave the originals?

Yes, if you have the 'copy files to my library' option on. It will copy the files into its folder structure and leave the originals where they were. You can make sure that it worked by doing a Get Info on the songs and checking where iTunes thinks the files are.

3rd World Dictator
Jun 28, 2006

So, I decided to take a stab at using iTunes...smart playlists are just too enticing.

So it took forever to import all my music (it looks like I have about 20k songs, 114 days of music...), understandable. But now, when I start iTunes it basically locks up. What could it be doing? It doesn't really say. I think it might be downloading albums...any clues? Anything it has to do across all of the music that could take a while right after it imports?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Anything it has to do across all of the music that could take a while right after it imports?

Downloading album artwork, determining gapless playback information, and scanning the volume levels of your files for the sound check feature are three things I can think of off the top of my head. It shouldn't lock up, but iTunes can be pretty lovely sometimes. Try letting it go overnight.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

This is more an ipod question but is there any trick to arranging audiobooks in a set order other than name? It seems like it's not even sorted by author but by track name no matter what I do with the files.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

spanky the dolphin posted:

This is more an ipod question but is there any trick to arranging audiobooks in a set order other than name? It seems like it's not even sorted by author but by track name no matter what I do with the files.

Yeah, it is pretty wonky. Sorting by album does take precedence over sorting by track name. Most audiobooks, however, use the Title as the Album Name.

My own preference is to give all the books in a particular series Album named after the Series itself: For instance, "Jingo", "The Fifth Elephant", "Night Watch", and "Thud!" all are part of the Discworld: City Watch album.

I then use the Sort Name to put the books in the order I want in the album: In the above case, "City Watch 04", "City Watch 05", "City Watch 06", and "City Watch 07"

I avoid using Track numbers to order them , as track numbers will tend to hide the names of the books from me when navigating on my iPod touch.

On the whole, this method works reasonably well for me, but the fact that Audible Audiobooks will go into their own subfolder regardless of what you do. This is probably only an issue if you have more than one source for Audiobooks.

niggerstink420
Aug 7, 2009

by T. Fine

So, I decided to take a stab at using iTunes...smart playlists are just too enticing.

So it took forever to import all my music (it looks like I have about 20k songs, 114 days of music...), understandable. But now, when I start iTunes it basically locks up. What could it be doing? It doesn't really say. I think it might be downloading albums...any clues? Anything it has to do across all of the music that could take a while right after it imports?

This is common. iTunes HATES large libraries. I have about 20K songs myself, and it beachballs for a while before starting.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
On seemingly all my friends itunes/ipods, the songs pick up where they left off the next time you play them.

Lets say you wanted to switch skip to track 2 in the middle of listening to track 1. The next time track 1 comes up on shuffle (or you manually select it), it will pick up right where it left off in the middle of it :psyduck:

Is there an option somewhere in itunes for this? All i know is, seemingly all my friends ipods AND itunes do this, and mine doesent. My girlfriend has been complaining about this for awhile, it seems to be a fairly new itunes behavior (maybe around when 9.01 came out...?)

They all seem to have ipod touches, too :confused: does anyone know how to fix this?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Get info on the songs (all songs if you want to make sure), and then uncheck the box below:

3rd World Dictator
Jun 28, 2006

A quick q: I clicked and dragged a folder of songs into a normal playlist. It won't let me reorder them...any clue why?? I searched online and it seems like I should be able to drag and drop without problem... any ideas?

Edit: preemptively, shuffle is off and the top left (track number) column is selected.

3rd World Dictator fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jun 3, 2010

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

A quick q: I clicked and dragged a folder of songs into a normal playlist. It won't let me reorder them...any clue why?? I searched online and it seems like I should be able to drag and drop without problem... any ideas?

Edit: preemptively, shuffle is off and the top left (track number) column is selected.

Select the column on the far left, with the playlist number, not the track number. It is the one with the right-pointing arrow and no title. Make sure you're in list mode.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

On seemingly all my friends itunes/ipods, the songs pick up where they left off the next time you play them.

Get Info -> Options -> Remember Playback Position

It's a really helpful option for audiobooks but yeah, you don't want that turned on for songs. Have them make a quick smart playlist that only shows music ("Media Kind" IS "Music" + "Genre" IS NOT "Podcast" + "Genre" IS NOT "Audiobook" -- or something along those lines) then select all and uncheck that. Should fix their problem and not gently caress up their audiobooks/podcasts playback.

Edit: Somehow didn't notice that the big screenshot in the next post already answered that.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Lawen posted:

Get Info -> Options -> Remember Playback Position

It's a really helpful option for audiobooks but yeah, you don't want that turned on for songs. Have them make a quick smart playlist that only shows music ("Media Kind" IS "Music" + "Genre" IS NOT "Podcast" + "Genre" IS NOT "Audiobook" -- or something along those lines) then select all and uncheck that. Should fix their problem and not gently caress up their audiobooks/podcasts playback.

Edit: Somehow didn't notice that the big screenshot in the next post already answered that.

I dont think this was it; since all the songs were already set to "no"

Jock Seppuku
Apr 16, 2008
Is there some smart playlist setup I can use to make a playlist of songs that are the only songs by different artists in my library? i.e. I only have one song by an artist - I want that song in my playlist. I have two songs by a different artist - I don't want those songs.

I've been looking at the different options, and it seems like my best bet would be to go through and put some keyword in the comments section of each song manually. Blegh.

Jock Seppuku fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 10, 2010

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I have my music collection on my PC, and I want my itunes on my Mac to access those files. This is possible, except for one issue; Itunes wants to copy everything over from the PC to the Mac, I don't want it to do this. I want it to stream the music over the wifi network. Is there way to set this up? Failing that, is there a better 3rd party mp3 player app that will do this?

[edit]
Figured it out on my own, there is an option to share files over the network. I like how it reminds you that sharing files over a network is for personal use only. :v:

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 11, 2010

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Is there any way I can put music on my iPod without having to install iTunes? I have absolutely zero reason to have it on my computer when I have Windows Media Player and Audacity, yet it doesn't let you simply drag-and-drop to the iPod like a folder as far as I know.

Is there some free software or something that will let me do this?

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"

PalmTreeFun posted:

Is there any way I can put music on my iPod without having to install iTunes? I have absolutely zero reason to have it on my computer when I have Windows Media Player and Audacity, yet it doesn't let you simply drag-and-drop to the iPod like a folder as far as I know.

Is there some free software or something that will let me do this?

Most other media players will have some sort of integration with Ipods. Try foobar or Winamp.

You can also give this program a try. I've never used it, but it's the top search for this subject. http://www.mgtek.com/dopisp/

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
This is really annoying. I just got a new laptop and moved my music on there. Plugged in the ipod and it half-assed the library deletion, so now there's like 40 songs on my ipod. Even better, is whenever I plug in the ipod now, it hangs up itunes and totally breaks the program. Is there software for the ipod that I'm missing somewhere?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Have you tried restoring your iPod? It's in iTunes, when you select your iPod in the library pane, on the summary page.

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.
e: I'm blind.

Robo-Pope fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jun 12, 2010

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Is there a way to delete unauthorized music from iTunes? I have a friend whose Ex copied a bunch of music from his iPod to her PC. Now it's showing up as unauthorized. Is there a way to just delete those songs without having to click on them one at a time and find out its not authorized?

She doesn't care about ditching the DRM and keeping them.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

One option: Find one of the unauthorized songs, note the "Date Added", and create a Smart Playlist containing all songs whose Date Added is within, say, thirty minutes of that date and time.

Depending on what she was doing at the time, it may still grab some false positives, but assuming all the iPod songs were copied at the same time, it should grab them all.

If you can't make a Smart Playlist based on that, you could try making that column visible and sorting the music list by that column, instead.

Once you've got them all together, you can mass-delete them.

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

Anyone know where iTunes gets it's version number on iTunes? All of my music is on my Windows PC, and unfortunately, I need to use 9.2 to put my music back on it (I'm using iOS 4 GM). Problem is, iOS 4 requires 9.2 and I want to trick iTunes into thinking it's on 9.2 when, really it isn't.

toybux
Feb 15, 2002

fuck you
i'm a quarterback
Cross posting this from the iPod Touch megathread, because I think this might be more of an iTunes issue than iPod issue. I copied a couple MP3 podcasts onto my 2G iPod Touch to check out this show, turned out I didn't like it, just went ahead and deleted the files on both the iPod and my computer. Now every time I sync my iPod, two copies of the two episodes show up on the iPod in the podcasts section. I can't figure out how to stop this. It is a mild annoyance, but a repeated mild annoyance gets old quickly. Any hints for stopping this?

Maelstrm
Jun 21, 2004
Triskaidekaphobic
Environment: iTunes 9.1.1.12 on Vista, iPhone 3GS 3.1.2 Jailbroken

Issue: All my goddamn Audiobook suddenly went missing from my iPod and now I can't sync them across from iTunes. The iTunes sync menu pretends they don't exist, even though iTunes shows at the same time that they do:

Click here for the full 700x1001 image.

Happened after the iPhone started playing a song oddly (it kicked me out of a track and the play icon flashed a few times).

I've temporarily switched it to manually load tracks and I've manually copied a bunch of stuff on there, but this is a bit of a pain and I'd like to fix it - preferably without restoring it / restoring from a backup, since it's jailbroken and also because the backup probably has the same issue too since I've synced recently.

Hopeful pleading: Has anyone seen this before? Any suggestions?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

If the playlists contain nothing but Audiobooks that iTunes recognizes as Audiobooks, deciding whether or not to Sync them to your iPhone is now under the "Books" tab on your iPhone management panel.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

I have my music collection on my PC, and I want my itunes on my Mac to access those files. This is possible, except for one issue; Itunes wants to copy everything over from the PC to the Mac, I don't want it to do this. I want it to stream the music over the wifi network. Is there way to set this up? Failing that, is there a better 3rd party mp3 player app that will do this?

[edit]
Figured it out on my own, there is an option to share files over the network. I like how it reminds you that sharing files over a network is for personal use only. :v:
That, and turn "Copy Files to iTunes Music Folder when adding to Library" off on the Mac.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
Anyone upgraded to the new version of iTunes and using podcasts? I'd like to find out if the new version fixes the issue where it never remembers where you stopped listening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Anyone know if I can import iTunes U files from one library to another? I want to download all the WWDC sessions in HD on campus because at home I'm limited to 60gb/month. I can take my laptop to the office and download, but is there any way to get those movies into my iTunes on my desktop?