Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

EnergizerFellow posted:

Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Linear Force aka Cherry MX black.

Are the ones with the keypad the same? Also, on another forum, I was linked to a rather cheap non-mechanical keyboard thats almost cheap enough for me to get a mechanical keyboard just for long periods of typing, but if the linear force with the keypad on that site is any good for gaming, then I will pull the trigger on that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

very
Jan 25, 2005

I err on the side of handsome.

Shinx posted:

Are the ones with the keypad the same? Also, on another forum, I was linked to a rather cheap non-mechanical keyboard thats almost cheap enough for me to get a mechanical keyboard just for long periods of typing, but if the linear force with the keypad on that site is any good for gaming, then I will pull the trigger on that one.

I think black is the best of the cherry switches for gaming. You are not likely to press a key on accident, and it isn't going to distract you with a bunch of noise.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

very posted:

I think black is the best of the cherry switches for gaming. You are not likely to press a key on accident, and it isn't going to distract you with a bunch of noise.

Will the pressure be easy to get used to? I'm used to my oldschool dome keyboards and stuff. Thanks to everyone so far for the help.

malefactor
Jul 23, 2006

by T. Finn

GoldenNugget posted:

It doesn't block the jump? I was just trying this in left 4 dead 2 and w + shift + space blocks space so I can't jump while walking. Maybe it has to do with drivers? I'm running Vista Ultimate 64-bit.

I'm probably going to return this board and get a new one since this probably is a hardware issue. Any suggestions on anything that's similar?

the jump works just fine

I used to play WOW with the same keyboard. I used q e z x c r f v 1 2 3 4 5 poo poo/ctrl for abilities while pressing w a s d and jumping around to look cool.

Never had an issue with ghosting.

edit: vista 32bit, and I have logitech uber options installed

Tyrsell
Nov 5, 2008
Any recommendations for portable dvorak keyboards?

Yes I realize it's pretty easy to change the settings on any computer to use dvorak with a regular qwerty keyboard, but if I'm going to be learning it, I'd prefer to be able to look down at the keys to figure where where each letter is. As well, most of the computers I use on a regular basis are shared or public computers, so I would prefer not to have to mess around with the keyboard settings.

The portable part is a bonus, just because it would make it easier to carry around with me, but it's not a deal breaker.

DinosaurHouseParty
Oct 31, 2003
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290442033197&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

Anyone have any idea which switch these use and is it NKRO?

It looks like the guy is taking offers as low as $50.00.

Edit: These are NOT 6+4 NKRO but I'm still looking on confirmation that these are Cherry blacks.

Edit2: These use the blacks, and he stated that he is willing to go as low as $55.00 if you purchase more than one.

DinosaurHouseParty fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jun 10, 2010

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
After doing some reading I was thinking about getting the Microsoft Sidewinder x4 for real cheap, and getting Brown Cherries for typing. I'm still thinking though I should get the Blacks, but I was told to get Cherry Blues for gaming, so I only have to buy one keyboard. This keyboard thing is more complicated than going to NewEgg and sorting by lowest price :v:

Korean Boomhauer fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 9, 2010

DinosaurHouseParty
Oct 31, 2003

Shinx posted:

After doing some reading I was thinking about getting the Microsoft Sidewinder x4 for real cheap, and getting Brown Cherries for typing. I'm still thinking though I should get the Blacks, but I was told to get Cherry Blues for gaming, so I only have to buy one keyboard. This keyboard thing is more complicated than going to NewEgg and sorting by lowest price :v:
Which board are you using now? The blues are very nice, and the noise which is defiantly audible comes far from annoying (unless you plan to ever use these in a cube).

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

DinosaurHouseParty posted:

Which board are you using now? The blues are very nice, and the noise which is defiantly audible comes far from annoying (unless you plan to ever use these in a cube).

The Eclipse II is my current (dying) board. I don't think noise will bother me all that much, as I don't own a cube, but I would like to try a mechanical board for a change.

DinosaurHouseParty
Oct 31, 2003

Shinx posted:

The Eclipse II is my current (dying) board. I don't think noise will bother me all that much, as I don't own a cube, but I would like to try a mechanical board for a change.
If you have a Microcenter nearby you could give the Das Keyboard Professional a whirl. Its in blue.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

If you have a Microcenter nearby you could give the Das Keyboard Professional a whirl. Its in blue.

No Microcenter near here, not even the local shops have a 7g I can poke at.

DinosaurHouseParty
Oct 31, 2003

Shinx posted:

No Microcenter near here, not even the local shops have a 7g I can poke at.
COMPUSA perhaps, they have two Adesso Cherry blues. There might be something wrong with the full size's logic board but you can always try the compact.

DinosaurHouseParty fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jun 10, 2010

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

COMPUSA perhaps, they have two Adesso Cherry blues. There might be something wrong with the full size's logic board but you can always try the compact.

I don't even have a CompUSA near here. Would it be a stretch to assume Staples or Office Cheapo would have one?

E. Office Depot told me all they had were Wireless and Wired. Guess he didn't know what I was talking about :smith: So I guess I can get the Blacks and assume they'll work, but I keep hearing mixed reviews, some saying blues work great for gaming too. I may just start out with the Sidewinder and then get Mechanicals later, such as the browns.

Korean Boomhauer fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jun 10, 2010

Not Female
Sep 17, 2006
What the name implies.

malefactor posted:

the jump works just fine

I used to play WOW with the same keyboard. I used q e z x c r f v 1 2 3 4 5 poo poo/ctrl for abilities while pressing w a s d and jumping around to look cool.

Never had an issue with ghosting.

edit: vista 32bit, and I have logitech uber options installed

I too really wanted this keyboard and went to Best Buy to go pick one up yesterday. Exact same shift+w blocking space issue. I run Windows 7 x64, and I tried in Half-Life 2 first with Logitech's SetPoint software installed and then without.

Some guy on another forum that I can't remember when I was poking around yesterday (i.e. not the best source of information) said that the UK version of the keyboard is fine, the blocking only occurs on the US version.

I already returned it but I sent an e-mail to Logitech support anyway. I might try ordering from someplace that would have a more recent lot if there are different versions of this keyboard around.

malefactor
Jul 23, 2006

by T. Finn

Not Female posted:

I too really wanted this keyboard and went to Best Buy to go pick one up yesterday. Exact same shift+w blocking space issue. I run Windows 7 x64, and I tried in Half-Life 2 first with Logitech's SetPoint software installed and then without.

Some guy on another forum that I can't remember when I was poking around yesterday (i.e. not the best source of information) said that the UK version of the keyboard is fine, the blocking only occurs on the US version.

I already returned it but I sent an e-mail to Logitech support anyway. I might try ordering from someplace that would have a more recent lot if there are different versions of this keyboard around.

I bought mine from best buy in california about a year ago.

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.

Shinx posted:

I was doing some reading and just about to pull the trigger on a G15 until I read a comment mentioning NKRO. Soon afterwards, I got acquainted with all the different switches and cherries and companies and OH GOD, but I'm still left wondering what kind of keyboard I should get. I want something that will be good for gaming, especially games like GTA4 that cause problems with my current keyboard (helicopter flying). I'm kinda torn between the G15, the SteelSeries 7G, and the Saitek Cyborg, but I'm open to any other suggestions. Sorry if this was asked earlier and I'll go back and actually read the thread to find out.

Get a bad assed Unicomp Customizer. It's big, its ugly, but it's half the price of the steel series and typing on it is loving sublime.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

MasterWerk posted:

Get a bad assed Unicomp Customizer. It's big, its ugly, but it's half the price of the steel series and typing on it is loving sublime.

Is it good for PC gaming though?

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

malefactor posted:

I bought mine from best buy in california about a year ago.

You people with both the ghosting and non-ghosting Logitech Illuminated Keyboards should post your P/Ns so we can get to the bottom of this mess. If I knew what to look for, I'd grab another in a heartbeat.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
Thanks, jerks, I just spent $120 on a keyboard. :arghfist::mad:

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.

Shinx posted:

Is it good for PC gaming though?

So far so good. I play Bad Company 2 and Starcraft 2 on it without any issues. The only thing I wish it had was a backlight because I'm a crap touch typist beyond the standard letter keys and the number pads. Symbols are out the loving window.

DinosaurHouseParty
Oct 31, 2003

The Adesso MKB-135B before I return it to Microcenter.

I love the switches but doing something speedy like TypeRacer sees it inserting spaces intermittently between letters where no space belongs. Its a native PS2 keyboard but without using the USB adapter there was some key lag especially when tasked with something akin to holding down the Backspace key to delete multiple letters. Great looking keyboard, no flex, solid keys, but I can' recommend it based on the fact that there is glaring bug of adding spaces.

Edit: I just read over someone else's review and I did not find any mention of skipping spaces. I thought I did though. Well the problem was persistent, so I just don't know now. I really thought I had someone who could corroborate that there is a problem. If its just a problem with getting used to the blues or something was borked system side then I'd say that this keyboard would have been worth the bean.
It seems to me that I've made a mistake in this review. I am getting the skipped spaces on my well used Eclipse so its not just localized to the Adesso. So even at $100.00 I would recommend this Cherry blue board.

Now for my keyboard problem. Has anyone ever heard of a bug where random spaces are skipped? I don't want to reformat but I'm willing to believe that having two keyboards plugged in at the same time was the start of my troubles.

Edit: Now wouldn't it just be dumb if TypeRacer is just misregistering keys?

Edit2: Haven't skipped a space in forever...

Edit3: Do these keys look double shot to anyone?

DinosaurHouseParty fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 13, 2010

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

The Adesso MKB-135B before I return it to Microcenter.

:words:

I love the switches but doing something speedy like TypeRacer sees it inserting spaces intermittently between letters where no space belongs.

I picked up one of these and used it at work for a day. Instantly fell in love. Took it home and ordered another immediately. This is by far my favorite keyboard. I also have not had the issue you're referring to so we're probably in agreement that there's something goofy going on with your computer.

I don't know what to say other than the fact that I absolutely loved it and I have three coworkers seriously looking at getting it as well.

Also, my coworkers were a bit unsure of it because they've been avoiding :airquote: clicky :airquote: keyboards at work. I can gladly report that everyone was cool with it and one described it as "soothing".

IMO it's easily the best value keyboard on the market right now.

quote:

So even at $100.00 I would recommend this Cherry blue board.

You really overpaid. I got one for $73 (that was including shipping) from Provantage and the other for $80 (free shipping) from Amazon. Provatage recently raised their price though.

feld fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 13, 2010

DinosaurHouseParty
Oct 31, 2003

feld posted:

I picked up one of these and used it at work for a day. Instantly fell in love. Took it home and ordered another immediately. This is by far my favorite keyboard. I also have not had the issue you're referring to so we're probably in agreement that there's something goofy going on with your computer.

I don't know what to say other than the fact that I absolutely loved it and I have three coworkers seriously looking at getting it as well.

Also, my coworkers were a bit unsure of it because they've been avoiding :airquote: clicky :airquote: keyboards at work. I can gladly report that everyone was cool with it and one described it as "soothing".

IMO it's easily the best value keyboard on the market right now.

You really overpaid. I got one for $73 (that was including shipping) from Provantage and the other for $80 (free shipping) from Amazon. Provatage recently raised their price though.
Don't forget that its the only board in its class that has media keys, though I never did find out how to activate any of them.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

I'm not that much into the clickety-clackety keys, but I suppose this is the best place to ask anyway. is there a keyboard that fulfils the following requirements:
  • Corded. Screw changing batteries.
  • Has no numpad. I rarely use it and my desk is rather narrow, so I'd appreciate a bit more space to operate the mouse instead. Yet...
  • It shouldn't have a 'compact' layout i.e the arrow and insert-to-page down keys should be properly separated from the rest like on any desktop keyboard.
Is there even such a thing? Any suggestions are much appreciated, since my shift-keys are broken and using caps-lock and the keymap to avoid a probation due to improper capitalization is getting a bit tedious.

Edit - As per usual, just after I post this I run across the microsoft sidewinder x6. Problem solved.

Jasper Tin Neck fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 13, 2010

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

Nesnej posted:

I'm not that much into the clickety-clackety keys, but I suppose this is the best place to ask anyway. is there a keyboard that fulfils the following requirements:
  • Corded. Screw changing batteries.
  • Has no numpad. I rarely use it and my desk is rather narrow, so I'd appreciate a bit more space to operate the mouse instead. Yet...
  • It shouldn't have a 'compact' layout i.e the arrow and insert-to-page down keys should be properly separated from the rest like on any desktop keyboard.
Is there even such a thing? Any suggestions are much appreciated, since my shift-keys are broken and using caps-lock and the keymap to avoid a probation due to improper capitalization is getting a bit tedious.

Filco Cherry Brown tenkeyless

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

bloodynose posted:

Just to say that browns are not exactly silent on the Filco, you will still hear the key bottom out and it does make a bit of noise. It's noticeable depending on how hard you type.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

bloodynose posted:

This isn't a bad suggestion, but $121 + $48 for shipping to Finland is already a bit steep even for me. I'm also so used to media keys that given the option, I'll want to have them. Thanks for the help though.

DinosaurHouseParty
Oct 31, 2003

Nesnej posted:

This isn't a bad suggestion, but $121 + $48 for shipping to Finland is already a bit steep even for me. I'm also so used to media keys that given the option, I'll want to have them. Thanks for the help though.
Did you buy it yet? The X4 might be a better option.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I haven't checked the market in a while, but what good laptop-like (low-profile) keyboards with numpads are there?

I don't want multimedia crap and all that; I would like some volume buttons, though.

If there's a Bluetooth version that doesn't lag or hibernate when idling, that would be cool, but isn't a requirement. I'm warming up to the thought of a slightly curved keyboard, too.

A cheap version of this keyboard would be great - at least as an ephemeral choice until something better comes along.

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.
Logitech Illuminated Keyboard fits the bill. It's wired and runs $80, but it's nice if you're into low profile keys.

Nija
Mar 2, 2003
F A C K

VectorSigma posted:

You people with both the ghosting and non-ghosting Logitech Illuminated Keyboards should post your P/Ns so we can get to the bottom of this mess. If I knew what to look for, I'd grab another in a heartbeat.

I think it's a 64bit OS vs 32bit OS thing. I tried mine on a 64bit OS and it was terrible. Those that seem to love them are running 32bit Windows.

Tex-Murph
May 5, 2001
Forum Veteran

I said come in! posted:

The full size USB one. :love: I need the USB one because my PC doesn't have blue tooth and I wanted to be able to use it while I work on AutoCAD and Solidworks on the PC, so a numpad is absolutely required.

I like this keyboard so much already though that i'm going to just end up getting a wireless one for the mac eventually.

I really want the full size, because I just like having all my keys, but I also really want a wireless one! (Hello typing from my bed) I am so mixed on what to buy! There seem to be fewer Mac options, unfortunately.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

MasterWerk posted:

Logitech Illuminated Keyboard fits the bill. It's wired and runs $80, but it's nice if you're into low profile keys.
It's $45 AR on Amazon right now.

malefactor
Jul 23, 2006

by T. Finn

VectorSigma posted:

P/N: 820-0012-68

PID: L2847BD

model name: Y-UY95

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Not Female posted:

Yeah I returned mine because of this issue too. I was running Vista ultimate 64-bit and I guess that may be the issue. Nice keyboard but that was a major issue for me. I guess if they ever make a new one without this problem I might consider getting it for another computer.

I got a filco instead and while I miss the backlit keys, it's drat nice. At first I didn't notice the difference with the mechanical switches, but now using a work keyboard, the keys feel cheap, mushy, and shake around a lot.

edit:
well I guess it's just some keyboards that do it and you're one of the lucky ones who don't have to deal with this issue.

GoldenNugget fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 14, 2010

malefactor
Jul 23, 2006

by T. Finn

GoldenNugget posted:

Yeah I returned mine because of this issue too. I was running Vista ultimate 64-bit and I guess that may be the issue. Nice keyboard but that was a major issue for me. I guess if they ever make a new one without this problem I might consider getting it for another computer.

I got a filco instead and while I miss the backlit keys, it's drat nice. At first I didn't notice the difference with the mechanical switches, but now using a work keyboard, the keys feel cheap, mushy, and shake around a lot.

I'm going to plug my keyboard into my 64bit laptop to end this nonsense.
code:
edit: WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW    WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW    
yep, doesn't block the space on vista 64bit

malefactor fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 14, 2010

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

Did you buy it yet? The X4 might be a better option.
Yes, I did. It suits my needs better than the X4 because of this:

My desk is very narrow, so a full-width keyboard such as the Logitech Internet navigator that died on me would force me to turn the mouse mat into a portrait orientation, which is hardly ideal considering the shape of most screens. This keyboard is like tailored for my needs.

DinosaurHouseParty
Oct 31, 2003

Nesnej posted:

Yes, I did. It suits my needs better than the X4 because of this:

My desk is very narrow, so a full-width keyboard such as the Logitech Internet navigator that died on me would force me to turn the mouse mat into a portrait orientation, which is hardly ideal considering the shape of most screens. This keyboard is like tailored for my needs.
You're not fooling me are you? Those dust bunnies look American...

Nija
Mar 2, 2003
F A C K

malefactor posted:

I'm going to plug my keyboard into my 64bit laptop to end this nonsense.
code:
edit: WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
yep, doesn't block the space on vista 64bit

That's not really a good test. Try using W A shift space. Moving diagonally and crouch rocket/pipe jumping. It's that extra character that throws it over the edge. Some might think that 4 keys at once seems a bit excessive, but it happens more often than you'd think. You could even throw in a 5th if you had a game where you could throw grenades and do all of the other actions.

Nija fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jun 15, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malefactor
Jul 23, 2006

by T. Finn

Nija posted:

That's not really a good test. Try using W A shift space. Moving diagonally and crouch rocket/pipe jumping. It's that extra character that throws it over the edge. Some might think that 4 keys at once seems a bit excessive, but it happens more often than you'd think. You could even throw in a 5th if you had a game where you could throw grenades and do all of the other actions.

I even found this little program to let me know everything it ok.

http://miaclan.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=14401

W A S + SHIFT + CTRL + SPACE all at once. For some reason if I hit WASD + shift + ctrl + space it also activates "c."

I uses this keyboard to play lots and lots of computer games and I have never had a blocked key. Even in Wolrd of warcraft PVP using WASD + spacebar + poo poo + ctrl like all the time I never had any issues.

Currently using the keyboard to rocket jump in TF2 with no issues.

edit: tested 64bit laptop, exactly the same result.

It looks like many keys could get blocked, but WASD seem to be much much much harder to block and block WAY less other keys.

malefactor fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 15, 2010

• Locked thread