Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

SUBFRIES posted:

Looks great, going to give a listen later today.

We used to have a Hollowpoint in DC, he was in Telemetrik originally, but stopped playing out years ago. He still collects tunes though.

much appreciated, it was an off-the-cuff mix based on my radio show last week. I need to make more mixes and offer a d/l link (unless I'm blind and can't see it). Hollow Point was just kind of a default name I chose. When I started DJing, I couldn't think of a good stage name and some buddies and I were joking around that if I can't figure anything out, I'd pick Hollow Point because at least it didn't sound horrible.

SUBFRIES posted:

7. Icicle & Noisia – “Driftwood” [Shogun Audio]

14. Lynx & Alix Perez feat. Kemo – “Keep It Low” feat. Rob McRudden [Detail Recordings]

16. The Qemists – “Your Revolution (Reso Remix)” [Ninja Tune]

Some badass tracks right here, definitely checking this mix...

quote:

13. Fresh & Pendulum – “Babylon Rising” [Breakbeat Kaos]

OH NOES PENDULUM. I like this tune too, and it sounds great on a massive system

chrix fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jun 7, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

chrix posted:

much appreciated, it was an off-the-cuff mix based on my radio show last week. I need to make more mixes and offer a d/l link (unless I'm blind and can't see it). Hollow Point was just kind of a default name I chose. When I started DJing, I couldn't think of a good stage name and some buddies and I were joking around that if I can't figure anything out, I'd pick Hollow Point because at least it didn't sound horrible.

Definitely a good name! Hope you didn't take it as a "names taken, get a new one".

I actually used to just go by Ransom, but then over the years found out about Ransom (now he usually goes by Joe Ransom), who is a resident at Fabric, and then DJ Ransom in Australia, who was a DMC champ down there. If you do an artist search for Ransom on Beatport, they have my two dnb releases mixed in with Joe Ransom's breakbeat release, since they were from around the same time.

chrix posted:

OH NOES PENDULUM. I like this tune too, and it sounds great on a massive system

I've got my crate of guilty pleasures, a.k.a. "these will make the girls dance, and everyone else will follow." Pendulum - "Plasticworld" (feat. vocals by MC Fats and TC, yes that TC, is in it too...

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

SUBFRIES posted:

Definitely a good name! Hope you didn't take it as a "names taken, get a new one".

Not at all, mate. You should have heard some of the other names we came up with!

SUBFRIES posted:

I've got my crate of guilty pleasures, a.k.a. "these will make the girls dance, and everyone else will follow." Pendulum - "Plasticworld" (feat. vocals by MC Fats and TC, yes that TC, is in it too...

This exemplifies pretty much all of my original vinyl. Starting out, I bought tunes I liked, not tunes I thought would sound good together. My first mixes included tracks like Kryptic Minds & Leon Switch - More Like You followed up by stuff like Q-Project - Sticky Fingers 5 minutes later.

We all start somewhere. :sigh: It is nice to be able to bust out those tracks on a massive crowd, though.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

chrix posted:

Not at all, mate. You should have heard some of the other names we came up with!

I was almost DJ Snarf.

chrix posted:

We all start somewhere. :sigh: It is nice to be able to bust out those tracks on a massive crowd, though.

I used to have a lot of stuff on Joker Records, and would try to mix it with old No U-Turn and Metalheadz... Nothing like "Raw Dogs" in to "Armoured D".

feedtheid
Oct 17, 2006

we get it, you're too busy fellating Gabe to put yourself into someone else's shoes
A friend of mine thought about DJ Tang Control for a while.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

DJCrabhat (one word). No one will ever step to me.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
The two best DJ names I've come across are Rave Mears and Bob Crunkhouse. You'll probably get them more if you're English though.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

There used to be local house DJ who played out as KY Jeffy.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

SUBFRIES posted:

There used to be local house DJ who played out as KY Jeffy.

This is the best thing I have ever seen.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

We had a Fister Belvedere for a while, too

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures
I'm gonna be DJ K-9 and my crew is 'da drug sniffin dawgz'

this is definitely the corniest idea i've ever had. but still.

SOME PIG fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jun 8, 2010

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010
yo r4ns0m / subfries whatsup with the police starting your next mix? Did your recording grab the outro of the DJ before you?

also is there a way to get better than 128kbps versions?

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Longtiem posted:

yo r4ns0m / subfries whatsup with the police starting your next mix? Did your recording grab the outro of the DJ before you?

also is there a way to get better than 128kbps versions?

That was the last tune of the 3rd Rail Radio guys, although I like The Police. Actually, if you ever check out Joe Nice's radio show, he always starts with something classic & non-dubstep, just to kind of reset the mood. Actually, I've seen him do this at parties too.

And no better quality from WMUC :/

The mixes I record myself are 320 though.

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010

SUBFRIES posted:

That was the last tune of the 3rd Rail Radio guys, although I like The Police. Actually, if you ever check out Joe Nice's radio show, he always starts with something classic & non-dubstep, just to kind of reset the mood. Actually, I've seen him do this at parties too.

And no better quality from WMUC :/

The mixes I record myself are 320 though.

It wasn't a complaint just a surprise, it's all good. The DL link on tumblr is a 128 joint stereo according to iTunes.

E: also starscape photos / opinions or whatever! I need to live vicariously through people that went.

Longtiem fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 9, 2010

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
OK, I've got another request guys - I'm going to New Orleans this weekend, 6 hour drive each way, and my friend who is riding with me requested that I not play dubstep the entire way there and back. He said DNB would be ok. DNB will also keep me awake. Can anyone recommend some podcasts/ free mixes / any BBC Essential Mixes available for download? I already have the entire Mechabyte series (awesome), and the essential mixes from Pendulum, High Contrast, and DJ Hype. Thanks in advance.

Also, long shot, but if anyone knows of any DNB events in NO on Saturday, I'd appreciate the heads-up, not really expecting the cards to fall like that though.

e; Also, thanks for whoever recommended Mechabyte earlier in the thread, it's exactly the filth I was looking for. I really enjoyed the High Contrast mix I got as well.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Dramatika posted:

OK, I've got another request guys - I'm going to New Orleans this weekend, 6 hour drive each way, and my friend who is riding with me requested that I not play dubstep the entire way there and back. He said DNB would be ok. DNB will also keep me awake. Can anyone recommend some podcasts/ free mixes / any BBC Essential Mixes available for download? I already have the entire Mechabyte series (awesome), and the essential mixes from Pendulum, High Contrast, and DJ Hype. Thanks in advance.

Also, long shot, but if anyone knows of any DNB events in NO on Saturday, I'd appreciate the heads-up, not really expecting the cards to fall like that though.

e; Also, thanks for whoever recommended Mechabyte earlier in the thread, it's exactly the filth I was looking for. I really enjoyed the High Contrast mix I got as well.

Podcasts:
Autonomic Podcast
This one's on the minimal side of dnb. It's more of the "thinking man's" version of dnb. Really crisp sounds and can get you vibing nicely. No chatter, it's all mixing.

Hospital Reocrds Podcast
Easily my favorite podcast. I usually listen to every single one and I haven't found one I didn't enjoy. There's a bit of chatter, but sometimes that's ok. It's a lot of fun and they always play great tunes. Hosted by London Elektricity himself, who is head of Hospital Records.

DnBArena Podcast
This one is very similar to the Hospital Podcast, but they don't focus on one single label as much as diversifying the track selection to the whole spectrum of DnB. Still very good, hosted by a semi-famous MC, The Risky. They usually have guest mixes, so check the listings to find your favorite artists.

Shogun Audio Podcast (link is on the main page)
I've just recently started to get into this one, but so far, I've been impressed. This one's similar to the Hospital Podcast because a lot of what they play is released on Shogun or by an artist with releases on Shogun, but still very, very worth while. Hosted by a LEGEND in Dnb and Head of Shogun Audio, DJ Friction.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

chrix posted:

Podcasts:
Autonomic Podcast
This one's on the minimal side of dnb. It's more of the "thinking man's" version of dnb. Really crisp sounds and can get you vibing nicely. No chatter, it's all mixing.

Hospital Reocrds Podcast
Easily my favorite podcast. I usually listen to every single one and I haven't found one I didn't enjoy. There's a bit of chatter, but sometimes that's ok. It's a lot of fun and they always play great tunes. Hosted by London Elektricity himself, who is head of Hospital Records.

DnBArena Podcast
This one is very similar to the Hospital Podcast, but they don't focus on one single label as much as diversifying the track selection to the whole spectrum of DnB. Still very good, hosted by a semi-famous MC, The Risky. They usually have guest mixes, so check the listings to find your favorite artists.

Shogun Audio Podcast (link is on the main page)
I've just recently started to get into this one, but so far, I've been impressed. This one's similar to the Hospital Podcast because a lot of what they play is released on Shogun or by an artist with releases on Shogun, but still very, very worth while. Hosted by a LEGEND in Dnb and Head of Shogun Audio, DJ Friction.

Thanks! Unfortunately, I don't use iTunes so it looks like I won't be able to get to a few of these. Looking forward to the Autonomic podcasts though, I've always been a fan of the minimal techno and dubstep, can't see why minimal DnB would go any differently. Here's hoping my phone's mp3 app can play .m4a files.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Dramatika posted:

Thanks! Unfortunately, I don't use iTunes so it looks like I won't be able to get to a few of these. Looking forward to the Autonomic podcasts though, I've always been a fan of the minimal techno and dubstep, can't see why minimal DnB would go any differently. Here's hoping my phone's mp3 app can play .m4a files.

I hate iTunes as well, but am kind of forced to use it for these podcasts. I don't use iTunes for anything but loading my iPod.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

The Autonomic ones you can download directly off of their site.

Also, take a look at the archives on http://www.rinse.fm -- quite a few drum'n'bass shows on there lately.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

SUBFRIES posted:

The Autonomic ones you can download directly off of their site.

Also, take a look at the archives on http://www.rinse.fm -- quite a few drum'n'bass shows on there lately.

I know, that's why I said I was looking forward to them :)

I'm really interested in the DNBarena podcasts, but sadly they require iTunes to download. Thankfully, I just tested one of the hospital podcasts on my phone, and it works like a charm.

I'll go check out rinse.fm right now, thanks for the tip!

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Dramatika posted:

I'll go check out rinse.fm right now, thanks for the tip!

Sure thing. You might be able to find mirrors of the other podcasts. Also, here is one more site to check out:

http://www.dubplatedigest.net/

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

SUBFRIES posted:

Sure thing. You might be able to find mirrors of the other podcasts. Also, here is one more site to check out:

http://www.dubplatedigest.net/

OK, now that is the poo poo, thanks so much! Looking forward to checking out the mixes from TC, High Contrast, and a few others. I don't think I'll need to ask for suggestions again for months with this site.

Lowbo
Jan 16, 2010
I've been listening to Noisia's essential mix a bunch, and it's really cool. I've never been a drum and bass fan and it's really bringing me into it.

I can find all the normal dnb I want, but the parts that really interested me were when it dropped into halftime, like Head Knot, Soul Purge, or the intro to Contact.

I think halftime dnb is really tight, but I can't find anyone else doing it besides Noisia. Otherwise, its just a couple scattered songs like Rusko - Hold On (Sub Focus Remix). Any suggestions?

Lowbo fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 12, 2010

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dramatika, I live in New Orleans and don't know of many DNB events there :(

The only regular event I've been to / know of is that weekly DNB/Jungle night at the Dragon's Den, but that's on Thursdays.

Big acts pass through here every now and then, but none are coming through this weekend that I've heard of.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Lowbo posted:

I've been listening to Noisia's essential mix a bunch, and it's really cool. I've never been a drum and bass fan and it's really bringing me into it.

I can find all the normal dnb I want, but the parts that really interested me were when it dropped into halftime, like Head Knot, Soul Purge, or the intro to Contact.

I think halftime dnb is really tight, but I can't find anyone else doing it besides Noisia. Otherwise, its just a couple scattered songs like Rusko - Hold On (Sub Focus Remix). Any suggestions?

It sounds like you might really like dubstep as well, have you checked any out?

As for DnB, I also really like when tracks slip into half-step, but keep the same tempo.

A few that I know of:

Calibre - Step Toe

Raiden - Danzon

Noisia f/ Amon Tobin - Sunhammer

These guys do a lot with the half-step/drumstep feel, check out this podcast:

chrix posted:

Autonomic Podcast

Lowbo
Jan 16, 2010
I know plenty of dubstep, but it's a lot slower. I think DnB is typically at 170ish bpm, right? So halftime is around 85 bpm instead of 70, which has a much bouncier feel.

I don't know why that tempo isn't being explored more, cause I love that groove. Guess I have to make it myself...

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Well actually, what's the difference between half-step and just regular breakbeat/breaks? The BPM is the same, those half-step tracks that were posted sound like breaks to me. Hip-hop, too, is around 90 BPM...

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010
Just downloaded 30 hours of podcasts :ohdear:

EMUpirate
Oct 30, 2002

Koo Koo Ka-Chaw Koo Koo Ka-Chaw

dethkon posted:

Well actually, what's the difference between half-step and just regular breakbeat/breaks? The BPM is the same, those half-step tracks that were posted sound like breaks to me. Hip-hop, too, is around 90 BPM...

Half step's kick-snare rhythm is usually more spread out. DNB breakbeats are usually kick--snare--kick-snare @ 170+bpm. I typed a bunch of other stuff that only halfway made sense and deleted it. It should be pretty easy to hear the difference.

Edit: Aren't breaks around 125 or 130bpm? Or did you not mean that type of breaks?

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with

EMUpirate posted:

Half step's kick-snare rhythm is usually more spread out. DNB breakbeats are usually kick--snare--kick-snare @ 170+bpm. I typed a bunch of other stuff that only halfway made sense and deleted it. It should be pretty easy to hear the difference.

Edit: Aren't breaks around 125 or 130bpm? Or did you not mean that type of breaks?

Nah you're right, my bad.

EMUpirate
Oct 30, 2002

I propose Hospitality and such be streamed like Bonnaroo on Youtube.

feedtheid
Oct 17, 2006

we get it, you're too busy fellating Gabe to put yourself into someone else's shoes
If NPR had a dedicated EDM listener base, they might do what they are right now and stream SERIOUSLY EVERY BONNAROO CONCERT except for dnb/etc sets.

Lowbo
Jan 16, 2010

dethkon posted:

Nah you're right, my bad.

There's that, and I just love the energy DnB has. Like if you listen to Rusko - Hold On (Sub Focus Remix) you have the really groovy halftime kick and snare rhythm, but also the hectic hihats and ghost snares, etc that give the song so much energy. I just think it works really well and I'm suprised there isn't more of it.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

A little on the ambient side, but I am loving this track right now

XX - Infinity (Bachelors of Science Remix)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSOGVdvz0SU

edit: yt's quality is crap.

Check out the track/download here: http://bachelorsofscience.bandcamp.com/track/the-xx-infinity-bachelors-of-science-remix

chrix fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 14, 2010

EMUpirate
Oct 30, 2002

Continuing the ambient Bachelors of Science trend...
Bachelors of Science - Bombay Sapphire
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4kbovrVyVQ

More half-tempo example tunes...
Alix Perez - 1984
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2rmQBJ9GQs&feature=related

Commix - Bear Music
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPy55P1_UsM

Lynx & Kemo - Dangerous (ft. Alix Perez)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAkiLlsFxgA&feature=related

To make this a bit less of a PYF post, does anybody have any info on any new releases? Anybody (stateside) got anything cool coming up?

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

EMUpirate posted:

To make this a bit less of a PYF post, does anybody have any info on any new releases? Anybody (stateside) got anything cool coming up?

My buddy has his first release under his new alias promo'd this week:

Hybris - "The Cleaner / Raindance" [Modulations]
http://www.chemical-records.co.uk/sc/servlet/Info?Track=MODULE002

He's from the DC area, but moved to Prague about two years ago. He also used to be 1/3rd of Robot Death Squad, and a few of those tunes were just him but came out under the RDS name. Now he's doing his own stuff, had a track on a Vampire Records last year and then he really started cranking out tunes and getting them signed.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

EMUpirate posted:

Rockwell's Full Cycle / My War was just released on Shogun Audio and it's pretty drat amazing, if you're into the minimal growlers he's been putting out.

I was listening to the Shogun Podcast the other day and Friction was interviewing him about his production habits. He samples so many different sounds, he said it would be pretty common for him to have over 100 instruments loaded into his DAW of choice. And by instruments I mean the sound of paper tearing, doors closing, popgun shots and whatever else he can get to fit.

Rockwell is definitely a producer to be on the lookout for. I'm hoping he does some collabs with S.P.Y. because Rockwell's sampling mixed with S.P.Y.'s basslines would turn out some really crazy tracks.

EMUpirate
Oct 30, 2002

chrix posted:

Rockwell's Full Cycle / My War was just released on Shogun Audio and it's pretty drat amazing, if you're into the minimal growlers he's been putting out.

Rockwell is definitely a producer to be on the lookout for.

YES, YES, YES! It's artists like Rockwell that give me the satisfaction of knowing that dnb does have some highly progressive guys in a game that seemed to be going stale (a cycle that happens about every 4 years or so with the genre).

SUBFRIES posted:

My buddy has his first release under his new alias promo'd this week:

Hybris - "The Cleaner / Raindance" [Modulations]
http://www.chemical-records.co.uk/sc/servlet/Info?Track=MODULE002

Well deserved, he has that of dark half-tempo vibe, but still dancefloor ready. Both tunes were really great and I hope to hear more from him in the future!

Edit: King Cannibal agrees!

From Facebook posted:

King Cannibal
have i said how much how much i like Rockwell's stuff right now? I enjoy the minimal dnb stuff but its been sailing far to close to Good Looking or early 720 records stuff for me. Rockwell is making this interesting again.

EMUpirate fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 17, 2010

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010
For those that missed it:
http://www.rolldabeats.com/mixes/12/

Nookies mix is loving profound dude.

Also, for all the die hard pendulum fans, do you like the Qemists?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1krmAcCdZ_Y

I like their remixes a lot too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with

Longtiem posted:

For those that missed it:
http://www.rolldabeats.com/mixes/12/

Nookies mix is loving profound dude.

Also, for all the die hard pendulum fans, do you like the Qemists?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1krmAcCdZ_Y

I like their remixes a lot too.

I'm not much of a die-hard pendulum fan, but I gently caress with the Qemists. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25jaxlXk7pA

The Reso remix destroys it, though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJIwyiqsWj8&feature=PlayList&p=813C21A8B36F0F6D&playnext_from=PL&index=15