Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hobo Camp
Aug 8, 2006

No problo, Rob Lowe.
I made a Nutella cheesecake for Memorial Day.

It was the best thing I've ever put in my mouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Hobo Camp posted:

MORE RECIPES

Hobo Camp
Aug 8, 2006

No problo, Rob Lowe.
Absolutely!

New York Style Cheesecake with Nutella Topping

* 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
* 2 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
* 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
* 2 1/2 pounds cream cheese, softened
* 1 1/2 cups sugar
* 1 lemon, zested
* 1 orange, zested
* 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 5 eggs
* 2 egg yolks
* 1/2 cup sour cream
* 1 jar of Nutella

Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Butter the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan. In a mixing bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs, butter and sugar and mix well. Press onto bottom of springform pan and bake until golden, about 8 minutes. Set aside to cool. When completely cooled, butter the sides of the pan.

Increase oven temperature to 500 degrees F.

In a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer, combine cream cheese, sugar, zests and vanilla and beat until light and creamy. Add the flour, then the eggs and yolks 1 at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add the sour cream and mix until smooth. Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake for 12 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 200 degrees F and bake for 1 hour more. Transfer cake to a cooling rack and pour Nutella over the top. Refrigerate before serving.

---

Mine actually took longer than an hour to cook, so this part was kinda tricky. I just kept checking it and when I finally inserted a knife in the middle and it came out with creamy chunks, I turned the oven off and let the cheesecake sit there for a while. You don't want the knife to come out completely clean because then the cheesecake will be dry. I also didn't use a whole lemon and orange zest, just a little bit of each to give it some twang. A lot of people leave the zests out, though.

cassis
Oct 18, 2008

mich posted:

snipped DELICIOUS upside down pineapple cake recipe

I made this on the weekend. It was amazing and and got rave reviews from everyone. I did lose most of the caramel; stupid use of a spring form pan because I was worried about having tall enough sides, so most of the caramel leaked out of the bottom.

I'll have to try it again with a proper pan. The crumb of this cake is to die for.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Since we're sharing cake recipes, I figured I'd repost my family cheesecake recipe here. It's very creamy/custardy, and not at all like a traditional new york cheesecake.

Crust

9 graham crackers
1/3 cup butter
1/4 cup sugar

Crush the crackers (I do it in a zip lock baggie with a rolling pin). Stir with sugar and melted butter until well mixed. Press in to 9 inch springform pan and bake for 10 minutes @ 350. Make sure the crust has cooled completely before pouring in the next step.

Cheesecake layer:

16 oz cream cheese, room temp
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

Cream the cream cheese and sugar well. Add eggs, one at a time until incorporated well. Add vanilla. Pour into cooled crust and bake @ 350 for 20 minutes. Remove and add sour cream layer.

Sour cream
16 oz sour cream
1 tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla

Mix all ingredients well. I pipe it on the top with a ziplock to get it on evenly and then smooth it with an offset spatula.

Put back in oven for 5 more minutes at 350. Cool on the counter for one hour, then refrigerate. This will take a minimum of 6 hours to set up in the fridge, but chilling overnight is preferred. It is a very creamy/custardy cheesecake. The dairy:egg:sugar ratio is just about 4:1:1 (the sugar is a little higher, but cream cheese also has some tartness to offset it).

The strawberry topping was just gilding the lily because i had some nice strawberries in. I made it by macerating the chopped strawberries with a little sugar, then bringing too a simmer in a saucepot (with a little extra water) and thickening with a slurry made from a little of the reserved strawberry juice and corn starch.

frankdiabetes
Jan 2, 2010

glucose tolerance test

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

CHEESECAKE

This sounds really good. Have you ever doubled the filling to make a taller cheesecake? I wonder if it would work or if it would make a huge mess...

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

frankdiabetes posted:

This sounds really good. Have you ever doubled the filling to make a taller cheesecake? I wonder if it would work or if it would make a huge mess...

That recipe is for a 9 inch pan. I have also made it in a 10 1/2 inch pan, and increased everything by 50%. I have all those measurements written down somewhere around here. When I did that I increased the baking time a good amount too. I think I went 28 minutes on the first part, and 10 minutes on the second.

If you're going to double it in a 9 inch pan, I would consider reducing the oven heat by 25 degrees, and of course cooking it a lot longer. It may be tough to judge the doneness though. When properly cooked, this recipe isn't even set up enough to cut until at least 6 hours in the fridge.

SwissArmyWife
Aug 4, 2008

Stop crying, I`m trying to laugh at you!
I made a fairytale cake for my friends 5 year old- its rainbow cake on the inside :)

Be kind, I am new at this.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

SwissArmyWife posted:

I made a fairytale cake for my friends 5 year old- its rainbow cake on the inside :)

Be kind, I am new at this.

That's totally adorable. I can only imagine how surprised the kid will be when she sees the inside! :3

Soshi
Apr 25, 2004
Make a Charisma Check!
I made a cake a little while ago, but didn't really want to post it. It was a castle cake designed by the bride; she was having a themed wedding and wanted a cake to match.

Just a note on the fish cookies: She was preggers, and though that the fish represented her baby.

The problem with the cake is derived from WILTON boxed fondant http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30CF4A-475A-BAC0-5F79E9BD5798B946&fid=D754B442-1E0B-C910-EA00BE2BFDBB9964, the stuff is crap.
The bride handed it to me and said, "USE THIS!", so given the fact that I had one week of notice (last minute cake), I used it. I generally use Marshmallow fondant that I make, -- much nicer -- but given the time limit, I used the box...this stuff was awful. It kept tearing, very brittle. Trying to do a drape was like pulling teeth... painful!

Any thoughts on Wilton, or other pre-made fondants? This was my first and only encounter with a boxed fondant: NEVER AGAIN :psyboom:

Other images of this cake can be seen on my blog (it seems cheep to repost every picture.
http://domesticsugar.blogspot.com

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Though they won't admit it, women were much happier when all they had to do was bake shit and pump out babies.
Pride Month Cupcakes :gay:

Also, I need a flavour consultation:
I got invited to compete in another iron chef like cupcake contest. This month's flavour is blueberries, and it's really hard not to turn to the old favourite (lemon-blueberry). I really want to find a taste that's got some spark to it. Here's my ideas so far:

Individual Blueberry Cheesecakes (a little safe)
Pomegranate-Blueberry cupcakes with a ricotta icing (my favourite thus far)
Lemon-Blueberry-Poppyseed (kinda boring if you ask me)
Coffee Cake with Blueberries and Strudel on top (I'm not so sure about the combo, but I've been told that coffee goes well with blueberries)
???

Any really awesome ideas/recipes? Blueberries aren't as inspiring as some of the other secret ingredents, so I've been left a little blah.

Beichan
Feb 17, 2007

pugs, pugs everywhere

PezMaster posted:

I got invited to compete in another iron chef like cupcake contest. This month's flavour is blueberries, and it's really hard not to turn to the old favourite (lemon-blueberry). I really want to find a taste that's got some spark to it. Here's my ideas so far:

Coffee Cake with Blueberries and Strudel on top (I'm not so sure about the combo, but I've been told that coffee goes well with blueberries)
???

Any really awesome ideas/recipes? Blueberries aren't as inspiring as some of the other secret ingredents, so I've been left a little blah.

Blueberry pumpkin? Blueberry kiwi? Blueberry lime? I have read good things about all these combinations.

Tuesday Morning
Apr 20, 2004

Staring directly into the collective Goatse.cx of the Internet’s soul.
Cake.

Still planning out the different cakes for my sister's wedding. She SWEARS that all she wants is a sheet cake from the store but there's no way I'm letting MY SISTER have ONLY A SHEET CAKE for her wedding.

Practicing cake pops tomorrow with - get this - bacon flavored cake dipped in maple glaze. Likely will have small flecks of bacon in the cake itself. We shall see what the bacon gods decree.

Moto Punch
Feb 3, 2009
I made this cake the other day for my boyfriend to take into work on his birthday. It's not the prettiest cake I've ever made since it didn't need any icing or decoration; it was so delicious and moist on it's own. It's a sour cream lemon cake, absolutely doused in a lemon glaze:

I wish I had a nicer picture of it out of the tin and on a plate :( It was very good, I'll make it again one day for sure.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I had a blueberry peach pie that was pretty much the best (and kind of homely) pie I ever had.

I bet it would make a mean cupcake. Especially with a bit of streusel like topping sprinkled on them or something.

StealthStealth
Aug 28, 2007

dogs eatin' cake

Beichan posted:

Blueberry pumpkin? Blueberry kiwi? Blueberry lime? I have read good things about all these combinations.

I had a blueberry lime cupcake at some cupcake shop a couple months back. It was very very good.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

PezMaster posted:

???

I tried a maple cupcake with maple-bacon buttercream icing topped with candied bacon and filled with blueberries a while back that was surprisingly good, if a bit gimmicky.

cocteau
Nov 28, 2005

The best Darcy.

PezMaster posted:

Happy Abobo posted:

I tried a maple cupcake with maple-bacon buttercream icing topped with candied bacon and filled with blueberries a while back that was surprisingly good, if a bit gimmicky.

Mmm both of these sounds so good. Man, I want that maple bacon one right now!!

If you go with the pomegranate-blueberry option, you should also try filling the cupcake somehow. You might be able to do a filling with ricotta and blueberries a la a canoli (well of course you don't put blueberries in canolis but eh), and frost with a cream cheese icing.

Either way, post your final recipe as I can't wait to see what you do.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Pomegranate-blueberry with ricotta sounds mad trendy and impressive. I like that idea. You can fill the cupcake pretty easily by making a simple blueberry jam mixed with a little ricotta frosting and piping that into a hollow in the center. I think that'd work nicely. I'd frost with ricotta frosting (ala cannoli as cocteau said) though, not cream cheese. Ricotta is a nice delicate flavor that would set off the fruits without overwhelming them, plus it has a little texture to it. Cream cheese is a little strong sometimes.

cocteau
Nov 28, 2005

The best Darcy.

Yeah, the cream cheese icing might be too much. Good point.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Maybe it makes me a horrible person, but cream cheese frosting tends to ruin most things people put it on because it dominates too much where a cooked buttercream would have been far superior.

It's classic for a reason. Cream cheese frosting on your carrot cake, cooked buttercream on your Red Velvet. :colbert:

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.
Sour cream buttercream is superior to both.

SUPERIOR.

Soshi what are those turrets made of?

Soshi
Apr 25, 2004
Make a Charisma Check!

Pooptron2003 posted:

Soshi what are those turrets made of?

They are paper towel roles with royal icing to glue on fondant. You can also use rice-crispy treats, but I was pressed for time. Fondant is the fix-all. The turrets are the only thing that is not edible (the tops have regular ice cream cones turned downward into the roll -- grey fondant covered -- , and the top is a sugar cone -- blue fondant covered).

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Pomegranate-blueberry with ricotta sounds mad trendy and impressive.-

Trendy food...

That sounds weird to me for some reason. Food was always one of those things that was somewhat 'timeless' to me.

Irving
Jun 21, 2003

Rurutia posted:

Trendy food...

That sounds weird to me for some reason. Food was always one of those things that was somewhat 'timeless' to me.

There definitely are trends, if you ever get your hands on older editions of Joy of Cooking and such you'll find all sorts of things that have pretty firmly gone out of style (savory gelatin stuff, cold dishes with mayo slathered all over the outside, etc.) As an example:

http://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/index.html

Fight Club
Jul 12, 2001
I am a shitty rip off of Patrick Bateman.
More pictures!

Practicing for my wedding cake. White cake with strawberry buttercream filling, and buttercream outside. One of my lab mates told me it was the best cake they'd ever had!

StealthStealth
Aug 28, 2007

dogs eatin' cake

Irving posted:

There definitely are trends, if you ever get your hands on older editions of Joy of Cooking and such you'll find all sorts of things that have pretty firmly gone out of style (savory gelatin stuff, cold dishes with mayo slathered all over the outside, etc.) As an example:

http://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/index.html

Or for a little more recent, 10 years ago every "cool" restaurant had "fusion cuisine", which now seems to be falling by the wayside a bit in favor of slow food/local produce dishes.

Pomegranate-blueberry has been a pretty trendy combo for a few years now, and it's delicious as far as drinks and ice cream and soon. I imagine a cupcake would be fantastic.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Though they won't admit it, women were much happier when all they had to do was bake shit and pump out babies.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Pomegranate-blueberry with ricotta sounds mad trendy and impressive. I like that idea. You can fill the cupcake pretty easily by making a simple blueberry jam mixed with a little ricotta frosting and piping that into a hollow in the center. I think that'd work nicely. I'd frost with ricotta frosting (ala cannoli as cocteau said) though, not cream cheese. Ricotta is a nice delicate flavor that would set off the fruits without overwhelming them, plus it has a little texture to it. Cream cheese is a little strong sometimes.

I think I'm going to experiment with this one this weekend and see what happens. Unfortunately, pomegranates are out of season up here so I'll have to make do with POM juice.

I really like the idea of lime/blueberry, but I might not be able to give it as much pizazz as it deserves. Same goes for peach/blueberry.

Also, sour cream buttercream > cream cheese buttercream

Happy Abobo posted:

We experimented with a maple bacon cupcake in the bakery a while back. I'm not so sure if I want to go back down that path again. :(

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

PezMaster posted:

We experimented with a maple bacon cupcake in the bakery a while back. I'm not so sure if I want to go back down that path again. :(

Did they not turn out, or something? I was a bit wary, but it ended up being pretty drat good. A Toronto bakery called For The Love of Cake makes them, I think I have a picture around here somewhere.

Happy Abobo fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jun 4, 2010

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Question to those of you who posted cheesecake recipes : Are you using water baths or do those recipes simply not seem to crack on you?

PezMaster : It sounds good, I think I'm just personally burned out on the blueberry pomegranate thing. Mango blueberry would be awesome too.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Happy Abobo posted:

Did they not turn out, or something? I was a bit wary, but it ended up being pretty drat good. A Toronto bakery called For The Love of Cake makes them, I think I have a picture around here somewhere.

We got mixed reviews - some people were absolutely disgusted with the fact that there were bits of meat in the cake, some people were pretty excited about the concept, and the majority just weren't too sure what to think. It didn't help that we were bragging about how much congealed bacon fat was in the icing. (Plus I'm a vegetarian, so it wasn't my favourite to taste/experiment with)

The recipe we were fooling around with at our test kitchen (aka home) is here, if you're interested.

Captain Stinkybutt posted:

Mango blueberry would be awesome too.
oooh yessssssssss. Too bad I have an order of really complicated mini cups to do for Tuesday - I want to get started on this now.

New Weave Wendy
Mar 11, 2007

Hobo Camp posted:

Thanks for the recipe, making this

Tuesday Morning
Apr 20, 2004

Staring directly into the collective Goatse.cx of the Internet’s soul.
Fondant figure / decoration question:

Let's say I make a REALLY GREAT 3-d sort of cake-topper out of fondant. Which may or may not ever happen, but for the sake of this question, let's assume I make a great one.

How would I transport that over a 10 hour drive and have it keep for a week or more?

Added question: is there something else I should make the cake topper out of? It doesn't HAVE to be edible, but I can't think of anything else to put on cake that's easy to manipulate like fondant.

Fight Club
Jul 12, 2001
I am a shitty rip off of Patrick Bateman.

Tuesday Morning posted:

Fondant figure / decoration question:

Let's say I make a REALLY GREAT 3-d sort of cake-topper out of fondant. Which may or may not ever happen, but for the sake of this question, let's assume I make a great one.

How would I transport that over a 10 hour drive and have it keep for a week or more?

Added question: is there something else I should make the cake topper out of? It doesn't HAVE to be edible, but I can't think of anything else to put on cake that's easy to manipulate like fondant.

I would suggest gum paste. It's sort of like fondant, but it dries faster and harder (I always find my fondant stays somewhat mushy, but that may just be the moisture in the Pacific Northwest messing with me). As for the drive, it really depends on how fragile (thin) the topper is. If it's fairly sturdy, I'd say you could go with a box and just set it on top of something cushion-y, like tissue paper or foam. I've had good luck with transporting even fairly thin gum paste flowers on top of foam, but it was a 10 minute drive, not 10 hours...

Some gum paste info here http://www.baking911.com/decorating/cakes_gumpaste.htm

Liberty_MI
Jun 7, 2002

You can protect yourself from Radioactive Fallout... get the facts! From your Civil Defense Director.

My wifes first wedding cake for a competition.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Liberty_MI posted:

That's amazing! I wouldn't mind having that as my wedding cake. :3:

H.P. Lovecraft
Nov 20, 2008

Liberty_MI posted:

awesome cake pic

My first reaction was "Why did she put pillows on that ca... :aaaaa: "

Your wife is awesome.

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008
While I have not made that Upside down Pineapple cake yet (its happening on Wednesday or this weekend, I promise), I did make another fondant cake. And that cheesecake recipe.

The cheesecake was absolutely ridiculous. My friends all stared at the cheesecake and the pot of nutella with a weird look on their face and wouldn't let me cover the cake with it. However, once I got it cut up they started slathering up the slices with nutella...

Anyways, without further ado:

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

So those Blueberry-Pomegranate Cupcakes . . .

were loving delicious.

\/\/ I'll post it after typing out my entry form for Wednesday :)

PezMaster fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 7, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
When will you learn? RECIPE, WOMAN.

• Locked thread