Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pigstomper
Nov 6, 2006

OINKSAUCE
Wow what a great thread, wish I had seen it before I recorded this, already learned a ton of crap I can improve. You all have definitely inspired me to get some lessons.

I started singing casually about a year or two ago and I was definitely not born with the gift, it's a real struggle. I also feel like my voice is just bizarre to begin with, but I am hoping because my music is kinda oddball maybe it will work.

I'd really value some feedback and pointers. Got a whole lot of work yet to do on this thing, but being that it's in the early stages, I have time to redo anything unlistenable so let me know what sucks and what doesn't!

EDIT: New version ^

Pigstomper fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jun 12, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Law Dog posted:

I'm looking for suggestions for a singer looking into getting into screaming - I have a decent voice but want to branch out my abilities as my tastes in music have been shifting towards metal/hardcore etc.

I looked into Zen of Screaming but it seems to be tailored towards those who have already figured out how to do it and want to develop techniques to make sure they don't damage their voice.

First off dont think about tone at all, be prepared to make some ugly sounds, remember as long as you are on pitch, and not hurting everything is fine. Your voice will probably feel a little different night to night, gently caress it, work with what you've got.

Strong tone develops as a byproduct of endurance. Basically if you can develop the technique to yell for 40 minutes straight without feeling tired or burnt out then your voice will naturally start to sound like someone who is powerful at yelling. So dont think about trying to sound like this or that singer, just focus on making it through the set.

Secondly good breathing is all important, there are tonnes or resources on this but good breathing means NOT feeling like you're pumping your lungs like a bellows and expending your whole reserves of air with every push. Breathing should be easy, you should always feel like youve got enough air left over to extend the phrase if you felt like it.

Thirdly, once you've commited a certain amount of pressure at the onset of a note your body has immense trouble taking it back. What this means is that the moment you think "man I am going to smack the gently caress out of this upcoming note" you're screwed. Your body slams into it like a brick wall, your throat tightens up, you loose control of the note and in attempt to reign it in you tighten up even more.

The solution is when youre practising or warming up start by adding grit to the END of the note, not the beginning. Sing a note as a clean ahhhhh, moving into gritty then backing off. Once your body has a sense of how much pressure is sensible to apply and how much is just stupid things get a lot easier.

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

So what, are you quitting to join Homo Explosion?

Pigstomper posted:

Honestly this recording makes it impossible to critique you. It's so affected and hidden away by the other instruments. Also, it sounds a bit homogenous compared to the other textures. It took my a while to even notice someone was singing, I thought it was another instrument.

If you really want some pointers, isolate the vocal (ehhh) or choose another song/recording (yes).

Pigstomper
Nov 6, 2006

OINKSAUCE
Yeah, you're right, the mix is horrible. I don't have a good ear for recording at all and I think I double tracked it so sloppy its just too messy. Going to start over and try for more clarity and less reverb. Thank you for the input triple tech.

EDIT: Thanks Pyrthas for the input! I've just had a fear that the vocals were indistinguishable/buried cause I've never tried recording so much crap all in one song. I'm gonna redo it and it'll also give me a chance to try out all the excellent advice in this thread.

Pigstomper fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jun 8, 2010

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007

Pigstomper posted:

Yeah, you're right, the mix is horrible.
I'm not sure I'd go this far. I'm no expert, but it doesn't sound completely terrible to me, given the rest of the song. It is terrible for trying to hear mistakes in your singing, but that's a slightly different issue.

The Mystery Date
Aug 2, 2005
STRAGHT FOOL IN A GAY POOL (MUPPETS ROCK)
So here's an update on my progress. I'm still pitchy, but I think it's getting better. A lot of times when I try to keep phrases strong until the end, I extend the note too long, but I'm working on it. I haven't had time to practice much lately, as I just took the MCAT, but I should be back on track now that that's done with.

Better? It gets mad pitchy at the end because I suck at playing guitar and singing at the same time. I'll stop being lazy and record multiple tracks soon so I can focus on singing alone.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

The Mystery Date posted:

So here's an update on my progress. I'm still pitchy, but I think it's getting better. A lot of times when I try to keep phrases strong until the end, I extend the note too long, but I'm working on it. I haven't had time to practice much lately, as I just took the MCAT, but I should be back on track now that that's done with.

Better? It gets mad pitchy at the end because I suck at playing guitar and singing at the same time. I'll stop being lazy and record multiple tracks soon so I can focus on singing alone.

This is really a huge improvement! The only thing I'd suggest is trying to start your vibrato earlier on your vowels.

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

General notes. You're doin great!!!

You need a more classical "ee" sound as in "heals meeee". Smile real wide and say "ee" like you're a little kid in a picture going CHEESE! That's wrong. Purse your lips like you're singing a classical oooo sound, tall, dark, and egg-like in the mouth. Then, with minimal movement (there will be some), sing ee, while still retaining that oo shape. Through this conduit is the classical ee. It's darker and not as bright. Not as "The Nanny" if you will.

General musicality... (and I'm not saying this is easy) Every phrase should look like an arc. Know where you're warming up, know where the payload is, and keep strong until the end. Remember, you're singing to a point, which is usually the loudest and or highest note in a given set of measures. The beginnings and ends are softer, and the apex is obviously the loudest. Make a nice pretty arc and bring us from beginning to end beautifully.

General musicality #2... Held notes die naturally, and I mean that in a bad way. So you need to be there to hold it up. It's like a controlled coil or spiralling out. You aren't going out of control but you want to get louder at the end of the note, unless it's a natural diminuendo (like a fade out at the end of a song). But usually the held notes that are between two phrases, you want a steady sound at a flat or rising dynamic. Remember, all held notes die, so you need to be there every time. You're not running out of air or gasping as the note ends. You should be ready to sing more, even if there isn't any. Don't show us your lack of breath.

General musicality #3... Repeated notes, or even repeated devices NEED to sound different. Otherwise it's just really boring. Although both this song and your singing are done beautifully, the fact that it's largely the same each time, mezzoforte, blah blah... It's very drab. Purposefully make some verses darker or brighter or louder or something. Paint us a picture of contrast. Cuz right now we're in flatland.

Remember, every note has to be musical. In some phrases, you have a tendency (like many women singing the National Anthem) to just say sing your way through the notes that are before the payload/apex. Those are part of the musical phrase! Don't rush through them. Make them beautiful and have sustained pitches.

Speaking of pitches... Largely good. Your second "turned around" got sharp in the middle. Wom wom.

Also, you gotta own those key changes. There's what I'd say pretty simple modulation going on. Sometimes it is foreshadowed in the guitar, sometimes it's you. And it sounds like you're leaning on the guitar. Don't get me wrong, I do that too. But if you're the one signalling the key change first, you really have to own it and just know it and be there. The guitar is the one that's never going out of tune, so the onus is all on you. Own the key changes. Sing through/practice the modulations so they become pedestrian to you.

You are on your way, my friend. I love listening to your tracks, even just for funzies. Keep on keepin on and you will do great things. Keep pushing that classical envelope! Taller, rounder, more phrasey!

The Mystery Date
Aug 2, 2005
Thanks guys for the encouragement; as always, you give great advice. I'll try to bring out some more interesting dynamics and variation , since I'm getting better at keeping pitch tight while eliding consonants. I think next time I'll do something lower in my range so you can hear that.

And yeah, the second "turned around" pisses me off so much.

kangal
Mar 16, 2003

Pissed off at numbers.
So getting to band rehearsal means about an hour alone in the car, so (apart from just singing along to demos) what are some good warmups? I do scales but it never seems to give me a warmed-up ready to go feeling. Can anybody recommend some exercises to open the throat up for about 5 hours of practice?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

kangal posted:

So getting to band rehearsal means about an hour alone in the car, so (apart from just singing along to demos) what are some good warmups? I do scales but it never seems to give me a warmed-up ready to go feeling. Can anybody recommend some exercises to open the throat up for about 5 hours of practice?

Get a good buzz going in your nose then rev yourself up like a motorbike. Start from the lowest note you can sustain a buzz on then move up, take your time and go back over and over the same notes until you can really feel the vibration on them. Dont get louder as you go up, slip into head voice them falsetto.

This is also good if you're feeling phlemy becasue if you're doing it right it rattles the mucus clean off your chords.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jun 17, 2010

The Mystery Date
Aug 2, 2005
So this was just for fun, but I think it shows what my voice is like towards my lowest range. I actually recorded multiple tracks for this one, so there aren't a ton of guitar mistakes to throw me off.

The only glaring pitch problems are at 0:57 and 2:04, and they both make my soul cry. I also come in a bit early for the second chorus; oh well. Right now I think I'm having the most trouble trying not to say-sing quick lead-ins like "In other words", so I'll have to work on that. Other than that, let me know what you think of my attempt at jazziness.

cpach
Feb 28, 2005
This sounds fundamentally good to me, Mystery Date. I like what you've done with the guitar part, by the way. Aside from the pitch problems, the delivery, and particularly the dynamics, lack variation. Try using a fortepiano articulation on some of the longer notes, where you accent the start of the note, back off, and crescendo. In general I think it'd sound better if you imagined that you were really trying to sell the song to an audience.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

The Mystery Date posted:

So this was just for fun, but I think it shows what my voice is like towards my lowest range. I actually recorded multiple tracks for this one, so there aren't a ton of guitar mistakes to throw me off.

The only glaring pitch problems are at 0:57 and 2:04, and they both make my soul cry. I also come in a bit early for the second chorus; oh well. Right now I think I'm having the most trouble trying not to say-sing quick lead-ins like "In other words", so I'll have to work on that. Other than that, let me know what you think of my attempt at jazziness.

Your imitation of Frank Sinatra's singing style is terrible. Please don't do this. Jazz singers always do this. The forced nasal tone and the pacing - It's the worst. Just sing the drat song like a human being.

For the record, I like the other stuff you've posted. Just listen to someone besides Frank Sinatra doing Fly Me To the Moon. Here's a couple decent examples in different styles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQPiV_cauyI&feature=related - julie london

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srMkjFwsmeM&feature=related - diana krall

Edit: A little more constructive criticism after listening to your recording again. It sounds like you don't really know the song that well. Before you go wild with the pacing and phrasing, you have to own it. It might be worthwhile to listen to Nat King Cole's rendition, which is really slow and a pretty exact version of the music on paper, without any frills. You know there's some serious problems with being out of tune - I'd suggest practicing singing it without playing the guitar at the same time, because you pretty much nailed the guitar part.

AriTheDog fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 18, 2010

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

Dawg... Dawg. Mad pitchy. Like all over the place. And the styling is just... A mess.

You have a couple things working against you. One, it's a jazz standard. Like a super, super popular jazz standard. The rule of thumb is, the more common the song, the harder to sing. Even people who aren't trained musicians will if something is out of place if it is a song they are familiar with. Which makes things like the National Anthem so daunting.

Two, you are clearly in someone's shadow, probably Frankie's. Given that, you will always be short. No one will ever sing like him. You attempting to "be jazzy" is coming across like a poor imitation of Sinatra. So no bonus points there.

Again, going back to the classics here. Right now it feels like karaoke hour. Given your other clips, we know you're capable of way more than that. It would have been less jarring if you would have just sung the song "straight" and upright without all the jazz trimmings because then you could concentrate on things like tone and technique. When you're all schmaltzed up and imitating someone, all that technique goes out the window. And it shows.

Being a bit more robotic and less jazzy would help, I think. Maybe slower, less swingy. I realize this is super hard to do because again it is a jazz standard and everyone knows it. It's hard to NOT sing it like Frankie because he's so iconic. But you just have to go against the grain. Only after you have a solid, more personal connection with the song (sung properly and upright and all that) should you add your own swing and styling to it.

Maybe if you could redo the guitar arrangement... Something way more mellow... Somber? Just so there's more you and less swing-a-ling...

Vowels. Lot's of say-singing going on. Like lots. Gotta always be upright and proper for now. Again, super difficult given the high level of familiarity with this song. If you don't feel like if you have stick up your rear end, you're probably not putting enough effort into shaping your vowels correctly.

More pitch problems, 1:10, 1:15, not really owning those resolutions... 1:50, not sure where the tone was, guitar or voice. 1:55, slipping on the descent. More before and after 2:04... The chord change on 2:17. And the ending was just weird in general.

Your attacks are generally very punchy. Ka-chunk-a-chunk. No real beauty or softness. Very karaoke. The 0:29 "Let me see what spring", the "let me" could have been an easy launcher for a phrase but you're just punching it. Let. Me. Instead of a classical leh-t'me.

Hmm. I dunno. Hard to really go into anything more specific. It's just swinging all over the place. And it doesn't need to. Gonna listen to your older stuff to make myself feel better. :D

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Triple Tech, I appreciate your thoroughness in responding to everyone, but perhaps you could post some more of your own vocal work? I think it would help us get back to the spirit of the thread, which is more mutual growth and feedback for our vocal technique and less bulleted notes from one guy.

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

I'll be the first to admit, that will probably never happen. It's a combination of I don't have any clips to show (I'm all choir) and I don't know how to record. Even if I did know, I probably wouldn't post anything because I'm too embarassed. If that's a shade too hypocritical, I completely understand and am more than willing to stop posting if it pleases the thread.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I certainly don't want to discourage you from providing feedback if people find it to be useful, but there's not much holding you back from recording at home. You can buy a cheap headset microphone from Target for like 10 bucks and download a free audio program like Audacity for basic recording, which is really all you need for this kind of stuff. You won't have the benefit of ultra-quality equipment, but expensive condenser microphones don't improve your voice, anyway.

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Triple Tech posted:

I completely understand and am more than willing to stop posting if it pleases the thread.

No way! This thread would be buried on page 8 by now if it wasn't for you. :)

As an amateur, it's always hard to gauge where your voice is at unless you perform regularly infront of strangers. Since most of us here probably only sing occasionally in front of potentially-biased friends, it's really great to have a consistent impartial person giving honest feedback - even if that feedback is "You suck, and here's what needs fixing".

Also I don't think you need to post any of your own vocals in order to critique (although I'm a little curious :)). The main point of this thread should be helping people identify and fix the flaws in their singing, not an e-penis contest / ego stroking exercise. For all I know you could sing like a dying dog, you've still given out some great advice that's definitely helped me out.

Plus the fact that you're brutally honest makes it much more encouraging when you do say something positive. You're like this thread's very own Simon Cowell. :P

The Mystery Date
Aug 2, 2005
Thanks guys for the blunt feedback; its nice to know full well when I make a major blunder.

Yeah I was doing the whole wannabe Frank thing. Listening to him is what actually got me interested in singing. Now that I look back, I really did completely throw out everything I've learned from this thread in that performance trying to jazz it up. I'm just not there yet, or even close really. Unfortunately, the music I'd like to be able to sing most is jazz standards, followed by pop songs. Should I try to do a standard I've never even heard before, and see how that turns out, or just stick to pop songs with simpler melodies for now?

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

The Mystery Date posted:

Thanks guys for the blunt feedback; its nice to know full well when I make a major blunder.

Yeah I was doing the whole wannabe Frank thing. Listening to him is what actually got me interested in singing. Now that I look back, I really did completely throw out everything I've learned from this thread in that performance trying to jazz it up. I'm just not there yet, or even close really. Unfortunately, the music I'd like to be able to sing most is jazz standards, followed by pop songs. Should I try to do a standard I've never even heard before, and see how that turns out, or just stick to pop songs with simpler melodies for now?

I think standards are a great place to learn. Can you list a few of your favorites? I could probably look at that list and pick out one that could be sung straight.

The Mystery Date
Aug 2, 2005
Right now I'm thinking of doing "People Will Say We're in Love", because it looks like it has an interesting melody and I've never heard it before. The lyrics are kind of silly, but whatever. I just started getting into jazz a little while ago, so I don't know a ton of standards outside of Frank's domain, but I really like "All the Things You Are", "Witchcraft", "Body and Soul", "Cheek to Cheek", and "Satin Doll". Now that I think about it I might do the last one, since it's pretty straight forward. I've also been working on a version of "Why Try to Change Me Now" by Cy Coleman. Let me know which one you think would be best to start with.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
I'd recommend Cheek to Cheek to anyone because it's a fairly easy song with syncopation that sounds good sung without screwing with the phrasing. Anyone interested in jazz should learn to sing it if only because it's fun to sing. That said, pick any song you enjoy and listen to several different people who aren't Frank Sinatra performing it.

I like Why Try to Change Me Now, but it seems like a pretty tough song with lots of key changes. All the Things You Are is a good choice too, but it's a really tough song to sing well.

Just listened to a few renditions of Body and Soul and it's a really beautiful song. I'd only really listened to the instrumental Coleman Hawkins version before.

Edit: One reason I'm so harsh with people who imitate jazz singers is because it's a loving epidemic. Most men who sing jazz imitate Frank Sinatra, and most woman Doris Day or maybe just Jessica Rabbit. I've heard Fever and Fly Me To The Moon done the same way by fifty terrible female jazz singers because they care more about the image and myth of the jazz singer than the music, and their mind's eye image of a jazz singer is a woman in a cocktail dress draped across a piano or a man in a tuxedo with slicked back hair on stage.

Jazz isn't about that poo poo at all. Jazz is about you. It's about whatever you want to make of it, within the confines of certain rules. You can push and pull the tempo. You can adjust the melody. You can speak-sing or belt or sing breathily when you feel like it, but you have to own the music first. It's all about variations on a theme.

I'm not a Sinatra fan by any means, but what he did right is to take standards and make them his own, in his own way. Unfortunately, since then, too many jazz singers have discovered him, and copied him - and it sucks. When singing jazz, sing it how the music makes you feel. Listen to the lyrics, and use your adjustments to tell a story.

AriTheDog fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jun 19, 2010

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007
Everybody says this, I know, but the most important thing when doing jazz is to listen to jazz. Listen to the radio (jazz24.org is a decent station for pretty straight-forward, classic jazz), listen to albums, whatever. Get a feel for the tunes, the rhythms, the phrasing, etc. Don't listen to only the singers, either; jazz vocals are just one more instrument in the band. Hear something you liked in that sax solo? Or drum solo? Sing it! (Sing it loud, like anything, of course.) Play it on your guitar!

Then, if you hear a song you like, like AriTheDog said, search for other recordings of it. Hear what other people are doing with it. (And again, that can include instrumental versions!) Even a little 30- or 60-second clip on Amazon can give you new ideas. I've used cduniverse.com before for the actual search; you can search by song there.

So go do that for all the songs you listed. Or just one or two. Here are three versions of Body and Soul to get you started, from three of my favorite vocalists, roughly in order from the most standard interpretation to the least. (I really like Tormé and Jordan for their up-tempo scat, but their ballads are good, too.)

Mel Tormé: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6M3v1QDysc
Carmen McRae: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7ktgyt3OTo
Sheila Jordan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwGd7dSxuyQ (I'm not completely crazy about this version—she's at her best on bop—but it's still a good illustration of what you can try, and some parts of it are nice.)

(I like the Cheek to Cheek recommendation, too.)

Pyrthas fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 19, 2010

Law Dog
Jun 21, 2009

"Yeah, I heard you the first time."

exquisite tea posted:

Triple Tech, I appreciate your thoroughness in responding to everyone, but perhaps you could post some more of your own vocal work? I think it would help us get back to the spirit of the thread, which is more mutual growth and feedback for our vocal technique and less bulleted notes from one guy.

I think that if we waited for other people to give constructive feedback from a classically-trained point of view there would be several aspiring singers who wouldn't be making any progress.

Thanks Triple Tech for your dedication to vocal goons! Thanks Three Red Lights for answering my question! :)

Air Rock
Nov 15, 2009
Alright so I've been working supa supa hard on finishing three tracks for my EP. Two of them I'm satisfied enough with to get feedback on.

Posting them here because I'm mainly a vocalist.

Lemme know what ya think?

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

The first track is all about the seams coming apart. Maybe you've heard the adage that good art doesn't show how it is constructed. In many parts in both tracks, we can hear how poorly constructed it is. Under constructed, whatever. I'm not going to comment on the punk timbre, I actually kind of like it (I like Yellowcard/Ocean Avenue a whole bunch). So I'm still talking about technique and things like that.

The first eight bars sounds pretty okay. You're setting the stage for the song and you're going for that punk vibe. Then when more instruments come in on the next eight, your technique starts to slip and slip all the way through the end of the song. Maybe you did all of this in one take?

"I DEH monstrate in the mirror AT THE..." You can already hear breathy, whiny attacks on demonstrate and at the. I get that punk is supposed to be really affected and whiny at times, but there is a limit. And you're crossing it. You're showing us the seams. It's falling past punk into whiny singing.

The way to counter against this is to again still think classically in the framework you're in. Don't slide up to held high notes unless it's a conscious decision (a la R&B). Also, don't drop the support of notes on the end of phrases like an anvil. You still have to sing through them beautifully.

The duet sections I like in theory but in execution something is just missing. You're not really nailing those intervals.

By the time we get to 3:40, it's super super clear that you're out of breath. It's like you're running a marathon and you're on the last lap and you're really tired. Don't show us that in the recording!

There isn't a lot of musical complexity in this song... You can pretty much tell where every verse and chorus is going and you reuse a lot of devices/rhythms... That being said, your intervals have to be spot on. The listener is going to habitualize what the correct phrase sounds like and if you deviate from that, it will show. Sometimes you were a little flat.

Also, if the song is going to be so predictable and homogenous, something has to give. Something has to be different. If the text is something more intimate and direct, you can act on it more and sing it less, a sort of mix between spoken text and singing. You just need to paint more contrast because right now it's the same the same the same, besides the bridge or whatever.

The second track I think needs more annunciation. It's hard to make out the lyrics. Also something about the execution is bothering me. It's just not atmosphery enough. Like you're too present and it's cutting through the affectation.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Law Dog posted:

I think that if we waited for other people to give constructive feedback from a classically-trained point of view there would be several aspiring singers who wouldn't be making any progress.

Thanks Triple Tech for your dedication to vocal goons! Thanks Three Red Lights for answering my question! :)

A few more things re: screaming.

I tend to think of a sung note as being kind of a buzz. As in your chest buzzes, your nose buzzes and that buzz is what makes the sound ring out clear. A scream is NOT like that, if you think of a scream being as a sung note with some extra grit on it youre stacking extra tension onto an already kind of taut sound and your body rebels.

When I yell the sound feels like more behind the eyeballs, but more of a tickle than a buzz. Like a the feeling of a gust of air blowing (which is what it is), dont let your vocal chords go taut as if it was a sung note. You've got to let them distort and loose control a little and guide the sound exclusively with your diapghram.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 22, 2010

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Air Rock posted:

Alright so I've been working supa supa hard on finishing three tracks for my EP. Two of them I'm satisfied enough with to get feedback on.

Posting them here because I'm mainly a vocalist.

Lemme know what ya think?

This would sound a lot better if you had proper breath support - it sounds like you're singing from your upper chest and throat, really breathy and weak. Try breathing in from your stomach and singing fuller notes. A good way to practice this is singing scales or fifths or whatever string of notes you want slowly, spending at least a few seconds per note. Remember to take deep breaths before starting singing, and listen carefully to the quality of your voice, and how breathy/full the sound is.

Air Rock
Nov 15, 2009
Thanks, Triple Tech. That was exactly what I was looking for. More work to be done!

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Today I was in a very singy mood so I decided to record myself...

The only recording equipment I have is a camcorder and I have absolutely no skill with instruments or any other way of getting backing tracks into a recording. So my attempts are purely vocal.

Paolo Nutini - Rewind http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDjccfHxqZs
Paolo Nutini - Autumn http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md3uhWQC0Dc

Stuff I picked up on myself besides the terrible recording, my rhythm is off fairly consistently throughout, probably due to the lack of any grounding backing music, and my voice sounds a little weak in a couple of instances :/, also i ran out of breath a few times :(

Anyway any criticisms and comments are welcome :)

ruinedhero
Jun 6, 2010

We are only serving our Gods
I've been playing guitar for about 10 years and started singing about 8 months ago but knew I was pretty mediocre and after reading this thread and some other sites about singing I found a vocal coach who works at a church near me and has two graduate degrees in music. He charges $15 per half hour and $30 for an hour and the first consult was free.

I told him my goals, I wanted to sing a clean alternative rock style and gave him Queens of the Stone Age's: Go with The flow as the style I wanted to sound like - no screaming just a good powerful voice.

It was pretty cool, he first checked my pitch which to my surprise he said was fine. He said I can find notes without much difficulty at all. He did some more exercises and I asked how was I truthfully - he said I'm using about 10% of my potential because I have a deep voice with range but I need to learn breathing, posture, etc.

I go for my first real lesson tomorrow, I'm doin hour long sessions for the summer then going to half hour sessions in the fall. I'm really looking forward to getting my voice in shape over the rest of the year.

I know in the exercise forum here that many people post a journal of their progress - starting tomorrow if I were to post me singing the same song every week would you all give me feedback on how I am progressing?

Thanks!

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Carrier posted:

Today I was in a very singy mood so I decided to record myself...

The only recording equipment I have is a camcorder and I have absolutely no skill with instruments or any other way of getting backing tracks into a recording. So my attempts are purely vocal.

Paolo Nutini - Rewind http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDjccfHxqZs
Paolo Nutini - Autumn http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md3uhWQC0Dc

Stuff I picked up on myself besides the terrible recording, my rhythm is off fairly consistently throughout, probably due to the lack of any grounding backing music, and my voice sounds a little weak in a couple of instances :/, also i ran out of breath a few times :(

Anyway any criticisms and comments are welcome :)

This is really good for someone without any background in instrumental music or training/experience. I dunno what your goals are, so it's hard to give any real criticism.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

AriTheDog posted:

This is really good for someone without any background in instrumental music or training/experience. I dunno what your goals are, so it's hard to give any real criticism.

I'm just looking to be as good as I can be casually, no real goal other than that. But thanks for the compliment :)

ruinedhero
Jun 6, 2010

I finished my first vocal lesson today, I'm trying to relax my throat and body more but it is tough. Here is the first week of my singing and I hope to see a progression from this rough cut to something much better in the next few months.

Go with the flow (first verse and chorus)

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

Pitchy. Sounds like you're imitating someone.

ruinedhero
Jun 6, 2010

Triple Tech posted:

Pitchy. Sounds like you're imitating someone.

It's a bad habit I am trying to break. I spoke to my vocal coach about that and he says it is a bad habit many singers have at first, told me about singers who all the sudden have a British accent when they sing a Beatles song. I have a long ways to go, next practice is next Thursday so I will work on the pithiness/emulating issues over the next week. Thanx

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
What should I look for in areasonably priced mic for singing? If I sing into my desk mic all I get is bzhhh unless I use my 'sensitive' voice.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

ruinedhero posted:

I finished my first vocal lesson today, I'm trying to relax my throat and body more but it is tough. Here is the first week of my singing and I hope to see a progression from this rough cut to something much better in the next few months.

Go with the flow (first verse and chorus)

This sounds really tacky but if you're singing acapella click your fingers or stamp your feet or something to keep time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruinedhero
Jun 6, 2010

Three Red Lights posted:

This sounds really tacky but if you're singing acapella click your fingers or stamp your feet or something to keep time.

I'm usually playing guitar when I sing to level me, but this is actually a good idea for my acapella attempts. I'll get a metronome going through my headphones for the piece I post next week. Thanks for the help, off to practice :)

• Locked thread