Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

7 y.o. bitch
Mar 24, 2009

:derp:

Name 7 yob
Age 55 years young
Posts OVER 9000 XD
Title BOOK BARN SUPERSTAR
Motto Might I quote the incomparable Frederick Douglas? To wit: :drum:ONE TWO THREE TIMES TWO TO THE SIX/JONESING FOR YOUR FIX OF THAT LIMP BIZKIT MIX:drum:XD
So I'm reading a bunch of books that I should have already read, and I just finished Judith Butler's "Gender Trouble." I think it's strange how naively she treats her own metaphor of the drag show as a performance that reveals the constructedness of our own ontological conceptions of sex and gender when she applies such intense methods of deconstruction onto previous writer's metaphors. The same goes with her conception of "comedy" and "giddiness" as somehow necessarily subversive (and she hardly considers what the "content" of subversive performance might be). She doesn't seem to treat drag as if it may very well be part of the theatricalization of gender that a hegemonic discourse requires, nor does she historicize drag (I immediately think of Joan of Arc, Elizabethan Theatre practices, and Restoration Comedy). It's also unclear whether she thinks we should construct our gender identities (and inevitably "identities" in general) according to subversive, comedic principles; since for her, own can only "perform" a gender identity through ritual repetition, and so simply taking on a costume occasionally would not be truly subversive. I think her seemingly implied aesthetic affinity - for the postmodern embrace of multiplicitous identity vs. Kristeva's championing of the modern struggle with personal disintegration, or comedy vs. tragedy - blinds her occasionally to her own critique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donkey Darko
Aug 13, 2007

I do not lust for blood or death. I prepare for the warrior's call.

deety posted:

"Swap" was probably a bad choice of words on GR's part. You don't need to find someone to trade one for one with. The requester pays for the shipping, and for every ten books of your own you send you get one free shipping credit. Once you list or request books, you'll have a little "karma" box on your profile that'll show how many books you've listed, sent off, and requested. Some users care about the karma and refuse requests from those who have really unbalanced stats, others don't give a drat.

Oh, that's a lot better system tbh. Awesome. I might put some books up to swap then.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I imported my library into goodreads from some other book program, only to realize that I had stopped updating it a while back.

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/3838124

Alright have to go through and add everyone as friends now.

lokk
Nov 18, 2005
i'm legit.

Donkey Darko posted:

Oh, that's a lot better system tbh. Awesome. I might put some books up to swap then.

Yeah, I just shipped my first book today to a guy who's shipped 0 books but requested like 15. Wonder if he's just selling them or something. Anyways doesn't matter to me, I don't care to keep books around. But it does look like a decent amount of fantasy/other novels are available for just the cost of shipping. Beats getting a cheap book off half.com that looks like it just got out of a paper shredder.

http://www.goodreads.com/swap

Go go go, request away!

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

In the Feedback forum over there, a few people reported getting requests from an account that had received hundreds of books but not shipped any. The person who sent books off to them googled the address and it matched a used bookshop's. The oddest thing about that thread, to me, were the number of people that didn't seem to give a drat about the idea of a bookseller stocking themselves through the swap. I think they've added a maximum number of open requests you can have at once since then.

Donkey Darko
Aug 13, 2007

I do not lust for blood or death. I prepare for the warrior's call.
I wouldn't give a drat about a second-hand book seller taking my old paperbacks, so long as they were upfront about it. If it were a particularly popular book, I might be tempted to hold out for someone who genuinely wants to read it, however.

Hell, if I wanted money for my old paperbacks I'd stick them on my eBay account; if someone is going to take them off my hands and all I have to do is post them, I can't complain.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

deety posted:

a bookseller stocking themselves through the swap

That sounds like a really lovely thing to do, making money off it. On top of never giving anything back.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

LooseChanj posted:

That sounds like a really lovely thing to do, making money off it. On top of never giving anything back.

I agree. it is taking advantage of people's' goodwill, and contrary to the reciprocal nature of the site. Too many free riders and the system will collapse.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

What about a thread about detective/mystery fiction; would there be any interest? I'd start one myself but I've never started a thread in SA before and I might not be enough of a TBB regular to be comfortable doing so. :ohdear:

Re: the kerfuffle a few pages back -- I'm also very interested in travel books, such as the works of Bill Bryson, Paul Theroux, etc. New thread or discuss here?

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

I'd certainly be interested. I've read a lot of older detective fiction (Chandler, Hammett, etc.) but I haven't really followed the genre into the modern age. I'd like to see what other authors I should check out.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

That'd work; I tend to favour British authors anyway. :) I'd be happy to start a thread if no one objects?

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
When you guys first started a goodreads account, did you just start recording books you read from that point on or actually enter in everything from your past read bookshelves/libary?

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

ultrachrist posted:

When you guys first started a goodreads account, did you just start recording books you read from that point on or actually enter in everything from your past read bookshelves/libary?

I entered a bunch of stuff that I remembered reading fairly recently. I didn't enter everything I had ever read.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

My GR account is only what I've read since I started it. I keep thinking about putting in things I remember well enough, but I never get around to it.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
I need ideas for the book of the month poll I'm planning on posting tomorrow, por favor.

7 y.o. bitch
Mar 24, 2009

Name 7 yob
Age 55 years young
Posts OVER 9000 XD
Motto Might I quote the incomparable Frederick Douglas? To wit: :drum:ONE TWO THREE TIMES TWO TO THE SIX/JONESING FOR YOUR FIX OF THAT LIMP BIZKIT MIX:drum:XD

LooseChanj posted:

I need ideas for the book of the month poll I'm planning on posting tomorrow, por favor.

Hopscotch (Cortazar), The Good Soldier Svejk, Suite Francaise, The Voyeur (Robbe-Grillet)

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

"In England we have a saying for a situation such as this, which is that it's difficult difficult lemon difficult."

LooseChanj posted:

Ferdydurke, Witold Gombrowicz.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

LooseChanj posted:

Accelerando by Charles Stross

It's available for free!

http://manybooks.net/titles/strosscother05accelerando-txt.html

rasser
Jul 2, 2003

LooseChanj posted:

I'm reading Henry Miller: Tropic of Cancer atm, I might as well suggest that.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

7 y.o. bitch posted:

Hopscotch (Cortazar), The Good Soldier Svejk, Suite Francaise, The Voyeur (Robbe-Grillet)

Svejk is a good call.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

7 y.o. bitch posted:

The Good Soldier Svejk

There has to be a freebie version somewhere, someone find it.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

LooseChanj posted:

The Leenane Trilogy by Martin McDonagh

also yeah tropic of cancer is really good

inktvis
Dec 11, 2005

What is ridiculous about human beings, Doctor, is actually their total incapacity to be ridiculous.

LooseChanj posted:

There has to be a freebie version somewhere, someone find it.
Published in 1923, so maybe it falls under the same extension of copyright that's keeping the last volumes of Penguin's new Proust off the shelves in the US. Something about copyright being extended to 95 years after the artist's death, that being 2018 in this case.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

inktvis posted:

Published in 1923, so maybe it falls under the same extension of copyright that's keeping the last volumes of Penguin's new Proust off the shelves in the US. Something about copyright being extended to 95 years after the artist's death, that being 2018 in this case.

I am all for copyright protection (my livelihood depends on it)m but give me a loving break. 95 years is ridiculous. Even 70 is pretty drat long. This goes beyond the original point of copyright protection.

While the original miiight be out of (c), the translations probably aren't.

I just saw that the Malazan book of the fallen thread has almost 5000 posts. The mind boggles. What the hell are they talking (more likely, arguing) about in there? (I'm too scared to look)

therattle fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jun 17, 2010

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Big thank you to my man Bret Easton Ellis for charging $26 for a sequel to Less than Zero that is less than 170 pages long. Dap, homey

Hoisin Crispy Owl
Jan 1, 2010
To be fair, I don't think price is in the author's control most of the time, isn't pricing a publisher's decision?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Publisher or bookseller depending on the arrangement. But yeah almost never the author.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

In that case thanks for calling your novella a novel, Sunglass Lord of the Eighties

7 y.o. bitch
Mar 24, 2009

Name 7 yob
Age 55 years young
Posts OVER 9000 XD
Book prices are determined by supply and demand just like everything else, hth.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

7 y.o. bitch posted:

Book prices are determined by supply and demand just like everything else, hth.

That actually helps a lot. Thanks!

THRILLED 2B HERE
Jan 14, 2006
This isnt entirely the right thread for this but I didnt feel confident, or see a big enough demand, in starting a new one just for this.

I've recently started buying books and setting aside the time to read them and I'm on the lookout for new authors. I remember one sci-fi author that was recommended in a sci-fi thread here long ago, it was an "Asian" sounding name which I think was in the format of "A.A. Aaaaaaa" although I could be wrong. He had written a series, possibly hard sci-fi, everybody was raving about how awesome it was. At the time I even went into a local bookstore and asked for it by name but I cant for the life of me remember it or the books title and its driving me up the wall.

7 y.o. bitch
Mar 24, 2009

Name 7 yob
Age 55 years young
Posts OVER 9000 XD
e: I don't know why I thought this was the grad school thread.

7 y.o. bitch fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 20, 2010

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

THRILLED 2B HERE posted:

This isnt entirely the right thread for this but I didnt feel confident, or see a big enough demand, in starting a new one just for this.

I've recently started buying books and setting aside the time to read them and I'm on the lookout for new authors. I remember one sci-fi author that was recommended in a sci-fi thread here long ago, it was an "Asian" sounding name which I think was in the format of "A.A. Aaaaaaa" although I could be wrong. He had written a series, possibly hard sci-fi, everybody was raving about how awesome it was. At the time I even went into a local bookstore and asked for it by name but I cant for the life of me remember it or the books title and its driving me up the wall.

Your description is pretty vague, but are you possibly talking about the Mars series (Red Mars/Green Mars/Blue Mars) by Kim Stanley Robinson? I guess Kim is sorta Asian sounding although he's not Asian as far as I know.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

THRILLED 2B HERE posted:

name like that has to be A. A. Attanasio

THRILLED 2B HERE
Jan 14, 2006
Apologies for being so vague, its partly whats fustrating me so much that I remember so little. I dont remember anything of the names, just the format I think was two initials then a surname, although I may be wrong and it was a three name affair. It was pretty exotic, not something like "kim" or "lee". I remember having to give the woman at the bookstore the title of the book as I didnt have any hope of spelling the authors name.

For some reason I keep thinking of "A Song of Ice and Fire" being mentioned along with this author despite it being fantasy. I've trawled various sites online and even spent a good while reading through a list of published sci-fi authors in the hope i'd see the name but alas, i've not found it.

Posting here was a last ditch effort on the off chance somebody would make sense of my vague ramblings and pull the name out of somewhere. It was definitely here in a "Reccommend me sci-fi/fantasty authors" thread but it was a long time ago, more than two years now I think.

THRILLED 2B HERE fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 20, 2010

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

THRILLED 2B HERE posted:

I dont remember anything of the names, just the format I think was two initials then a surname, although I may be wrong and it was a three name affair.

All I can think of now is R.B. BAPPERCHAPS from that sci-fi book photoshop thread.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

edit: nm

Drimble Wedge fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 21, 2010

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Oh, and I FINALLY got around to making that thread: The butler did it: mysteries and detective fiction.

7 y.o. bitch
Mar 24, 2009

Name 7 yob
Age 55 years young
Posts OVER 9000 XD
Drimble Wedge, why did you close that thread? People were responding to it and seemed interested. For my part, I don't see why we can't have discussions about feminism's relationship to the mystery genre, and I would have liked to hear your defense to what I thought were valid points about the genre. I mean, it did seem like you put a lot of effort into it. You also have no obligation to respond to me, as well, in the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Yes, you're right. I got a little sore. I didn't spend an hour typing all that up only to get accused of calling someone a self-righteous oval office (a noun I never used). I'll pry it back open and respond once I've cooled off a little. :)