Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

merk posted:

Also, being able to choose between helping the herd or saving the train was fun.

I never played San Andreas. To those that said this is a "rent" if you don't love the GTA games, I wholly disagree. This game is a definite buy for any gamer.

Choosing between? I did both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savetheclocktower
Sep 23, 2004

You wait and see, Mr. Caruthers. I will be president! I'll be the most powerful president in the history of America. And I'm gonna clean up this country!

Lugubrious posted:

Late game mission spoilers
Seems like they forgot to cram all the lovely missions in until the game was almost done then decided "gently caress it let's make them do all the boring missions at once"

That didn't really bother me because it was a plot-informed decision. The point of that, I gather, was a "return to normalcy" period before poo poo got real at the very end. To their credit, it was only ~6 missions. If, instead, I'd had to farm for months before my Day of Reckoning, we'd all be gnashing our teeth in this thread.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

merk posted:

I never played San Andreas. To those that said this is a "rent" if you don't love the GTA games, I wholly disagree. This game is a definite buy for any gamer.

Aside from being very, very pretty, and possibly some excitement about the multiplayer, I cannot think of anything I'd say "oh poo poo how could you not own this game!"

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
any way to figure out how many missions I've done with just one horse to unlock whatever it is people in here keep mentioning? I got my saddler shot out around mission 8 and I'm in Mexico now, but i'm not absolutely 100% sure I've had the same horse the whole time and kind of want to just go back to a saddler :I

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

savetheclocktower posted:

That didn't really bother me because it was a plot-informed decision. The point of that, I gather, was a "return to normalcy" period before poo poo got real at the very end. To their credit, it was only ~6 missions. If, instead, I'd had to farm for months before my Day of Reckoning, we'd all be gnashing our teeth in this thread.

(end game spoilers)I understand the point behind it. That doesn't make it any less jarring to go from the best act of the game to 6 boring-rear end ranching missions that felt hollow anyway because you know they're just setting up for something depressing. Two or three missions at most would be fine to establish the return to normalcy, you don't need that many missions that are just a boring cutscene about how John loves his family and swears he'll never leave followed by a boring horse ride where John tells Jack he's never going to leave again followed by a boring cutscene where John tells Abigail that their old life is over and he's back for good. It got to be even more grating than "Help me find Dutch" "WHAT IF I DON'T"

Still a great game with an engrossing story that only dragged on in one or two places, more than I can say about GTA 4 or any other game you want to compare this to.

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Stuck in the middle with you.
Couple things from the old thread:

Peas and Rice posted:

I bought a pair of the Turtle Beach x41 headphones after seeing someone talk about them in the Just Cause 2 thread (http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/efx4/home.aspx) and this game's sound effects are just as amazing through those as JC2 if not moreso. Not that I'm selling the headphones as much as I'm selling the game's awesome sounds with a great sound system to put them through.

That was me and yes, they are indeed amazing headphones. Go find that waterfall between Tall Trees and McFarlane's Ranch :) The only downside to the headphones is that cougars scare the everloving poo poo out of me when they catch me by surprise. One minute I'm creeping through Tall Trees hunting elk, and the next momentRAWRFUCKSHIT, big scary cat screaming in my ears oh God he's right behind me :gonk:

Also, with all that talk of great western movies, nobody mentioned Appaloosa? gently caress that's a great flick. Ed Harris and Viggo Mortensen make awesome gunslingers, and Jeremy Irons always makes an excellent villain :)

edit:

Methodis posted:

For a discussion on western movies, how does Tombstone not get mentioned? Sure it's a little corny, but it's still awesome.

"Oh i'm sorry Johnny, I forgot you where here. You may go now."

Doc Holliday :smug:.

YES.

"I'm your Huckleberry" :smug:

Such a badass.

Jadz fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jun 1, 2010

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Lugubrious posted:

I got 100% and since I don't care about spending the effort necessary to get platinum, and didn't find multiplayer much to my liking, I am by and large done with this game after about 35 hours. There's nothing left to do, and there's no replay value because everything will be the same in repeated playthroughs. I really wish I had rented it. Don't get me wrong, I loved almost every second of it, but I don't think I'll be playing much at all now that I've seen and done everything.

Though the 10 dollar Gamestop gift card I got for preordering let me get God of War 3 for 10 bucks when it was on sale for 19.99 for a couple hours the other day. That was pretty cool.

Not trying to troll here but what more do you want?

35 hours you played, you loved almost every second of it, it's a sandbox game so loving almost every second you should love just screwing around doing whatever on a second playthrough, but even if you don't for some reason, you 100%'ed the game and played it for 35 hours, how long would you have rented it for? How long does a game have to be for you to want to buy it, 500 or something? 35 hours is a nice chunk of time imo

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006
I just really enjoy the random events that happen, especially when you are hunting. It's never been the same every time for me. Sure some of the story missions could have been done differently but it's the random AI or lack thereof that just amuses me, it was the same with GTA 4. Perhaps I am just easily amused but I don't go flying through the story missions as fast as I can (although dead eye 3 was a hell of a lot better than 2 thanks a lot story missions).

Did anyone else get the feeling that the NPC's were a bit more stiff compared to GTA 4? As in you can't really keep walking into the same person to get them to start a fist fight first, I could do that pretty easily in GTA 4. That is actually one thing I miss. Also less dialogue in general.

Holy Cheese fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jun 1, 2010

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD

Kin posted:

The only lovely things for the missions in Red Dead are the ones where you're forced to trot at a snail's pace with some AI buddy as you make your way over to a specific location. 90% of the loving game is that and sometimes i just want to get a mvoe on you know.

Seriously, this game isn't meant for racing from checkpoint to checkpoint.
Take your time, sit and chill around the campfires and listen to a story, have a drink and play some cards in the saloon or find a nice spot and watch the sunset. It's a beautiful game to look at and loses a lot of its charm when you charge cross-country because that's the direct route to the blue dot on your minimap.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Holy Cheese posted:

Did anyone else get the feeling that the NPC's were a bit more stiff compared to GTA 4? As in you can't really keep walking into the same person to get them to start a fist fight first, I could do that pretty easily in GTA 4. That is actually one thing I miss. Also less dialogue in general.

That was one of the most annoying things in GTA 4 for me. Running down the street accidentally bumping people OH HEY there's about thirty people chasing me trying to kill me for accidentally bumping into them. Then you actually try to fistfight a couple of them but invariably a cop will roll by and try to arrest you. I don't see what you could possibly like about that.

Now RDR you can push people around and play with euphoria and I love it. I'll spend minutes just pushing people around and watching them flop this way and that. Earlier there were three guys at the bar and I managed to make them all fall down and one guy ended up sitting one someone else's back like it was a chair and I laughed and laughed and laughed. It never gets old.

Also think about it this way. John Marston has guns poking out of every goddamn orifice, a bandolier, and scars out the wazoo. I would not gently caress with him regardless of how much he felt like pushing me around, especially if I know of him due to his fame-o-meter. Also he's nice about it.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Holy Cheese posted:

Pushing them down works some of the time, although a good number of ordinary town folks will just run screaming off into the beyond. Fist fighting is one of the few things I think this game did not do real well, since there doesn't seem to be a way to end it aside from shooting the guy.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

teacup posted:

35 hours you played, you loved almost every second of it, it's a sandbox game so loving almost every second you should love just screwing around doing whatever on a second playthrough, but even if you don't for some reason, you 100%'ed the game and played it for 35 hours, how long would you have rented it for? How long does a game have to be for you to want to buy it, 500 or something? 35 hours is a nice chunk of time imo

My post was a response to "To those that said this is a "rent" if you don't love the GTA games, I wholly disagree. This game is a definite buy for any gamer." It really isn't a definite buy. I don't love the GTA games (pretty indifferent to them), and I still feel like I should have rented it first. My big draw was the multiplayer, which after a while of playing, is really not my cup of tea. So I tried the single player, which, while fun, offers no real incentive to play through a second time since there will be literally no changes from the first time.

I really only spent the time to get 100% because I don't have any other games to play at the moment, and I was still having fun doing the challenges/bounties. As soon as I finished them, the fun dried up instantly. It wasn't so much the sandbox element that made me love it, it was having structured goals to work towards in this sandbox environment. Tooling around the sandbox with no real goals in sight sucks the fun out of it for me. I would have been just as happy renting it for 5 days from Blockbuster. Sure I probably wouldn't have gotten 100% but I might have been able to finish the story, which was the most enjoyable part for me anyway.

So really, my post was more of a counterpoint to the "This game is a definite buy," which I found rather disingenuous. It's a definite play to be sure, but unless you enjoy the multiplayer, there's no real reason to play past the end of the story (or once getting 100% if you're so inclined).

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

teacup posted:

I absolutely love RDR, and I sure as hell bought it, but I can definitely see his point. If I had a Gamefly subscription I probably would not have purchased the game. I just can't ever see myself plating through the game again. As much as I love it, the game has very little replay value unless you like the multiplayer, and a ton of people don't.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
RE: GTA:SA's "lovely" missions:

There were certainly a lot of lovely missions, but I don't think most of the "variety" ones were very lovely. Anything involving a plane, yes. The races in the the rural areas, yes. Some of Catalina's missions, yes. But when they got creative, (most of the Torino missions), it was usually awesome.

RDR's missions are very samey, but unlike GTA4, I was fine with it. I mean...you can't really throw a tank or a jetpack into the 1911 West. Plus, the gritty storyline actually works and was decently written, repeated messages aside. RDR never felt like it was holding back or not reaching its potential like GTA4 did the entire game.

Plus, this game feels like what Euphoria was meant for. It was imo kind of a disaster in a setting like Liberty City, with its constricted roads and spaces. Driving blew rear end. Horseriding, vast expanses, and small towns make Euphoria feel like it's living up to what it should be. Same thing goes for Stranger missions, which were awkward and out of place in GTA4, and frankly would be in any GTA.

Nut Bunnies fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jun 1, 2010

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

A shrubbery! posted:

Seriously, this game isn't meant for racing from checkpoint to checkpoint.
Take your time, sit and chill around the campfires and listen to a story, have a drink and play some cards in the saloon or find a nice spot and watch the sunset. It's a beautiful game to look at and loses a lot of its charm when you charge cross-country because that's the direct route to the blue dot on your minimap.

As has been brought up numerous times, when most of the dialogue is just the same rehashed stuff over and over again, i don't particularly care about having to listen to it. There should be the option of riding along with them and having the yellow map point be there for you to say "screw this inane drivel" and ride off to it at an appropriate speed.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I dont understand why people complain about this not having any replay, just about all previous GTAs had no replay other than running around finishing lose ends and randomly killing people. Lets say you pump 35 hours into it and a few hours into multiplayer. That comes to about 1.50 an hour of enjoyment and you can still sell the game to recoup more money.

You sell it for 35 bucks, and it comes to 70 cents an hour of gametime.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
The problem, as with most of Rockstar's offerings, is a profound lack of depth.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I dont understand why people complain about this not having any replay, just about all previous GTAs had no replay other than running around finishing lose ends and randomly killing people. Lets say you pump 35 hours into it and a few hours into multiplayer. That comes to about 1.50 an hour of enjoyment and you can still sell the game to recoup more money.

You sell it for 35 bucks, and it comes to 70 cents an hour of gametime.

I think it's because postgame, in a lot of the GTA games (not 4) there's usually still a whole lot of stuff left to do. There isnt that much in Red Dead so once you finish the story you're left scratching your head on what you could possibly do next. It's worse for those of us who 100% it because, really, lassooing and shooting people gets old pretty quickly.

Like i mentioned a few pages ago, Rockstar need to start getting into the habit of turning their postgames into some kind of Sims like sandbox. This game would have been perfect for buying and building up your ranch and slowly creating a business empire/establishing settlements in the wild west once you'd finished the main storyline. If you could do that in a realtime online setting too then even better.

Crooked Vulture
Mar 26, 2010

transient posted:

You're probably missing a stranger. There are 18 that count towards completion and one that doesn't so if you have 18 listed that's it. For me (and other people) it was Aztec Gold - located in Sidewinder Gulch. I was at 99.5% too, so I'm guessing that's it.

That was exactly it, thanks a ton.

Been having some fun doing the freeroam stuff now. If need another posse member for stuff, my gt is Deacon Blues81.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I just wish to god they'd release a steadier stream of social club challenges. Do they still have Pike's Basin on there?

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

The problem, as with most of Rockstar's offerings, is a profound lack of depth.

I think I know what you mean, it's almost like it wants to be an RPG but still be balls out action when it comes to combat. What the hell, I still really enjoy it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Heh, they seemed to realize this as the story goes on, as you start to encounter more missions where they don't talk during the ride and it just gives you the option to skip to your destination.
I noticed somewhat late in the game, that all the missions where you must ride along with a large group of riders, if you stay at the head of the posse or the tail of the posse, you can talk to different NPCs and get different conversation.

The section where you assault the fort in the snow, I made a point to ride at the head of the line because I was loving sick to death of listening to the G-man being an insulting douche.

Also, ending: is it possible to change the death scene at all, depending on who you shoot at? I thought I put half a clip into the G-man before anybody opened fire, but he seemed unscathed. I would've liked to take him with me since Jack doesn't seem to ever go looking for revenge.

bear is driving! posted:

Well I'm loving done with this game.

I was 1 flower away from rank 10 Survivalist, got jumped by a posse and killed. It respawned me on the other side of the map and all but two flowers were gone out of my inventory and the challenge was reset.

That's a little bit more a loving game breaking bug than I'm willing to put up with.
"Waaaaah I played for two or three hours roaming the wilderness, and never once bothered to sit down and save my progress with my included-for-free autosave/fast-travel item! This game is BROKEN!"

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jun 1, 2010

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Fix that [/spoiler] champ

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

God damnit, Coyote. Thanks.

MC Colon Backslash
Jan 7, 2001

Dealing with it
I found out that if you park your horse directly over your fresh kill you can skip the skinning animation every time. You just get off your horse, press Y twice (once to skin and once to get back on the horse) and you're on your way.

The tricky part is getting used to stopping your horse in the right spot. It took me a while to get the hang of it but now I kill and skin everything in sight.

How many deer or wolves have you spared just because you didnt want to spend forever skinning them? Not anymore!

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I do find this game is suffering a little from uncharted syndrome, that is, several missions put you up against seemingly endless streams of badguys to the point that it severely strains credibility. Particularly in a setting where people cant do things like radioing for backup.

like Running away from the angry mob with the snakeoil salesman. I must have gunned down 40 men. It went on far too long and it felt frigging stupid. Same with the ambush on the boat. Maybe the reasoning for that ambush will get explained better later on, but again, an enormous sea of dead bodies that felt wrong.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Lord Hydronium posted:

Foxes exist in New Austin, they're just hard to spot because they sound exactly like coyotes. You might want to just wait until WE; they're practically impossible not to find up there, and since there are no coyotes, there's no mistaking them too.
No, they do not sound anything alike. It may take your some :effort: to tell the difference but it's pretty striking.

Foxes bark, they usually do it only once at a time, and it's a single-note cry. It's pretty much the only noise they make in the game. http://www.angelfire.com/ar2/thefoxden/call.wav

Coyotes yip, yodel, and occasionally howl. They also keep up the racket when startled or agitated, which foxes tend to not do. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJGv9bWBwYI

Easiest place to find foxes for me was north of Beecher's Hopeand just southeast of Tall Trees. Stay on your horse because there's plenty of bobcats and bear around as well, but if you ride back and forth south of the tracks you can find fox, skunk, and the rare beaver in that area.

ShineDog posted:

I do find this game is suffering a little from uncharted syndrome, that is, several missions put you up against seemingly endless streams of badguys to the point that it severely strains credibility. Particularly in a setting where people cant do things like radioing for backup.

like Running away from the angry mob with the snakeoil salesman. I must have gunned down 40 men. It went on far too long and it felt frigging stupid. Same with the ambush on the boat. Maybe the reasoning for that ambush will get explained better later on, but again, an enormous sea of dead bodies that felt wrong.
The river battle went on for way too long, but it was the only spot where it felt like I was fightring a ludicrous amount of enemies.

All of the escort/chase type missions can be finished easily, with a little judicious deadeye as soon as a group of enemies appear. There was only one escort (the one with the coke fiend guy) where my escortee actually was wounded, because I lost too much speed and some guys spawned ahead of him.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 1, 2010

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

^^^ Username/Post combo for maximum creepiness factor.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

That Awful Nick posted:

^^^ Username/Post combo for maximum creepiness factor.
It's creepy that someone with the name coyote, might know a little something about the animal or have bookmarks to image and sound and video of them?

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you
I wish the Serendipity was a gang hideout. Or Cochinay.

Also, there's a lot of loving whiners in this thread. I wish the hour counting poo poo never caught on, but now it's like the only standard these A.D.D. 90s babies care about.

This game offered so much more than it needed to, and is giving people entire days of fun. I will gladly drop the money to buy it and support the developers (especially with what they went through), and not just rent it because it didn't have enough HOURS of scripted play time.

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

coyo7e posted:

It's creepy that someone with the name coyote, might know a little something about the animal or have bookmarks to image and sound and video of them?

The sounds that coyotes make creep me out. When I was a kid, during the summer, my parents would leave my bedroom window open at night and there was a den of them in the woods near our house, so I had to listen to them howling all night. To this day just the sound of them or mention of them creeps me out.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Fox cries are way, way creepier.

And so is the rest of this angelfire page: http://www.angelfire.com/ar2/thefoxden/sounds.html

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
Hell, I beat the game, got all the trophies but online stuff, then finally bought it off gamefly.

It's just that pleasurable to play.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Sco Dylan posted:

Also, there's a lot of loving whiners in this thread. I wish the hour counting poo poo never caught on, but now it's like the only standard these A.D.D. 90s babies care about.

And I wish that game threads could be used for discussion of opinions regarding said games without anyone who has a dissenting opinion being called names because they pointed out the flaws in the game.

coyo7e posted:

Also, ending: is it possible to change the death scene at all, depending on who you shoot at? I thought I put half a clip into the G-man before anybody opened fire, but he seemed unscathed. I would've liked to take him with me since Jack doesn't seem to ever go looking for revenge.
Go to the train station in Blackwater and talk to the stranger there if you haven't yet.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Awesome thanks. I was looking for new markers on the map and didn't see any. I've been spending way too much time perfecting my ability to identify a raccoon's chitter while I'm riding at a full gallop next to a train, while being chased by wolves.

Stupid hunting challenges. ;)

Dr Geek
Jan 28, 2007

ShineDog posted:

I know what you mean, even West Dickens was like "Where the hell are they all coming from?"

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

coyo7e posted:

Fox cries are way, way creepier.

And so is the rest of this angelfire page: http://www.angelfire.com/ar2/thefoxden/sounds.html

I think there was a bit on British foxes (I honestly am ignorant on how far they spread) that mentioned the fact that 999 gets called a lot because they hear a woman screaming, all it is, is the male trying to get it on. The most exciting thing I have ever seen in England is a badger running away as I happened to put torchlight upon him. I used to see loads of Hedgehogs but most of them get flattened by whatever lorry driver happens to pass through so to speak.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

This game is too shallow, too short and too buggy and doesn't begin to engage even the standard "~10% of neurons" within my giant brain. If you're enjoying it, you're a literal child and you should probably put down the bong and controller to collect your unemployment-check/GED/compressed-air-inhalants and try to get a new start on life where you aren't so obviously a low-brow mouth-breathing mongoloid.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...
I just got to Blackwater. About how much longer do I have (hours-wise) before I finish the story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Lugubrious posted:

And I wish that game threads could be used for discussion of opinions regarding said games without anyone who has a dissenting opinion being called names because they pointed out the flaws in the game.

I remember that there was a thread dedicated for bitching in the GTA4 forum...and the diehard supporters came in and shouted everyone down for bitching and called them faggots with no taste without punishment.

• Locked thread