Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

This game is too shallow, too short and too buggy and doesn't begin to engage even the standard "~10% of neurons" within my giant brain. If you're enjoying it, you're a literal child and you should probably put down the bong and controller to collect your unemployment-check/GED/compressed-air-inhalants and try to get a new start on life where you aren't so obviously a low-brow mouth-breathing mongoloid.

"Oh my goodness! The scenery! These rocks are rendered in absolutely heartbreaking detail!"

"I cried literal tears when Jose Gonzales traveled back in time one hundred and fifty years to play me into the sunset!"

"This game is so good, I just can't believe I can't swim!"

"I disagreed with the moral choices the protagonist was making, even though I was supposedly controlling his fate. My inability to see this as a fundamental flaw in the narrative should tell you I watch most of my movies on TV and read most of my books HA I DON'T READ BOOKS FAG!"

Seriously.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Sco Dylan posted:

I wish the Serendipity was a gang hideout. Or Cochinay.

Also, there's a lot of loving whiners in this thread. I wish the hour counting poo poo never caught on, but now it's like the only standard these A.D.D. 90s babies care about.

This game offered so much more than it needed to, and is giving people entire days of fun. I will gladly drop the money to buy it and support the developers (especially with what they went through), and not just rent it because it didn't have enough HOURS of scripted play time.

And should that selfsame developer present their dick in front of me, I shall take it in my mouth gladly, good sir!

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

This game is too shallow, too short and too buggy and doesn't begin to engage even the standard "~10% of neurons" within my giant brain. If you're enjoying it, you're a literal child and you should probably put down the bong and controller to collect your unemployment-check/GED/compressed-air-inhalants and try to get a new start on life where you aren't so obviously a low-brow mouth-breathing mongoloid.

Calm down there bub, don't want you screaming.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Zero Karizma posted:

I just got to Blackwater. About how much longer do I have (hours-wise) before I finish the story?

Eight or nine hours maybe? I don't remember precisely because it was the best part of the game and felt like it took less time than either of the other areas. Will also change depending on if you finish up the challenges before or after finishing the story.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

There are only 7 WE missions, compared to 20ish for NA and Mexico.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Holy Cheese posted:

Calm down there bub, don't want you screaming.

I won't be called "bub" by someone stupid enough to register the handle "Holy Cheese."

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Cat Machine posted:

There are only 7 WE missions, compared to 20ish for NA and Mexico.
And only 1 or 2 of them are inordinately long trips between two points. But make sure to talk to the army officer on your way to storm the fort, instead of the G-Men. He's way less of a dick.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Well chap I dare say that I disagree with you. Perhaps this could be settled with a gentlemen's duel? *tips hat*

Just got my 100% last night, and to be honest, the only thing that I'm a little disappointed was that there was never a town siege mission. Armadillo was such a perfect little setting, throughout the whole first act I kept expecting one of the Marshall missions to be him running up and saying that the Walton gang will be rolling into to town or something like that.

Cue dramatic music as you, Marshall, and the couple deputies set up on top of the buildings while the shopkeepers close up shop and tumbleweed drifts through the street. I just can't believe that with all the western stuff they crammed into the game, there was not a single mission like this.

Pres
Dec 20, 2005

ever since I could remember I been poppin' mah collar
Is there a metatag for Euro goons? I'm picking this up tonight

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Problems with single-player game:
  • Bonnie has the most annoying voice ever
  • Rockstar forced random things in to be "edgy"
  • Characters repeat themselves 9000 times
  • John Marston threatens to shoot every friendly NPC in every mission for not giving him Bill Williamson immediately
  • Bill Williamson is a boring villain
  • Mexico missions drop you off 15 minutes away from civilization every time
  • Herding cattle

All that said, I still think the game is worth buying. The multiplayer is fantastic, and the story combined with the single-player gamplay is "good enough" to justify playing it through.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

qbert posted:

Sorry you decided you disliked the game well after you had already beaten it.

I love the game, I think it's fantastic and everyone should buy it/play it.

I just think the developer's decision to make playing it unenjoyable after completion is a bad one.

I can't play for 15 minutes trying to do ambient challenges (with $0 bounty) without getting killed by fauna or roves of gangs. It sucks, and it's not fun. 99% of everything before this point was totally awesome.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

merk posted:

• John Marston threatens to shoot every friendly NPC in every mission for not giving him Bill Williamson immediately
  • Herding cattle

All that said, I still think the game is worth buying. The multiplayer is fantastic, and the story combined with the single-player gamplay is "good enough" to justify playing it through.

Bill Williamson is not a villain. He's barely an antagonist, even. Nor is he supposed to be.

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jun 1, 2010

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

der juicen posted:

I quite like Free For All alot, especially gold rush, but gently caress McFarlenes Ranch and everyone grabbing the High Powered Pistol. Ugh.

Lately when I've joined any adversarial games, there is always ONE guy (and only ONE guy) who is a god and just ruins everyone else's day. I'm not really referring to the gun pickup so much as just mentioning that unless you get a full-house for some adversarial Multiplayer, usually the pickins are too slim to get any kills before being dropped by some Demi-god player.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I won't be called "bub" by someone stupid enough to register the handle "Holy Cheese."

Yeah well welcome to my world. Or should I say "EAT CHEESE FASTER".

The wolf respawning thing has me puzzled. I skin the few that attacked me and they kept coming, this was before I got to Mexico. I mean there are so many wolves you can kill, or not in this case.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

merk posted:

Mexico missions drop you off 15 minutes away from civilization every time
A lot of seem to be complaining about this, but what's the big deal? You can just set up camp then fast travel to a town or waypoint of your choosing.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

Cat Machine posted:

A lot of seem to be complaining about this, but what's the big deal? You can just set up camp then fast travel to a town or waypoint of your choosing.

They want a Starbucks at every corner.

Just kidding.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

merk posted:

• Herding cattle

• The majority of the characters you do missions for/with in New Austin are really poorly written, screw you over or waste your time without consequence, and the missions in general don't advance the story at all (Nigel and Seth in particular)
  • The Mexican characters really tread pretty close to racist characture
  • A number of the 'stranger' missions feel really unrewarding, with little payoff or any sense of controling your character or world around you
  • Set aside the gambling minigames, the number of side-jobs are pretty small. Collect bounties, horse breaking, herding, night watch?

Also I think the controls are way too busy, finnicky, and context-dependent.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

I don't know what "fantastic multiplayer" you're enjoying.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

Bill Williamson is not a villain. He's barely an antagonist, even. Nor is he supposed to be.

Really? Go on...

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

DeclaredYuppie posted:

Really? Go on...
It's established early on in the game that John is hunting his gang down because he's been forced to, not because of any kind of antagonistic relationship between himself and Bill/Javier/Dutch.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Crappy Jack posted:

The villains in general are pretty dull and one-dimensional. However, I didn't want to give away anything in my list. I think they had a lot of potential with Dutch that they didn't dive into. They could have definitely played with John's former admiration of Dutch more and tried to make Dutch look like a 'good guy' trying to help the Native Americans more.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Cat Machine posted:

It's established early on in the game that John is hunting his gang down because he's been forced to, not because of any kind of antagonistic relationship between himself and Bill/Javier/Dutch.

...and I think this is a major problem with the game. At no point in the game did I ever hate any of the people John was forced to kill.

Lilac
Dec 8, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Cat Machine posted:

That doesn't stop either of them, except Javier who barely was given any personality, to become comedy villains.

I hosed YOUR WIFE JOHN, AND I'M GONNA FIND YOUR FAMILY AND KILL THEM TOO, BECAUSE I'M A MOUSTACHE TWIRLER.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

DeclaredYuppie posted:

Really? Go on...
He's a speed bump. To quote Marston on multiple occasions, "Stupid, and mean."

merk posted:

...and I think this is a major problem with the game. At no point in the game did I ever hate any of the people John was forced to kill.
Neither did John. :colbert:

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 1, 2010

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Cat Machine posted:

They do have an antagonistic relationship (John wants to capture Bill, Bill does not want to be captured- this puts them at odds), but just fyi not having an antagonistic relationship doesn't make someone not an antagonist.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

merk posted:

To be completely fair, I don't think that John hated any of the people he was supposed to kill.

You're not playing from your point of view, you're playing from his. They were, at one time, his family. He didn't hate Javier (unless I've got my wires crossed - entirely possible), he just had to hunt him down. The only person he really had or should have had a grudge with was Bill for shooting him at Fort Mercer.

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
If all people want is a compelling storyline, they're not going to find it in a GTA game. Rockstar sucks rear end at writing storylines cause all they do is come up with a beginning, an end, and a required length, and then just fill the middle in with tangential bullshit and meaningless side characters. It took effort for me to keep the story/plot in mind in RDR and it has one of the better storylines of the recent R* games, and even then I forgot who "Escuela" was and still don't remember what happened to him or Bill Williamson. If they'd keep a few characters throughout the game and not just have you do five missions at a time for random people, it might track a little better. I thought Dutch and Landon Ricketts were the two strongest characters in the game, and neither was really used to their full potential; there were only like three Ricketts missions and the way the storyline was set up, every time Dutch stopped to talk you just ask yourself "why is John not killing this human being?"

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

merk posted:

Not even de Santa?

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jun 2, 2010

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

merk posted:

Neither did John, so mission accomplished I guess.

edit: beaten

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Pres posted:

Is there a metatag for Euro goons? I'm picking this up tonight

No, but it would be handy. Although i fear it's a little too late in the launch for us to make one as i get the distinct impression that most of us who have had the game for the last 2 weeks are now a little tired of the multi player.

Although i want that last damned achievement for getting to level 50 so a goon posse of 8 would rip through some of those gang hideouts in no time. It's just a shame that every time i jump on with some of you, you're more interested in griefing pubbies which is... boring as gently caress and doesn't really achieve anything.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.

merk posted:

I don't think you're supposed to. The main character doesn't seem to hate them and in fact I think it's pretty clear the real antagonists of the game is the government and civilization. Pretty much everyone in the game who represents progress or the future are complete blithering idiots. The outlaws you are forced to hunt are just sad and/or crazy people who have absolutely no place in the new west or whatever you want to call it.

When I first heard about the game I was really surprised they were setting it in 1910 rather than the 1880s or some other iconic Old West time period, but after playing it I think they made the right decision. Rock Star overblown caricatures work best when trying to make fun of the past, so setting it in the early 20th century made it seem more like a revisionist western than Vice City: Cowboy Edition.

roffle posted:

If all people want is a compelling storyline, they're not going to find it in a GTA game. Rockstar sucks rear end at writing storylines cause all they do is come up with a beginning, an end, and a required length, and then just fill the middle in with tangential bullshit and meaningless side characters.

This is exactly why I liked RDR way more than GTA IV. Westerns lend themselves well to wacky/weird side characters and the genre pretty much popularized the concept of the lone guy traveling around shooting a bunch of people. It's a lot easier to buy a weird and ridiculous NPC when he lives in a shack in the swamp than in a mansion in suburban New Jersey.

Maarek fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 1, 2010

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Is there an easy way to go back and access tutorial instructions from before?

I finally got a chance to play again and was challenged to a duel, my only one since the tutorial. I thought I remember how it worked, pulled left trigger when it said 'draw' and was instantly shot dead. Went back to see how it worked in my journal and couldn't go back that far.

Don't teach me a game skill then not require me to use it for several hours and expect me to remember without instructions. :mad:

transient
Apr 7, 2005

Kin posted:

No, but it would be handy. Although i fear it's a little too late in the launch for us to make one as i get the distinct impression that most of us who have had the game for the last 2 weeks are now a little tired of the multi player.

It's not labeled correctly in the OP, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that WesternEuros is what you're looking for.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

Thanks for that.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

transient posted:

It's not labeled correctly in the OP, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that WesternEuros is what you're looking for.

I think i misread that in the op and thought it was westcoast goons. Nevertheless, what's the login/email for it as it's not listed in the OP?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Peas and Rice posted:

I finally got a chance to play again and was challenged to a duel, my only one since the tutorial. I thought I remember how it worked, pulled left trigger when it said 'draw' and was instantly shot dead.
Did you press RT to uhhhhh... shoot the guy?

polysynth
Dec 12, 2006

rock out

Peas and Rice posted:

Is there an easy way to go back and access tutorial instructions from before?

I finally got a chance to play again and was challenged to a duel, my only one since the tutorial. I thought I remember how it worked, pulled left trigger when it said 'draw' and was instantly shot dead. Went back to see how it worked in my journal and couldn't go back that far.

Don't teach me a game skill then not require me to use it for several hours and expect me to remember without instructions. :mad:

Don't know if you can re access tutorials but all you have to do is hit left trigger when it says duel and then hit right trigger all over your opponents body when the crosshair flashes white.

ydaetskcoR
Apr 29, 2008
I'm personally most excited for the prequel/cross over Red Dead Rising.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

buyable posted:

Don't know if you can re access tutorials but all you have to do is hit left trigger when it says duel and then hit right trigger all over your opponents body when the crosshair flashes white.

Yeah, I looked up on the wiki how to do it afterwards, I was more just lamenting the fact that there's no easy in-game way to go back and access 'how do to X activity' if it's been a while since you've done it. More me bitching about game design than anything else. Bully had the same problem as I remember.

Apart from that tiny thing though this game is so loving amazing. Probably my favorite Rockstar sandbox game after Bully, and it really is a stark contrast to GTA4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Utritum
May 2, 2009
College Slice
I do not know if this has been bought up before, but every time I try to use the "I love a man in uniform" cheat, I get a messages that says: "You cannot enable this cheat during any activity."

I am not currently in any missions or mini-games. What is wrong?

• Locked thread