Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arclight
Jan 26, 2006

The Berzerker posted:

I tried for like half an hour to get Lobo the wolf to spawn for the final hunter challenge, and that sonofabitch will not pop. Goddamn. I'll try again tomorrow.
I found him a little ways south down the road from the house in Aurora Basin and I didn't even have to use bait. He just showed up as a red blip on my radar as soon as I got close enough. Not sure if that's a firm spawn point for him, but it's probably worth checking out if you didn't swing by there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

While I found the first area's story/characters pretty annoying, I'll admit the Mexico story hits a better stride. Mostly, I'm glad your character is pretty actively disgusted with Abraham Reyes, who himself is an ambiguous enough character I can get behind him. Also, Luisa.

I'm Kind of sad you don't get an option of killing Abraham and letting Luisa lead the rebels.

We'll see how West Elizabeth plays out tomorrow I guess...

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I checked basically all over the place, from Tall Trees up to the tip of the Basin. I also watched a few Youtube videos and followed them exactly, and still nothing. I tried leaving, resting, saving, etc and then coming back, but still no sign. One time there were a few packs of wolves that spawned, and I killed all of them, but still no pop.

I figure if I turn the game off and go back to it tomorrow he'll show up right away.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
So I'm pretty fed up with the game.

I beat it and now I'm just playing to finish up all of the Ambient Challenges/Stranger stuff.

Everytime I get anywhere, with any of them (say pick up 4 or more flowers, collect 3 or more pelts/whatevers), I get bum rushed by a large squad of bad guys who mow me the gently caress down before I can even get my gun out to go into Dead Eye mode, or a pack of 4+ loving bears.

Seriously, I was off my horse picking up a flower (5th of 10), and I hear a bear roar not far off, and it's a pack of 6 of them running at me in a flying V formation, once again, not even enough time to get my gun out before I get knocked over and killed. And then I spawn on the other side of the map.

This has happened 7 or 8 times. It's like the "random difficulty" sky rocketed after completion.

I'm just really fed up and I don't want to play any more. Probably will sell my copy since I can't get anywhere at all with it.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

GhostDog posted:

That's the cheat code for infinite dead-eye.

And if someone doesn't find the cheat for constant drunkenness soon, I'm going to hold some Rockstar employees hostage until they tell me. Anyone with me on this?

YES! I've been skimming this thread and searching on google for other leads and no such luck yet. No doubt by the time i'm bored of the game it'll be discovered :smith:

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

dunkman posted:

So I'm pretty fed up with the game.

I beat it and now I'm just playing to finish up all of the Ambient Challenges/Stranger stuff.

Everytime I get anywhere, with any of them (say pick up 4 or more flowers, collect 3 or more pelts/whatevers), I get bum rushed by a large squad of bad guys who mow me the gently caress down before I can even get my gun out to go into Dead Eye mode, or a pack of 4+ loving bears.

Seriously, I was off my horse picking up a flower (5th of 10), and I hear a bear roar not far off, and it's a pack of 6 of them running at me in a flying V formation, once again, not even enough time to get my gun out before I get knocked over and killed. And then I spawn on the other side of the map.

This has happened 7 or 8 times. It's like the "random difficulty" sky rocketed after completion.

I'm just really fed up and I don't want to play any more. Probably will sell my copy since I can't get anywhere at all with it.

Sorry you decided you disliked the game well after you had already beaten it.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I am finding it infuriating to get US Marshals chasing me. $6000 bounty. Nothing.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Mills posted:

I am finding it infuriating to get US Marshals chasing me. $6000 bounty. Nothing.

Try leaving, losing the wanted level, and going to sleep or just waiting around. The marshals usually need to find you after you lose the Wanted level.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I accidentally got the achievement with a $600 bounty by killing a group of marshals that came after me on a crossroads.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I rode into town, shot up a bunch of people, rode out of town, shot all cops but one, rode out of their circle. About 10 times. Waited around in town a few times too. Marshalls never seemed to stumble on me. Sleeping I did not do though.

D0ct0rAlanGrant
Aug 23, 2007

~My country is a complete embarrassment to world football and they deserve abuse from everyone at all times.~

~Handle your balls? Frenchmen can't resist!~
God I love free roam :allears:

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006
John Marston 4, Cougars 0

:smug:

John Marston at least 20, Wolves 0 (except for killing one of my horses, which explains the amount I have killed so far in a fit of rage).

:black101:

I really love the way Cougars pounce on you/ your horse. The fact they hunt in pairs just makes it loving awesome.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Aren't bears supposed to be solitary creatures? I just got attacked by four at once. Did I stumble in on their picnic or something?

king teh
Jan 30, 2009

by Fistgrrl
Does this game have actual mission variety or is it GTA 4 in the west?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

king teh posted:

It's not like GTA4 at all. The missions are heavily focused on advancing the story, and they are quite varied.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

king teh posted:

There was a distinct GTA 4 flavor to a lot of the missions (ride horse/drive car to mission start while people talk about boring poo poo, then find cover and shoot dudes until all the dudes are dead), I found the side missions/activities a lot more enjoyable than GTA 4 (which I never finished because it got so samey), though admittedly this may be solely due to the setting.

king teh
Jan 30, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Lugubrious posted:

There was a distinct GTA 4 flavor to a lot of the missions (ride horse/drive car to mission start while people talk about boring poo poo, then find cover and shoot dudes until all the dudes are dead)

This is exactly what i am worried about, tell me there are some really cool varietous missions a la san andreas

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

king teh posted:

This is exactly what i am worried about, tell me there are some really cool varietous missions a la san andreas

I will be honest with you, I am having difficulty thinking of any story missions that stand out as anything other than watching a cutscene, riding a horse/stagecoach to the destination (possibly shooting people from back of said horse or stagecoach), then shooting a bunch of guys and then watching another cutscene.

In my opinion it's worth a rent or addition to a Gamefly queue, not really a purchase unless you really really like Westerns (this is me), or really really liked GTA 4. The non-story stuff is enjoyable but dries up quick, and multiplayer is mostly spawning only to have someone snipe you ad infinitum (unless you have friends to play with, but I can still see it getting old quick). Though there is a pack of free co-op missions coming out in a couple weeks, so we'll see how that goes.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

king teh posted:

Well there is the mission two thirds of the way through where you have to break into an old west science lab and steal and old west jetpack (the jets are eagles). But you have to complete old west flight school (strapping hawks to your arms) to get to the third island, and most people find it too hard and give up.

It's the old west dude. Other than shooting people, stealing poo poo, and defending poo poo, what more do you want?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

TheJoker138 posted:

Well there is the mission two thirds of the way through where you have to break into an old west science lab and steal and old west jetpack (the jets are eagles). But you have to complete old west flight school (strapping hawks to your arms) to get to the third island, and most people find it too hard and give up.

It's the old west dude. Other than shooting people, stealing poo poo, and defending poo poo, what more do you want?

Yeah, I was going to post a less creative yet equally sarcastic response. If the idea of riding around a gorgeous recreation of the wild west doesn't get you excited then you're probably not going to enjoy this game. Most missions are some form of a shootout, a standoff, a building/town clearing, or a chase. Like Joker said, it's the wild west, and if doing those things doesn't float your boat then no, there isn't much variety in missions.

VDay fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jun 1, 2010

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

The best fun in this game is just riding around the beautiful areas and looking for poo poo to do. The little stuff is what really sells it. poo poo like treasure hunting and whatnot.

Plus I think its a lot faster to get through than GTA IV.

I kind of wish for a game that looks/feels like this but in a fantasy setting like Morrowind style. If Oblivion had gotten the horse riding and the way the towns/country feels like then that would be heaven for me.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Fists Up posted:

Plus I think its a lot faster to get through than GTA IV.

It was considerably faster, for me. I finished RDR's story at 23 hours, but GTA 4 was at 31 hours and showed no signs of ending, and I got fed up with how boring it had gotten.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
/\/\/\Hell yeah, this is the first Rockstar game I've not only gotten 100% on, but actually WANTED to get 100%

What the hell do you need to do to get a gold rating in a combat mission? I was replaying some short, early missions in an attempt to gold them, but even getting Political Realities in Armadillo down to 3 minutes, 90% accuracy and 4 headshots on expert aim isn't moving me past bronze.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Soonmot posted:

/\/\/\Hell yeah, this is the first Rockstar game I've not only gotten 100% on, but actually WANTED to get 100%

What the hell do you need to do to get a gold rating in a combat mission? I was replaying some short, early missions in an attempt to gold them, but even getting Political Realities in Armadillo down to 3 minutes, 90% accuracy and 4 headshots on expert aim isn't moving me past bronze.

Stuff stacks. Do one where you go through slow, and get 100% accuracy, all headshots. Then do one where you just run through it as fast as you possibly can. Political Realities In Armadillo is the one to do it on. If you can get 100% in under 3 minutes you'll get the gold.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Ah, did not know it stacked. Thanks for the tip.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Soonmot posted:

Ah, did not know it stacked. Thanks for the tip.

Neither did I for a long rear end time. If you go to the Social Club Achievements page though, it has tips on all of the single player ones like that. That was the one for that achievement that helped me through it. Anyone who's having any problems with others should check it out, seemed pretty helpful.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

VDay posted:

Yeah, I was going to post a less creative yet equally sarcastic response. If the idea of riding around a gorgeous recreation of the wild west doesn't get you excited then you're probably not going to enjoy this game. Most missions are some form of a shootout, a standoff, a building/town clearing, or a chase. Like Joker said, it's the wild west, and if doing those things doesn't float your boat then no, there isn't much variety in missions.

Yeah a dude who wants a variety of missions for his ~20 hours of gameplay? Better make sure you own the poo poo out of him.

Snailor Moon
Jun 29, 2006

by mons al-madeen
I loved San Andreas as much as anyone, but most of the missions that tried to be different sucked. That seems to be a GTA trend, for every two cool missions there has to be at least one that sucks.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I'd say if you're not a fan of the GTA series that this is worth a rent, not a buy.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Snailor Moon posted:

I loved San Andreas as much as anyone, but most of the missions that tried to be different sucked. That seems to be a GTA trend, for every two cool missions there has to be at least one that sucks.

Get in position behind the herd.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006
^^^^ Yeah what is it with the herding missions that make me hate them so much? I found them easy but for some reason they just really irritated me.

Ddraig posted:

Aren't bears supposed to be solitary creatures? I just got attacked by four at once. Did I stumble in on their picnic or something?

Same with cougars, I guess if it was just one it might take a bit of the thrill out of it. I mean keeping your gun on one bear is ok but any more than that then poo poo, panic stations. The hunter has become the hunted.. which is awesome.

Snailor Moon
Jun 29, 2006

by mons al-madeen

merk posted:

Get in position behind the herd.

That isn't even remotely as bad as some of the missions in San Andreas. And the good/bad mission ratio is a whole lot better in Red Dead if you ask me.

Blamethrower
Nov 26, 2006

Got 30 kills 0 deaths on Grab the Bag in Tumbleweed. :smug:

There's a cannon on one of the roofs in the middle of the town, the enemy team kept spawning in one place, I kept blowing them up. I completed the challenge "Kill Streak while Near Death" as a few of them tried to kill me. This let my team capture the bag 4 times with no resistance.

Sure it was probably infuriating to be on their team but I was having too much fun.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Snailor Moon posted:

Late game mission spoilers Good work on finding Dutch and taking out him and his gang in one of the most badass shootouts ever. Now you can go home and spend 2 hours doing boring poo poo like herding cattle (you thought we'd spend time programming that mechanic and only force you to do it once? Joke's on you, dipshit!), shooting crows, and driving a stagecoach to deliver some loving corn.

Seems like they forgot to cram all the lovely missions in until the game was almost done then decided "gently caress it let's make them do all the boring missions at once"

Snailor Moon
Jun 29, 2006

by mons al-madeen

Lugubrious posted:

Late game mission spoilers Good work on finding Dutch and taking out him and his gang in one of the most badass shootouts ever. Now you can go home and spend 2 hours doing boring poo poo like herding cattle (you thought we'd spend time programming that mechanic and only force you to do it once? Joke's on you, dipshit!), shooting crows, and driving a stagecoach to deliver some loving corn.

Seems like they forgot to cram all the lovely missions in until the game was almost done then decided "gently caress it let's make them do all the boring missions at once"

I don't disagree, most of that poo poo was boring, but I still feel San Andreas had way more crappy missions. And they weren't just tedious, a lot of them were extremely frustrating.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Holy Cheese posted:

^^^^ Yeah what is it with the herding missions that make me hate them so much? I found them easy but for some reason they just really irritated me.

For me it was Bonnie's drat voice during the first couple of herding missions. At the end of the game, the last herding mission was actually kind of cool. Uncle may be one of the best characters in that game. Also, being able to choose between helping the herd or saving the train was fun.

Snailor Moon posted:

That isn't even remotely as bad as some of the missions in San Andreas. And the good/bad mission ratio is a whole lot better in Red Dead if you ask me.

I never played San Andreas. To those that said this is a "rent" if you don't love the GTA games, I wholly disagree. This game is a definite buy for any gamer.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Snailor Moon posted:

The only lovely things for the missions in Red Dead are the ones where you're forced to trot at a snail's pace with some AI buddy as you make your way over to a specific location. 90% of the loving game is that and sometimes i just want to get a mvoe on you know.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

merk posted:

I never played San Andreas. To those that said this is a "rent" if you don't love the GTA games, I wholly disagree. This game is a definite buy for any gamer.

I got 100% and since I don't care about spending the effort necessary to get platinum, and didn't find multiplayer much to my liking, I am by and large done with this game after about 35 hours. There's nothing left to do, and there's no replay value because everything will be the same in repeated playthroughs. I really wish I had rented it. Don't get me wrong, I loved almost every second of it, but I don't think I'll be playing much at all now that I've seen and done everything.

Though the 10 dollar Gamestop gift card I got for preordering let me get God of War 3 for 10 bucks when it was on sale for 19.99 for a couple hours the other day. That was pretty cool.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

I'm quite easygoing about my expectations from games until they do something really horrible that just ruins it (for example, forced combat in a silent hill game). Many small botherations won't stop me from playing a game, especially if there are good things to balance it. There are a number of things I could complain about in RDR, but I've played it for nearly 40 hours now and I really enjoyed most of it.

The only thing about the game which truly annoyed me was that whenever you end a mission, you're just dumped in the middle of nowhere, far away from the next mission. You should at least have gotten an option like, "Accompany De Santa back to Escalera?" rather than getting abandoned in Torquemada or a train bridge or wherever, usually halfway across the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Kin posted:

The only lovely things for the missions in Red Dead are the ones where you're forced to trot at a snail's pace with some AI buddy as you make your way over to a specific location. 90% of the loving game is that and sometimes i just want to get a mvoe on you know.

But if you got a move on, then you'd miss all the yelling dialogue between John and whomever he is riding with.

• Locked thread