Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Me Clumsy posted:

I know it is sad that I have to ask this, but...

Why don't you just leave the J.D. out of your application for non-lawyer jobs?

Went straight from college to law school, if I leave the JD off my resume I have to leave my internships off as well and then my resume basically reads "worked a lameo office job, went to college, did nothing for 4 years"

i can stretch that out to half a page at best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

The Warp posted:

Her GPA was a 3.6, her LSAT was, well, she won't tell me. Heh.

So somewhere between 145 and 155

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

Went straight from college to law school, if I leave the JD off my resume I have to leave my internships off as well and then my resume basically reads "worked a lameo office job, went to college, did nothing for 4 years"

Curriculum Vitae of dicks sucked.

A veritable who's who of the closeted middle-aged gay family man of the northeast

Jove
Jun 18, 2004

He doesn't come to us...we go to him...BOW DOWN, SLAVE.

JudicialRestraints posted:

This is really dumb.

On the other hand, HLS is one of 3 schools where you can actually do gainful nonlaw things so your mistake isn't too bad.

E:

Don't get me wrong. I've been reading these threads for a long time (since at least when Mookie was getting his Bateman shtick up and running), so I've been at least fairly disillusioned about what being a lawyer entails and how bad the legal market is right now. I've just had this plan for a very long time and I'll be goddamned if I'm turning away now. And, I mean, poo poo, not many young Black men are in as envious a position.

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

HooKars posted:

Is where you end up completely random or can you select from pretty much anywhere in the nation. I might be interested in learning how to properly embellish my answers.

they post a job opening with a bunch of cities, you can apply for any or all of them. if all of the cities in the posting suck (which they do) you can wait for the next one. if you apply anyway and get rejected, you can wait for the next one. oh also the whole process tends to take for loving ever.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Lemonus posted:

Firtly, I have no intention of going to Law School in the USA. poo poo sounds awful.

I am a dual NZ/USA citizen in my third year of a LLB/BA in New Zealand.

I was wondering if people had some sources of info on Non-Bar law-ish jobs in the USA and such? Perhaps consultancy and stuff for multinational corporations that trade with New Zealand or something like that. Maybe someone here has some idea of what opportunities are out there?.

Its a long way off but Im starting to get interested in living and working in Seattle, San Francisco or Atlanta after I graduate which would be like 2.5 years from now. Figured I should start exploring ideas.

I have a summer clerkship lined up with a top 4 NZ firm the summer after next it appears. The law job climate here does not seem nearly as awful as it is over in the USA. I am doing pretty well for myself grade-wise etc. which is nice too.

Hey man you already asked this and got an answer you probably didn't like, asking again won't get you a better answer.

Warp: good job convincing your girlfriend! You must be a skilled arguer; have you ever considered going to law school?

Mattavist fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jun 4, 2010

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

Can you rephrase all of your internships to make you seem more like a paralegal than an attorney?

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

The Warp posted:

One is a girl who's already done one year of law school, and the other is a JD that graduated from SD a year ago who's been out of work since then.

SD as in South Dakota or SD as in San Diego? I know something like 10% of my class from USD 2009 is still unemployed. :(

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

The Warp posted:

Mission Accomplished:patriot:

Hey brodles, a few pages back you guys were helping me with my girlfriend. Well, I figured it's only fair to congratulate you on a flawless victory. With your help, I managed to get her to put law school on hold for a year while she thinks about things and retakes her LSAT. So thank you so much! If you guys weren't handing me the ammo, I don't think I'd have been able to save her life from soul-crushing mediocrity! I had her read all of your comments and I guess that planted the seed.

Today however, was her first day of an internship at a local law firm. She figured she'd stay busy and get a taste of what real law was, and after one day she's already questioning it. It's an unpaid internship, 40 hours a week, and she was hired along with two other interns. One is a girl who's already done one year of law school, and the other is a JD that graduated from SD a year ago who's been out of work since then. It's been a good exposure for her, now she can see what her prospects are. She's considering telling legal work to got gently caress itself altogether. Now we just gotta figure out what the gently caress she's going to do with her rhetoric/media studies degrees from Berk. :pseudo: Sexcess!

:3:

Jove posted:

Don't get me wrong. I've been reading these threads for a long time (since at least when Mookie was getting his Bateman shtick up and running), so I've been at least fairly disillusioned about what being a lawyer entails and how bad the legal market is right now. I've just had this plan for a very long time and I'll be goddamned if I'm turning away now. And, I mean, poo poo, not many young Black men are in as envious a position.

If you are black and go to HLS then you can probably get a job at a big firm in NY. I do not know whether this applies to any other jobs.
This is why.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
I'm not seeing anyone living up to this past winter's whining/bitching about the bar prep courses. Are all you bar takers actually... studying?

My schedule was 1 hour of study per half hour of bitching on the internet, followed by at least 4-5 alcoholic drinks.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
So I start my Bronx internship on Monday, and am worried about wearing a suit in NYC in the summer. I thought about getting underarmor shirts to wear underneath the button-up; does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Defleshed posted:

I'm not seeing anyone living up to this past winter's whining/bitching about the bar prep courses. Are all you bar takers actually... studying?
Mine only started this week so I haven't started freaking out about it, gimme until week 3 or 4 when the subjects really start piling up

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

billion dollar bitch posted:

So I start my Bronx internship on Monday, and am worried about wearing a suit in NYC in the summer. I thought about getting underarmor shirts to wear underneath the button-up; does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?

I used to have to walk to and from the courts in downtown Brooklyn during the summer. You're right to be concerned. It's hot and humid here and the weather will just wreck you and the suit you're wearing.

If you've got bad suits they will wrinkle a lot thanks to the weather; wear suits with good fabric or do a lot of dry cleaning.

Undershirts are important if you're going to sweat. You don't want to ruin your dress shirts with perspiration. Get V-necks so the shirt doesn't show if you ever go open-collar, and don't wear white because the pits will stain. The brand of shirt will be a matter of personal preference. UA handles sweat better but is tighter on the body. Other brands are looser but the fabric quality isn't as good.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
Seconding the above. Speaking as a fat goon who likes wearing suits, undershirts are probably the most critical part of the dress package.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

How do people wear nice shirts without undershirts? Especially if they're starchy, they'd tear the poo poo out of my skin. Maybe I've just got baby princess skin though.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

billion dollar bitch posted:

Deal with it.

(it was very mild and rainy last summer in Manhattan. Subway still sucked though.)

Ps let me know when nyc figures out central air conditioning.

TheBestDeception fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 4, 2010

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003
The purpose of an undershirt is to absorb sweat and lengthen life of your dress shirt. Also, be careful with starch. Most nice dress shirts shouldn't be starched, it kills the fibers.

And yeah, if your fat, it helps cover/keep in the chub.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Defleshed posted:

My schedule was 1 hour of study per half hour of bitching on the internet, followed by at least 4-5 alcoholic drinks.

It's only been two weeks so I haven't started bitching yet. That's an impressive schedule you got there, btw. Did you pass? I reserve boozin' for the weekend (immense willpower on my part). So in my case, I am actually studying. Considering how I hosed around during law school, this is kind of a new phenomenon for me.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Maggie Fletcher posted:

It's only been two weeks so I haven't started bitching yet. That's an impressive schedule you got there, btw. Did you pass? I reserve boozin' for the weekend (immense willpower on my part). So in my case, I am actually studying. Considering how I hosed around during law school, this is kind of a new phenomenon for me.

Yeah I passed but everyone passes Illinois :shobon:

If I were studying for the California bar I might actually try.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

The Warp posted:

Hey brodles, a few pages back you guys were helping me with my girlfriend. Well, I figured it's only fair to congratulate you on a flawless victory. With your help, I managed to get her to put law school on hold for a year while she thinks about things and retakes her LSAT. So thank you so much! If you guys weren't handing me the ammo, I don't think I'd have been able to save her life from soul-crushing mediocrity! I had her read all of your comments and I guess that planted the seed.

Today however, was her first day of an internship at a local law firm. She figured she'd stay busy and get a taste of what real law was, and after one day she's already questioning it. It's an unpaid internship, 40 hours a week, and she was hired along with two other interns. One is a girl who's already done one year of law school, and the other is a JD that graduated from SD a year ago who's been out of work since then. It's been a good exposure for her, now she can see what her prospects are. She's considering telling legal work to got gently caress itself altogether. Now we just gotta figure out what the gently caress she's going to do with her rhetoric/media studies degrees from Berk. :pseudo: Sexcess!

Now her resentment begins to build, as she tries to find something to do with a rhetoric degree. As she slogs from fast food restaurant to temp agency, she will hold one person, and one person only, responsible for her miserable lot in life - you. You, the Warp, you. You who crushed her life's dream of being a lawyer. But for you and your desire to keep her down, she would be wearing Ally McBeal skirts and making $200,000. Why did you have to ruin her life?

Defleshed posted:

It is just early June. People are still loving around. Wait a few weeks.

diospadre posted:

How do people wear nice shirts without undershirts? Especially if they're starchy, they'd tear the poo poo out of my skin. Maybe I've just got baby princess skin though.

Hey princess, I have been wearing all cotton, lightly starched dress shirts without an undershirt every weekday since 1996. Suck it up.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Solomon Grundy posted:

Now her resentment begins to build, as she tries to find something to do with a rhetoric degree. As she slogs from fast food restaurant to temp agency, she will hold one person, and one person only, responsible for her miserable lot in life - you. You, the Warp, you. You who crushed her life's dream of being a lawyer. But for you and your desire to keep her down, she would be wearing Ally McBeal skirts and making $200,000. Why did you have to ruin her life?

This is true, your relationship is now doomed but you saved her from modern serfdom. Win some, lose some.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Today's lesson:

No one actually reads the poo poo you file, not your bosses, not your local counsel, nor the judge. The only people who read what you file are opposing counsel and only so they can bill. They won't pass it on to their clients until the eve of trial.

Revolver
Feb 23, 2004

CaptainScraps posted:

Today's lesson:

No one actually reads the poo poo you file, not your bosses, not your local counsel, nor the judge. The only people who read what you file are opposing counsel and only so they can bill. They won't pass it on to their clients until the eve of trial.

I don't know about at the trial court level, but I was a state appellate clerk. I read ever single brief, usually multiple times. If you had a good brief, you definitely increased your likelihood of success.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

stingray1381 posted:

I don't know about at the trial court level, but I was a state appellate clerk. I read ever single brief, usually multiple times. If you had a good brief, you definitely increased your likelihood of success.

And if you had a bad brief, it would increase your chance of the clerks making fun of you behind your back. The court I interned at had a team of staff attorneys whose job it was (among other things as far as I know) to give the briefs a quick read and write a short screening memo to describe the issues in the case and give the clerks/judges an idea on where to start researching. We had this one brief, where the person's lawyer was also her father and the screening memo started out something like "the appellant's brief is quite frankly terrible and a great reminder of why you should never hire family to represent you. Nonetheless the claim might have teeth"

They didn't win that case, but the oral arguments were kind of funny - the lawyer was a fairly old man whose senses were pretty clearly beginning to diminish and while at the end of the other lawyer's argument, he kind of got up and walked to his podium like he was about to interrupt and say something; he didn't, but we were all on pins and needles waiting to hear what he was going to say.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

stingray1381 posted:

Eh, once it gets to you guys it's pretty important. It's also less than 2% of what a trial court sees.

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

CaptainScraps posted:

Today's lesson:

In criminal court your motions, PCPs, and appellate briefs are all read. Every argument, no matter how retarded, is responded to, as though all parties were guard dogs barking at the slightest hint of an intruder. People are so diligent that they will even research and reconstruct a nonsense argument so that they have something of actual substance to rebut. This might be because of the higher stakes and superior questions posed by criminal law, though.

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn
I wanted to deal with law and government because that's the realm of english nobility and great figures of classical antiquity.

The Warp posted:

Excellent news; it sounds like she wanted to go into private law, so you cannot imagine the disaster you just avoided. Imagine having Capnscraps in a dress, or Mookie with lipstick, as your future missus. The horror...

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Lykourgos posted:

Excellent news; it sounds like she wanted to go into private law, so you cannot imagine the disaster you just avoided. Imagine having Capnscraps in a dress, or Mookie with lipstick, as your future missus. The horror...

I'd make a sexy chick ;-*

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
Uggh some of the Court of Appeals briefs were so bad, no just low-level criminal briefs either, the worst one I read was from the counsel of a bank that was being sued by a loan servicer for 900,000 dollars and the brief was just a horrible piece of poo poo that completely missed the issue.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Roger_Mudd posted:

This is true, your relationship is now doomed but you saved her from modern serfdom. Win some, lose some.
Well, there might be hope since she's actually doing an internship and learning a bit about what actual practice is like. She'll at least have something real to compare against whatever job it is that she does manage to find, so the odds of resentment are going to go down.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

J Miracle posted:

Uggh some of the Court of Appeals briefs were so bad, no just low-level criminal briefs either, the worst one I read was from the counsel of a bank that was being sued by a loan servicer for 900,000 dollars and the brief was just a horrible piece of poo poo that completely missed the issue.

Yeah it was a pretty enlightening experience, to see how terrible some actual lawyers really are. It made me think "hey, I could do that"

I mean, it turns out nobody* will hire me to do it so I guess I can't, but still

*nobody in the continental US anyway...the guam drums beat harder every day...

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah it was a pretty enlightening experience, to see how terrible some actual lawyers really are. It made me think "hey, I could do that"

I mean, it turns out nobody* will hire me to do it so I guess I can't, but still

*nobody in the continental US anyway...the guam drums beat harder every day...

Seriously, why haven't you applied there yet?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Seriously, why haven't you applied there yet?

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

stingray1381 posted:

Trial court level, here. We read everything well before it reaches the judge. He also reads everything, but he's pretty much the hardest working man in the universe.

Grumblequote posted:

I wanted to deal with law and government because that's the realm of english nobility and great figures of classical antiquity.

A serf with pretensions to joining the landed gentry. Everything is so much more clear now. Reading your posts in Del Boy's voice almost makes them tolerable.

Alaemon fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jun 4, 2010

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004
Quick question, although the answer probably isn't very well known. I assume most law school applications allow you to choose multiple ethnicities, as LSAC does. Does that cancel out the URM status? I wouldn't feel comfortable reporting full URM even if the second ethnicity did cancel it out, so I won't change how I report, I'm just sort of curious if the URM advantage applies to mixed ethnicity circumstances.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

Quick question, although the answer probably isn't very well known. I assume most law school applications allow you to choose multiple ethnicities, as LSAC does. Does that cancel out the URM status? I wouldn't feel comfortable reporting full URM even if the second ethnicity did cancel it out, so I won't change how I report, I'm just sort of curious if the URM advantage applies to mixed ethnicity circumstances.

Pretty much every application gives you the chance to write an optional essay on how your life circumstances make you an interesting candidate, so you could spin it to your advantage in that.

Also, I would think that in the diversity numbers published by schools they would want to put people who were only half to be able to increase those numbers.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Does being a patent examiner count as patent prosecution experience for law firms? I can never remember.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
do it, ainsley. you can always come back later

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Defleshed posted:

I skipped listening to the MD bar guy for contracts talk about necrophilia again. He's a huge perv. It's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

CaptainScraps posted:

Every time I read your posts, I become further convinced practing law in Texas must be the worst.