Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

the yellow dart posted:

Cellphones are actually used extensively in both Iraq and Afghanistan as IED triggers mostly because of their ubiquitous nature in both countries and ease of use in IEDs.

In fact, they're so popular in the area that Apple has introduced a local model: iED. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notcreativeenough
Mar 8, 2010

by Fistgrrl

the yellow dart posted:

Cellphones are actually used extensively in both Iraq and Afghanistan as IED triggers mostly because of their ubiquitous nature in both countries and ease of use in IEDs. While you are right about the nature of cellphones, they are still used a lot in both conflicts despite countermeasures deployed against both RF and cellphone detonated IEDs.

Here is a decent article about some of the countermeasures employed:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/org/news/2005/050710-ied-jammers.htm

Terrorists also aren't known for having brains. Same goes for criminals. Often times both groups use means and methods that are counterprodutice and more costly to do what they want then other more reliable and cheaper methods.

Cell phones are quite common in Iraq there was a huge flood post invasion same goes for cheap nearly broken down cars . and hence would be used as remote detonators and improvised bombs since the other means of doing so aren't as available. Plus seeing someone with a cell phone in their hand isn't that unusual versus someone with what looks like a garage opener in their hands just standing around. Military squads are trained to look for the other methods such as wired detonation and what the people waiting to use them are doing.

Also a lot of people in the states think cell phone users locations are untraceable and the calls cannot be tapped when the means of doing both is built into the cell phone system. The issue was the local police and for a time 911 or other emergency services wasn't organized nor had the equipment to do so.

notcreativeenough fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 6, 2010

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

the yellow dart posted:

Cellphones are actually used extensively in both Iraq and Afghanistan as IED triggers mostly because of their ubiquitous nature in both countries and ease of use in IEDs. While you are right about the nature of cellphones, they are still used a lot in both conflicts despite countermeasures deployed against both RF and cellphone detonated IEDs.

Here is a decent article about some of the countermeasures employed:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/org/news/2005/050710-ied-jammers.htm

Interesting, thanks. Of course the next step is to design a trigger that goes off when it detects one of these jammers...

There was/is a conspiracy theory that the premature detonation of a number of IRA bombs, including the Enniskillen and Warrington bombings (which were notable for the lack of proper warning and hence decried even by many active republican terrorists) was a result of the South Armagh and Fermanagh brigades of the IRA (who were generally the most technically-advanced of the IRA cells) using dead-man triggers (which detonated when a signal was lost rather than when a positive signal was received), in response to the RUC and British Army using RF jammers on their vehicles (the theory being that obviously such triggers are much less reliable than positive ones, not that jamming itself actually caused the detonation).

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Interesting, thanks. Of course the next step is to design a trigger that goes off when it detects one of these jammers...

This wouldn't be very effective because the jammers work at a range which is probably not predictable by anyone, so in all likelihood it would trigger prematurely.

Maybe a modern phone's accelerometer could be used for making a shake trigger, but a heavy armoured column will make the road shake a long way off so it would need a double activation. Maybe using the camera to detect movement.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Nenonen posted:

This wouldn't be very effective because the jammers work at a range which is probably not predictable by anyone, so in all likelihood it would trigger prematurely.

Maybe a modern phone's accelerometer could be used for making a shake trigger, but a heavy armoured column will make the road shake a long way off so it would need a double activation. Maybe using the camera to detect movement.

I think we're probably overthinking it just a tad, of course - it's so much easier to just have someone overlooking the area trigger the explsives remotely by whatever means than to get into that.

I suppose the actual next step is likely a step backwards from electronic detonators altogether and back to wires (electic or trip) - unjammable, but of course much harder to hide.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

From what I know, wires are still used but it's harder to carry enough cable and then set up and conceal.

And drat it if we can't produce the most :science:tard solution for our Taliban friends!

notcreativeenough
Mar 8, 2010

by Fistgrrl

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I think we're probably overthinking it just a tad, of course - it's so much easier to just have someone overlooking the area trigger the explsives remotely by whatever means than to get into that.

I suppose the actual next step is likely a step backwards from electronic detonators altogether and back to wires (electic or trip) - unjammable, but of course much harder to hide.

They do use wires and a guy watching the area. That is what the soldiers are trained to look for.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Nenonen posted:

It would be so easy to troll them.

"My neighbour's son-in-law is currently at training with his National Guards unit, and an anti-terrorism expert Jack Bauer told them that Arabic speaking men wearing checkered scarves on their head were going from service station to another and buying ALL THE GASOLINE THEY COULD GET in Houston, Texas. According to CIA they send it via Canada to Iraq where the terrorists turn them into IED's! Pass this information on to everyone you know!"

:tinfoil:

This is why we need to support a PATRIOT TAX on gas! It's a small price to pay to make sure ARE TROOPS are safe from those raghead IEDs.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

quote:

Subject: Petition to President Obama

It is already impossible to live on Social Security alone. If the government gives benefits to 'illegal' aliens who have never contributed, where does that leave those of us who have paid into Social Security all our working lives?

As stated below, the Senate voted this week to allow 'illegal' aliens access to Social Security benefits. Attached is an opportunity to sign a petition that requires citizenship for eligibility to that social service.

Instructions are below. If you don't forward the petition and just stop it, we will lose all these names.

If you do not want to sign it, please just forward it to everyone you know.

Thank you!

To add your name, click on 'forward'. Address it to all of your email correspondents, add your name to the list and send it on.

When the petition hits 1,000, send it to comment@whitehouse.gov

PETITION for President Obama:

Dear Mr. President:

We, the undersigned, protest the bill that the Senate voted on recently which would allow illegal aliens to access our Social Security. We demand that you and all Congressional representatives require citizenship as a pre-requisite for social services in the United States.

We further demand that there not be any amnesty given to illegals, NO free services, no funding, no payments to and for illegal immigrants.

We are fed up with the lack of action about this matter and are tired of paying for services to illegals.

Obvious but
A.Illegal aliens arent up to vote to access social security
B.Haha internet petition

Stay crazy GOP.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

RagnarokAngel posted:

Obvious but
B.Haha internet petition

Stay crazy GOP.

I mean, protesting a gross misunderstanding or misrepresentation of a real event is one thing, but protesting something that never actually happened just makes my mind spin in circles. :psyduck:

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

Deuce posted:

I mean, protesting a gross misunderstanding or misrepresentation of a real event is one thing, but protesting something that never actually happened just makes my mind spin in circles. :psyduck:

Or did it? We're just asking questions and signing a petition IN CASE it did.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

RagnarokAngel posted:

Obvious but
B.Haha internet petition

Stay crazy GOP.

and C. Illegal Immigrants Are Bolstering Social Security With Billions. That they never get back because of fear of deportation. (Apologies for old article.)

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

quote:

So where are all the "Save the Gulf" concerts? Where are the TV Benefits
with celebrities and musicians giving heart felt speeches for the poor
fisherman, wildlife ,beaches, loss of income and sabotaged gulf
economy?I find it rather strange how these people (including
...our...own...government) are so quick to help Haiti and other countries
but sit on their @ss for this one. Just the facts. Post if you agree

Deadliest earthquake in the history of the poorest island in the world, killing 230,000, causing 300,000 injuries and making over a million homeless, completely destabilizing the country for many years to come?

Deadliest natural disaster in the history of the richest country in the world, causing a dozen deaths, an ecological crisis, and increasing the price of shrimp?

SAME. DIFFERENCE.

Also, I think they forgot Lenny Kravitz's benefit concert that already happened.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
There was a really bad storm in Ohio last week that devastated the area. You know what we're doing? We're gathering a bunch of local people and going to help out. I don't see any Haitians here offering their support. I'm just telling the truth. Forward this on if you agree with the truth.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

the posted:

Deadliest earthquake in the history of the poorest island in the world, killing 230,000, causing 300,000 injuries and making over a million homeless, completely destabilizing the country for many years to come?

Deadliest natural disaster in the history of the richest country in the world, causing a dozen deaths, an ecological crisis, and increasing the price of shrimp?

SAME. DIFFERENCE.

Also, I think they forgot Lenny Kravitz's benefit concert that already happened.

Some girl I knew growing up posted that on her facebook minus the "Post if you agree". I don't know whether it would be worse to have written it or to think it's clever enough to repost. Luckily they are getting the deposit back from their summer condo reservations. Maybe now we can truly begin the healing process.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Naet posted:

There was a really bad storm in Ohio last week that devastated the area. You know what we're doing? We're gathering a bunch of local people and going to help out. I don't see any Haitians here offering their support. I'm just telling the truth. Forward this on if you agree with the truth.

We didnt ask for $2,000 pre paid debit cards, we didnt beg for the coast guard to come then complain when they didn't...

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

RagnarokAngel posted:

I'm still trying to make sense of this but it sure seems to fit this thread!

I know I'm late to this party, and I know this retarded poo poo has been debunked, but I just had to chime in as a resident of rear end in a top hat, CA... I mean Fresno. There are absolutely no burka wearing muslims in this town (they'd be loving suicidal to, it's hot here), and the liquor store on Peach and Shaw is run by a punjabi indian family. Anyone living here with two brain cells to rub together would know this guy was full of poo poo.

Something that I've always wondered about these emails is why do they always have to lie? What is it about hardcore conservatives that think making poo poo up is perfectly acceptable? If their cause is so just and righteous, shouldn't it be able to stand on it's own merits? Why isn't this obvious to these people? For a group of people so stubborn and prideful, they seem willing to cast off all self respect and dignity at the drop of a hat, frothing at the mouth over some made up slight against their way of life. I just don't understand how someone can be so petty and pathetic.

yatagan
Aug 31, 2009

by Ozma

Duck_King posted:

There are absolutely no burka wearing muslims in this town (they'd be loving suicidal to, it's hot here)

Just out of curiosity, how would you describe the environments in which the burqa is most prominent today?

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
The difference being that this isn't a fundamentalist region, and if you had the option of donning a giant black ninja outfit or not in temperatures that have reached 115 degrees, I doubt any sane person would choose the former. I worked on what is probably the largest mosque in town, and not once have I seen a single person wearing a burka.

Duck_King fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jun 9, 2010

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

yatagan posted:

Just out of curiosity, how would you describe the environments in which the burqa is most prominent today?

The difference in the way heat feels (wet vs dry) in CA vs the Middle East is pretty large - moisture plays a huge role in making the heat uncomfortable. The more of your body covered in the Middle East the less likely you will be damaged by blowing sand which can be painful at times; the burqa is practical there where it would not be in CA.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Those women in the Middle East and Central Asia wear those things in public only, also.

Doctor Dope
Oct 4, 2005

timey-wimey fruity booty

the posted:

SAME. DIFFERENCE.

I've been seeing that on Facebook lately, and I pointed out the fact that Haiti made millions for U.S. companies with sweatshop labor for practically nothing in return, and that they deserved a goddamn break after years of anarchy and crushing poverty. Of course I got told to watch the slipperiness on my soapbox, because defending the poorest of the poor makes me an rear end in a top hat, apparently.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I don't know where else to put this but:

http://i.imgur.com/5cPMh.jpg

What the gently caress CNN?

Vastly Outnumbered
Dec 10, 2003

I received this earlier today from a friend I've known since pre-school. I wouldn't call it crazy so much as idiotic, but it's occurred to me that the only correspondence I receive from this person is these stupid goddamn e-mail forwards, and it's really beginning to wear thin.

Annoying Friend posted:

Dr. Seuss' Take on Obama

I do not like this Uncle Sam, I do not like his health care scam.
I do not like these dirty crooks, or how they lie and cook the books.
I do not like when Congress steals,
I do not like their secret deals.
I do not like this speaker Nan ,
I do not like this 'YES WE CAN'.
I do not like this spending spree,
I'm smart, I know that nothing's free,
I do not like your smug replies, when I complain about your lies.
I do not like this kind of hope.
I do not like it. nope, nope, nope!

Why form an opinion of your own, when you can just regurgitate someone else's snarky remarks and pass it on to your closest 90 friends?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I don't know where else to put this but:

http://i.imgur.com/5cPMh.jpg

What the gently caress CNN?

Haha I thought that was a photoshop.

Edit: I hate to turn this into a "D&Dest pics you got" thread but this has been going around:

Ah conservative "humor".

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

RagnarokAngel posted:

Haha I thought that was a photoshop.

Edit: I hate to turn this into a "D&Dest pics you got" thread but this has been going around:

Ah conservative "humor".

It's not in spanish. Dicks.

Vonnegut Asterisk
Apr 14, 2007

Brandon, you put Pat White down this instant young man!
God damnit Dad.

quote:

For those that don't know about history ... Here is a condensed version:

Humans originally existed as members of small bands of nomadic
hunters/gatherers. They lived on deer in the mountains during the summer and
would go to the coast and live on fish and lobster in the winter.

The two most important events in all of history were the invention of beer
and the invention of the wheel. The wheel was invented to get man to the
beer. These were the foundation of modern civilization and together were the
catalyst for the splitting of humanity into two distinct subgroups:

1 . Liberals, and
2. Conservatives.

Once beer was discovered, it required grain and that was the beginning of
agriculture. Neither the glass bottle nor aluminum can were invented yet, so
while our early humans were sitting around waiting for them to be invented,
they just stayed close to the brewery. That's how villages were formed.

Some men spent their days tracking and killing animals to BBQ at night while
they were drinking beer. This was the beginning of what is known as the
Conservative movement...

Other men who were weaker and less skilled at hunting learned to live off
the conservatives by showing up for the nightly BBQ's and doing the sewing,
fetching, and hair dressing. This was the beginning of the Liberal movement.

Some of these liberal men eventually evolved into women. They became known
as girlie-men. Some noteworthy liberal achievements include the
domestication of cats, the invention of group therapy, group hugs, and the
concept of Democratic voting to decide how to divide the meat and beer that
conservatives provided.

Over the years conservatives came to be symbolized by the largest, most
powerful land animal on earth, the elephant. Liberals are symbolized by the
jackass for obvious reasons.

Modern liberals like imported beer (with lime added), but most prefer white
wine or imported bottled water. They eat raw fish but like their beef well
done. Sushi, tofu, and French food are standard liberal fare.. Another
interesting evolutionary side note: most of their women have higher
testosterone levels than their men. Most social workers, personal injury
attorneys, journalists, dreamers in Hollywood and group therapists are
liberals. Liberals invented the designated hitter rule because it wasn't
fair to make the pitcher also bat.

Conservatives drink domestic beer, mostly Bud or Coors. They eat red meat
and still provide for their women. Conservatives are big game hunters, rodeo
cowboys, lumberjacks, construction workers, firemen, medical doctors, police
officers, engineers, corporate executives, athletes, members of the
military, airline pilots and generally anyone who works productively.
Conservatives who own companies hire other conservatives who want to work
for a living.

Liberals produce little or nothing. They like to govern the producers and
decide what to do with the production. Liberals believe Europeans are more
enlightened than Americans. That is why most of the liberals remained in
Europe when conservatives were coming to America . They crept in after the
Wild West was tamed and created a business of trying to get more for
nothing.

Here ends today's lesson in world history:

It should be noted that a Liberal may have a momentary urge to angrily
respond to the above before forwarding it.

A Conservative will simply laugh and be so convinced of the absolute truth
of this history that it will be forwarded immediately to other true
believers and to more liberals just to piss them off.

And there you have it.Let your next action reveal your true self, I'm going
to have another beer.

I started writing a lengthy response, but I eventually went the petty route.

"So since you've been unemployed for a year, does that make you a liberal?"

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Vonnegut Asterisk posted:

God damnit Dad.

I started writing a lengthy response, but I eventually went the petty route.

"So since you've been unemployed for a year, does that make you a liberal?"

:drat:

I'd say that's pretty cold to burn your dad like that, but when dude is spamming your inbox with this "conservative hunter gatherer/liberal non producer" crap and he's unemployed, well, he opened himself up for it. So.. Good show.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
That is why most of the liberals remained in Europe when conservatives were coming to America.

This is the best thing I've read in months.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

quote:

Some of these liberal men eventually evolved into women.
So, my girlfriend is actually just a really liberal, evolved man? Huh.

What about conservative women, will the likes of Sarah Palin devolve back into males?

I've gotta say, this does explain a few Republican episodes.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

RagnarokAngel posted:

One of the (very peripheral) problems I have with this: why the gently caress is the "Attention illegal immigrants" in quotes?

Obvious attempt to anger (liberal) people.

Most of this doesn't bother me. It's obvious fishing for heated responses and is typical conservative "humor", characteristically coupled with the scary idea that people might actually believe this Glenn Beck-inspired view of history. What actually does piss me off to no end is the comment about imported beer. Yeah, gently caress with history all you want conservatives, but don't you loving dare attack good beer. Most of it isn't even "imported". And the poo poo with lime and oranges added to the glass was made up by Blue Moon, owned by tada, Molson Coors. FYI Bud and Coors, and all the macros, aren't even all American-owned companies. Who add loving rice and corn to beer. Crafts and microbrewers are also great entrepreneurial small businesses. So what the gently caress conservatives, what the gently caress.

Guess I got roped into an angry response anyway. Your response was great Vonnegut, a real :iceburn: . Sorry your dad sucks.

\/\/\/\/\/\/ hahahahaha yeah.

Logan 5 fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jun 10, 2010

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Logan 5 posted:

What actually does piss me off to no end is the comment about imported beer. Yeah, gently caress with history all you want conservatives, but don't you loving dare attack good beer. Most of it isn't even "imported". And the poo poo with lime and oranges added to the glass was made up by Blue Moon, owned by tada, Molson Coors. FYI Bud and Coors, and all the macros, aren't even all American-owned companies. Who add loving rice and corn to beer. Crafts and microbrewers are also great entrepreneurial small businesses. So what the gently caress conservatives, what the gently caress.

I'm sure you know this but this is :goonsay: as gently caress. I mean wow. All those words about American beer.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
So, liberals invented Democracy? That means we also invented freedom. :smug:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Logan 5 posted:

One of the (very peripheral) problems I have with this: why the gently caress is the "Attention illegal immigrants" in quotes?

If you disagree, just delete. :colbert:

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Vonnegut Asterisk's dad posted:

A Conservative will simply laugh and be so convinced of the absolute truth
of this history that it will be forwarded immediately to other true
believers and to more liberals just to piss them off.

This is my favorite bit. Lately, I've noticed a lot of FWD:FWD:FWD-type emails and conspiracy theories throw around the word "truth" like it adds more weight to their arugment. If you call them out on their bullshit, well, you're just too stupid to see the "truth", whether that being Obama's a communist or aliens are trying to overthrow Canada.

So basically, people who use the word truth way too much tend to either be stupid or insane. Usually both. :v:

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

quote:

They eat raw fish but like their beef well done.
Liberals don't eat meat! Factory farming and overfishing ruin the environment! A true stereotypical liberal would die before he'd eat anything that wasn't organically grown and (minimally) processed within 30 miles of his current location. Preferably, the food would be provided by gay black disabled Native Americans, but you can't be too picky about your food.:colbert:

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

God damnit Dad.

Haha, that's one I received back in high school from my military buddies that got kicked out of basic for being too fat. Still pretty funny.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

The Ugly Duchess posted:

Preferably, the food would be provided by gay black disabled Native Americans, but you can't be too picky about your food.:colbert:

They use every part! :eng101:

Ruckby
Aug 25, 2009

quote:

New Element Discovered!

The densest element in the known Universe has been found!

Pelosium:

A major research institution has just announced the discovery of the densest element yet known to science. The new element has been named Pelosium. Pelosium has one neutron, 12 assistant neutrons, 75 deputy neutrons, and 224 assistant deputy neutrons, giving it an atomic mass of 311.

These particles are held together by dark forces called morons, which are surrounded by vast quantities of lepton-like particles called peons. The symbol of Pelosium is PU.

Pelosium's mass actually increases over time, as morons randomly interact with various elements in the atmosphere and become assistant deputy neutrons within the Pelosium molecule, leading to the formation of isodopes.

This characteristic of moron-promotion leads some scientists to believe that Pelosium is formed whenever morons reach a certain quantity in concentration. This hypothetical quantity is referred to as Critical Morass.

When catalyzed with money, Pelosium activates CNNadnausium, an element that radiates orders of magnitude more energy, albeit as incoherent noise, since it has half as many peons but twice as many morons as Pelosium.

Haha, I'm a chemist so the one part I got really mad about was the "PU" designation since the second letter is never capitalized and Pu is already plutonium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Ruckby posted:

Haha, I'm a chemist so the one part I got really mad about was the "PU" designation since the second letter is never capitalized and Pu is already plutonium.

I saw PU and though polyurethane.

Then I realized that it was a conservative writing about science and facepalmed.