Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yadayadayada
Dec 5, 2004

Dodgers Baseball America #1 Embarrassment Prospect

Holland Oats posted:

If the police set up an account on careerbuilder and used it to bust scammers, would that be considered entrapment?

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Mr Gentleman posted:

so I am a little mixed up: is there a civil equivalent to witness tampering charges? how does it work if you tamper with witnesses in a civil case? I think most statutes ostensibly cover tampering with witnesses in both civil and criminal cases, but the statutes themselves are criminal

Contempt of court. Or if you want to file an action for damages, look at the tort of spoliation of evidence. Also determine whether your state has a statute that makes the violation of criminal statutes actionable for damages.

Lancelot posted:

I'm writing a paper on international bank transfers. I'm a New Zealand student, but I'm trying to canvass the US and the EU in this essay. I'm having a bit of trouble working out what the US conflict of law rules are. Do you guys use the same rules for inter-state and international conflicts? Do you have any legislation for jurisdictional stuff that would help me out?

Interstate and international conflict of laws are completely different and very complicated. It is difficult to generalize, but most interstate conflict questions start by looking at the conflict of law statute of the state where the the complaining party resides, compared against the conflict of law statute of the state of the other party, and factoring in which state has the most significant relationship to the dispute. International conflict of laws is a subject of some international treaties, I think.

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.

mrtoodles posted:

OMG a question that is easy due to my current line of work.

It's a mixed question of law and fact.

Thanks! You're cool and stuff.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Defleshed posted:

No I get that, but why would he write a letter about it knowing it was conceivable that he would end up having to hear the case?

Maybe he wanted to make sure the appellate judges knew the real deal because the record was getting developed in such a way that made the police conduct seem more constitutional than it really was. Still an iffy move, but probably not unprecedented for a trial judge to say "no, really, don't overturn me this time."

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

reflections on the law review competition

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Solomon Grundy posted:

helpful :words:
So, I don't understand. Don't you actually detest your small(ish?) law job? That's how your posts come across when you're talking about your lot in life. But you're always here with really insightful advice when it comes to what it means to be a lawyer/the legal field/the actual practice of law. The two don't seem to gel. (e: Maybe I'm conflating knowledge of those aspects with a positive interest in being a laywer?)

I feel like you're the strange and hypothetical creation of a situation where builds character and Phil micowhateverthenameis had a child and it grew to be older than the two of them. You have character's zeal for the job but Phil's detest for [some aspects of] the profession... simultaneously.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.

Red Bean Juice posted:

reflections on the law review competition

beautiful, dude. you have a gift.

The Warp
Nov 7, 2007

Ask me about taking dumps with my girlfriend! And why I'm too poor to change my avatar back!
Hello, I had a question that my girlfriend is kind of embarrassed to ask. She just recently graduated from Berkeley with a dual major, but alas the best Law School she can get accepted to right now is LaVerne or Western State University.

Can anyone help her choose between these two? She feels like it's all kind of pointless and that she should just pick whichever one gives her a slightly better scholarship, but I figured I'd ask you guys, my goony professional heroes :allears:

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

The Warp posted:

Hello, I had a question that my girlfriend is kind of embarrassed to ask. She just recently graduated from Berkeley with a dual major, but alas the best Law School she can get accepted to right now is LaVerne or Western State University.

Can anyone help her choose between these two? She feels like it's all kind of pointless and that she should just pick whichever one gives her a slightly better scholarship, but I figured I'd ask you guys, my goony professional heroes :allears:

(1) What was her GPA?
(2) What was her LSAT?
(3) Is she a minority?

(4) Don't go to law school
(4a) Don't go to LaVerne or Western State. Really. Have you seen the jpg on the first page of the thread? With the burning money? It's like that, but the money burns FOREVER.

(5) What did she major in?
(6) Why does she want to go to law school?
(7) When did she apply to law school this time around?

(8) Tell me about playing battleshits with your gf

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

The Warp posted:

Hello, my name is Green Crayons, and while you don't know me, you can assume I speak for everyone on this thread. Therefore, our response is: Neither. Neither. Neither. Never in a million years. If you girlfriend really wants to be a lawyer, she can wait one more loving year and retake the LSAT so she actually makes it over 160. While most everyone else in this thread will say that 170+ is necessary (to hit the T14), I would say that if it is your calling to be a lawyer then 160 is acceptable because you will be a lawyer even in the shitlaw that you will undoubtedly siphon yourself into (additionally, and for full disclosure, the 160+ requirement makes it acceptable for me to attend law school so that's why I approve the less restrictive LSAT requirement with the addendum that it's your calling in life) - this is, of course, only acceptable if you use your 160+ to go to a T30, but even then with the understanding that you're really just loving playing slots with your goddamn future and you better loving want to be a lawyer because that incredibly boorish joke about blowjobs isn't as funny when you want a job and things are looking bleak (I believe we have at least one resident expert in this area, which I'm sure will pipe up if you continue your insistence; additionally, please check the OP).

You should tell your girlfriend that she probably doesn't know what a real lawyer does, and should take her extra year off to work in a law firm in some degree (legal assistant, paralegal, courier... loving anything) to make sure she knows to some reasonable degree as to what Actual Lawyers do and she really wants to do that for the Rest of Her God Damned Life. Since your girlfriend when to Berkeley for undergrad, I will make the assumption that she is smart. If being a lawyer and arguing over boring-as-poo poo-facts isn't her calling (fun anecdotal case-in-point: my office managing partner (you know, the guy who brings in the loving rain every time he breathes?) just had a month-and-a-half argument with opposing counsel concerning their client's physical address), feel free to call her out on making a major life mistake without any sense of guilt for doing so.

e:fb. Story of my life.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

The Warp posted:

it's all kind of pointless

Quote for emphasis.

As for your question, I know we used to have a chart for exactly this kind of inquiry...

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Angry Midwesterner posted:

Quote for emphasis.

As for your question, I know we used to have a chart for exactly this kind of inquiry...

I don't think you understand exactly where LaVerne and Western State are - TTT doesn't begin to do it justice (still not as bad as Glendale College of Law)

The Warp
Nov 7, 2007

Ask me about taking dumps with my girlfriend! And why I'm too poor to change my avatar back!
Jesus Christ. I've read the opening posts, so I had a very bad feeling about the futility in all of this, but I will show her this again and hopefully we can make the best decision possible. If you have any more advice for her, please give it. She's on the verge of deciding to attend one of these schools. No, she's not dumb at all. I'm sure her LSAT was okay, I think it might be that her GPA was just under 3.5. She's asian. She majored in Rhetoric and Media Studies.

She applied on time, in a very organized manner, she definitely had her poo poo together. She thinks that all of the analysis is a little pointless, because she feels like she's already committed to at least going to one of these schools, and she just wants to know which one.

There was a thread involving battleshits of sorts but it's gone now and come to think of it we sort of wish my avatar had more poop on it. Thank you.

The Warp fucked around with this message at 07:52 on May 27, 2010

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

The Warp posted:

If your girlfriend goes to one of those two law schools, dump her. If she's that dumb she shouldn't procreate. If she's that dumb AND that poor, then you should just loving run. Holy poo poo.

The Warp posted:

No, she's not dumb at all.

While she's pretty dumb for even considering one of those law schools, she's not irreparably dumb because she may just be starstruck by the prospect of going to law school. If she actually decides to go, however, then she is in fact a giant loving moron.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Incredulous Red posted:

I don't think you understand exactly where LaVerne and Western State are - TTT doesn't begin to do it justice (still not as bad as Glendale College of Law)

Hmm...

Glendale College of Bullshit posted:

Q. Does Glendale plan on seeking ABA accreditation?

No. State Bar accreditation standards are rigorous while, to the benefit of students, they also permit Glendale to maintain a meaningful level of institutional autonomy, accessibility, and affordability.

Q. Are credits from Glendale transferable to an ABA law school?

Only an ABA law school can answer this question, however, transfers rarely occur between any law schools. Stability is so critical to law school success that transferring is not recommended.

Q. How do Glendale’s graduates perform on the California Bar Exam?

Academically successful students have an 80% chance of passing the bar the first time.

There is a direct correlation between academic performance in law school and a student’s statistical likelihood of passing the Bar. At Glendale, the minimum cumulative gpa required to earn a JD is 70. (wtf does this even mean?) Students considered academically successful for purposes of the 80% first-time pass rate typically graduate with a cumulative gpa of 74 or higher.

Q. What are employment prospects with a JD from a State Bar Accredited law school?

Since the 1970’s, over 20,000 men and women have earned Juris Doctor degrees from State Bar Accredited law schools. Graduates have distinguished themselves as judges, court commissioners, government attorneys, legal aid lawyers, partners in firms of all sizes, and solo practitioners. Graduates have also used their legal education to enter or enrich their careers in other fields including banking, law enforcement, real estate, health care, education and public service.

Bookmark and Share

Also, for The Warp: Not to rain on the parade any more than it's being rained on (and more likely tomorrow), but the fact she went to Berkeley also means very little if anything. Her 3.5 though is decent and if she can get a 165 she might be able to go to Davis assuming she's white. Actually you should probably figure out (and share with us) where she wants to go and also where you guys want to live in the future, that'll help.

EDIT: Woops, misread the part where she's Asian, but that's the same thing as white to law schools. You need to hammer home the point she is NOT OBLIGATED TO GO TO THOSE lovely SCHOOLS.

sigmachiev fucked around with this message at 09:12 on May 27, 2010

The Warp
Nov 7, 2007

sigmachiev:

She's Chinese, and I'm not sure what her LSAT was. She doesn't like her options as far as Law School is concerned, because she's not dumb, but she's hoping she can transfer a notch up after the first year or so. She's the kind of girl that likes to make a plan and stick with it, and make the best of it, so I'm hoping we can figure something out.

Where we'll end up living in the future is too volatile of a variable to even try and gauge right now. I'm a reservist and college student considering taking on active duty to jump into a medical program so there's no telling where I'll be going, and she doesn't consider where she lives to be as important as the education she receives, so in fact we don't really give a gently caress and our priorities won't let us anyway.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

The Warp posted:

Jesus Christ. I've read the opening posts, so I had a very bad feeling about the futility in all of this, but I will show her this again and hopefully we can make the best decision possible. If you have any more advice for her, please give it. She's on the verge of deciding to attend one of these schools. No, she's not dumb at all. I'm sure her LSAT was okay, I think it might be that her GPA was just under 3.5. She's asian. She majored in Rhetoric and Media Studies.

She applied on time, in a very organized manner, she definitely had her poo poo together. She thinks that all of the analysis is a little pointless, because she feels like she's already committed to at least going to one of these schools, and she just wants to know which one.
All gooniness aside, I'm assuming you and your girlfriend have some sort of special connection where you actually care about her and her future. I would have a serious conversation where the two of you talk about your futures and you explain to her that 1. the overall job economy is poo poo 2. the legal economy is lagging behind the general economy and so is especially poo poo 3. the California economy is in a prolonged lovely economic cycle and so is exceptionally especially poo poo therefore 4. she needs to attend at the very least a T1 school (honestly, it needs to be a T-50 if she is a die-hard I MUST BE A LAWYER; and, even then, if she must be a lawyer one must ask why can't she get into a T-30?), and, even then, a T-14 school at the lowest price possible. Honestly, I can empathize with having some sort of life plan where you need to be a lawyer by X-age (which is why I'm being dumb and going to a T-30 with my sub-170 LSAT), but I"m assuming your gal isn't 27 (being a new, 30+ y/o lawyer seems a bit of a waste to me, but that's just because I'm prejudicial to age I guess). She can, should and needs to retake the LSAT if she actually wants to be a lawyer... hell, even if she's older than 27.

quote:

She's Chinese, and I'm not sure what her LSAT was. She doesn't like her options as far as Law School is concerned, because she's not dumb, but she's hoping she can transfer a notch up after the first year or so. She's the kind of girl that likes to make a plan and stick with it, and make the best of it, so I'm hoping we can figure something out.
Are you a troll or did the transfer portion of the OP just fall into oblivion? Going into law school, you have to assume you will not be transferring. If you're planning on transferring, wave that goodbye. Don't factor that into your plans. Sure, it might happen, but only if you're a special snowflake (you aren't) and you'll only transfer to an actually good school if you're a super rare special snowflake that can't be found in the red or blue editions of pokemon (you definitely aren't). In other words, it's better to take an extra year off, retake the LSAT, enjoy life, get 170+ after studying your rear end off (a precursor to law school, I'm sure), and then continue on.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

The Warp posted:

sigmachiev:

Godspeed on your own stuff that sounds pretty epic.

Back to your GF. Look I'm just going to preface this again by saying this is a terrible loving idea to go to either one but if she is going to kowtow you then here is something to consider: you mentioned LaVerne and Western State as her choices. I looked into it and saw that LaVerne is provisionally accredited only, and has been in this position since 2006. It's 2010, and it should be fully accredited by now, so I'd be concerned about that. Western State happens to be fully ABA approved which theoretically means transferring is possible, but even as someone doing the transfer thing myself I don't want to encourage this at all as any sort of viable plan. It's 99% based on exam grades which if you have followed this thread at all you know that getting As in law school is pretty much a mystery even to people who get them.

Now, why I bring this up is key to your concern about the future and where you'll be: if she goes to LaVerne over Western State, there is a very real possibility she will be landlocked in California because of bar requirements. So it's not just "aw shucks I made a mistake in going to this school because the economy sucks and I can't find a job," it's "aw shucks I made a mistake in going to this school because I can't even try outside of the state of California."

EDIT: I realize that might read as some sort of endorsement of Western State but just to clarify myself one more time she should not go to either one. Should not go to either one.

sigmachiev fucked around with this message at 08:24 on May 27, 2010

The Warp
Nov 7, 2007

Green Crayons:

I am soaking up your advice, and I appreciate the honesty. These are all very good points that I'm going to discuss with her. She's not old at all, she just turned 21. It's just that there's a lot a pressure to move forward, to constantly work towards the plan that's been in place for some time now, and with her family and her expecting to do this now, it's difficult to change the course of events. I'm worried about her and I want her to make the best strategic decision she possibly can. I just fear that right now some of this truth can be a little embittering, but I do not devalue it.

No, I've seen the chart and I've read the subsequent portions of the OP, but it's as you suspect, and she's absolutely sure that she can make that top cut and move on up to something like Davis. I have faith in her abilities and her tenacity, and I know that her family is going to do all that they can to facilitate her success, as will I, but I also take very seriously the fact that poo poo happens and that there's an element of luck involved with making grades sometimes, and that this is a difficult course of action to plan. I get what you're saying 100%, I just really wish that I had had this conversation with you guys long ago, when these plans didn't rest so heavy and seem so concrete.

Sigma:

This is excellent information, and a great deciding factor if we must decide between these two. Western State would seem a clear choice, but still, I just have got to find a loving way to talk her down from this.

The Warp fucked around with this message at 08:32 on May 27, 2010

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The Warp posted:

She's the kind of girl that likes to make a plan and stick with it, and make the best of it

There is no best of it! Goddamn! The answer is "neither!" If you like this girl at all, do not let her go to either of those law schools, the "best of it" would be moving back in with her parents and hoping that one of them can find her a job I am not exaggerating to you

It's been 3 or 4 weeks and at this point I'm satisfied that starbucks is never going to respond to my application. I also suspect that I am not a lucky dog and will not be interviewing with chipotle

edit: for reference, every time a post like yours comes up, many of us suspect it is a troll because the prospective law student at question is making such a dumb decision that if they'd read any of the words in the OP at all they wouldn't even bother to ask. In other words, law school (especially a bad law school, like the ones your girlfriend is looking at) is such a dumb idea that whenever someone posts in the law school thread about thinking about going to law school we assume they're trolling because nobody could ever be so dumb as to want to go to law school

that's how big of a mistake your girlfriend is trying to make, you really need to do your damndest to talk her out of it (unless you actually are trolling in which case drat me for falling for it again)

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 10:18 on May 27, 2010

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
This should probably be its own thread, but I'd like to hear from you guys first:

So, I am looking for a decent excuse to move the gently caress out of my father's house after not finding a solid full-time job. I got my bachelors in linguistics from ucla 8 months ago. I found this paralegal program offered by ucla extension, and am thinking about signing up for it in 2011 - if and only if the economy is still hosed. UCLA Paralegal Program

I already know most of everyone in this thread loathes paralegals, and the "profession" in general if you can even call it one. But, what about this paticular program? It requires a bachelors, has an admission test, is 32 units long, and lasts about 5 months. The program also offers a lifetime job placement service. The program does not seem nearly as shady as some of the other poo poo ive seen from some CC's offering "Paralegal" degrees after 3 years (wtf?). I've heard nothing but good things from friends who have taken UCLA extension classes. It "seems" like a good option. Paralegals in CA must be ABA approved, so there is no way around working in a law office as a paralegal without a cert, unless grandfathered in.

I'd like to go to law school, but that would be a horrible decision if I loving hate law. I want to know more about law in general. In the future, I will have to deal with estate/tax poo poo along with any other stuff that comes up. I would love to know how to proceed in those kinds of situations, and have some idea of what is going on when hiring/working/dealing with an attorney. This program seems to be a great opportunity to see if I would enjoy be able to get through law school, and would want to make a career out of it. And, I would get to learn a bunch of stuff about a system I have no knowledge about.

Right now, it's either this, shooting brown people in Afghanistan, or spending the rest of my life making coffee at $9/h. Or, maybe ill grow some balls and decide to go into massive debt for grad school in a field I don't care much about anymore.

Would taking this program be a horrible decision?

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Green Crayons posted:

So, I don't understand. Don't you actually detest your small(ish?) law job? That's how your posts come across when you're talking about your lot in life. But you're always here with really insightful advice when it comes to what it means to be a lawyer/the legal field/the actual practice of law. The two don't seem to gel. (e: Maybe I'm conflating knowledge of those aspects with a positive interest in being a laywer?)

I feel like you're the strange and hypothetical creation of a situation where builds character and Phil micowhateverthenameis had a child and it grew to be older than the two of them. You have character's zeal for the job but Phil's detest for [some aspects of] the profession... simultaneously.

There are parts of being a lawyer I enjoy. I like the intellectual challenge, research, writing, solving puzzles, etc. Now that I am a few years in and can manage my time relatively well, I enjoy the flexibility. If I need to work from home while I wait for the plumber to show up, I usually can.

But I hate the business of law, tracking time, trying to find clients, billing, collecting on the bills, paying overhead, arguing with partners, etc. I also don't really like the social work of dealing with clients' emotional needs. Losing cases really sucks, too.

Now 12 years in practice, with a family to support, I have accepted that this is my profession and I try to make the best of it. I have a comfortable life, but am by no means rich. I was hoping to do better financially, but who doesn't.

So it is a mixed bag. On bad days you'll hear me chirping.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

The Warp posted:

and she doesn't consider where she lives to be as important as the education she receives

If you let her go she won't be getting an education, just a piece of paper from somewhere that isn't accredited (provisional doesn't count) and a shitload of debt.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

Ainsley McTree posted:

There is no best of it! Goddamn! The answer is "neither!" If you like this girl at all, do not let her go to either of those law schools, the "best of it" would be moving back in with her parents and hoping that one of them can find her a job I am not exaggerating to you

It's been 3 or 4 weeks and at this point I'm satisfied that starbucks is never going to respond to my application. I also suspect that I am not a lucky dog and will not be interviewing with chipotle

edit: for reference, every time a post like yours comes up, many of us suspect it is a troll because the prospective law student at question is making such a dumb decision that if they'd read any of the words in the OP at all they wouldn't even bother to ask. In other words, law school (especially a bad law school, like the ones your girlfriend is looking at) is such a dumb idea that whenever someone posts in the law school thread about thinking about going to law school we assume they're trolling because nobody could ever be so dumb as to want to go to law school

that's how big of a mistake your girlfriend is trying to make, you really need to do your damndest to talk her out of it (unless you actually are trolling in which case drat me for falling for it again)

Ainsley don't take this the wrong way but you are a grim and terrible portent of my own bleak future

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

The Warp posted:

No, I've seen the chart and I've read the subsequent portions of the OP, but it's as you suspect, and she's absolutely sure that she can make that top cut and move on up to something like Davis. I have faith in her abilities and her tenacity, and I know that her family is going to do all that they can to facilitate her success, as will I, but I also take very seriously the fact that poo poo happens and that there's an element of luck involved with making grades sometimes, and that this is a difficult course of action to plan. I get what you're saying 100%, I just really wish that I had had this conversation with you guys long ago, when these plans didn't rest so heavy and seem so concrete.

There's an elephant in the room and I'll point at it right here.

If she's not making the top cut at Berkeley and she's not making the top cut at the LSAT, what makes her think she's going to be top cut at law school? Retake the LSAT.

YOU DO NOT WANT TO GO TO LAW SCHOOL IN CALIFORNIA UNLESS IT IS CALLED STANFORD, BERKELEY, USC OR UCLA.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

The Warp posted:

I'm sure her LSAT was okay, I think it might be that her GPA was just under 3.5.
If her LSAT were okay she would have gotten into a school that's actually accredited. She bombed it, OK?

Also, if she's that bad at tests that she couldn't get a good enough LSAT to get into an accredited school with a 3.5, I would have serious concerns that she would ever be able to pass the California bar exam.

e: You really can't comprehend the magnitude of the error she would be making. You would be far better off just setting fire to the $150k or whatever and having her get a poo poo job. Actually let's just do the whole cost+opportunity cost thing, and call it ~$240k. She can find a $30k a year job, right? That's better than she will be able to do out of shithole like the schools she got into.

e2: You're probably trolling, but if not, I'm sorry to be this harsh, but seriously, this is pure idiocy.

gvibes fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 27, 2010

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

The Warp posted:

She's Chinese, and I'm not sure what her LSAT was.

It must have been pretty bloody awful, and she needs to retake it. I got into Indiana University Bloomington for free with a 3.5 GPA and a 164 LSAT, and that resulted in a great job. To get 164 you literally just need to spend a couple of hours the day before doing sample tests. She can do this, and not go to some previously unheard of mystery school out in the savage western marches of America.

Going to law school to learn is a terrible idea, too. There is no education there, only three years pissed up the wall between pointless classes. All you get is a piece of paper that allows you to finally do the job you could've done with a highschool diploma and an internship. If your girl goes to those tttoilet schools, she won't even be doing the job, either; she'll just be qualified to do it. Her only hope will be to teleport into an alternate universe where people aren't prestige whoring wankers who see a school name like Berkely and assume the student is worthy (or, more to the point, see your woman's school name and assume she is worthless).

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
so how is it having a retarded girlfriend?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

billion dollar bitch posted:

so how is it having a retarded girlfriend?

Maybe she just has a slanted view of the situation.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

The Warp posted:

Green Crayons:

I am soaking up your advice, and I appreciate the honesty. These are all very good points that I'm going to discuss with her. She's not old at all, she just turned 21. It's just that there's a lot a pressure to move forward, to constantly work towards the plan that's been in place for some time now, and with her family and her expecting to do this now, it's difficult to change the course of events. I'm worried about her and I want her to make the best strategic decision she possibly can. I just fear that right now some of this truth can be a little embittering, but I do not devalue it.

She just turned 21? She needs to calm the gently caress down and wait. She's only 21. She has plenty of time to do take the LSAT over repeatedly until she gets a good score. So what if she has to work at a poo poo job for a few years while she's doing this? I started law school at 26. There were people in my class in their 30s. Her life certainly is not over if she doesn't go this year.

She should not rely on transferring to a better school after her first year. That is an absolutely atrocious idea. She might actually get to school and find out that she's not actually good at law, or not good enough to transfer into the school of her choice, and now she's stuck at a lovely law school. She should at least go to a school that she likes and is happy with if she is not able to transfer into the school of her choice. Otherwise, she will be miserable, and so will you. Law school takes a serious toll on relationships. Her first year, she could potentially be spending over 100 hours a week just studying. It's extremely stressful.

Anyway, is there anybody else fighting right now with their financial aid office over summer student loans? I was supposed to get mine last week, and now they're telling me that it might not be until next week. Meanwhile, I'm broke, and have rent and bills to pay.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.

CaptainScraps posted:

Maybe she just has a slanted view of the situation.

I wouldn't call her view slanted, just narrow.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

I wouldn't call her view slanted, just narrow.

She's going to put up a lot of armor in trying to resist the truth but I think The Warp can put a few chinks in it.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
You went a long way for that one.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Jesus I had a 2.8 and a mid 160's and I got into a T1.

Just another sign that something isn't entirely right with your gf.

Take the active duty job, and get out now while you still can.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

You went a long way for that one.

Yeah, I had to railroad it in.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
i suppose it was a long march, but you won in the end

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

i suppose it was a long march, but you won in the end

I just had to orient myself.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
One more thing Warp about transferring just to further define why this is no kind of plan for your GF: At a Tier 3 or 4, whatever those schools are (they're not T2 is all I know), there is no chance with T14 (unless you're #1 and go to Georgetown or publish something and s the right d), you need to be pretty much the top 2% for UCLA/USC, and need to be top 10% for T1s like Hasting and Davis and top 15-20% for USD, Pepperdine, Loyola. And you'd get a majority of people in this thread who think those latter schools are still a bad idea.

quotison
Dec 29, 2005

don't hit your head

Lykourgos posted:

It must have been pretty bloody awful, and she needs to retake it. I got into Indiana University Bloomington for free with a 3.5 GPA and a 164 LSAT, and that resulted in a great job. To get 164 you literally just need to spend a couple of hours the day before doing sample tests. She can do this, and not go to some previously unheard of mystery school out in the savage western marches of America.

To get a 164 you have to be in the 90th percentile. So no, not everyone can get a 164 or better.

Retaking the LSAT until you get a good score really isn't going to happen for most people, at least not enough to get into good schools. Maybe this guy's girlfriend will be able to go from barely accredited to T3, but there's no T1 in sight for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
The LSAT is an extremely learnable test. You can go from average to 90th percentile with enough effort. But the word is effort. Sitting passive in Kaplan won't do it. You have to study the structure of the exam and take lots of practice tests and review them once you're through.