Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Blitz7x posted:

What the hell? I was sprinting on some railroad tracks on my horse and it looked like he tripped over a plank and died. He wasn't shot and I wasn't pushing him THAT hard.

Game owns

Did he get bitten by a snake? You trip and fall over if that happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Do I have to activate trains or something? I've never used one and I'm trying to get the Snidely Whiplash "put a girl on the train tracks" trophy. I've been waiting by the tracks for like 5 minutes fighting off coyotes and nothing has appeared.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Now that I know horses act differently, time to wait until my horse starts being a dick again so I can put on my bandanna and dead eye it in the face or dick. Or both.

The rear end in a top hat always runs past me, then gets just outside of my prompt threshold and trots along about as fast as I can sprint.

(Still haven't figured out the cruelty to animals stat in multiplayer)

BFL1989
Oct 21, 2008

err posted:

Do we ever find out what happens to Bonnie? Last time we seen her she was pretty: :(

On the red dead wikia (not 100% reliable but I believe this) it says that after the game is complete, you can hear NPCs around McFarlane's ranch talking about how Bonnie finally found a husband.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Captain Charisma posted:

Do I have to activate trains or something? I've never used one and I'm trying to get the Snidely Whiplash "put a girl on the train tracks" trophy. I've been waiting by the tracks for like 5 minutes fighting off coyotes and nothing has appeared.

No you don't have to do anything, they're just slow. It's 1910 after all! If you are near tracks (or maybe its only if your near a station) and you check your map you should be able to see where the train is - it's a little red icon - and from that you can tell how long it'll be till the train comes.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I'm in the small military encampment near the Love is an Opiate stranger and the finale of Aztec Gold and I ramped my Bounty level up on the roof of the safehouse there.

I jumped off the roof entirely planning on landing on the ground, instead I landed ONTO my horse and INTO the saddle. Had no idea you could do that until just that moment.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I was going for a bounty but ended up doing a hideout along the way, which made the bounty dissapear. Can I still do it at a later time?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Davincie posted:

I was going for a bounty but ended up doing a hideout along the way, which made the bounty dissapear. Can I still do it at a later time?

Bounties sort of "expire", but they are considered random things anyway (ie: they're not fully scripted), so you can just do a different bounty later.

SiCk
Jul 4, 2003

My name's SiCk, and I'm the Biggest Idiot Ever!

Captain Charisma posted:

i found the easiest way was to get them on your horse and then find a train, and run ahead of it a good bit, do your business, and then get outta the way

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Is there a sure way to get a ringer in Horse Shoes? I hate that game with a passion, at least with dice and poker I feel less cheated.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
Doing 2nd rickett mission was trying to take cover behind a crate rickett was already behind but their was plenty of room. Didn't work so I tried crouching and wriggling behind the crate hit cover butto again and teleported about 100 feet in the air above the cave falling to my death that was cool...

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Well, i'm stumped as to why i don't have 100% as i have:

57 completed missions;
20 bounty locations 8/8/4;
94 Map locations;
5 rare weapons;
9 outfits;
5 jobs done;
13 homes/savepoints owned;
7 gang hideouts done;
6 mingames won;
All of the challenges done;
18 strangers met/done;

Yet i'm only on 99.5%.

Another forum i've read mentions that the "i know you" stranger doesnt count as one of the strangers, but i still have 18 listed in my stats anyway. Do i need to have 19 listed there?

fromagex
Oct 11, 2006
So, anyone have this happen? I beat the game completely. Saw the end credits and whatnot. I did not get the 100 point achievement for the next to last mission but did get the one for the avenging I did before the credits. I have no save point to return to and am pretty miffed overall. Is there anything i can do to trigger it happening?

Also, it says I only have done 56 missions, but I know for certain I've done them all.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Liar's Dice is such horseshit

E: OK now I am 100% convinced the computer cheats at this

E2: This is loving retarded. It's exact number of die and then all of the sudden OH I'M SORRY I MEANT AT LEAST!!! YOU LOSE human being

Nut Bunnies fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 29, 2010

Link43130
Apr 13, 2009

Kin posted:

Another forum i've read mentions that the "i know you" stranger doesnt count as one of the strangers, but i still have 18 listed in my stats anyway. Do i need to have 19 listed there?

Yes. There are a total of 19 Strangers in the game, and "I Know You" is the only one that doesn't count for 100% completion.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Captain Charisma posted:

You have to trick the third guy into making bad calls to start. Start the thing by saying you have three of something (you will likely have two of something and someone will likely have another one).. The more dice you have and the less they have the better you can lie, and the easier you can whittle them down by calling them out.

So if you start off by saying 3, by the time it gets to the third guy now he has to say like...4 or 5, now he's losing dice. Just keep doing that and try to lie about dice you actually HAVE, never just make poo poo up. The best lies are grounded in truth, remember.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Captain Charisma posted:

Funnily enough, I managed to get that "No Dice" achievement doing Lights Camera Action, my last stranger mission. That guy stunk, and it was my 2nd time playing Liar's Dice, too :v:

Velociraper
Apr 6, 2008

by hoodrow trillson
Is there like stuff to level up in this game? Like in San Andreas where you can get double pistols and poo poo, that is all that is keeping me from purchasing this game pretty much

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Mexcillent posted:

- I can't shoot pinkertons.

I was really disappointed with this as well. gently caress the po leece pinkertons.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Kin posted:

Well, i'm stumped as to why i don't have 100% as i have:

57 completed missions;
20 bounty locations 8/8/4;
94 Map locations;
5 rare weapons;
9 outfits;
5 jobs done;
13 homes/savepoints owned;
7 gang hideouts done;
6 mingames won;
All of the challenges done;
18 strangers met/done;

Yet i'm only on 99.5%.

Are you on PS3 or 360? Only thing I can think of is that you have 7 hideouts listed when there are 8 (on the ps3, Solomon's Folly is a ps3 exclusive hideout)

If you still have trouble, check my OP and I have a link to a 100% guide and a link to the social club website that has a 100% section.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Captain Charisma posted:

E2: This is loving retarded. It's exact number of die and then all of the sudden OH I'M SORRY I MEANT AT LEAST!!! YOU LOSE human being

You don't seem to understand the rules fully. When someone bids, they say there are at least that many dice, when you say something is spot on, you're saying that it's exactly right. Also if you bid 2 or 3 sixes from the get go, that forces them to bid 3 or 4 of something, and they'll usually get caught lying, unless someone got a good yahtzee roll or something. The thing to remember is that they have to bid a higher dice face or a higher number of any dice. This means you can force them into situations they can't win because they won't call you out on something like a few sixes when you still have 5 die.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Velociraper posted:

Is there like stuff to level up in this game? Like in San Andreas where you can get double pistols and poo poo, that is all that is keeping me from purchasing this game pretty much

Yes and no. There are different ranks of Deadeye, which you get for progressing throughout the story. There are items you can get which provide passive bonuses, which you get for doing certain things. There are challenges that provide bonuses for completing them. There are outfits that provide passive bonuses. When you say "level up" I think of it as improving your character, and everything I mentioned are ways of improving your character.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Brightman posted:

You don't seem to understand the rules fully. When someone bids, they say there are at least that many dice, when you say something is spot on, you're saying that it's exactly right. Also if you bid 2 or 3 sixes from the get go, that forces them to bid 3 or 4 of something, and they'll usually get caught lying, unless someone got a good yahtzee roll or something. The thing to remember is that they have to bid a higher dice face or a higher number of any dice. This means you can force them into situations they can't win because they won't call you out on something like a few sixes when you still have 5 die.

This doesn't make any sense, though. When I bet on something, I get punished because it wasn't exact. When I call bullshit, they win because "Oh, heh, you thought they bid EXACTLY 4? They bid AT LEAST 4. Cough one up, cocksucker." It doesn't make any loving sense.

Velociraper
Apr 6, 2008

by hoodrow trillson

ShowTime posted:

Yes and no. There are different ranks of Deadeye, which you get for progressing throughout the story. There are items you can get which provide passive bonuses, which you get for doing certain things. There are challenges that provide bonuses for completing them. There are outfits that provide passive bonuses. When you say "level up" I think of it as improving your character, and everything I mentioned are ways of improving your character.

Yeah that's cool I just want to do the poo poo where you don't do any of the main quests and dick around getting bonuses and poo poo until you can just walk through the story head shotting everyone etc.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Captain Charisma posted:

This doesn't make any sense, though. When I bet on something, I get punished because it wasn't exact. When I call bullshit, they win because "Oh, heh, you thought they bid EXACTLY 4? They bid AT LEAST 4. Cough one up, cocksucker." It doesn't make any loving sense.

Are you sure you're paying attention to what's going on? If, for example, you bid that there are 4 sixes, someone calls your bluff, and there are actually 5 sixes on the table, you should be ok. You don't need to be exact when you bid, you just need to bid that there at least that many dice on the table. If you think you're losing even though there were more dice on the table than your bid, I don't think you're paying attention because I'm 100% sure the game doesn't work like that.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Ainsley McTree posted:

Are you sure you're paying attention to what's going on? If, for example, you bid that there are 4 sixes, someone calls your bluff, and there are actually 5 sixes on the table, you should be ok. You don't need to be exact when you bid, you just need to bid that there at least that many dice on the table.

Well I'm sure that works for you and I'm happy for you but I literally just bet those same numbers and lost a die because I was bluffing.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Captain Charisma posted:

But nobody ever bids exactly anything, it's always "at least" when someone bids. The only time "exactly" comes into play is when somebody calls "spot on" which means they think there are indeed exactly that many on the table.

Captain Charisma posted:

Well I'm sure that works for you and I'm happy for you but I literally just bet those same numbers and lost a die because I was bluffing.

So how many sixes were there?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Captain Charisma posted:

Then either your game is glitched or you're remembering incorrectly because the game doesn't work like that, I promise you. Maybe you pressed the wrong button and accidentally called a bluff instead of making a bid? I don't know what to tell you, all I can say is that I've played Liar's Dice in this game quite a bit and that has never ever happened to me.

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 29, 2010

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Endgame Spoilers
Oh man... regarding the "Remember My Family" Stranger mission... did anyone else, filled with righteous anger, kill Ross's wife and brother? I had hoped that doing so would have brought up some extra dialogue when Jack finally confronted him.

Teach that sum-bitch the meaning of suffering!

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Captain Charisma posted:

Are you pressing triangle/Y and saying spot on? Cause that's what it sounds like. You should hit x/a and bid unless you're sure it's exact. You can either say what they said was exact, call their bluff, or make your own bid.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I restarted the game and it worked properly :) Thanks for telling me I was crazy/it was bugged

Holy Cow
Dec 8, 2006

Blind Sally posted:

Endgame Spoilers
Oh man... regarding the "Remember My Family" Stranger mission... did anyone else, filled with righteous anger, kill Ross's wife and brother? I had hoped that doing so would have brought up some extra dialogue when Jack finally confronted him.

Teach that sum-bitch the meaning of suffering!

I think pretty much everyone did that. Can't see why you wouldn't.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Holy Cow posted:

I think pretty much everyone did that. Can't see why you wouldn't.
To prove you're a better man.

EDIT: Honestly, Ross is such a sociopath I can't see it really hurting him. There are so many rear end in a top hat villains in this game and he's still the worst.

BobKnob
Jul 23, 2002

Vikings are pirates only cooler. Oh yeah not a furry.
I just started playing the Ballad of Gay Tony after playing this for days. Whenever someone greets me I of course hit the Circle button and throw a wild punch at them. I miss tipping hats.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
People are having problems with Liar's Dice? Better stay away from Tag and Tic-Tac-Toe then.

I think Liar's Dice was made with drinking in mind. There are exactly 0 rules, and the whole premise of the game is based around deciding if someone is lying or not. Lose a die, take a shot/chug.

Holy Cow
Dec 8, 2006
Last few mission spoilers:

Did anyone else think the game was hinting that Bonnie liked the man that walked past the last time you see her? I mean apart from the obvious implication she likes John. Someone mentioned that a farmhand say's she's found a husband, so it kind of makes sense.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ok so, after working on getting a $4000+ bounty on my head in Mexico in about an hour or so worth of play time I decided to save my game and take a break.

Getting back into it I find my bounty has reset to zero.

Anyone know of any sweet spots to hunker down and stick it to the law?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I was curious to know how much money I actually accumulated with inflation.

I have $12725 dollars right now. That roughly equals $289351 of today. Not a bad fortune John is bringing home. Definitely easier to make money in this game than the last two GTAs put together.

Differently online inflation calculators put it different numbers with a ~10,000 dollar difference. Most only go as far as 1913. Still, quite a pretty penny for some bounty work and general corpse picking.

ydaetskcoR
Apr 29, 2008

Jimbot posted:

I was curious to know how much money I actually accumulated with inflation.

I have $12725 dollars right now. That roughly equals $289351 of today. Not a bad fortune John is bringing home. Definitely easier to make money in this game than the last two GTAs put together.

Differently online inflation calculators put it different numbers with a ~10,000 dollar difference. Most only go as far as 1913. Still, quite a pretty penny for some bounty work and general corpse picking.

Except GTA4's story missions alone will leave you with ~$600k?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Whew, finished LEGEND OF THE WEST (feels like there should be a Flapjack-esque chorus when I say that.) Survivalist 10 was a lot easier than I was expecting. It doesn't really take that long to get two of everything.

• Locked thread