Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Grez posted:

It's not the amount of debt that counts it's the profit/losses made.

what is stopping them making some super limited edition diamond encrusted replica shirt and selling it to a proxy for millions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Just like watching Brazil

Xabi posted:

You've developed a smug, cuntish behaviour yourself and that's just because of a bag of money. I'm not sure what's worst, but a neutral might chime in with his/her view.

I can't hear you over the sound of us spending another 100m this summer :smug:

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Jollzwhin posted:

I can't hear you over the sound of us spending another 100m this summer :smug:

...and finishing 5th again.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

As a United fan who hates all of you but probably comes down on Jollzwhin's side most of the time when it comes to arguments about City's money, I have to say Xabi and c0burn are right here. It's a letter from a Liverpool fan and previous owner to Liverpool fans, of course it's going to talk up their love of the club and what they feel it deserves. I can't see anything objectionable in that letter whatsoever, and though I know little about Moores the culture of having owners with lots of money who don't actually support the club is tragic and doing English football no favours whatsoever. United haven't been owned by someone who genuinely supports the club in my lifetime and ultimately that's brought us to where we are now - successful at the cost of stability, all in the name of money rather than football.

There's a lot of unfair criticism levelled at City just because they're doing the only thing they can to compete and I don't think that's acceptable, but frankly any football fan should feel ashamed reading that letter knowing that it's happening right across the country and nobody is doing anything to stop it.

Scikar fucked around with this message at 14:32 on May 26, 2010

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Scikar posted:

There's a lot of unfair criticism levelled at City just because they're doing the only thing they can to compete and I don't think that's acceptable, but frankly any football fan should feel ashamed reading that letter knowing that it's happening right across the country and nobody is doing anything to stop it.

No, you are right. Certainly my position has always been that I disagree in general with the vast spending in the top flight, however since it is the state of the game I'd rather be at the top than the bottom. I remember Pearce and the Wardle era and I'd rather not go back to it thanks.

I'm generally as smug as possible about our financial situation because I know how much it irritates people on here.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Grez posted:

You're right of course, but I think my general point still stands in that the financial people at big clubs will find a way around it.

partipo
Sep 24, 2005
participaction?

Robert Patrick posted:

I liked this bit

Think of it as like Catalonia vs everywhere in Spain that isn't Catalonia.

I kind of appreciate that they're there, jabbing at the rest of Canada. Canada has this insufferable smugness about it simply because it's not America whose foundation is kind of shaky.

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

GravityDaemon posted:

You're right of course, but I think my general point still stands in that the financial people at big clubs will find a way around it.

Yes, but I think it's going to be hard to go "well our mysterious sponsor really wanted that corporate box and spent 400m on it". If it pushes clubs even a bit towards financial stability it is a good thing.

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

partipo posted:

Canada has this insufferable smugness about it simply because it's not America

Seems pretty reasonable to me :confused:

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Jollzwhin posted:

Yes, but I think it's going to be hard to go "well our mysterious sponsor really wanted that corporate box and spent 400m on it". If it pushes clubs even a bit towards financial stability it is a good thing.

I agree, Im just being pessimistic about it. I have little faith in the owners of most big teams in every European country.

partipo
Sep 24, 2005
participaction?

Jollzwhin posted:

Seems pretty reasonable to me :confused:

It just gets very frustrating because there seems to be this air of 'We're the best' that goes around, regardless of what the actual circumstances are.

While I appreciate my semi-public health care, my Westminster parliamentary system, and my Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, it gets very trying to hear about how much of a world-class club Toronto FC are, how much of a global city Toronto is, and how our public transit is apparently so good.

It's just my little gripes, I guess.

edit: gently caress, just stupid complaints that come from people living anywhere.

partipo fucked around with this message at 15:31 on May 26, 2010

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I can't say whether Moores is genuinely sorry about the consequences or not. However, it is irritating in that he responds to the criticism of the lack of a background check on Hicks & Gillett's track record with sports teams by blaming the Rothschilds and Price Waterhouse Coopers when he should know that the financial sector's definition of "sound" and "real money" are completely different from what those terms mean for football clubs and footall fans. Plus, he took Gillett's word on the financial state of Hicks and that was sufficient? While he might not be an Abramovich, I cannot believe he was that incredibly naive or stupid either.

There's also something incredibly annoying about anyone who says "I don't feel the need to justify myself," and then goes on for the next couple of paragraphs to do just that.

Anyway, whatever he says is really academic at this point since Hicks and Gillett have displayed, at best, an apathy towards how they are perceived by the public. I don't see how this will accelerate the sale that the club desperately needs. I do think administration is inevitable as the banks don't seem to have the appetite to force a sale.

By the way, a friend of mine in London Business School attended a talk by a representative of the Glazers. Apparently, they were very reluctant to say anything about their own enterprise, but kept using Liverpool as an example of how hard it is to make a football club sustainable and successful.

EDIT: For extra outrage!

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 26, 2010

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

And in related news...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/liverpool/article7136659.ece

quote:

RBS is losing patience with pair’s inflated asking price

Tom Hicks and George Gillett Jr are holding out for an offer of at least £600 million for Liverpool, but have yet to find a serious buyer more than a month after putting the club on the market.

The Times has learnt that while that is the price tag set by the American owners, Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS), the club’s lender, values Liverpool at closer to £400 million and may put pressure on the pair to lower their demands to secure a sale.

RBS declined to comment, but sources close to the bank said that frustration with the unpopular Americans is growing.

Liverpool’s £290 million loan from RBS and Wachovia, the American bank, formally expires in July, which ordinarily would have precipitated a debt crisis at the club. But Hicks and Gillett gained an informal agreement with lenders last month to get an extension on the loan in return for a promise that they would sell up.

The banks granted Liverpool a non-binding assurance that cash will continue to be available next season. The promise was essential because Martin Broughton, the club’s recently appointed chairman, had to appear before the Premier League to give a commitment that they would be able to fulfil their fixtures.

Accounts published by the club a fortnight ago disclosed the extent of Liverpool’s financial malaise. As of July 31 last year, the club’s total debts were £472.5 million — Kop Holdings, the company that owns Liverpool, is responsible for £351 million — and they are paying £40.1 million interest on their bank loans.

KPMG, the club’s auditor, expressed a “material uncertainty” about Liverpool’s ability to continue as a going concern, the second year running it has made that assessment of the club’s finances.

RBS is expected to bankroll Liverpool long enough for the Americans to find a buyer. But while it is not in RBS’s commercial interest to make Hicks and Gillett forced sellers of the club, the bank’s patience is not infinite and it is likely to start to apply pressure on the Americans to cut the price if no credible bidder has appeared by the start of next season.

Broughton, who is facing down the unions over strike action in his role as chairman of British Airways, has said that he will stay on at Liverpool only until the club are sold. He has already told The Times that he expected a sale to go through “within a matter of months”.

The market valuation of Liverpool is about £350 million, lower even than what RBS believes the club are worth.

Do people perceive the Times known as a pro-Liverpool newspaper? They seem to have given more thoughtful coverage to Benitez and Liverpool than any other paper besides the Echo.

Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me

TyChan posted:

And in related news...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/liverpool/article7136659.ece

Do people perceive the Times known as a pro-Liverpool newspaper? They seem to have given more thoughtful coverage to Benitez and Liverpool than any other paper besides the Echo.

overcompensation for The Sun by a Murdoch stablemate

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Grez posted:

The obvious way round this for me is simply for said owners to start sponsoring their own shirts for a crazy fee.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

partipo posted:

Think of it as like Catalonia vs everywhere in Spain that isn't Catalonia.

I kind of appreciate that they're there, jabbing at the rest of Canada. Canada has this insufferable smugness about it simply because it's not America whose foundation is kind of shaky.
oh I can definitely see the Montreal-Barcelona comparison, but I wasn't aware that Scousers considered themselves to be "apart" in the same way

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Robert Patrick posted:

oh I can definitely see the Montreal-Barcelona comparison, but I wasn't aware that Scousers considered themselves to be "apart" in the same way

You've never seen the "We're not English, We're Scouse," banners?

I didn't think it was a superiority complex as much as Liverpudlians feeling themselves ignored and derided by the rest of England. It struck me as more of a "you don't like us so we don't like you," type of thing.

brapbrapbrap
Jan 18, 2010

by T. Mascis
The cringeworthy scouse or "Republic of Mancunia" poo poo can in no way be compared to the Catalan situation.

One group is basically a bunch of arrogant, superiority complex bellends, the other...

actually yeah they are pretty similar.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
It's not really comparable though, is it?

brapbrapbrap
Jan 18, 2010

by T. Mascis

Robert Patrick posted:

It's not really comparable though, is it?

Being serious, no it's not comparable at all.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Posting my advance support for Stoke's EUFA Champions League bid in 2011/12 thanks to sound rules put in place by Mr Platini.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

partipo posted:

it gets very trying to hear about how much of a world-class club Toronto FC are

this has literally never happened

the rest of toronto is pretty neat though

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Byolante posted:

Posting my advance support for Stoke's EUFA Champions League bid in 2011/12 thanks to sound rules put in place by Mr Platini.

Won't the new spending rules just entrench the superclubs further? Unless Stoke have an untapped gold mine of overseas fans and sponsoships how can they be expected to grow and maintain success without a significant bit of financial investment and/or risk.

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

MoPZiG posted:

Won't the new spending rules just entrench the superclubs further? Unless Stoke have an untapped gold mine of overseas fans and sponsoships how can they be expected to grow and maintain success without a significant bit of financial investment and/or risk.
Well they are owned by the chap that owns Bet365, I'm sure they've got plenty of cash to spend based on how well goons bets go

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

JingleBells posted:

Well they are owned by the chap that owns Bet365, I'm sure they've got plenty of cash to spend based on how well goons bets go

But he cant spend it unless Stoke's revenue improves. Guess Coates could just charge himself a million quid each time he uses his own directors box.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
^^^ Our revenue doesn't need to improve because we are currently turning a profit.

MoPZiG posted:

Where we stand currently is turning a small profit, with a small (15m) ammount of interest free debt owed to the owner Peter Coates (as JB says he has a stake in BET365 which is pretty much a family company run by his daughter iirc). Coates has repeatedly said the money is there to buy players if we need to but obviously we aren't currently looking like we need to. Since this new rule looks at profit and loss primarily, clubs like City and Chelsea where the owner sunsidises the club to a large degree will fail to qualify if they don't start making changes to the way they work.

Stoke would qualify under these rules purely because the club is trying to stay at a level that won't make them do a pompey/sunderland/leeds.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

JingleBells posted:

Thirteenth Step alone has surely covered a Drogba or Torres purchase.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

MoPZiG posted:

Won't the new spending rules just entrench the superclubs further?

Yes. This is why they are bad.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

TyChan posted:

Their football editor (I think), Tony Evans, is a massive fan. You might have heard him on their football podcast.

ODoyle8D
May 24, 2010
How does Man U have so much debt?!?!?!

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

ODoyle8D posted:

Hi

w00bi
Dec 11, 2004

ODoyle8D posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malcolm_Glazer_ownership_of_Manchester_United

This sums things up quite nicely.

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

quote:

Nike sell around 2m United shirts each year

holy loving poo poo :monocle:

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Honestly that would have been lower than I'd guess.

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Yes. This is why they are bad.

Not bad news if you are Sky though.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Dudley posted:

Honestly that would have been lower than I'd guess.

Me too. I wonder what the figure is if you consider the amount of fakes knocking around Asia.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/united-say-they-will-meet-new-uefa-spending-criteria-1983730.html

quote:

Manchester United insist they will pass Uefa's new "financial fair play" test, which is set to become part of European football's rules today.

Under the regulations, clubs in European competition will only be allowed to spend what they earn – although some leeway will be given for the first six years of the scheme. Clubs will also still be permitted to have large debts, but only if they can service the interest payments as part of their overall spending.

United claim they would pass the test, despite payments of £45m annually to service interest on the owners' £507m bond scheme. A club spokesman said: "We support the financial fair play measures. We are confident that we pass them and that we will continue to do so."

The new scheme will come into effect in 2012, although some early flexibility is afforded. Initially, clubs must not return losses of more than €45m (£38m) for the 2012-15 period. After 2015, clubs are given a leeway of €30m (£26m) for three-year losses after which it will be reduced further.

I havent looked a great deal into the new Financial fair play system though its obviously going to start getting more and more press over the next 12 months, does anyone have an idiots guide to it?

Couch
May 16, 2004

COME ON TOT!
I just want to see a list of clubs and what they need to do to pass the new rules.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
Ive looked up a bit bon it to find more

The Guardian says

quote:

Uefa will also seek to prevent owners bypassing the rules by means such as sponsorship. All deals will be market-tested for fair value, a move that might be noted at City, who this week announced a deal with the Abu Dhabi Tourism Authority.

Which would mean the suggestion of just getting owners to put money in through sponsorship wouldnt work.

In a seperate article they also said

quote:

In 2008-09, the most recent year for which the Premier League's 20 clubs' accounts are published, 14 made substantial losses. One other, Blackburn Rovers, made a £3.6m profit but were subsidised with a £5m loan from the club's owners, which will no longer be permitted.

But dont state which 14 clubs, but mention that Fulham, Villa, Sunderland and Liverpool all had big investment from their owners which wouldnt be covered in the financial fair play scheme.

Heres a link to the Uefa sites financial fair play scheme on their website

http://www.uefa.com/uefa/footballfirst/protectingthegame/financialfairplay/index.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Haha, so the FA are somehow going to rule on what they think an "Acceptable" commercial deal is?

Are they also going to mandate a set ticket price? Set shirt price? Set box price? Set price for loving pies?

• Locked thread