Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

prussian advisor posted:

Are you working yourself up to an attorney position? How long do you suppose that will take if so?

It's a possibility, and one that I am certainly considering. I'm supposed to meet with the chief counsel sometime soon to discuss it. From what I understand it would require at least a full year in my current position.

More than anything, I can tell you that I never want to leave government employment. Sure, the money isn't as good, but leaving every day at 4:30 and knowing that you will never work a weekend in your life is priceless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jove
Jun 18, 2004

He doesn't come to us...we go to him...BOW DOWN, SLAVE.
Help me dear goons! I just got my financial aid package back from HLS. Turns out I'll be owing roughly 125K after three years.

Assuming I find myself square in the median at the end of 1L, is it still worth it?

I mean, on the one hand, HLS. On the other, don't go no jobs die alone. Eh?

I have about a month until I sign the promissory notes.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

HiddenReplaced posted:

Fun Fact: The only students who say "Ivy League law school" are the ones that go to Cornell.

Not true, Penn is also notorious for doing this when they aren't clarifying that "no, I don't mean Penn State."

newberstein
Jul 17, 2005
really....that bad
So a few pages back I asked about how much of an effect knowing the dean in a non-related department would help my chances at a T14. The general consensus was that it wouldn't really make a difference but I found out today that he got promoted to Vice President. How much more of an impact am I looking at?

Millennial
Feb 5, 2006

What is the most esoteric practice area? I am thinking tax appellate advocacy?

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

newberstein posted:

So a few pages back I asked about how much of an effect knowing the dean in a non-related department would help my chances at a T14. The general consensus was that it wouldn't really make a difference but I found out today that he got promoted to Vice President. How much more of an impact am I looking at?

He's going to know better than any of us would, go ask him.

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER
today someone told me "you should go back to school, the worst lawyer is richer than the richest normal person, you know"

it made me so angry

i mean i still sucked their dick but I was so pissed

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Hey it could be true, they're only talking about one lawyer after all.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
Anyone here familiar with FINRA/NYSE arbitration? My supervisor sent me the procedural code to read before I start and I have a few questions (email/pm/chat).

Also any advice specific to interning for in-house counsel? Generally speaking, I'm a little worried about my writing, particularly whether I can crank it out in a timely fashion (I always took forever on our LRW assignments). Any general advice appreciated. I'm sure its come up numerous times in the thread given the time of the year but I figure its better than talking about URMs, splitters, and DGNJDA.

Also, can we bring back work-attire-chat? I didn't notice anyone wearing a suit during my interviews, will I be fine not bringing a jacket?

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.

Jove posted:

Help me dear goons! I just got my financial aid package back from HLS. Turns out I'll be owing roughly 125K after three years.

Assuming I find myself square in the median at the end of 1L, is it still worth it?

As a guy paying sticker for columbia....

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Jove posted:

125K tuition alone or 125K counting living expenses?

I would go...and study the foreign language of your choice in your spare time. If the legal thing doesn't pan out, they can't garnish your wages when you're in Singapore :coal:

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

prussian advisor posted:

Not true, Penn is also notorious for doing this when they aren't clarifying that "no, I don't mean Penn State."

I've never actually met anyone from Penn Law. To me it doesn't really exist. I have interacted with someone from every T14, be it a student or an attorney, but I have not once, EVER, met ANYONE from Penn Law.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Someone made money from cyber law, a WHOLE FIFTEEN HUNDRED DOLLARS.

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/10/05/29/2241211/How-To-Take-a-Big-Vendor-To-Small-Claims-and-Win?from=rss

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Millennial posted:

What is the most esoteric practice area? I am thinking tax appellate advocacy?

Admiralty is pretty esoteric. So is labor, if you're not in the midwest or Pennsylvania.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

HiddenReplaced posted:

I've never actually met anyone from Penn Law. To me it doesn't really exist. I have interacted with someone from every T14, be it a student or an attorney, but I have not once, EVER, met ANYONE from Penn Law.

Quit bragging :(

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

HiddenReplaced posted:

I knew someone who went to Penn, and then I never saw him again. Is this law school real? I don't know.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheMadMilkman posted:

So you're sitting at GS-12 right now? I can only imagine how nice that would be right now.

Until January, then GS-13. Also our agency's payscale is like 10k over the DC area payscale.

edit: non-compete up to GS-14 also. possibly best job in the entire federal government. read and weep

edit2: I'm going to hit the statutory salary cap soon though thanks to overtime :(

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 30, 2010

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

I had a dream about having an admiralty law case last night. I think it may have been a portent

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

newberstein posted:

How are they going to know that you know him? Recommendation letter?

Knowing someone who's important at the school can definitely help but there's a big difference between someone saying "Yep, I know that guy, he's swell" in a letter or phone call and him being willing to exert his influence to put some pressure on them to accept you.

There are plenty of people out there in any given year who know a notable alum. Most alums are willing to write a letter for a person but are not willing to exert any pressure until its their kids or relatives. If your numbers are good, and this guy was your professor/employer, maybe they'll give his recommendation a little more weight, but I can't imagine it would make up for subpar grades/LSAT.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Incredulous Red posted:

I had a dream about having an admiralty law case last night. I think it may have been a portent

Tell us more :allears:

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Tell us more :allears:

I think it also involved tornados. Maybe I've found a way to sue God?!?

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

Incredulous Red posted:

90% of the student body at Tulane Law is "probably going into Admiralty."

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

Incredulous Red posted:

I think it also involved tornados. Maybe I've found a way to sue God?!?

Maybe! ( http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/3212596/You-cannot-sue-God...-he-has-no-known-address.html )

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

They don't have alternate service in Nebraska?

newberstein
Jul 17, 2005
really....that bad

HooKars posted:

How are they going to know that you know him? Recommendation letter?

Knowing someone who's important at the school can definitely help but there's a big difference between someone saying "Yep, I know that guy, he's swell" in a letter or phone call and him being willing to exert his influence to put some pressure on them to accept you.

There are plenty of people out there in any given year who know a notable alum. Most alums are willing to write a letter for a person but are not willing to exert any pressure until its their kids or relatives. If your numbers are good, and this guy was your professor/employer, maybe they'll give his recommendation a little more weight, but I can't imagine it would make up for subpar grades/LSAT.

He's my uncle but we are not very close. When I talked to him all he said was to tell him when I send in my application. I thought it would be rude to ask how much influence he has seeing as I don't know him that well which is why I asked here. All I wanted to know was if a VP wanted to, could they push their weight around enough to get anyone in?

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Dude, just hit 170 on the LSAT and then let your Uncle know. You're Mexican, you've got an above average GPA, you'll be fine.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

newberstein posted:

He's my uncle but we are not very close. When I talked to him all he said was to tell him when I send in my application. I thought it would be rude to ask how much influence he has seeing as I don't know him that well which is why I asked here. All I wanted to know was if a VP wanted to, could they push their weight around enough to get anyone in?

Bottom line is you're going to have to put yourself out there and talk shop with the man. Try to take him out to lunch under the guise you want to discuss poo poo, "get a gameplan," whatever tact you think would register with him.

The only anecdotal evidence I can give that I know first hand is that an ex of mine is the granddaughter of some serious (multi-million) donors who were close to the president of the school. She flunked out of her first college and had no problem getting a transfer (the transfer was also a big improvement in rank). She had no business getting in either through a transfer or if she had applied right out of high school based on grades, etc. So perhaps see if your uncle is cool with his boss/the president and try to pull him in.

EDIT: I asked my roommate because his family is pretty well connected and he said he has a friend who got in through a relationship with the president too. I know that doesn't help that much since your uncle is a VP but maybe more reason to make a play to bring the president in if you can.

sigmachiev fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 30, 2010

newberstein
Jul 17, 2005
really....that bad

Green Crayons posted:

Dude, just hit 170 on the LSAT and then let your Uncle know. You're Mexican, you've got an above average GPA, you'll be fine.

I know I shouldn't be worrying this much but I just wanted a little reassurance. I was thinking about taking him out to lunch but wasn't sure if my intentions would be too obvious. "Hey I flew across the country just to chat"

newberstein fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 30, 2010

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Until January, then GS-13. Also our agency's payscale is like 10k over the DC area payscale.

edit: non-compete up to GS-14 also. possibly best job in the entire federal government. read and weep

edit2: I'm going to hit the statutory salary cap soon though thanks to overtime :(

WHY did I shy away from a hard science major?

Pompoon
Apr 30, 2009

newberstein posted:

I know I shouldn't be worrying this much but I just wanted a little reassurance. I was thinking about taking him out to lunch but wasn't sure if my intentions would be too obvious. "Hey I flew across the country just to chat"

Could you go with a "hey I'd like to talk with you about what it's like to go to this school/be a lawyer, want to do lunch and talk about it"?

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

GamingHyena posted:

They don't have alternate service in Nebraska?

Serve at every known church, synagogue, temple, and heathen altar in the state of Nebraska. One of them is bound to be his primary address.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

newberstein posted:

All I wanted to know was if a VP wanted to, could they push their weight around enough to get anyone in?

Yeah, they definitely can, and if you're a minority, they're probably more likely to accept you with a lower gpa/lsat. Is this a school you really want to go to? If you don't know him very well and it's not actually a top choice, I would probably ask your mom or dad if he's the type who would be offended if he threw his weight around and then you turned down an acceptance to go somewhere else.

newberstein
Jul 17, 2005
really....that bad

HooKars posted:

Yeah, they definitely can, and if you're a minority, they're probably more likely to accept you with a lower gpa/lsat. Is this a school you really want to go to? If you don't know him very well and it's not actually a top choice, I would probably ask your mom or dad if he's the type who would be offended if he threw his weight around and then you turned down an acceptance to go somewhere else.

I really want to go there, if I got accepted I wouldn't even think twice.

Grammar Fascist
May 29, 2004
Y-O-U-R, Y-O-U-Apostrophe-R-E... They're as different as night and day. Don't you think that night and day are different? What's wrong with you?

newberstein posted:

I really want to go there, if I got accepted I wouldn't even think twice.
My only caution would be, even assuming that your uncle could throw his weight around to get you admitted, to think about whether your uncle would be willing to do so for you (as opposed to his own child or something) and what he could actually say about you. This advice is more specific to letters of recommendation, but it seems that deans of admission don't like students to rely on tenuous connections to try and impress them... it could be a strike against you, especially if you have a good chance of being admitted on your own. At least at my school, the law school has very little connection to the rest of the university, so I don't think even a VP of the university calling and saying, "My nephew is applying this year; you should let him in" would really do much, unless there are potentially big donations involved.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

newberstein posted:

Pompoon posted:

Could you go with a "hey I'd like to talk with you about what it's like to go to this school/be a lawyer, want to do lunch and talk about it"?
I'm going to have to agree with Pompoon, here. Your intentions would be obvious, but, frankly, that isn't really a bad thing. You've already established that your relationship with your uncle is distanced at best (I'm assuming not because of any animosity, just geographic separation or something as similarly neutral). Offer to take him out to lunch while working in his offer to remind him what the lunch will be about. Just treat it as an (exceptionally friendly) business lunch. A precursor of things that might be, so to speak.

Granted, I think it's odd that you would need to fly across the country to have lunch with your uncle. Don't drop a couple of hundred in airplane fees just to have the chance to take your uncle out to lunch. But if it's easy and you're going to be in the same town as he is for whatever reason, offer to take him out re: his recommendation.

newberstein
Jul 17, 2005
really....that bad

Green Crayons posted:

I'm going to have to agree with Pompoon, here. Your intentions would be obvious, but, frankly, that isn't really a bad thing. You've already established that your relationship with your uncle is distanced at best (I'm assuming not because of any animosity, just geographic separation or something as similarly neutral). Offer to take him out to lunch while working in his offer to remind him what the lunch will be about. Just treat it as an (exceptionally friendly) business lunch. A precursor of things that might be, so to speak.

Granted, I think it's odd that you would need to fly across the country to have lunch with your uncle. Don't drop a couple of hundred in airplane fees just to have the chance to take your uncle out to lunch. But if it's easy and you're going to be in the same town as he is for whatever reason, offer to take him out re: his recommendation.

What I think I'm going to do is set up a campus visit (even though I have already been there) so at least it won't seem like I am coming there just to meet with him.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
http://lawyerist.com/major-flaw-in-law-school-rankings/

74 law schools don't report their employment numbers at-graduation because "9-months later minus 30%" is probably more than they had at graduation.

Jesus loving christ.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
to be fair, a lot of those schools hover around 98-99, or are just plain TTTs. And nobody should go to those schools anyways. Although I think if you're too stupid to get above 155 on the LSAT, you may not be smart enough to realize that TTT is a bad thing.

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY

TheMadMilkman posted:

WHY did I shy away from a hard science major?

Yeah, all this talk about government jobs for patent lawyers, I'm kicking myself for not having a hard science major. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

SWATJester posted:

http://lawyerist.com/major-flaw-in-law-school-rankings/

74 law schools don't report their employment numbers at-graduation because "9-months later minus 30%" is probably more than they had at graduation.

Jesus loving christ.
I will give one argument for that.
Pretty much anyone going into a PD or DA's office will not have a job at graduation. With the exception of some large offices, they won't hire (or even consider) anyone until they pass the bar.
So that would hurt places that send more people into crim law than civil.
Admittedly, I don't know if that would really impact stats that much, except at the highest level like YLS where those people might get clerkships.