Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

Unlucky7 posted:

I just got HoMM3, because I like King's Bounty and had always been interested in the series. Question though: How often should I be deploying new Hero units?

Not very often. Sometimes you'll want a hero to transport troops around or a backup defense, but for the most part you'll want to give the bulk of your army and experience to one hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

doctorfrog posted:

:c00l: GoG library slim DVD covers printed:

Those look pretty drat cool!

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Zachack posted:

Eh, I think it's pretty noticeable, too. The Kings Bounty one was pretty ridiculous.

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

No.

Is the art internal or submitted by the game's publishers?

CD Projekt do enjoy having ample women run around The Witcher in less than ample clothing.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I had Star General far before I was old enough to appreciate it :3:

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Andrigaar posted:

CD Projekt do enjoy having ample women run around The Witcher in less than ample clothing.

This is the reason why I couldn't make it past the third chapter in The Witcher: Every female character was either an old crone or a sex object, and it creeped me out quite a bit. One of my roommates commented, after watching me play it a while: "It's like every creepy nerdy shut-in's power fantasy."

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Devil Wears Wings posted:

This is the reason why I couldn't make it past the third chapter in The Witcher: Every female character was either an old crone or a sex object, and it creeped me out quite a bit. One of my roommates commented, after watching me play it a while: "It's like every creepy nerdy shut-in's power fantasy."

Then there's the card collection. Oh lord that card collection.

Did the enhanced edition get the uncensored cards stateside?

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Kammat posted:

Then there's the card collection. Oh lord that card collection.

Did the enhanced edition get the uncensored cards stateside?

Yep, its funny too because the cards look nothing like the characters, Its just kind of a "YOU WON BOOBS!!" kind of thing. I'm playing through it for the first time and those scenes feel ridiculously tacked on. There is a scene in a cave and you just rescued a bunch of kids who are standing around and people are outside wanting to kill you. You meet with one of the characters and your options are basically "get laid in a cave with a bunch of kids around" or "do not get laid in a cave with a bunch of kids around". Its kinda lazy and unnecessary.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The Witcher is pretty great despite the amount of nudity. Seriously, who cares? There is more boobs on French TV.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

GreenNight posted:

The Witcher is pretty great despite the amount of nudity. Seriously, who cares? There is more boobs on French TV.

I'm not saying its not a great game its just that It uses its boobs in inappropriate times.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

GreenNight posted:

I'd just rather they developed the female characters more beyond, "Wants to gently caress Geralt #27," "Wants to gently caress Geralt #35," and so on.

EDIT: And to clarify, I actually enjoyed the rest of the game. I just can't play games that so flagrantly objectify women like that. It gives me the same creepy feeling that hentai games do. The only other game I've had this problem with was Ninja Gaiden on Xbox (gently caress Team Ninja and what they did to the visual design of that franchise).

But to actually get this thread back on track: I guess there'll be no Thursday announcement since we got two games on Tuesday. It's a shame, but I've already got like 40 games in my backlog anyway. :shobon:

Devil Wears Wings fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jun 17, 2010

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Has GoG posted a new game on Thursday in the past month?

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

QUALITY SEIZURE-INDUCED GLITCH-HOP FUN!

I'd just rather they developed the female characters more beyond, "Wants to gently caress Geralt #27," "Wants to gently caress Geralt #35," and so on.

EDIT: And to clarify, I actually enjoyed the rest of the game. I just can't play games that so flagrantly objectify women like that. It gives me the same creepy feeling that hentai games do. The only other game I've had this problem with was Ninja Gaiden on Xbox (gently caress Team Ninja and what they did to the visual design of that franchise).

Actually if I remember correctly, it's like that in the actual books the game is based on. Casual action like that is a social norm or somesuch in their society.

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!

wretched_gavek posted:

I'm not saying its not a great game its just that It uses its boobs in inappropriate times.

:what:? there is no such thing as an inappropriate time for boobies, are you mad?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

SixOhSix posted:

Actually if I remember correctly, it's like that in the actual books the game is based on. Casual action like that is a social norm or somesuch in their society.

Plus he's a witcher. Monster slaying badass who can't give disease nor get you pregnant. Probably gets as many girls as The Beatles.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

I am finding difficult to enjoy this game (just got that Director´s Cut version) and not because of those stupid sex scenes (which are really stupid), but because Im finding the gameplay dull and the plot and characters uninteresting.

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!

Elias_Maluco posted:

I am finding difficult to enjoy this game (just got that Director´s Cut version) and not because of those stupid sex scenes (which are really stupid), but because Im finding the gameplay dull and the plot and characters uninteresting.

This game literally is a slow build, but it builds to such an intensity that it's nuts. When I first played it I got pissed and quit at the end of Act1 where you fight The Beast, because it was pissing me off and whatnot. Went back and played it again tho and actually gave it a chance, and wow. I cannot believe how crazy things become by the end, or what an amazing impact your choices have. It's going to be one of the very very few games I'll replay to see the different endings.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Bats posted:

This game literally is a slow build, but it builds to such an intensity that it's nuts. When I first played it I got pissed and quit at the end of Act1 where you fight The Beast, because it was pissing me off and whatnot. Went back and played it again tho and actually gave it a chance, and wow. I cannot believe how crazy things become by the end, or what an amazing impact your choices have. It's going to be one of the very very few games I'll replay to see the different endings.

That´s exactly where I am now: just killed the beast, but havent entered the city yet. So far, I have to say Im quite bored. But I will insist.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Why don't you take this to the witcher thread?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2960212&goto=lastpost

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

GreenNight posted:

Why don't you take this to the witcher thread?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2960212&goto=lastpost

I did, as you know. Is forbidden to talk about the same thing in two different threads?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Na, just figured this was for discussing GoG, and that thread was for discussing The Witcher.

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Na, just figured this was for discussing GoG, and that thread was for discussing The Witcher.

And every thread has someone who posts about where they think things should be strictly limited to. Such is the cycle of the forums.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

SixOhSix posted:

And every thread has someone who posts about where they think things should be strictly limited to. Such is the cycle of the forums.

Whoa, stop talking about the forums. This is the GoG thread, not the forums thread. <:mad:>

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Some threads are more assholish than others concerning topics apparently.

HatSmack
Jan 28, 2009
Just letting people know that there's a contest on GOG until July 2nd to win 4 free game codes. It involves costumes

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Maybe you should stop playing the game and play something you enjoy?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Charlie Mopps posted:

Maybe I will. But has I said on the other thread, I already bought the game and I want to get more out of the US$ 20 I threw out for it before giving up completely. If I had pirated the game before to try out (as I usually do), I would already have deleted it and moved on. But this time I was so sure I was going to love it, with all the Gothic comparisions and all the praise it gets around here, that I just bought it when I saw it for sale in gamersgate.

Besides, people keep telling me it gets better later on.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Charlie Mopps posted:

Woah, woah, woah, this thread is about getting games on gog then never playing them.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

AxeManiac posted:

Woah, woah, woah, this thread is about getting games on gog then never playing them.
GOG has been really blowing it on this front recently. Since the Atari stuff came out I haven't bought a single game not to play, although I do intend to buy and not play I-War at some point.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

AxeManiac posted:

Yes. It's the Steam thread without the DRM.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

One of the most recent GOG games I finished was MDK2. Which I got with a free coupon. When I bought Fallout 2, the first game I bought on GOG.:v:

Gashroom
Jul 13, 2005

Zachack posted:

GOG has been really blowing it on this front recently. Since the Atari stuff came out I haven't bought a single game not to play, although I do intend to buy and not play I-War at some point.
I'm surprised I-War 2: Edge of Chaos is not out yet. That is definitely worth buying and then not playing.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

AxeManiac posted:

Hey now, I play games I buy on GOG. I just don't play the good ones in my account, is all. Good ones I haven't played yet:
Gabriel Knight trilogy
Fallout trilogy
MDK
Freespace 2
Sacrifice
Sanitarium

Games I have actually played from my GOG account:
Restaurant Empire
Kingpin
Master of Magic

:(

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

I beat my purchase of Arcanum, that's some dedication. :colbert:

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

This weekend, zee deal is the Tex Murphy collection for 50% off, or individual Tex games for 30% off.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

SixOhSix posted:

I beat my purchase of Arcanum, that's some dedication. :colbert:

I played it for 2 hours before putting it down. I don't know why I bought it; I didn't even like it the first time I played it way back when. I guess I hoped I would like it better. Not sure why it never clicked with me.

I've not installed most of the games I bought on GoG, there's even some I've never played even back in the old days. I try to tell myself that as far as collection hobbies go, collecting old games I'll never (re)play is fairly cheap :smith:

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Whalley posted:

Games I have actually played from my GOG account:
Restaurant Empire
Kingpin
Master of Magic

:(

Even with a walkthrough, I can't beat the first level of Kingpin :(

Sporkles
Mar 15, 2010

This weekend, zee deal is the Tex Murphy collection for 50% off, or individual Tex games for 30% off.

Nice, I'll probably have to pick those up finally, even though I have Overseer and Pandora Directive still knocking around in disc form somewhere, I can't be arsed to find them or get them to work!

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

I'm so glad I didn't buy any of the Tex games before! That's a nice deal when you were asking yourself if it was worth it to buy them.

Did they have a weekend deal for Phantasmagoria? Those are games I played but would love to get back in my collection.

hogswallower
May 8, 2005

Precious Pig Bits

Hemish posted:

I'm so glad I didn't buy any of the Tex games before! That's a nice deal when you were asking yourself if it was worth it to buy them.

Did they have a weekend deal for Phantasmagoria? Those are games I played but would love to get back in my collection.

I don't think they have had a deal on Phantasmagoria because that is one of the few on the site that I still don't have that I want to buy and not play.

hogswallower fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 18, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

poo poo, more games I will buy because I wanted to play them but will probably never get around to playing them!!! ARGH!