Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
Cycle Asylum: Couture for the fashion conscious motorcyclist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Engine braking is supposed to be massive in 1st and huge in 2nd. In any other gear it should be at least enough to make you ignore signs that say "downhill, low gear" and stay on the gas.

Oh and if you can't blip hard and clutch smoothly down to 1st you're a scrub.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

One bike is red, and the other is zebra.

Wonder if you could make a set of leathers out of this? :v:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Ola posted:

Engine braking is supposed to be massive in 1st and huge in 2nd. In any other gear it should be at least enough to make you ignore signs that say "downhill, low gear" and stay on the gas.

Oh and if you can't blip hard and clutch smoothly down to 1st you're a scrub.

My F4i was completely different - little to no engine braking. I think it has to do with the 6R being stock exhaust with the exhaust pressure valve and timing retard in lower gears; the F4i had a power commander, full Akra, and air filter. Maybe my memory sucks, but it's pretty substantial.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Boat posted:

Wonder if you could make a set of leathers out of this? :v:

don't give becky any ideas

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I'm never going to buy anything in burgundy! What the hell are you smoking.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
Didnae coordinate it at all, but every single piece of gear I own is black. I'm an odd shape (yay for tall and thin), so the over-riding concern when buying kit is if the drat stuff fits. If it fits well, and fills the need of whatever I'm looking for, I buy it.

Unfortunately, my bike is black and grey, and so it might look like I aimed for everything the same colour.

The most horrorific example of colour matching was encountered outside a bike shop in Stoke. First couple A, man and women, both with matching red leathers, on a red sportsbike (think it was a CBR). Right next to them, couple B, another man and woman, both wearing matching blue leathers, on a blue sportsbike.

I can't empthasize exactly how much these colours matched, it was like the got the bike painted using the colour swatches from the leathers.

My first thought was "if they crash, do they base their bike buying criteria on the colour?".

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

KARMA! posted:

I'm never going to buy anything in burgundy! What the hell are you smoking.

The PO of my GS550 had a matching "UJM Maroon" helmet, it was spectacular.

Orange Someone posted:

The most horrorific example of colour matching was encountered outside a bike shop in Stoke. First couple A, man and women, both with matching red leathers, on a red sportsbike (think it was a CBR). Right next to them, couple B, another man and woman, both wearing matching blue leathers, on a blue sportsbike.

I want to see a chinese fire drill at a light and mix up the colors, lol.

Lancek
May 31, 2007
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

UserNotFound posted:

I want to see a chinese fire drill at a light and mix up the colors, lol.

I did this this morning with a coworker :smug:

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
I wish to god I could get matching pants for my jacket.

I might head to my local golf store.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thats actually really cool looking. I'm surprised they dont sell a matching bottom half.

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
Sad news from the TT over the last two days, 2 deaths in the Supersport 2 race on Thursday, Martin Loicht and Paul Dobbs, after 2 weeks of virtually crash free racing.

And today the Senior superbike race was red flagged on the third lap after Guy Martin stuffed his bike into the saftey bales at around 150-160mph at Glen Vine, setting them and the nearby bushes on fire. Luckily he's somehow managed to get away from it with bruised lungs, and minor fractures to the top section of his spine. Clearly pushing from the start with 130mph laps, he was trading 1st and 2nd all the way, and ended up only 0.1sec behind 1st before his crash.

Connor Cummins, the local Manxman, again pushing it, and trading 2nd and 3rd looking for a win, came off during the restarted race in the afternoon at the Verandah section on the mountain, the 4 flat out right handers before the bungalow section. Again, luckily he got away with only arm and leg injuries.

:(

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

the dragon on the side of my helmet is gold, the lion on the side of my bike is reddish orange. Does that count for coordination?

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Someone please convince me that an XR1200 is a terrible idea because otherwise I might do something really stupid in a couple months once my record clears up a bit more.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Pinny posted:

Sad news from the TT over the last two days, 2 deaths in the Supersport 2 race on Thursday, Martin Loicht and Paul Dobbs, after 2 weeks of virtually crash free racing.

And today the Senior superbike race was red flagged on the third lap after Guy Martin stuffed his bike into the saftey bales at around 150-160mph at Glen Vine, setting them and the nearby bushes on fire. Luckily he's somehow managed to get away from it with bruised lungs, and minor fractures to the top section of his spine. Clearly pushing from the start with 130mph laps, he was trading 1st and 2nd all the way, and ended up only 0.1sec behind 1st before his crash.

Connor Cummins, the local Manxman, again pushing it, and trading 2nd and 3rd looking for a win, came off during the restarted race in the afternoon at the Verandah section on the mountain, the 4 flat out right handers before the bungalow section. Again, luckily he got away with only arm and leg injuries.

:(

Unfortunate, but they know the risks better than anyone else. Godspeed to those guys, racing what seems like pretty much the last real road race left in the world. The IOM is one of those things that everyone should see before it gets legislated out of existence...

XR1200, like all other Harleys, is a great bike as long as you're riding on your own, you don't have some other human being on a supersport to keep up with, and you're just looking for something that looks awesome, is pretty reliable, and not the most insane performer in the world.

Now watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1wKDuAJiGw

And I'll be down to visit when you buy one.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
You didn't do a very good job of convincing me that its a terrible idea. In fact, you just convinced me further that its a great idea.

I rode one a couple years back and really liked it and really dig the looks. After riding a KLR for almost a year, I want something cool looking again and truth be told, I'm too lazy to ride the KLR the way I intended to when I first bought it. That and there's way too much fuckign superslab to ride to get anywhere and superslabbing on the KLR makes me want to beat myself with its chain.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

redscare posted:

You didn't do a very good job of convincing me that its a terrible idea. In fact, you just convinced me further that its a great idea.

I rode one a couple years back and really liked it and really dig the looks. After riding a KLR for almost a year, I want something cool looking again and truth be told, I'm too lazy to ride the KLR the way I intended to when I first bought it.

Honestly, I'd be strongly tempted to buy one myself if they were cheap. Then I'd dump thousands into modding it, because I'm a loving retard like that, but I think that it'd be an awesome all arounder for city use, twisties, if you wanted something that wouldn't get you arrested every time you wanted to play. It makes about the sweet spot of power, IMO, and if you wanted to start building the engine there's no shortage of resources there either. Plus you could strip it down and make it look like this:

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
I hope HD extends the 1% financing deal they have going right now to at least sometime in the fall. Come September, I should be making a bit more money, have a roommate, and no accidents on my record and well oh god I'm spending money I haven't earned yet

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006

Z3n posted:

Unfortunate, but they know the risks better than anyone else. Godspeed to those guys, racing what seems like pretty much the last real road race left in the world. The IOM is one of those things that everyone should see before it gets legislated out of existence...

Exactly. As Guy Martin says "if your not crashing, your not trying hard enough".

Both Guy and Connor have been chasing a win since last saturday, with Connor only losing out thanks to a wrecked gearbox/clutch on saturdays superbike race, and Guy being docked 30seconds for speeding in the pit lane, 60km/h limit and he was clocked at 60.112km/h, dropping him from 2nd to 5th.

The crashes have just brought a bit of a sombre end to an excellent 2 weeks of racing.

In other news though, Ian Hutchinson has won all 5 races and got his name in the history books. That man deserves it, he's so fast on the mountain section no one could catch him without risking a crash, ala Connor Cummins.

I'd really recommend getting a hold of the TV shows that ITV4 have been showing over the last week if you can, there's some awesome footage this year.

EDIT: ITV have the shows on they're online player, not sure if they'll be available outside the UK though: http://www.itv.com/itvplayer/video/?Filter=150480

Pinny fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 11, 2010

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Honestly, if the XR1200 were a bit cheaper and I didn't have the DRZ, I'd get one.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

redscare posted:

If it makes you feel any better I sat on one and it felt like a giant piece of poo poo, shoddily made, nasty feel, poo poo brakes, poo poo suspension, poo poo sounding exhaust note.

Looks cool though so, +1.

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006

Click here for the full 648x480 image.

The remains of Guy Martin's bike after the crash

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Its just a little crispy, its still good, its still good!

Is there anything on that bike that wasn't damage? drat.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Spiffness posted:

If it makes you feel any better I sat on one and it felt like a giant piece of poo poo, shoddily made, nasty feel, poo poo brakes, poo poo suspension, poo poo sounding exhaust note.

Looks cool though so, +1.

If only it had a Ducati logo on the side.

Then it'd be "comfortably large, made with character, unique feel, newb friendly brakes, compliant suspension, and just begging for an exhaust". AND IT LOOKS COOL ON TOP OF THAT.

:v:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Z3n posted:

It would also be $22,000, which makes it a status symbol, which makes it awesome. So gently caress you buddy.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Z3n posted:

If only it had a Ducati logo on the side.

Then it'd be "comfortably large, made with character, unique feel, newb friendly brakes, compliant suspension, and just begging for an exhaust". AND IT LOOKS COOL ON TOP OF THAT.

Yeah, but you'd quickly get tired of people asking if its broken

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Pinny posted:

Click here for the full 648x480 image.

The remains of Guy Martin's bike after the crash

One day I hope to be fast enough that when I crash I can break the rear wheel out of the tire completely too. Jesus.

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
General thoughts seem to be that the wheel's either disintegrated, or exploded at some point.

From what little info is out there at the moment, it seems the rider parted ways with the bike before it hit the 'safety' bales, he skidded into/through a bush, and ended up in someone's garden. Word from some of the marshall's is that if he'd have hit the bales or any of the many walls at that section he would not have been long for this world.

Lucky isn't even the word for it.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

frozenphil posted:

One day I hope to be fast enough that when I crash I can break the rear wheel out of the tire completely too. Jesus.

Oh its easy to do that. Living to tell the tale, now that's the hard part.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

redscare posted:

Yeah, but you'd quickly get tired of people asking if its broken

Sounds broken VS actually being broken. Clacka clacka

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I sat on a Multistrada 1200 today. The fucker is feels like they built it specifically for me. It's absofuckinglutely a perfect fit. I'm in trouble. :ohdear:

DUCATI!!!! :doom:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Mom found out about my motorcycle today... After the MSF she told me not to tell her if I ever decided to buy one, but low and behold, Mr. Pinkslip decided to show up today. She was "loving LIVID" and hung up on me :(

I still love my sv though

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Well, YOU didn't tell her. The state of California did.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

She's over it now, motorcycle loving dad had a chat with her.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
XR1200s are cool, as long as you de cruiser it

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Z3n posted:

XR1200, like all other Harleys, is a great bike as long as you're riding on your own, you don't have some other human being on a supersport to keep up with, and you're just looking for something that looks awesome, is pretty reliable, and not the most insane performer in the world.

I was going to make a joke about the XR being a 600 lb standard. But then I thought that it couldn't possibly weigh that much. I was right, the specs at the end of the video showed 250 kilos (551 lbs). God drat!

:ughh:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
On a scale from 1-10 how shameful is it to not let on that your 'crotch rocket' is a 250? She was on one of those huge Suzuki scooters. Is the fact that she was a cute redhead any defense?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
A cute redhead? You let her believe you ride whatever she wants you to ride.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

In Soviet Russia, cute redhead rides you :ussr:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR

Bad Munki posted:

In Soviet Russia, cute redhead rides you :ussr:

But she was already asking about his crotch rocket...