Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

fishmech posted:

That's pretty much an accurate description of the first Red Scare to be honest.

I always thought the term Red Scare to be a little confusing considering it's roots in nativism. Although I suppose you could call it 50/50 on anti immigrant and anti union, both of which turn nicely into "foreign communist provocateurs!"

Whichever, it's clearly the progressive's fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

quote:

During the trip I also announced my upcoming engagement, to which he only replied, "Why are you doing that?" and stayed silent the rest of the way.

Please let this be to a person of the same sex.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Sorry for side tracking, but isn't "upcoming engagement" almost an oxymoron? Engagement is a promise of marriage, so as soon as two people have agreed to get married they are engaged, so it can't be upcoming any longer. :eng101:

Hardcore Phonography
Apr 28, 2004

I have my eye on a suite in Baker Street.

Nenonen posted:

Sorry for side tracking, but isn't "upcoming engagement" almost an oxymoron? Engagement is a promise of marriage, so as soon as two people have agreed to get married they are engaged, so it can't be upcoming any longer. :eng101:

"Upcoming Engagement" was code for "I'm gonna get blazed with my professor tonight" when I was in college. But yeah, anyone that would use that word is probably implying "I'll be engaged just as soon as the low-life can afford the $10,000 ring I demand." poo poo if I were a woman and someone gave me a useless rock that cost 10 Gs I would cut them with it.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

...or it means he was telling his dad he was planning to ask and just hadn't popped the question yet. Or that he and the future spouse agreed to wait until graduation/employment/loans paid off/whatever like countless other couples do. Let's keep the misogyny in check, drat.

My dad's been sending me a lot of subtle "well the oil spill is Obama's fault because if Bush were in office you'd be blaming it on him :smug:" bullshit. And this afternoon at my mom's birthday lunch he made a big deal about the Arizona immigration bill and how I was wrong about it stating that officers are now legally obligated to stop and identify anyone who they have reasonable suspicion of being illegal (he said it's like curfew law for kids under 18 and you have to get stopped doing something illegal first). I'm more sad about it than anything else. I don't want my parents to be right-wing batshit Fox drones. :(

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Quakerman posted:

So I read Thomas Frank's What's the matter with Kansas? and then I read this head and my head exploded at how much sense everything makes now.

As much as I am inclined to believe this book, I was under the general impression that more rigorous research had provided some evidence that the theories put forth in this book were, at best, an incomplete picture of a complex working of public opinion and electoral behavior. It's been a while though, so I don't remember any specifics.

Edit: Jesus loving Christ that American Thinker article. The Asperger's accusation is so wimpy compared to the accusations that he might have had head trauma (from physical abuse!), his head is mush from all the alcohol and drugs, multiple non-specific mental illness', but loving worst of all seems convinced that Obama was SEXUALLY ABUSED AS A CHILD.

quote:

While I can't prove it, the degree of Obama's disconnect reminds me of my sexually abused clients...

Let's return now to my original question: What is wrong with Obama? My guess is a great deal. The answer is complex and likely includes some combination of the above.

:psyduck: Someone should post this entire article in the thread, because we'll see it eventually and gently caress me does it belong up there with the best/worst of them.

Logan 5 fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 13, 2010

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Logan 5 posted:

As much as I am inclined to believe this book, I was under the general impression that more rigorous research had provided some evidence that the theories put forth in this book were, at best, an incomplete picture of a complex working of public opinion and electoral behavior. It's been a while though, so I don't remember any specifics.

This, and a good follow-up read is Trucking Country by Shane Hamilton. After reading both books Frank's argument seems incredibly one-sided and selectively researched.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

Pungent Mammy posted:

I just sent him the Treaty of Tripoli as a counterpoint to the last item, although he said he won't trust anything but the "actual document". The link I sent has a scan of the actual document, so I don't know if that will be enough proof.

Well, insist on the actual document as the only acceptable proof when he claims that Obama is "violating the Constitution."

"I won't accept anything but the actual document" is the equivalent of *fingers in ears* LA LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU LA LA LA LA.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Just found this thread. I constantly receive these things from my mother. Here's one I had the pleasure of reading this morning!

:bahgawd: posted:

The COWBOY Solution to save Gasoline

OBAMA wants us to cut the amount of gasoline we use..... The best way to stop using so much gasoline is to deport 15 million illegal immigrants! That would be 15 million less people using our gas. The price of gas would come down..... Bring our troops home from Afghanistan to guard the borders....

When they catch an illegal immigrant crossing the Border, hand him a canteen, rifle and some ammo and ship him to Afghanistan ....

Tell him if he wants to come to AMERICA then he must serve a
tour in OUR military.... Give him a soldier's pay while he's there and tax him on it...... After his tour, he will be allowed to become a citizen since he defended this country..... He will also be registered to be taxed and be a legal resident.....

This option will probably deter illegal immigration and provide a solution for the troops in Afghanistan and the aliens trying to make a better life for themselves........ If they refuse to serve, ship them to Afghanistan anyway, without the canteen, rifle or ammo.....

Problem solved.....

If you think this is a good solution to both the problems, forward it to your friends........... I just did..........

Problem solved! :psyduck:

Lordy, I don't even know where to begin with this. Here at first you think it's about gasoline and then well... Ship 'em to Afghanistan!! I suppose there really isn't any discussion that can be generated from this. It feels like someone watched Starship Troopers and found out later that evening that their daughter started dating a mexican boy.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I wouldn't argue with a tour of military service in exchange for citizenship. If anything, it would train and educate many people looking to come into this country. We're not talking about just infantry either. Doctors, engineers, radio operators, etc.

However, that last bit about "SEND 'EM THERE ANYWAY WITH NO AMMO! HURR" just shows the real malice and hatred within the e-mail.

JGTheSpy
Jul 31, 2002
Excuse me, but if I could have a moment of your time, I'd like to explain why you're not actually enjoying that game that you're enjoying. You see, I am in fact an expert. At games. I know, it's impressive.

the posted:

I wouldn't argue with a tour of military service in exchange for citizenship. If anything, it would train and educate many people looking to come into this country. We're not talking about just infantry either. Doctors, engineers, radio operators, etc.

We pretty much already do this.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
What do you do with someone too untrustworthy to let in to your country?

Give them a gun and force them to fight a war for you.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

the posted:

However, that last bit about "SEND 'EM THERE ANYWAY WITH NO AMMO! HURR" just shows the real malice and hatred within the e-mail.

SERVICE MEANS CITIZENSHIP.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
It would be interesting also to see the reactions of conservatives.

What happens when you take an illegal immigrant, arguably one of the most hated and despised person in a conservative's mind, and change them into a U.S. Soldier, the most beloved and revered person in a conservative's mind?

How do they reconcile that?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

the posted:

What happens when you take an illegal immigrant, arguably one of the most hated and despised person in a conservative's mind, and change them into a U.S. Soldier, the most beloved and revered person in a conservative's mind?

They love them creepily behind their backs?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

the posted:

From my own experiences, their response is generally to block them out, mentally. Those sorts of soldiers don't exist as far as they're concerned. Blue-eyed blond Aryans tend to be all they will acknowledge as real soldiers fighting for Mom, apple pie, and baconators.

The ability to ignore completely inconvenient facts in preference to fantasy is a highly desired and greatly valued skill among modern conservatives.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

RagnarokAngel posted:

SERVICE MEANS CITIZENSHIP.

Just one step from arbeit macht frei. :v:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

the posted:

Unless you make them marines they can reconcile it.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I can't see where or why this should happen, but as the saying says, "poo poo HAPPENS" I surely hope I don't see this in my lifetime and just hopefully not in anyones lifetime that follows me.....

Let's say I break into your house. . .

A lady wrote the best letter in the Editorials in ages!!! It explains things better than all the baloney you hear on TV.

Her point:

Recently, large demonstrations have taken place across the country, protesting the fact that Congress is finally addressing the issue of illegal immigration.

Certain people are angry that the U.S. might protect its own borders, might make it harder to sneak into this country and, once here, to stay indefinitely.
Let me see if I correctly understand the thinking behind these protests.

Let's say I break into your house. Let's say that when you discover me in your house, you insist that I leave.

But I say, "I've made all the beds and washed the dishes and did the laundry and swept the floors. I've done all the things you don't like to do. I'm hard-working and honest (except for when I broke into your house).

According to the protesters:

You are Required to let me stay in your house.

You are Required to add me to your family's insurance plan.

You are Required to Educate my kids.

You are Required to Provide other benefits to me & to my family (my husband will do all of your yard work because he is also hard-working and honest, except for that breaking in part).

If you try to call the police or force me out, I will call my friends who will picket your house carrying signs that proclaim my RIGHT to be there. It's only fair, after all, because you have a nicer house than I do, and I'm just trying to better myself. I'm a hard-working and honest, person, except for well, you know, I did break into your house. And oh yeah, I get a free education, where you have to pay your own way through college.(TEEHEE)

And what a deal it is for me!!!

I live in your house, contributing only a fraction of the cost of my keep, and there is nothing you can do about it without being accused of cold, uncaring, selfish, prejudiced, and bigoted behavior.

Oh yeah, I DEMAND that you learn MY LANGUAGE!!! So you can communicate with me. And don't forget to make sure your forms are in MY language - I need to understand them...

Why can't people see how ridiculous this is?! Only in America !

If you agree, pass it on ( in English ).

Share it if you see the value of it.

If not blow it off.........

Along with your future Social Security funds, and a lot of other things!

----

It came with a whole bunch of pictures of the frito bandito and speedy gonzalez.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I love how conservatives don't get theres a huge difference between "don't kick out illegal immigrants" and "it's racist to make every vaguely tannish person show ID"

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

RagnarokAngel posted:

I love how conservatives don't get theres a huge difference between "don't kick out illegal immigrants" and "it's racist to make every vaguely tannish person show ID"

This is a core component of a conservative mind, I think. You see it everywhere.

Say something sympathetic to Palestinians? You're "defending terrorism." Because some Palestinians are terrorists, I guess, that means saying anything the least bit nice about them means that you love everything that every one of them does!

Think that America should realize it's just one country in a large world and that yes, we actually should consider the opinions of other nations sometimes? Why do you want America to SURRENDER ITS SOVEREIGNTY?

My personal favorite: How can you favor reducing our CO2 emissions and usage of fossil fuels while being pro-choice? :psyduck:

They don't seem to understand anything except pure black and white.

Notoriety
Nov 3, 2009

quote:

The COWBOY Solution to save Gasoline

Tell him if he wants to come to AMERICA then he must serve a
tour in OUR military.... Give him a soldier's pay while he's there and tax him on it...... After his tour, he will be allowed to become a citizen since he defended this country..... He will also be registered to be taxed and be a legal resident.....

Everyone should have to work hard to become a citizen, just like I did when I was born here. Man, that was rough :downs:

yatagan
Aug 31, 2009

by Ozma

Notoriety posted:

Everyone should have to work hard to become a citizen, just like I did when I was born here. Man, that was rough :downs:

So let's just give citizenship out to anyone who wants it then?

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

yatagan posted:

So let's just give citizenship out to anyone who wants it then?

Only the ones with good aim.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

pillsburysoldier posted:

Only the ones with good aim.

Only the ones who are born here. And don't have illegal parents. And are white.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
New one from my stepdad

quote:

Subject: Nobody knows nobody in Chicago
Rod Blagojevich is the former Illinois Governor who tried to sell Obama's seat in congress.

Obama was asked, by the press, if he had ever met Gov. Ron Blagojevich.

Barack Obama: "I only saw Rod Blagojevich one time ... and that was in the stands and from a distance at a Chicago Bears Football Game."

Rod Blagojevich, Barack Obama and Richard Daley during a rally in Chicago , April 16, 2007. (Photo Reuters )

To understand the next 4 years, you have to understand the “world according to Chicago ...”

While Chicago is a city in Illinois , it is almost a completely different country when it comes to politics, with a whole different set of morals and language.

There are only three rules and a “Prime Directive” which anybody can understand. You don't even need an attorney to understand them --and if you need an attorney, well, you know too much...so look out for Rule #3!

RULE #1...No matter what you see, hear, or do… --you don't know anybody and you don't know nothing!

RULE #2...If you capture something on tape or camera… -- it doesn't reveal nothing!

RULE #3...If you know what everybody knows in Chicago … --well, you stilldon't know nothing.

The “PRIME DIRECTIVE” in CHICAGO ...No matter what the vote – Democrats win the election. Now pay close attention!

It's very simple....we'll illustrate. Remember, you know nothing.

These two? They don't know each other! They said they didn't.

The fellas in this picture – They never actually met face to face. What fellas? We don't see nothing!

The guy on the left? For all you know he's Santa Claus.

And the guy on the right... well, he's the Easter Bunny! That's all you need to know.

Go to your eye doctor...your eyes are lying to you! Ca'pish?

Remember Jimmy Hoffa? He knew too much and now, well, now no one knows where he is.

Is the big picture clear? Not these pictures! Remember, You've already forgot them...

Now, ain't that simple? They don't know each other and they never met!

How is that possible? 'cause they said so! And don't forget it!

P.S. If you pass this on to your friends, don't forget, you know nothing and they will know nothing.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

I'll still don't quite understand why ellipses are so prevalent in conservative e-mail chains.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

So, uh... what's the source of the Obama quote that says he only saw Gov. Rod once at the Bears game? I notice they didn't pin that down to any particular article, speech or time frame, big surprise.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Capsaicin posted:

Why can't people see how ridiculous this is?! Only in America !

If you agree, pass it on ( in English ).

Share it if you see the value of it.

If not blow it off.........

Along with your future Social Security funds, and a lot of other things!
Man, who wants to translate this and give it back to forward along the chain with some ominous sounding warning to Mexican sleeper cells attached?

"They are onto us! Hide the Fritos!"

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Blarghalt posted:

I'll still don't quite understand why ellipses are so prevalent in conservative e-mail chains.
It's because the message is inchoate at the level of language, and ellipses can bridge two phrases when the only thing really linking them is that they're steps in the same tribal rain dance. (I used to use ellipses all the time.)

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Zwabu posted:

So, uh... what's the source of the Obama quote that says he only saw Gov. Rod once at the Bears game? I notice they didn't pin that down to any particular article, speech or time frame, big surprise.

That's because it's made up. The various copies of this expose email made on conservative blogs and in comments are the only place you can find it online.
Unfortunately that one isn't new, I saw it back in mid 2009.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Also most people have horrible eyes for obvious photoshops. Besides the lighting being awful in all of them I think that last one is a famous campaign-era photo of Obama.

Blarghalt posted:

Makes it seem ominous, "isn't that intersting..." and "you fill in the blanks here about UN blue helmets patrolling the streets, Sharia law and a carbon tax".

Hardcore Phonography
Apr 28, 2004

I have my eye on a suite in Baker Street.

Blarghalt posted:

Those are almost as bad as when "things are in quotes" which don't really need to be in quotes.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Don't forget completely random capitalization!

yatagan
Aug 31, 2009

by Ozma

quote:

This is HILARIOUS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEdsUeq6xoY (Jihad Suicide Hotline)

Thanks Mom :rolleyes:

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

How do you all deal with your families? If my mom sent me that kind of poo poo on a regular basis it'd certainly hamper our relationship. Not saying I wouldn't talk to her again or anything equally hyperbolic but a lot of that stuff is just plain infuriating.

yatagan
Aug 31, 2009

by Ozma

Coitus_Interruptus posted:

How do you all deal with your families? If my mom sent me that kind of poo poo on a regular basis it'd certainly hamper our relationship. Not saying I wouldn't talk to her again or anything equally hyperbolic but a lot of that stuff is just plain infuriating.

You just ignore them until they confront you then you make her cry because you don't hate muslims. Well, that's what I did anyway.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

chain email posted:

Heh. Liberals. :rolleyes:

bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

Got this from some guy I have never heard of named Roy Ransom. I don't like his politics but I love his name. The email included a bunch of blingee type pictures of the American flag being folded but gently caress uploading all those images :effort:

quote:

Meaning of a flag draped coffin

Meaning of Flag Draped Coffin

All Americans should be given this lesson. Those who think that America is an arrogant nation should really reconsider that thought. Our founding fathers used GOD's word and teachings to establish our Great Nation and I think it's high time Americans get re-educated about this Nation's history.
Pass it along and be proud of the country we live in and even more proud of those who serve to protect our 'GOD GIVEN' rights and freedoms.

I hope you take the time to read this ... To understand what the flag draped coffin really means ... Here is how to understand the flag that laid upon it and is surrendered to so many widows and widowers.

Do you know that at military funerals, the 21-gun salute stands for the sum of the numbers in the year 1776?

Have you ever noticed the honor guard pays meticulous attention to correctly folding the United States of America Flag 13 times? You probably thought it was to symbolize the original 13 colonies, but we learn something new every day!

The 1st fold of the flag is a symbol of life.

The 2nd fold is a symbol of the belief in eternal life.

The 3rd fold is made in honor and remembrance of the veterans departing the ranks who gave a portion of their lives for the defense of the country to attain peace throughout the world.

The 4th fold represents the weaker nature, for as American citizens trusting in God, it is to Him we turn in times of peace as well as in time of war for His divine guidance.

The 5th fold is a tribute to the country, for in the words of Stephen Decatur, 'Our Country, in dealing with other countries, may she always be right; but it is still our country, right or wrong.'

The 6th fold is for where people's hearts lie. It is with their heart that they pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States Of America, and the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.

The 7th fold is a tribute to its Armed Forces, for it is through the Armed Forces that they protect their country and their flag against all her enemies, whether they be found within or without the boundaries of their republic.

The 8th fold is a tribute to the one who entered into the valley of the shadow of death, that we might see the light of day.

The 9th fold is a tribute to womanhood, and Mothers. For it has been through their faith, their love, loyalty and devotion that the character of the men and women who have made this country great has been molded.

The 10th fold is a tribute to the father, for he, too, has given his sons and daughters for the defense of their country since they were first born.

The 11th fold represents the lower portion of the seal of King David and King Solomon and glorifies in the Hebrews eyes, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

The 12th fold represents an emblem of eternity and glorifies, in the Christians eyes, God the Father, the Son and Holy Spirit.

The 13th fold, or when the flag is completely folded, the stars are uppermost reminding them of their nations motto, 'In God We Trust.'

After the flag is completely folded and tucked in, it takes on the appearance of a cocked hat, ever reminding us of the soldiers who served under General George Washington, and the Sailors and Marines who served under Captain John Paul Jones, who were followed by their comrades and shipmates in the Armed Forces of the United States, preserving for them the rights, privileges and freedoms they enjoy today.

There are some traditions and ways of doing things that have deep meaning.

In the future, you'll see flags folded and now you will know why.

Share this with the children you love and all others who love what is referred to, the symbol of 'Liberty and Freedom.'

MAYBE THE SUPREME COURT SHOULD READ THIS EXPLANATION BEFORE THEY RENDER THEIR DECISION ON THE PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE. FORWARD IT; MAYBE SOMEONE WITH THE NECESSARY POWER, OR POLITICAL AND FINANCIAL INFLUENCE, WILL GET IT TO THEM.

IN THE MEANTIME, MAY GOD PROTECT US ALWAYS.

ONE NATION, UNDER GOD, WITH LIBERTY AND JUSTICE FOR ALL.

If you agree, Pass it along to others..................
If not, hit delete..................
Our Soldiers have preserved your right to make this choice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

quote:

If you agree, here's what I'm telling you to do
If not, here's what I'm telling you to do
Our Soldiers have preserved your right to make this choice!