Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

meanmikhail posted:

4. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid/The Sting- Newman and Redford were a hell of a team...so I hear, but I've seen neither of their movies together.

The Sting is way better than Butch Cassidy, which hasn't aged well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The Sting is way better than Butch Cassidy, which hasn't aged well.

Whenever I catch THE STING on TV I have to sit through the rest of it, no matter what I was doing. I usually catch it on the train poker sequence. If I had watched my movie already, I would totally recommend that one to meanmikhail.

Speaking of...sitting down to my movie right now. Shame begone!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
He should watch it anyways. :v:

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
meanmikhail: watch The Sting. Yes, I'm just going along with what the people above me said (although it is an awesome movie).

Watched Pink Flamingos. Hahaha, holy poo poo, it was crazy as hell and really loving hilarious.

Updated list:
The Idiots - I'm a big Von Trier fan, but I still haven't seen this one (or any of his early ones other than The Element of Crime)

The Piano Teacher - I love the Haneke films I've seen (Cache and White Ribbon and I even liked both Funny Games)

Z - Been meaning to see this one for quite a while

Fitzcarraldo - Working my way through Herzog and haven't gotten to this one yet. Plan on following it with Burden of Dreams

Downfall - This one's supposed to be pretty good and I've seen a couple of other Hirschbiegel movies so why not.

Welcome to the Dollhouse - I've never seen anything by Solondz and one of my friends occassionally bothers me about watching his movies so I guess this is a place to start.

Babel - I've seen Amores perros and this one's gotten some really good (and some less good) reactions

Scenes from a Marriage - One of the big Bergmans I haven't seen. The 5 hour version definitely scares me.

Breathless
Pink Flamingos
Do the Right Thing - Haven't really seen any Spike Lee movies.

Audition - Never really watched anything by Miike, but I'm willing to give him a chance

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

dotCommunism posted:

Do the Right Thing - Haven't really seen any Spike Lee movies.

Well, now you will. It's a great snapshot of the 1990s with perfect casting.

Yoshifan823 posted:

Vorpal Bunny, you sir, are lucky, because I happen to be a huge fan of musicals. You sir, shall watch The Music Man (my personal favorite musical, even if you didn't mention it). If we're playing "Stick to the List", watch Singin' in the Rain. I'm not mean enough to subject you to the boredom that you'll suffer from watching Sound of Music.

I watched The Music Man this afternoon. It was on cable in HD a few days ago and I DVR'd it. I am shamed it took me so long to watch the movie, even after it was recommended, but it's a delightful musical if a little long (2 1/2 hours). I only really knew Robert Preston from THE LAST STARFIGHTER before this.

I'd heard some of the songs before. The piano-scales song, that was parodied on Family Guy, right? I knew I had heard it somewhere before, just couldn't put my finger on it until now.

I loved the opening scene on the train (I watched it twice!) very clever and engaging. It's funny to hear all these songs I have heard randomly over the years (76 Trombones, Gary Indiana, Trouble, Til There Was You) in their original context.

A few nitpicks:

1) the conductor says smoking is illegal in Iowa, but one of the first stores Hill passes is a cigar/smoking supplies shop.

2) Hill's whole purpose is to bring music to this small town, yet the whole town breaks into song every ten minutes. I thought that was amusing.

3) It's a shame the cameras weren't steadier back then. There are a handful of shots following a big dance sequence where the camera wobbles on its track. It's rather distracting.

Overall, I liked it, though I just don't think musicals are my thing. Thanks for recommending this one, though.

VorpalBunny posted:

My shameful list:

1) Casablanca - I watched it once halfway through on a plane and never went back. I know I would love it, I had it on DVD for a while, but I just never got around to it.

2) Vertigo - I've tried watching the film twice, and fell asleep both times about 30 minutes in. I usually love Hitchcock films, but the pacing on this one just gets me every time.

3) Goodfellas - after all the talk in the TVIV thread on Community and the great homage to the film, I meant to add it to my Netflix queue, but my list is rather full and I'll see it eventually.

4) Errol Flynn's Robin Hood - I just got crap for this over the weekend. It has just never been something I considered a must-see, until I was told otherwise.

5) The Sound of Music, Singin In the Rain, and musicals in general - I just can't get into them.
5) Flesh+Blood by Verhoeven. I like his other stuff, for the most part, I just never got around to watching this. I should probably also rewatch Robocop since I saw it once as a kid and never really got much more than awesome violence out of it. I would accept this double-feature as a recommendation. :)

6) The Outlaw Josey Wales, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, Once Upon a Time in the West, and westerns in general - I like the few westerns I have seen, but I've just been slow to catch up.

7) Lawrence of Arabia - I'm waiting to catch this one in 70mm on the big screen. The American Cinematheque shows it every other month, so I'll catch it one of these days.

8) Modern Times - I haven't seen most of Chaplin's work. I found myself to be more a fan of Buster Keaton, but I know I must see some of Chaplin's major work.

9) Shaft - I saw the remake, but never saw the original. I'm curious about the blaxploitation genre, especially since I loved Black Dynamite.

10) City of God - I just imagine this will be pretty hard to watch.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The problem with a lot of film musicals (like The Music Man) is that what's possible and obvious on-stage (a town full of stuck-ups bursting into song) seems weird and unfitting on film. It also hurts that sometimes the directors just weren't sure how to bridge that gap, so they amped up the goofiness (CHICKENS LOL). However, sometimes it works and you get a great number like Marian The Librarian or Trouble where the concept, cinematography, music, and story come together.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

VorpalBunny posted:

Well, now you will. It's a great snapshot of the 1990s with perfect casting.

Presciently released in 1989, even!

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Voodoofly posted:

Presciently released in 1989, even!

Ok, late 1980s-early 1990s vibe. Sheesh.

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

WHAT DID YOUR FATHER TEACH YOU?
Alright, VorpalBunny, go watch Goodfellas

Just finished watching Annie Hall, and I was hooked within the first five minutes. I found it completely charming and easy to relate to. I take back every mean thing I've said about Woody Allen and don't even mind admitting how wrong I was about not liking him, because he's absolutely genius. I wasn't sure at first about the constant breaking of the fourth wall, but I thought it was definitely in keeping with how neurotic Alvy is (and Allen himself, probably).

One of my favorite shots was when Alvy and Rob are walking down the street, but they start off on the other end of the block and around the corner. You hear their dialogue long before you actually see them on screen. I loved it. My favorite scene was definitely the spider in the bathroom, because if I did live alone, I would do the same drat thing.

So yeah, overall, being compared to Annie Hall - not an insult.

1. A Fistful of Dollars or For a Few Dollars More I hated westerns when I was younger. Funnily enough the one that changed my mind was The Good, The Bad and The Ugly Still not sure why I haven't seen the first two.

2. Braveheart Just, I dunno, it's Mel Gibson?

3. It's A Wonderful Life Or really anything with Jimmy Stewart that isn't Harvey, Rear Window or The Man Who Knew Too Much Just recently found out that I love Jimmy Stewart, and he's in so many good movies it's kind of overwhelming.

4. The Conformist Just recently found out about this movie, and it has not yet made it up my Netflix.

5. The Night of the Hunter Again, no good reason.

6. Vertigo. I've seen enough Hitchcock that it would take up too much space to list the ones I have seen, but not enough that I can list all the ones I haven't so I'll just start with this one.

7. The Grapes of Wrath I guess I really had no appreciation for the old time masters until the last year or so. I'm sorry.

8. The African Queen Once again, no good reason.

9. The Rules of the Game Honestly never even heard of this film.

10. The Seven Samurai My brother is in love with this movie, so I've seen bits and pieces of it, but never the whole thing start to finish.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall

edit:

FitFortDanga posted:

:viggo: fourth wall
:ohdear: I can't believe I missed that.

tokillthesunflower fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 11, 2010

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Cailin Rua, go watch Vertigo, it satisfies your Hitchcock and Jimmy Stewart needs.

Neotpravlennoye pismo: :aaaaa: Holy loving hell, what an absolutely stunning film. Visually it's almost on par with The Cranes are Flying as one of the best examples of black and white cinematography I've ever seen. Not only is it beautiful, but the visuals always fit what's going on in the story, and that synergy translates into an absolutely captivating experience. The Soviet allegory is obvious but not blunt at all and easily applicable to the broader human experience. I can't praise this enough, I'm so glad I saw it and so sad it doesn't have a release in the U.S. so more people could watch it.

Updated list:
Greed and Napoleon 4 hour silents, I wonder why I haven't seen them? Also, trying to figure out which version to watch is a good excuse to put off watching them.

Those are the only two films in the TSPDT top 150 I haven't seen.

Satantango Hey there's maybe a pattern in the films I haven't seen.

Berlin Alexanderplatz This is longer than the above and unlike those I'm less confident I'll like it.

The Burmese Harp and Fires on the Plain I've owned these for like 2 years but fear they'll depress me.

A Passage to India I love the three Lean epics I've seen, Lawrence, Bridge and Zhivago, but this one I've just never bothered to watch for no good reason other than it's almost 3 hours.

Yi-Yi All I know about this is that it's one of the highest regarded films of the past 10 years, it's Chinese and it's 3 hours long.

In a Year of 13 Moons I just watched Petra von Kant on Sunday and it made me realize I've only seen 3 Fassbinder films and need to check out more of his work. This should be a lot less daunting than Berlin Alexanderplatz.

Soy Cuba Well gently caress, I need to see more Kalatozov and this is probably his most renowned film. I've put it off because I'd heard the propaganda was too blunt, but at this point I don't care.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Cailin Rua posted:

I wasn't sure at first about the constant breaking of the third wall

:viggo: fourth wall

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Soy Cuba Well gently caress, I need to see more Kalatozov and this is probably his most renowned film. I've put it off because I'd heard the propaganda was too blunt, but at this point I don't care.

Yeah, story-wise it's nowhere near as good as Cranes or The Letter Never Sent but the camerawork is loving amazing. I really want to see more films shot by Urusevskty.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

So, when are you going to get around to watching Shrek?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

So, when are you going to get around to watching Shrek?

I'm still waiting for it. I didn't want to use a Netflix slot for it, so I put it on hold at the library. I'm currently #7 in line, but they have 21 copies so it shouldn't be too much longer.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Finally watched Blowup and am I ever pissed that I'm just now getting around to it. First and foremost, I love the aesthetics of the '60s, specifically the superficial fashion world. David Hemmings was great, he seemed at times disconnected and bemused, which worked well. I love the use of photography as a plot device, it's just really neat to watch(and worked better as an element of the plot than sound recording did in Blow Out). It's definitely a movie I'm going to have fun discussing with friends, especially the ending.

Peaceful Anarchy, watch A Passage to India, because everybody needs more Alec Guinness in their lives.

Revised list(with replacements):

1.The Night of the Hunter - I really don't know why I haven't seen this yet, it appears to have everything I love in a movie, but I guess I've heard so much about it over the years I already "know" it.

2.8 1/2 - It's embarassing, I've just never gotten around to it.

3.The Wild Bunch - I've seen the very opening and bits and pieces of it on TV, all of it's been interesting though

4.Ikiru - I wish I had more Kurosawa under my belt, and this one's always sounded interesting to me
The King of Comedy - I think it's the only Scorsese flick I haven't seen

5.Blow-Up - again, probably haven't seen it because I know so much about it already
An American Werewolf in London - There's no excuse for this, it seems like the perfect type of horror movie for me

6.Cinema Paradiso - I tried finding it a few years ago, failed, and gave up. I haven't sought it out in a long time
Scenes From a Marriage - I'm light in my Bergman area and this is getting a lot of playing in the Consensus thread, so I'm adding it here

7.Paris, Texas - I've just been underexposed to this movie and hadn't really heard much about it

8.Point Blank - Again, underexposure... a friend saw it and loved it a few months ago and it's been bugging me since

9.Mystic River - The actors intrigued me but nothing I heard about the story did it for me, plus I heard a lot of lukewarm reviews

10.Ghandi - Sorry, Ben Kingsley

LesterGroans fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 11, 2010

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

LesterGroans, I'm gonna throw a curve ball here and give you what's probably the least canonized movie on your list, but one of my longtime personal favorites: An American Werewolf in London. Enjoy!

In The Mood For Love Love love love love love love love love love. Beautiful. So many mirrors! Every shot moved so fluidly and the editing was so smooth, the whole middle hour basically felt like one long montage.

New List:

Trouble in Paradise/ any Lubitsch No excuse.

Shadows No excuse. I loved Woman Under the Influence. Also I love Charles Mingus. So I really don't know what the gently caress's wrong with me.

The Red Shoes I'm scared of musicals

Black Orpheus No excuse.

La Dolce Vita Loved 8 1/2, was all set to watch this, then I watched and hated La Strada so I gave up.

The Grand Illusion I even own the fucker and I haven't watched it yet.

All That Heaven Allows No excuse

Mr. Hulot's Holiday Tried to watch it - DVD was broken.

The Departed Just doesn't look that good.

Blow Up Again, no excuse.

penismightier fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 11, 2010

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

penismightier, watch La Dolce Vita. I haven't seen it myself, but I had exactly the same experience as you: loved 8 1/2, didn't really like La Strada, don't know where I stand on Fellini. Now you can find out for me!

Finally watched The Godfather. The cinematography was beautiful and I appreciate that it kept a consistent tone, but it got a little boring near the end. Great performances, and I enjoyed the "epic" feel, but I liked Goodfellas way more when it comes to gangster films. Still, I can see why it's considered THE GREATEST FILM OF ALL TIME and I was not disappointed.

MY SHAMEFUL LIST

1. The Godfather
The Godfather, Part II
This seems like the logical choice. I'm curious to see if what many people call "the better film" is, in fact, better. I'm not in any rush to see it though.

2. Schindler's List
Something about this has always rubbed me the wrong way. The few clips I've seen have made the film seem manipulative as hell. Basically, I don't want the theater/my mom's basement to get all dusty with the feeling that I've been tricked. I've also never been a huge Spielberg fan (he does do his job well, though).

3. Goodfellas
3. Breathless
I thought I was more of Godard-person than a Truffaut-person until I saw The 400 Blows. Everyone gushes over this one, so I guess Jean-Luc has another chance to win me over. Unfortunately, I'm pretty fickle with French New Wave films because none of them have really blown me away. Could this be different?

4. A Clockwork Orange
My dad is a huge Kubrick fan, so when he lent me his collection a few years ago, I finally got to seeing stuff like Dr. Strangelove and 2001. He didn't like A Clockwork Orange when he saw it in theaters and so he never bothered buying it. I know so much about this film already from popular culture (mostly The Simpsons) that I haven't felt the need to seek out a copy. Apparently it's still shocking today; I'm afraid I'll just be underwhelmed and/or disgusted.

5. 12 Angry Men
I think I saw this when I was 4. Nevertheless, I've yet to see it since I've developed basic analytical skills. I know the premise but I'm clueless about specific scenes or characters. It's been floating around my Netflix queue and my various "check this out" lists, but it's never piqued my curiosity. Someone convince me that this old movie is great!

6. Casablanca
I've read essays that break this film apart scene by scene, and I've seen countless parodies. Why should I even bother seeing it now? I don't feel like I would gain anything from watching this, other than the smug satisfaction that I saw yet another "important movie."

7. North by Northwest
I know about the corn maze scene, and that's about it. I like Hitchcock and I like Cary Grant. I even have the DVD at my house. I don't understand. What's stopping me? I really want to know why a plane would chase Cary Grant in a corn maze, dammit.

8. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
I haven't seen a lot of great westerns, but this is probably the biggest offender. I remember watching the great opening credits sequence, then realizing how long the movie was and shutting it off because I couldn't make the commitment. Having only seen classic westerns from the 50s and earlier and modern westerns from the 90s and later, I'm very interested to see how Leone plays with the genre. I've tried to have "western marathons" and this has always been high on the list, but they've never panned out.

9. Aguirre: The Wrath of God
I don't know why I never heard about this in film school. Come to think of it, Herzog has always been an enigma to me. I've only seen Fitzcarraldo and I've wanted to see his other films. I guess I just assume this one will be a boring but beautiful European "thinking" film and I haven't been in that mindset in a while.

10. The Incredibles
Friends always recommend this to me. I've seen bits and pieces from when I worked at a movie theater. I'm in my early twenties and I get the feeling that this film is best enjoyed by people either slightly younger or slightly older. Then again, it's also Pixar, so what am I waiting for?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Oh god why did I list a movie that's 174 minutes long? I have the attention span of a gnat. I max out at like 75 minutes.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

penismightier posted:

Oh god why did I list a movie that's 174 minutes long? I have the attention span of a gnat. I max out at like 75 minutes.

I split Godfather into two; a friend told me the best place to pause when Michael is in Italy, and I ate dinner and went for a walk.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
You have a lot of good films on that list thegloaming so it's difficult to pick only one. I'll recommend The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly though because it's one of my top-5 favourite films.

Well, I actually watched two films from my list. I watched Manhattan, and the one picked for me, Singin' in the Rain.

Manhattan was really good. I thought the choice to shoot it in black and white was a great. I did find it weird that no one really seemed to care about Allen's character dating a 17-year old, and I kept waiting for the scene where someone would be incredibly creeped out by it.

I was surprised that I enjoyed Singin' in the Rain. This movie didn't change my mind about musicals, so I doubt I am going to watch Glee anytime soon, but I thought it was a fun film that I could watch over and over. I don't know what to feel about some of the songs they did, particularly the one at the end -- I felt it went on too long for my tastes. Other then that, a fantastic film.

quote:

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey: I have seen most of Kubrick's films, and the only one that I haven't loved was A Clockwork Orange. The only thing keeping me away from 2001 is the length of the movie, and that some people have called it boring. I have watched Moon recently, and really enjoyed that, so I would imagine that I would like this too.

2. The Godfather: Part II:
2. Singin' in the Rain:
2. Blade Runner: This seems like something I should have already watched.

3. Raiders of the Lost Ark: I have never had an interest in Indiana Jones. I think I may have seen this film as a kid, or maybe it was one of the other ones. Either way, the only thing stopping me from watching this is my own disinterest.

4. Monty Python and the Holy Grail:
4. Ran: I have yet to watch a Kurosawa film I disliked.

5. Citizen Kane:
5. Manhattan:
5. Casablanca: I never had an interest in watching this.

6. Do the Right Thing: I have seen a few Spike Lee films, and I have been constantly underwhelmed. I just never got the amount of praise the 25th Hour got, when I felt it was a decent movie with an embarrassing monologue by Ed Norton in the middle.

7. Rear Window: I am only avoiding this because of the Simpsons episode. I have seen that episode so many times, that I feel like the film would be similar. I know that's a stupid way of looking at things, but oh well.

8. The Shawshank Redemption: There has been a copy of this movie in my household since I was a child. I don't know why I haven't watched this.

9. Once Upon a Time in the West:
9. Some Like it Hot: Apparently this is a funny comedy. I like Jack Lemmon, but the idea of two guys in drag stretched for an entire film doesn't do it for me. Either way, this seems like a movie I should watch just to see if my preconceptions were correct.

10. Star Wars V: The Empire Strikes Back:
10. Jaws: I could swear that I have seen the beginning, and the ending of this -- but I haven't seen the middle. I should probably get around to watching this as a complete film.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
drat, some of you guys are champs about this. I just got Godfather part 2 in the mail, and it'll still be a while because I want to watch the first one again.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Slvbarek posted:

drat, some of you guys are champs about this. I just got Godfather part 2 in the mail, and it'll still be a while because I want to watch the first one again.

The joys of summer vacation and another summer of part-time work :(.

mid
Aug 2, 2002

Bang.
I feel like joining in because it's the weekend and I feel like I could power through one of these. I have sort of a mixed bag of movies that I have seen so there are still a lot of classics that I haven't seen.

That said, Twin Cinema, I am going to recommend Rear Window in hopes that you can get past that episode of The Simpsons. It's one of my favorite films and always keeps me interested when it's on.

Here is my list and some terrible excuses for why I have not seen them.

quote:

1. Schindler's List - Everyone talks about this movie and references pretty often. I love Spielberg too but the 195 minute running time has me a bit worried. A majority of these movies are long because I have a slightly short attention span.

2. Apocalypse Now - Supposedly a classic. I have managed to see quite a few of the "war/military" classics but for some reason this has always been skipped over.

3. 2001: A Space Odyssey - I've enjoyed the few Kubrick films that I have seen but have never seen this. Probably because of the sci-fi aspect but I still feel like I would enjoy watching this.

4. Mean Streets - Like many of the others that listed this, I have seen "Goodfellas/Taxi Driver/etc" but this has just never really come across my "to-watch" list. With everyone involved though I feel like I should put it on.

5. Lawrence of Arabia - Another classic that has just never really sparked my interest or been a "must see" even though everyone who has seen it lists it as a favorite and a great watch.

6. City of God - I've borrowed this once or time but never brought myself to watch it. It's probably the whole subtitles thing that has turned me off to it. Other than that, it seems like it would be good to watch.

7. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb - Another Kubrick film but I feel especially bad about not having seen this. I have seen a ton of comedies and feel like this is essential.

8. Brazil - Another slightly sci-fi film I haven't seen. The concept always seemed pretty interesting though and have heard it's visually great.

9. Chinatown - I'm actually not too familiar with Roman Polanski's work but this seems like it would be a good start.

10. Some Like it Hot - It's not that I haven't had an interest in watching it, but there was a period of time where I didn't watch films that were in black and white. I frown upon that time...

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Mid, please watch 2001: A Space Odyssey. Make sure to watch it under these conditions to ensure you get the most out of it:

-By yourself, or at least with people who won't talk to you during it.
-In a relaxed state of mind. Don't be anticipating it getting over, just sit back and enjoy.
-Turn the sound up as loudly as you are able. Hopefully you have a nice HD copy as well.

Enjoy the ride.

For my part:

Arturo Ui posted:

Go watch 12 Angry Men because it is awesome

12 Angry Men was, in fact, awesome. It was beyond awesome. The script was about the most airtight and perfect I've seen. The actors each created characters that were unique, real, and memorable. Hell, I've only seen it once now and I could name who each of the 12 jurors was and at which position he sat at the table. Lumet's direction was brilliant. His use of closeups when necessary and his ability to shoot clearly within the confines of a small juror's room was beyond impressive. I read that as the movie progressed he gradually lowed the camera and used different lenses to enhance the feeling of confinement. The amount of control and meticulousness is amazing as hell. I love this movie. Thank you for the recommendation.

My new list:

12 Angry Men

Once Upon a Time in the West - I love Leone, so there is absolutely no good reason why I haven't seen this yet.

Spirited Away - I must subconsciously avoid anime, because I've seen very few even though I have no outward dislike for them.

Das Boot - this is definitely one of my most shameful because I actually own the loving DVD and still have not seen it.

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - This is one pretty far up on my Netflix queue already.

The Bridge on the River Kwai - No idea why I haven't seen this one, especially considering how much I love Lawrence of Arabia.

Life is Beautiful - I know very little about this except it's made by that little hyperactive Italian guy.

Downfall - I've had this one on my netflix queue for a LONG time. Not sure why I keep demoting it.

Cinema Paradiso - I know very little about this.

All About Eve - Ditto.

The Great Dictator - I began watching this on TCM a long time ago and had to stop for some reason. I liked what I saw, and I really enjoy Chaplin.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Does this mean LesterGroans has to eat his own hat?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

thegloaming posted:

Yes, I believe it does.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Does this also mean I'm never going to see Aguirre? :(

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

penismightier posted:

You got off easy, I listed one that was 312 minutes (loving TV Versions), I'll be getting to Fanny and Alexander this weekend but still, drat you whoever told me to watch it (too lazy to go back and check).

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

thegloaming posted:

Does this also mean I'm never going to see Aguirre? :(

Sure you will, but first you have to watch the better movies on your list. Not seeing TGTBTU or Casablanca or 12 Angry Men is a million times more shameful than not watching Aguirre. Aguirre is still great though and I wouldn't classify it as "boring but beautiful European "thinking" film" at all. Would you classify Fitzcarraldo as that?

The faster you watch those other movies the faster you get to Aguirre.

Wilhelm Scream posted:

You got off easy, I listed one that was 312 minutes (loving TV Versions), I'll be getting to Fanny and Alexander this weekend but still, drat you whoever told me to watch it (too lazy to go back and check).

It was me. I was made to watch the Decalogue though, so those 600 minutes has you both beat.

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jun 12, 2010

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Sure you will, but first you have to watch the better movies on your list. Not seeing TGTBTU or Casablanca or 12 Angry Men is a million times more shameful than not watching Aguirre. Aguirre is still great though and I wouldn't classify it as "boring but beautiful European "thinking" film" at all. Would you classify Fitzcarraldo as that?

No, I wouldn't. I do think Fitzcarraldo was "boring" in places, though. And upon closer inspection, I wouldn't call Aguirre that either, but something about it has always given me that vibe, maybe because I found out about it when I was watching a lot of said "boring but beautiful European 'thinking' films" (like L'avventura) so I just associated it that way. My bad!

Also I was thinking of seeing Fanny and Alexander on Instant Watch, but it's the theatrical. Should I subject myself to the 5 hour TV version instead?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

thegloaming posted:

Why did I have to wear my Spanish conquistador helmet :(

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

Why did I have to wear my Spanish conquistador helmet :(

At least you didn't wear your German Pickelhaube.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

thegloaming posted:

Also I was thinking of seeing Fanny and Alexander on Instant Watch, but it's the theatrical. Should I subject myself to the 5 hour TV version instead?

The TV version is much better.

p.s. Heimat is over 15 hours and it's really good. I still need to see the 2nd and 3rd series.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

FitFortDanga posted:

The TV version is much better.

I've always wondered, what is people's take on the TV v Theater version for Scenes from a Marriage? I go back and forth - I like the TV version because I like spending time with them, but I think the Theatrical version actually might be a better movie as far as pacing and "plot" (ha) are concerned.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Voodoofly posted:

I've always wondered, what is people's take on the TV v Theater version for Scenes from a Marriage? I go back and forth - I like the TV version because I like spending time with them, but I think the Theatrical version actually might be a better movie as far as pacing and "plot" (ha) are concerned.

I agree. I prefer the theatrical version of Scenes, it's much tighter.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

thegloaming posted:

I split Godfather into two; a friend told me the best place to pause when Michael is in Italy, and I ate dinner and went for a walk.

You guys are pussies, I accept no compromises. I watched Satantango in one sitting. :colbert: It cost me my entire Sunday but it was worth it.

Also, I'd jump into this but the OP says to make your choice the next film you watch and I am incapable of keeping that promise. :( If nobody minds me being a little late (I won't take two months like I did in the "Suggest a Movie to the Previous Poster" thread, I swear!) I'll toss together a list though.

Also, I third that the theatrical of Scenes is superior. I watched the theatrical cuts of F&A and Scenes my first times through (I didn't even realize either was cut down from TV), and Scenes just knocked me on my rear end with its intensity. A lot of that is lost in the extra two hours, though it's still well worth watching and instructive to flesh out the relationship of Johan and Marianne.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

I've only seen the TV version of F&A and the theatrical version of Scenes from a Marriage. I can see how more of Scenes from a Marriage might be interesting, but a cut F&A doesn't seem like it would work nearly as well.

Criminal Minded posted:

Also, I'd jump into this but the OP says to make your choice the next film you watch and I am incapable of keeping that promise. :( If nobody minds me being a little late (I won't take two months like I did in the "Suggest a Movie to the Previous Poster" thread, I swear!) I'll toss together a list though.

Most people don't seem to be following that rule literally so I'd say go for it.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

caiman, go watch All About Eve. You may not immediately identify with the story, but Bette Davis' screen presence and her one-liners and are just awesome. And there is no one else like George Sanders.

Cailin Rua posted:

Alright, VorpalBunny, go watch Goodfellas

Just finished it. Whenever anyone tries to rent any DVDs of The Sopranos they should be given Goodfellas as a primer. I had seen every episode of the show before seeing the movie, and now I feel like I understand the show a little better. Also, seeing nearly every cast member of The Sopranos in their younger years was pretty fun. Great movie, fun ride, De Niro at his best. Thanks for the recommendation!

By the way, my local Blockbuster had this in the ACTION section. I nearly gave up, until I found it buried under a pile of B-movies.

VorpalBunny posted:

My shameful list:

1) Casablanca - I watched it once halfway through on a plane and never went back. I know I would love it, I had it on DVD for a while, but I just never got around to it.

2) Vertigo - I've tried watching the film twice, and fell asleep both times about 30 minutes in. I usually love Hitchcock films, but the pacing on this one just gets me every time.

3) Goodfellas - after all the talk in the TVIV thread on Community and the great homage to the film, I meant to add it to my Netflix queue, but my list is rather full and I'll see it eventually.
3) Paths of Glory - I recently saw 2001 on the big screen and loved it. I need to catch up on my Kubrick, this and Barry Lyndon are the only two major works of his I have yet to see. I would accept this double-feature as a recommendation.

4) Errol Flynn's Robin Hood - I just got crap for this over the weekend. It has just never been something I considered a must-see, until I was told otherwise.

5) The Sound of Music, Singin In the Rain, and musicals in general - I just can't get into them.
5) Flesh+Blood by Verhoeven. I like his other stuff, for the most part, I just never got around to watching this. I should probably also rewatch Robocop since I saw it once as a kid and never really got much more than awesome violence out of it. I would accept this double-feature as a recommendation.

6) The Outlaw Josey Wales, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, Once Upon a Time in the West, and westerns in general - I like the few westerns I have seen, but I've just been slow to catch up.

7) Lawrence of Arabia - I'm waiting to catch this one in 70mm on the big screen. The American Cinematheque shows it every other month, so I'll catch it one of these days.

8) Modern Times - I haven't seen most of Chaplin's work. I found myself to be more a fan of Buster Keaton, but I know I must see some of Chaplin's major work.

9) Shaft - I saw the remake, but never saw the original. I'm curious about the blaxploitation genre, especially since I loved Black Dynamite.

10) City of God - I just imagine this will be pretty hard to watch.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
VorpalBunny you need to watch The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, while I like Once Upon a Time in the West a little bit more, I would recommend watching The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly first. It has a bit more substance to keep you interested throughout. It's probably better to have an appreciation of the genre before you watch the other. The latter isn't something I realized was great until it all sunk in after I watched it all. Both are all time classics though. The Eastwood trilogy doesn't really have to be watched in order as each movie offers a unique story with basically the same character.

This thread might be my favorite on the forums now after watching 12 Angry Men. I'd hate to give a kneejerk reaction, but it probably will go down as one of my favorite movies ever. It is easily one of the most well acted movies I've ever seen. Each of the 12 jurors brings a unique trait that all ends up working very well together. Between Juror 8 being calm and thoughtful, Juror 10 being racist, Juror 7 being indifferent. Each and every actor did an absolute amazing job portraying who they were playing. It's probably a movie I will watch many times again in the future.

marioinblack posted:

1. Casablanca - I've just never really thought of watching it.

2. Citizen Kane - Just like Casablanca.

3. Any Hitchcock sans Psycho and the Birds - I would like to see Rear Window and North by Northwest at some point though.

4. A Clockwork Orange - I'm not a huge fan of Kubrick, although The Shining isn't a bad movie by any stretch. I didn't really like 2001, but it wasn't my kind of movie.

5. Goodfellas - Haven't thought of seeing it.

6. Godfather Series - Everything I hear about part 3 is terrible, but the first 2 are supposed to be on the Mount Rushmore of movies, I don't have much of an excuse here.

7. Wall-E - This will probably lead me to catch up on the rest of the Pixar I missed (everything after the Incredibles). This is something I need to change.

8. Chinatown
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Another Jack classic that I haven't seen.

9. 12 Angry Men
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - The only James Stewart movie I've seen is It's a Wonderful Life, which I regard highly.

10. Gone With the Wind - A classic I've never gotten around to.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

It was me. I was made to watch the Decalogue though, so those 600 minutes has you both beat.

You post it, you better be ready to watch it. :smug:

That said, my internet has been loving terrible so trying to watch Amelie has been useless. Instead, I got Raiders of the Lost Ark on DVD and actually fell asleep within the first half-hour (granted, I was tired as gently caress, but still who the hell falls asleep during Indiana Jones?).

I will give both a shot this weekend and hopefully get back into the game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

marioinblack, you get to watch Gone With the Wind because I'm a girl and I don't think any other goon would recommend you see it over the others in your list.

Okay, so I had Die Hard picked for me. It was a fun movie. I can see the appeal, and for a movie made in the eighties, it's not so badly dated. I like that I know a lot more about all those pop-culture references. I can totally see why it sealed Bruce Willis' name as a movie star. He was pure awesome!

My updated shameful list:

1. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly - I'm not a huge western fan, but I HAVE tried to watch this. I always fall asleep in the first half hour.

2. The Usual Suspects. I've never seen this movie, but I do know how it ends, and since it's one of those that the ending is a surprise, I feel that watching the movie would be moot.

3. Citizen Kane. The same problem here as The Usual Suspects. I know what Rosebud is. I'm afraid that I'm going to think it's over rated.

4.Die Hard Chinatown I'd be going into this one blind. I don't even know who the lead is, but I hear it's a good movie, so I suppose I should see it some day.

5. The Graduate. I've seen bits and pieces, but I haven't a clue as to the actual storyline.

6. Rocky. Not a big Stallone fan.

7. Eraserhead. I've seen Twin Peaks and Mullholland Drive, but David Lynch kind of freaks me out, so I've avoided his masterpiece to keep me sane.

8. Grosse Point Blank This movie I've tried to watch, but always got distracted. I have a feeling it's going to be hard to keep concentrating on, but I want to finish it. Plus, I like John Cussack.

9. There Will Be Blood. I'm one of those people that watched No Country For Old Men instead. I hear it's brilliant, but it doesn't look too interesting to me. OIL!

10. Dr. Strangelove. I'm a Kubrick fan, but for some reason, I can not watch this one. I've tried and it bores me to sleep within the first half hour. People tell me how funny and poignant it is and I can't see it from the limited amount I have seen.