Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
This build seems quite nice so far. It was already so fast that I'm not sure I notice it being faster, but that's not an issue.

I kind of like the windows 7 taskbar stuff being disabled by default now. I had adapted to leaving it on by ctrl+clicking, but really I was never using the functionality. At least now the download progress win7 stuff still works with that disabled, so we can have best of everything.

My problem where huge images would mysteriously just not display seems to have fixed itself. Though my current sample size in testing that is only 1, it was a reliably triggering bug, so I'm pretty happy with that. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Lakitu7 posted:

My problem where huge images would mysteriously just not display seems to have fixed itself. Though my current sample size in testing that is only 1, it was a reliably triggering bug, so I'm pretty happy with that. :)

Were you using the image autoresizer JS?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
No, I wasn't using any userJS, and it persisted over the course of several profile wipes too.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I'm pretty pleased with 10.60 for right now. My bigger concerns with the path 10.x had taken was regarding integrating their own JS engine, which stranded Opera a few times as you'd expect.

However, I do wish they retained the optional image only "O" button because it seems remarkably inconsistent to have the button with the text when everything else in Opera conforms to the Customization option of "Images" or "Images and Text" and variations between. I'm fairly certain I know the O button is a Menu and I'm fairly certain that after a few weeks of use any new user will also be familiar with the idea. That I'll have to keep this reminder and lose a few pixels in real estate for this purpose to the end of time seems a bit wasteful. I've no problem with it being the default, it's certainly not a shared concept from other browsers so new users might have trouble. But that's just dying for some customization.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Just kill the button and press alt when you need it.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Ape Agitator posted:

However, I do wish they retained the optional image only "O" button because it seems remarkably inconsistent to have the button with the text when everything else in Opera conforms to the Customization option of "Images" or "Images and Text" and variations between.

It's an alpha. I'm 100% sure they will fix that.

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

Wheany posted:

It's an alpha. I'm 100% sure they will fix that.

Actually, it was an intentional design decision. They have a little bit on it in the blog. I agree about the button thing; the big red button already stands out a lot, so I don't really think it's necessary to make it any more obvious. But with that said, it's not that big of a deal, and I'm liking the update overall.

That is, at least on Windows. They still haven't fixed the font rendering in the 64-bit Linux version. I'm stuck using Chrome until they fix that. :(

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Cosmopolitan posted:

Actually, it was an intentional design decision.

Yes, and it will become configurable. By the next alpha/beta release.

GobyWan
Jun 5, 2006
tiny plastic novelty palm trees are all I need

Wheany posted:

Yes, and it will become configurable. By the next alpha/beta release.

I expect so - there are very few things in Opera that aren't configurable. Unfortunately, one of those things is resizing the tab bar while it's on the side of the screen and wrapping to multiple lines. I would very much like to make my tabs smaller without having to use the godawful extender menu to access a bunch of them, but apparently I'm out of luck there.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Most small things that are configurable became that way because users bitched and demanded it. If you care about something, start bitching.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Are SA Last Read links still broken?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

c0burn posted:

Yes. But I think the brokennes expires every few hours, so I suspect it's a cache thing.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2010/06/03/further-core-updates-and-fixes
http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2010/06/03/unix-like-bugfixes

Couple new builds since the alpha (second is the newer).

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

c0burn posted:

Are asking whether the ones provided by SA in the control panel are broken?

Because on Opera 9.64 I have not had a problem with them ever.

arsegrit
Oct 22, 2004

c0burn posted:

It's a bug with it caching 302 redirects. I submitted a bug report for it.

Funny thing is, it only does it if you use middle click.

Ctrl + Shift + Click also opens in a new background tab (or Shift + Click for a new focused tab), but doesn't suffer from the caching issue.

Bizzare.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Nurulwai posted:

It's a bug with it caching 302 redirects. I submitted a bug report for it.

Funny thing is, it only does it if you use middle click.

Ctrl + Shift + Click also opens in a new background tab (or Shift + Click for a new focused tab), but doesn't suffer from the caching issue.

Bizzare.

I too have just noticed this. So weird.

kapalama posted:

Are asking whether the ones provided by SA in the control panel are broken?

Because on Opera 9.64 I have not had a problem with them ever.

Yes. It works fine in 10.10 and earlier.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Oh, that explains why I've never seen it-- I have middle click set to "do nothing" (autoscroll).

In other news I'm happy with this build. In the alpha, the thing where the forums ads never finished loading had resurfaced, and now it's gone again.

Also since the alpha Opera stopped taking so long for the process to stop churning after I exit, which it's done since I can remember.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Man, I can't use the web without middle clicking. :(

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I just really like autoscroll and not paying attention to where my mouse is when I do it. :3: Ctrl+Shift+Click is the lesser evil to me, but fortunately we have these things as options to make everyone happy.

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

YAY, fonts are nice again. :woop:

Edit: VVVVVV
You would want them to store all your user names and passwords?

Cosmopolitan fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jun 4, 2010

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Will OperaLink ever support Wand info?

Buml0r
Sep 15, 2003

WIGGLE HE
I need some help, I'm afraid.

I finally gave in and allowed Opera to update from 10.10 to to 10.53, and I'm still having the same problem that forced me to revert back to 10.10 from whatever the very first version to have the O button was.

Since it's still happening, I've got to assume it's a feature, not an error, so maybe one of you guys can help me out by explaining how it works.

Edit - I should say that this is something I've posted about in here before, and the consensus was that it was a bug. But if it's still there a few versions later, I'm thinking it must actually be a feature that everyone else understands perfectly well, and it's just because I'm describing it from the perspective of someone who doesn't get it that it sounds like a bug. Maybe? Anyway.

The symptom - or feature - is that certain tabs exempt themselves from the ability to switch to them using keyboard shortcuts or even the mouse. For instance, right now I've got these tabs open:

1 Twitter - fine
2 A bit of nerd news - fine
3 Info about a phone I'm thinking of getting - locked
4 "Welcome to Opera" screen, apparently I left it open accidentally - locked
5 This thread

Nothing I can do will let me get back to those two tabs in the middle. They're light grey rather than dark, as if I'm already "on" them.

When I last upgraded, it seemed as if just moving from one tab to another would lock the first tab, until it got to the point where every single tab was inaccessible by any means other than the taskbar icon, which is such a hassle when I've spent years just pressing 1 and 2 or ctrl+tab / ctrl-shift-tab to whizz around between tabs.

I'm using Windows 7 64-bit, on an up-to-date system with no other problems at all. What am I doing wrong here? Until this is solved, I have to keep going back to old versions, and that's never a good idea.

Can anyone help explain this to me?

Oh yeah, and the other thing is that the icon in the taaskbar now treats each tab as a separate window, when I genuinely do want it to still treat each window as a window. I use a lot of tabs, and I'm going to have to continue that way, so I need to sort this stuff out. I understand this second problem is fixable in the options, though.

Buml0r fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jun 4, 2010

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Cosmopolitan posted:

YAY, fonts are nice again. :woop:

Dunno they seem to have gotten worse for me. 10.10 it is.

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

Buml0r posted:

locked tabs

That's definitely a bug, and a bizarre one at that. Try doing a clean install, instead of upgrading. After making sure you have Opera Link enabled and it has synced all your stuff, and then uninstalling, go to C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\ and delete the Opera folder, then again in AppData\Local. Then reinstall Opera.

If that doesn't work, then... v:shobon:v

Buml0r
Sep 15, 2003

WIGGLE HE

Cosmopolitan posted:

The above.

Opera Sync, you say? This sounds like something that saves my user data to a temporary place while I do a clean install, then puts it all back in the right places, correct? Do I have that on my old version, or should I do an upgrade to the new version, sync, then clean install?

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Nurulwai posted:

How did i go for months without noticing this?

Oh god all the time i wasted on scrolling (or end,space,end,....) :negative:

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

RoadCrewWorker posted:

How did i go for months without noticing this?

Oh god all the time i wasted on scrolling (or end,space,end,....) :negative:

Why didn't you just install this UserJS that was mentioned multiple times here?

code:
// ==UserScript==
// @include [url]http://forums.somethingawful.com/*[/url]
// ==/UserScript==
window.addEventListener(
	'load',
	 function(e) {
		if ( !document.body ) return;
		var thread_list_link_pos = window.location.toString().indexOf("forumdisplay.php");
		thread_list_link_pos += window.location.toString().indexOf("bookmarkthreads.php");
		thread_list_link_pos += window.location.toString().indexOf("usercp.php");
		if ( thread_list_link_pos <= 0 ) return;
		var links = document.getElementsByTagName("a");
		var now = (new Date()).getTime();

for (var i = 0; i < links.length; i++) {
			var new_post_pos = links[i].href.indexOf("goto=newpost");
			new_post_pos += links[i].href.indexOf("goto=lastpost");
			if ( new_post_pos <= -2 ) continue;

links[i].href += "&now=" + now;
		}
	},
	false
);

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

Buml0r posted:

I finally gave in and allowed Opera to update from 10.10 to to 10.53, and I'm still having the same problem that forced me to revert back to 10.10 from whatever the very first version to have the O button was.

Buml0r posted:

Opera Sync, you say? This sounds like something that saves my user data to a temporary place while I do a clean install, then puts it all back in the right places, correct? Do I have that on my old version, or should I do an upgrade to the new version, sync, then clean install?

Opera Link has been a feature since 9.5. Log in with your MyOpera account, and all of your settings will automagically reappear with every new install/upgrade. :ssh:

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.
Is anyone having an issue with Facebook chat in 10.53? Every time I get a new message in chat it scrolls the chat all the way to the top. It's super annoying.

Buml0r
Sep 15, 2003

WIGGLE HE

Cosmopolitan posted:

Opera Link has been a feature since 9.5. Log in with your MyOpera account, and all of your settings will automagically reappear with every new install/upgrade. :ssh:

Cool, that sounds pretty useful! Now, excuse me while I go and find out what a MyOpera account is... it's beginning to dawn on me that I've been Doing It Wrong for quite some time now... :3:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Cosmopolitan posted:

Not all of your settings. Just bookmarks, speed dial and notes.

It won't sync your toolbars, user-js, content blocker and wand settings, for example.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Mithaldu posted:

Why didn't you just install this UserJS that was mentioned multiple times here?

code:
// ==UserScript==
// @include [url]http://forums.somethingawful.com/*[/url]
// ==/UserScript==
window.addEventListener(
	'load',
	 function(e) {
		if ( !document.body ) return;
		var thread_list_link_pos = window.location.toString().indexOf("forumdisplay.php");
		thread_list_link_pos += window.location.toString().indexOf("bookmarkthreads.php");
		thread_list_link_pos += window.location.toString().indexOf("usercp.php");
		if ( thread_list_link_pos <= 0 ) return;
		var links = document.getElementsByTagName("a");
		var now = (new Date()).getTime();

for (var i = 0; i < links.length; i++) {
			var new_post_pos = links[i].href.indexOf("goto=newpost");
			new_post_pos += links[i].href.indexOf("goto=lastpost");
			if ( new_post_pos <= -2 ) continue;

links[i].href += "&now=" + now;
		}
	},
	false
);

I can't get this to work. Does it have to have a certain filename or something?

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
I get the impression that 10.5 has a harder time with pages with a ton of images. For example: http://ikeahacker.blogspot.com/

When I mousewheel scroll up/down or even when I just page up/down, the scrolling is very laggy and jerky. When I hit page down, it'll lag about half a second before paging down. Switching to that particular tab from another tab also lags about half a second too. I've tried toggling smooth scrolling but it doesn't help.

I have a 10.10 installation on the same computer and that website poses absolutely no problems for it. The scrolling is immediate and works like any other page.

Does anyone else experience this?

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
That page takes a few seconds to load up during which the scrolling jitters (because the browser is adding the pictures on the fly changing the page length) but after that it's as smooth as every other page for me. Using page down i can go through the page in less than a second.

RAM issues?

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

RoadCrewWorker posted:

That page takes a few seconds to load up during which the scrolling jitters (because the browser is adding the pictures on the fly changing the page length) but after that it's as smooth as every other page for me. Using page down i can go through the page in less than a second.

RAM issues?

I don't think it's RAM issues since I have the same setup and problem at my work computer :(

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
Is this a feature or a bug I've discovered? Every time I click a link outside of Opera, say in Outlook or from an instant messenger conversation, Opera opens it in a Private tab. I've checked associations in Opera, checked privacy settings, and checked my Windows file type associations. This isn't so annoying, and in a few situations probably a good idea, but it gets tiring on cookied websites since it sandboxes itself and makes me log in every time.

Opera 10.54
Windows 7 x64

Aunt Beth fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jun 8, 2010

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
No I'm fairly certain I remember seeing that in a changelog as a fixed bug.

Update to a weekly.
http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/

I haven't used the latest one (today) yet, but the last few have been at least as stable as 10.54 and are quite usable as main browsers.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Am I the only person that cannot seem to get userscripts to run in 10.60?

64bit Debian here. Same result on two different machines.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

How to Destroy Angels Website is crashing Opera for me when I try and buy the EP. Anyone else?

(People using Opera, posting in this thread, likely to buy a Nine Inch Nails side project probably answers that question for me.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

kapalama posted:

How to Destroy Angels Website is crashing Opera for me when I try and buy the EP. Anyone else?

It worked for me when I bought it.