Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
How have so many people not seen It's a Wonderful Life? Clogproof Office, fix that poo poo.

Just coming off of Liberty Valance. I'm a bit mixed about this. First, John Ford knew how to use Jimmy Stewart in exactly the same way that Frank Capra did. However, he didn't seem to know what to do with John Wayne. His slave companion was the more interesting character, especially the subtle criticisms of racism presented throughout the film (and the one really obvious and patriotic one that I'm convinced Ford made fall flat). Jimmy Stewart and Lee Marvin were fantastic, but the serious mishandling of John Wayne's character and the completely useless Andy Devine frustrate me that I can't like this as much as The Searchers or Rio Bravo, which is a shame since postmodernist John Ford is usually very critical of modernist John Ford, and because this was the highest ranked Western on my Criticker. Bonus points for the doctor looking like a fist-fighting Abraham Lincoln.

Wolfgang Pauli's Shameful-Seens posted:

The Godfather Part II - It's something I want to see, but I never got the Bluray Godfather set and I have a rule about not watching Godfather movies in standard definition. It's nowhere near the original, but it still stands up on its own. Every moment that Robert De Niro is on screen is a joy. The juxtaposition of the two stories reveals the tragedy, but also works against the film's cohesion. Vito's story is tight, engaging, and well-written. Michael's is ambulatory and exploratory and at times plain boring. Overall, though, the film is fantastic - if unnecessarily long.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - I've had this for just about a year and never bothered watching it. I'm a monster. I'm a bit mixed about this. First, John Ford knew how to use Jimmy Stewart in exactly the same way that Frank Capra did. However, he didn't seem to know what to do with John Wayne. His slave companion was the more interesting character, especially the subtle criticisms of racism presented throughout the film (and the one really obvious and patriotic one that I'm convinced Ford made fall flat). Jimmy Stewart and Lee Marvin were fantastic, but the serious mishandling of John Wayne's character and the completely useless Andy Devine frustrate me that I can't like this as much as The Searchers or Rio Bravo, which is a shame since postmodernist John Ford is usually very critical of modernist John Ford, and because this was the highest ranked Western on my Criticker. Bonus points for the doctor looking like a fist-fighting Abraham Lincoln.

M - Nope. I was supposed to watch this with a friend for her Film class, but she watched it without me and I never thought to get it from my school's library after that. Just saw M. Man, I thought I knew what it was about, but it's a tour de force. The lack of ambient noise was a bit jarring since I'm not quite used to early sound technology, but the lack of music was pitch perfect. The rough shod cinematography absolutely works in its favor. Pretty much everything from the office heist on is perfect.

The City of Lost Children - I loved Amelie and Micmacs and my Jeunet friend mentions this all the time (same friend as with M), but I guess I just never had the inclination to track this one down. It looked absolutely fantastic, the designers really pulled all the punches. Of course the acting was terrific, this was a Jeunet film after all. Dominique Pinon is my favorite Jeunet regular, so I was pretty excited that he got a ton of screen time here. Ron Perlman struck me as an awkward choice, but his face is certainly weird and awkward enough for him to land a male role with Jeunet. I'm not sure where this stands compared to Amelie, but I don't think it beats Micmacs.

Lonesome Dove - I've been wanting to watch this for ages and I just got the Bluray. I'm going to get to this sooner or later, but with my presently limited time the only movies I have time to watch are the ones in this thread. It's really good, but not in a way that makes it a literary Western. This is more of a television Western, in the spirit of shows like Bonanza and Gunsmoke and films like Tombstone. The true marvel of this isn't the production value or cinematography or narrative, it's that it can go on for six hours and not have a single unnecessary scene or wasted moment.

Wolfgang Pauli's Shameful List posted:

The General - I love Buster Keaton, but I've never come across this.

Tokyo Story - I have never seen an Ozu film. I don't have an excuse for this one, I just never took the time to watch one.

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp - I know I'll love this, but the opportunity has never come up.

Jules and Jim - I saw the first ten minutes or so, but I wasn't in a movie-watching mood when I decided to see this and never really came back to it. It's a shame, because I love Truffaut.

Minnie and Moskowitz - I've been intrigued by this for a while now, but I know almost nothing about it.

Play Time - I've never seen a Jacques Tati film and I really liked the clips I've seen of this, but there were other Criterion blurays ahead of this on my list.

High Noon - I pride myself on having seen a ton of Westerns, but for some reason I never took the time to watch this one. I'm thinking if this is chosen then I'm going to watch Rio Bravo right after it.

High and Low - I'm all over Kurosawa, but I've never taken the time to watch one of his non-historic films. This is the one that always interested me the most.

Princess Mononoke - I've never seen a Miyazaki film, though not for lack of trying. Ultimately, I chose to skip the Miyazaki movie marathon my friends held so I could spend the day in bed with my girlfriend.

Die Hard - This is the only entry in the Die Hard trilogy that I can't really remember well enough to have an opinion about.

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jun 21, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Wolfgang you've had a ton of serious movies so far its time for the manly action of Die Hard.
anyway my list
1. Citizen Kane. Dunno why really I guess I've been scared off by its reputation.
2. The Good The Bad and The Ugly Zero excuse for this one I'm a pretty big fan of westerns
3. Blade Runner reason for number 2 but replace western with Sci-fi plus I'm not sure which version to watch.
4. Schindlers List I guess I got scared off by how stark and depressing this film seems.
5. Hitchcocks career, zero excuse.

LionYeti fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jun 21, 2010

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
*edit*
Nevermind, misread the post.

I think next round I'm going to do only Arnold Schwarzenegger films.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

If you're going to do Arnold movies the one I'd choose for you would be Raw Deal

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006
Alright I've been a bad CD poster and I took forever to watch Amelie, but I loved it so I guess that makes up for my tardiness. It was a very good flick and it was nice that I was given a film to watch that wasn't horrifically depressing (sorry Noxville).

Anyway here's my list

Solaris (Tarkovsky)
Stalker
Night of the Hunter
Spartacus
Barry Lyndon
Amadeus
Network
Nashville
Dog Day Afternoon

EDIT: \/\/\/\/ poo poo, I knew I was forgetting something.

Blakout you need to watch Vertigo. If you post here you need to see at least on Hitchcock film.

SneakySneaks fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 21, 2010

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

SneakySneaks posted:

Alright I've been a bad CD poster and I took forever to watch Amelie, but I loved it so I guess that makes up for my tardiness. It was a very good flick and it was nice that I was given a film to watch that wasn't horrifically depressing (sorry Noxville).

Anyway here's my list

Solaris (Tarkovsky)
Stalker
Night of the Hunter
Spartacus
Barry Lyndon
Amadeus
Network
Nashville
Dog Day Afternoon

You need to pick one for blakout.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

penismightier posted:

OH MY GOD BEN HUR IS SO LONG

It loving flies by though, it really is an enjoyable movie.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

SneakySneaks posted:

Solaris (Tarkovsky)

I just watched 2001 last night, so you get Solaris.

2001 was beautiful. Every shot was fantastic and I'm so glad to have seen it for the first time on bluray. I didn't find the length to be an issue at all and really enjoyed the pacing. I also loved the simplicity with which it presented some of the most complex of questions, and that everything is left for you to make what you will of it.

The music was fantastic, but I'd be happy to never hear Thus Spoke Zarathustra again.

FancyMike posted:

1. The Third Man - I have the Criterion bluray. Started watching it once but got interrupted.

2. 8 1/2 - Bluray on my shelf, just haven't gotten to it yet.

3. 2001: A Space Odyssey
The Godfather: Part III - Figured I might as well add the last movie I own but have yet to see. I've heard a lot of mixed feelings on this on and have yet to decide if it's worth watching.

4. Raging Bull - Another classic on my shelf that I haven't gotten around to.

5. Ikiru - I love Kurosawa, but haven't seen this one yet. It's been recommended to me many times.

6. Paris, Texas - I've heard a lot about this one. The only Wim Wenders I've seen is Wings of Desire and I thought it was great.

7. Andrei Rublev - I've enjoyed every Tarkovsky I've seen so far. Got about an hour into this one once a couple years ago when I was pulled away. Haven't gotten back to it yet.

8. Ben Hur - It's supposed to be amazing and long I guess? There are other long movies on this list already, so why not.

9. Stagecoach - Been digging Westerns lately and the new Criterion release has this one fresh in my mind.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Godfather Part 3 is poop, yo.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
FancyMike you get Raging Bull. I just watched it for the first time recently and it's truly fantastic. When it was over I really wanted more, and I rarely do that with movies. Di Nero is my hero :3:.

I watched Amelie finally and I absolutely adored it. The quirky, understated humor was great and Audrey Tautou is gorgeous! I loved the editing and the effects they did, like x-raying on Amelie's pocket to reveal a key and whatnot. It reminded me a lot of Royal Tenenbaum's, especially the beginning where they introduced the characters. Just absolutely fantastic.

Here's my updated list.

The Machine posted:

1. Raiders of the Lost Ark
If I have seen this film in it's entirety, I don't remember really anything about it. It's beyond shameful that I haven't seen it... it's pathetic.
Casablanca
Se7en

2. Blue Velvet
The only Lynch I've seen is Dune, which I really enjoyed. It's shameful I haven't seen this (hey that's what this thread is for!).

3. Chinatown
I've only seen two Polanski films (The Ninth Gate and The Pianist), so I guess you could count Rosemary's Baby here, too. Just haven't gotten around to them yet.

4. The Deer Hunter
I can't believe I haven't seen this. I don't even know much about it aside from Walken and Di Nero.
Amelie
The 400 Blows

5. Once Upon a Time in the West/America
I'll count these under the same number because I have the same reason for both: I love Leone, but I haven't gotten around to 'em yet.

6. Spartacus
I love Kubrick, and I even love Showtimes' Spartacus: Blood and Sand, so the fact I haven't seen THIS is just... dare I say, shameful?

7. Rear Window
I haven't seen a lot of Hitchcock, but this is the highest on IMDB's list and I haven't seen it, so why not start there?

8. It's a Wonderful Life
No loving clue. I'll just say I never watched it because nothing can top Elf and A Christmas Story as my favorite Xmas movies, heh.

9. American History X
I know about bitches bitin' curbs, do I really need to watch it? (Yes, tell me to)

10. Seven Samurai
What can I say? I love the Kurosawa films I've already seen. I suppose the 200+ minute length has kept me from sitting down to it, though.

D-d-do iiit.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

The Machine, you should watch Spartacus. Some people say it's lesser Kubrick but it's still a great film.

At the start I didn't like In a Year with 13 Moons the characters were strange but not that interesting and it kept reminding me of Almodovar, who I don't like much. But somewhere along the way it hooked me, the broken down shell of a person who's desperately trying to make sense of his/her life is very interesting, even if not wholly sympathetic. There were some minor annoyances, like the rambling monologues, but by the end the strengths more than overcame them. Everything in the film is depressing, but I actually didn't find the film itself depressing, just kind of sad, which is a good thing because if it made you as depressed as the content it'd be unbearable. I also have to mention the line dancing to a Rock Hudson movie which was absolutely hilarious and perfectly appropriate.

Updated list:
Greed and Napoleon 4 hour silents, I wonder why I haven't seen them? Also, trying to figure out which version to watch is a good excuse to put off watching them.

Those are the only two films in the TSPDT top 150 I haven't seen.

Satantango Hey there's maybe a pattern in the films I haven't seen.

Berlin Alexanderplatz This is longer than the above and unlike those I'm less confident I'll like it.

The Burmese Harp and Fires on the Plain I've owned these for like 2 years but fear they'll depress me.

Soy Cuba Well gently caress, I need to see more Kalatozov and this is probably his most renowned film. I've put it off because I'd heard the propaganda was too blunt, but at this point I don't care.

Chelsea Girls A 3 hour film directed by Andy Warhol. That's the extent of my knowledge about this, I've never seen anything by Warhol so I'm curious.

Olympia I don't think Triumph of the will is that great so this isn't something I've made much of an effort to watch it but I do have a nagging curiosity to see it.

The Big Red One Apparently it's a pretty well regarded war movie.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

This is one hell of a movie. Talks with Fuller about it started in the 50s and even as a 1980 release it was doing things twenty years before its time. My one big complaint is the editing. An enormous amount of material was cut from this. Warner Bros restored 49 minutes of it, so make sure this is the one you're watching. It probably won't seem too groundbreaking in the wake of Band of Brothers or Saving Private Ryan, but this is the film that allowed those to be made.

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

WHAT DID YOUR FATHER TEACH YOU?

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I have seen none of the movies on your list, so just watch this one. Hope it goes well.

As for Tokyo Story I found the writing to be a bit lacking (may have been the subtitles fault), but the atmosphere and style of the movie more than made up for it. The way the camera was used (or not used) really made it feel as if you're getting a view into these people's lives, as if you're just sitting there watching these things happen. The stillness of the background and lack of background music really added to that effect. I didn't feel emotionally connected to the characters, but found myself tearing up when Keiso went to go sit by himself at the funeral. This movie made me feel bad for not calling my father on father's day.

Updated list, choose wisely:

1. A Fistful of Dollars or For a Few Dollars More I hated westerns when I was younger. Funnily enough the one that changed my mind was The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Still not sure why I haven't seen the first two.

2. Rashomon Thinking about it, I don't think I've seen any Kurosawa.

3. Bicycle Thieves Heard of it, never really been tempted to watch it.

4. The Conformist Just recently found out about this movie, and it has not yet made it up my Netflix.

5. The Night of the Hunter Again, no good reason.

6. Sunrise Same as The Conformist

7. The Grapes of Wrath I guess I really had no appreciation for the old time masters until the last year or so. I'm sorry.

8. The African Queen Once again, no good reason.

9. The Rules of the Game Honestly never even heard of this film.

10. The Seven Samurai My brother is in love with this movie, so I've seen bits and pieces of it, but never the whole thing start to finish.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
tokillthesunflower: watch Bicycle Thieves

So I watched Downfall and it was really good. I haven't seen any other World War Two film that offers the same perspective on things. It was also the most interesting look at Hitler that I've ever seen.

Updated list:
The Idiots - I'm a big Von Trier fan, but I still haven't seen this one (or any of his early ones other than The Element of Crime)

The Piano Teacher - I love the Haneke films I've seen (Cache and White Ribbon and I even liked both Funny Games)

Z - Been meaning to see this one for quite a while

Fitzcarraldo - Working my way through Herzog and haven't gotten to this one yet. Plan on following it with Burden of Dreams

Downfall
The Birth of a Nation - The length on this one is a tad discouraging. I haven't watched any other silents that are quite this long. I'm also worried the movie will piss me off, so that makes the length even more discouraging. It's pretty much the most "canon" film period, though, so I do still want to see it.

Welcome to the Dollhouse
Man with a Movie Camera - I had actually never heard of this until I came upon it on the Internet Archive a few years ago. It looks intriguing, but I do kind of worry that I won't really "get" it.

Babel - I've seen Amores perros and this one's gotten some really good (and some less good) reactions

Scenes from a Marriage - One of the big Bergmans I haven't seen. Based on the previous posts, I'd opt for the theatrical cut.

Breathless
Pink Flamingos
Do the Right Thing
La dolce vita - I've seen quite a few Fellinis, but not this one yet.

Audition - Never really watched anything by Miike, but I'm willing to give him a chance

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

dotCommunism, watch Fitzcarraldo. It was my first Herzog (and hopefully not the last; someone please pick Aguirre! :ohdear:) and it really left a lasting impression on me. It's in the same vein as Citizen Kane or There Will Be Blood; one dude topples all adversity, for better or for worse. A great character study with some beautiful cinematography. Enjoy!

Finally watched The Incredibles, conveniently right after seeing Toy Story 3. I still think that Ratatouille is Pixar's finest (although I still have to see Up and Cars), but this film is an excellent contender. It's got all the great hallmarks of the company and of super hero adventures, which unfortunately also made it a little predictable (but I guess the drama comes from the characters' relationships rather than the action, which was a great move by Bird). I was a little underwhelmed by the ultimate climax, but if you see it as the reunion and strengthening of the family, it works. Also, what's the deal with goons calling this Ayn Rand propaganda? I guess I can see some of the arguments, but it's no more of an offender than any other classic super hero series.

Also finally watched Casablanca, with my Dad no less! I suppose I'm glad to check it off the list, but I wasn't blown away. I was impressed by the film's precise construction more than I was by the story. Everyone played their parts to perfection... I just wish I could have gotten more out of it. Maybe in a few years.

MY SHAMEFUL LIST

1. The Godfather, Part II
This seems like the logical choice. I'm curious to see if what many people call "the better film" is, in fact, better. I'm not in any rush to see it though.

2. Schindler's List
Something about this has always rubbed me the wrong way. The few clips I've seen have made the film seem manipulative as hell. Basically, I don't want the theater/my mom's basement to get all dusty with the feeling that I've been tricked. I've also never been a huge Spielberg fan (he does do his job well, though).

3. Breathless
I thought I was more of Godard-person than a Truffaut-person until I saw The 400 Blows. Everyone gushes over this one, so I guess Jean-Luc has another chance to win me over. Unfortunately, I'm pretty fickle with French New Wave films because none of them have really blown me away. Could this be different?

4. A Clockwork Orange
My dad is a huge Kubrick fan, so when he lent me his collection a few years ago, I finally got to seeing stuff like Dr. Strangelove and 2001. He didn't like A Clockwork Orange when he saw it in theaters and so he never bothered buying it. I know so much about this film already from popular culture (mostly The Simpsons) that I haven't felt the need to seek out a copy. Apparently it's still shocking today; I'm afraid I'll just be underwhelmed and/or disgusted.

5. 12 Angry Men
I think I saw this when I was 4. Nevertheless, I've yet to see it since I've developed basic analytical skills. I know the premise but I'm clueless about specific scenes or characters. It's been floating around my Netflix queue and my various "check this out" lists, but it's never piqued my curiosity. Someone convince me that this old movie is great!

6. Any film by Satyajit Ray
I know absolutely nothing about Indian cinema, and since FFD raves about Ray, I think I should check him out. I'm not sure where to start with this guy; it'd be great if my picker recommended one that's available on Netflix. Otherwise I probably won't be able to see the film in question.

7. North by Northwest
I know about the corn maze scene, and that's about it. I like Hitchcock and I like Cary Grant. I even have the DVD at my house. I don't understand. What's stopping me? I really want to know why a plane would chase Cary Grant in a corn maze, dammit.

8. A Fistful of Dollars
After a great experience with The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, I'm curious to see some more of Leone's work. I know this features Eastwood's "Man With No Name" character (which I found out was just a marketing ploy) and that it's a remake of Yojimbo (a great Kurosawa film, but not my favorite). My interest is piqued!

9. Aguirre: The Wrath of God
I don't know why I never heard about this in film school. Come to think of it, Herzog has always been an enigma to me. I've only seen Fitzcarraldo and I've wanted to see his other films. I guess I just assume this one will be a boring but beautiful European "thinking" film and I haven't been in that mindset in a while.

10. Once Upon a Time in the West
People say it's better than the Dollars Trilogy, especially with regards to the soundtrack. Again, Leone has made a great impression on me, so I definitely should see his other great films. I don't know anything about the plot (or any famous scenes).

Finally Watched: Goodfellas, The Godfather, The Good The Bad and The Ugly, Casablanca, The Incredibles

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

thegloaming posted:

Also finally watched Casablanca, with my Dad no less! I suppose I'm glad to check it off the list, but I wasn't blown away. I was impressed by the film's precise construction more than I was by the story. Everyone played their parts to perfection... I just wish I could have gotten more out of it. Maybe in a few years.

The precise construction and perfect writing and delivery is what makes it so great. It's not the deepest of films but it's a film that has absolutely no weaknesses which is no small feat. It's the epitome of classic Hollywood, a mix of romance, smart dialogue and intrigue all played to perfection. I felt the same the first time I watched and when I rewatched it a few years later I kept looking for flaws and becoming more and more impressed by just how perfect it is.

Also, now that you mention Aguirre I'm reminded we haven't seen any hat eating yet.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

The precise construction and perfect writing and delivery is what makes it so great. It's not the deepest of films but it's a film that has absolutely no weaknesses which is no small feat. It's the epitome of classic Hollywood, a mix of romance, smart dialogue and intrigue all played to perfection. I felt the same the first time I watched and when I rewatched it a few years later I kept looking for flaws and becoming more and more impressed by just how perfect it is.

That sums up my thoughts pretty succinctly. It's virtually flawless, and I can certainly appreciate it on that merit alone. However, I personally did not develop a strong attachment to it, so it came across as more of a cinematic treat than a full course meal (that takes forever to digest and comes with heartburn).

And yes, I demand hat eating.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

thegloaming posted:

1. The Godfather, Part II
This seems like the logical choice. I'm curious to see if what many people call "the better film" is, in fact, better. I'm not in any rush to see it though.

This was what I just had to watch, and the greatest gift I can think of right now is to grant the same amazing experience to you.

I feel like such an idiot for ignoring this movie for so long. I loved it more than the first film. Gordon Willis is truly one of the master cinematographers of the 20th century; the kind of things he can bring out with darkness are truly impressive. There were brilliant performances by just about everyone; I especially adored John Cazale's work. I doubt I could uniquely say anything about it beyond this point, so I'll stop.

My list:

1. Fanny and Alexander: I have seen zero Bergman outside of Seventh Seal.

2. 8 1/2: I have seen zero Fellini, period.

3. Grand Illusion: All I know about this movie is that all film buffs think it's great and that Woody Allen references it at least once. Sounds like my cup of tea.

4. Rashomon: I've seen a good chunk of Kurosawa's stuff, but in his case, there's always more great stuff to be seen.

5. The Rules of the Game: Another Renoir, apparently. The only Renoir I've seen is The Crime of Monsieur Lange, which I hated, but I also saw it when I was 15 and hated everything that didn't have Bruce Campbell in it.

6. Stroszek: My experiences with Herzog's famous stuff is really limited. I've pretty much only seen his recent stuff.

7. The Wages of Fear: I don't know, it's old and it's French. It's probably good.

8. Paths of Glory: I don't know why I haven't watched this. I know early Kubrick is great; I loving love The Killing and Spartacus.

9. Satantango: Lot of love floating around this forum for this movie.

10. City of God: I've heard great things; I don't know much about it but I doubt I won't enjoy it.

Watched- The Godfather: Part II.

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

I'm not bad, I'm just misunderstood.

Admiral Goodenough posted:

Whattup, fellow Swede! :respek: Did your grandad make you watch Bergman too?

Heh, If he did, do you think it would be on this list?

oh, and I just got done with Audition.

FUUUUUUUCKKKKKKKK. That was...something. Sukiyuki Western Django was kinda meh, but the more I watch the more I fall in love with Miike. He really knows how to do weird and interesting films.

My updated list list:
1 Nikita Flew right under my radar. Could be really good though.

2 Deer Hunter I'm madly in love with vietnam movies already so why haven't I seen this? Garh, I'm so lazy.

3 Anything by Lars Von Trier except for Antichrist and The boss of it all Again, I'm lazy.

4 12 Angry Men Heard much about this one, dunno why I haven't seen it.

5 Jin-Roh - The Wolf BrigadeFirst anime movie on this list. I know almost nothing about this, so I've been hesitant to check it out. You never really know with anime, but I wanna see this.

6 Yojimbo Haven't watched much Kurosawa, wanna get started and this one looks interesting.

7 Jackie Brown I am all over Tarantinos dick, need to see this now.

8 Blade Runner I... just don't know man. Why oh why? Maybe it's the cult status that scares me. What if I don't like it? Then I'm a monster :cry:

9 Heat My dad bought this one when we were in Thailand when I was very young, so I considered it a "grown-up" movie until I was like 16. Then the cassette was broken. :(

10 Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels I like Guy Ritchie, and this is supposed to be his best movie from what I've heard. Never got around to it.

Slvbarek posted:

10. City of God
Dude, watch this. Trust me, it's really good.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Just finished Die Hard. I barely remembered anything from when I saw this years ago, and the later entries into the series definitely missed the point of the film. Die Hard is so well-informed, comic, and playful that it sets the bar for all other action films after it. It knows the conventions and tropes and doesn't just stay within the confines of its genre, it actively engages them in the same type of conversation that other genres do. I've rarely seen a film so seething in satire and comedy that takes itself this seriously, and it works marvelously.

Hellbunny, you're going to see Blade Runner. Make sure you choose the right version. Anything with voice-over narration is not the right version.

Wolfgang Pauli's Shameful-Seens posted:

The Godfather Part II - It's something I want to see, but I never got the Bluray Godfather set and I have a rule about not watching Godfather movies in standard definition. It's nowhere near the original, but it still stands up on its own. Every moment that Robert De Niro is on screen is a joy. The juxtaposition of the two stories reveals the tragedy, but also works against the film's cohesion. Vito's story is tight, engaging, and well-written. Michael's is ambulatory and exploratory and at times plain boring. Overall, though, the film is fantastic - if unnecessarily long.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - I've had this for just about a year and never bothered watching it. I'm a monster. I'm a bit mixed about this. First, John Ford knew how to use Jimmy Stewart in exactly the same way that Frank Capra did. However, he didn't seem to know what to do with John Wayne. His slave companion was the more interesting character, especially the subtle criticisms of racism presented throughout the film (and the one really obvious and patriotic one that I'm convinced Ford made fall flat). Jimmy Stewart and Lee Marvin were fantastic, but the serious mishandling of John Wayne's character and the completely useless Andy Devine frustrate me that I can't like this as much as The Searchers or Rio Bravo, which is a shame since postmodernist John Ford is usually very critical of modernist John Ford, and because this was the highest ranked Western on my Criticker. Bonus points for the doctor looking like a fist-fighting Abraham Lincoln.

M - Nope. I was supposed to watch this with a friend for her Film class, but she watched it without me and I never thought to get it from my school's library after that. Just saw M. Man, I thought I knew what it was about, but it's a tour de force. The lack of ambient noise was a bit jarring since I'm not quite used to early sound technology, but the lack of music was pitch perfect. The rough shod cinematography absolutely works in its favor. Pretty much everything from the office heist on is perfect.

The City of Lost Children - I loved Amelie and Micmacs and my Jeunet friend mentions this all the time (same friend as with M), but I guess I just never had the inclination to track this one down. It looked absolutely fantastic, the designers really pulled all the punches. Of course the acting was terrific, this was a Jeunet film after all. Dominique Pinon is my favorite Jeunet regular, so I was pretty excited that he got a ton of screen time here. Ron Perlman struck me as an awkward choice, but his face is certainly weird and awkward enough for him to land a male role with Jeunet. I'm not sure where this stands compared to Amelie, but I don't think it beats Micmacs.

Lonesome Dove - I've been wanting to watch this for ages and I just got the Bluray. I'm going to get to this sooner or later, but with my presently limited time the only movies I have time to watch are the ones in this thread. It's really good, but not in a way that makes it a literary Western. This is more of a television Western, in the spirit of shows like Bonanza and Gunsmoke and films like Tombstone. The true marvel of this isn't the production value or cinematography or narrative, it's that it can go on for six hours and not have a single unnecessary scene or wasted moment.

Die Hard - This is the only entry in the Die Hard trilogy that I can't really remember well enough to have an opinion about.I barely remembered anything from when I saw this years ago, and the later entries into the series definitely missed the point of the film. Die Hard is so well-informed, comic, and playful that it sets the bar for all other action films after it. It knows the conventions and tropes and doesn't just stay within the confines of its genre, it actively engages them in the same type of conversation that other genres do. I've rarely seen a film so seething in satire and comedy that takes itself this seriously, and it works marvelously.

Here are my Arnold picks. I have the same reasoning for all of these, save one, in that I either never bothered tracking these down or saw them at so young an age that I can't remember a single thing about them. The one exception is True Lies. I played the poo poo out of the Super Nintendo game and saw the movie maybe twice when I was 10 or so, but I was 10 and it's True Lies, so I didn't get any of it.

The Arnold List:
Predator
Total Recall
True Lies
Conan the Barbarian
Last Action Hero
Commando
Kindergarten Cop
Raw Deal
Collateral Damage
The 6th Day
Eraser

I probably won't pick this list in sequence, but I'll be running this list more than once.

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 23, 2010

Neilpeartnoy
May 21, 2006
I watched Midnight Cowboy last night and enjoyed it. I don't think this movie could be made today in the hollywood system. Some of the subject matter in this film surprised me, since it was made in 1969. I enjoyed the acting and especially liked how they told most of Joe Buck's backstory. The editing really stood out during some of the flashbacks/dreams sequences. If you were thinking about seeing this film, I recommend you do.

Wolfgang Pauli, you're going to watch Predator. I believe this film still holds up very well and you get to see not one, but two governors battling a space alien!

My list:

1.The 3rd Man - How did I get through film school and not see this?

2.Chinatown - I've watched the first half, but got interrupted with something mundane and never finished it.

3.Bonnie and Clyde - This one always slips my mind when I am looking for something to throw on the Netflix que.

4.Midnight Cowboy - I don't know why I have not seen this movie.
4.Patton - This is my grandfather's favorite movie. I think everyone in my family has seen this except me.

5.Last Tango in Paris - I like Brando a lot, especially early Brando.

6.The Apartment - I have had multiple people tell me this is a must see and I like Jack Lemon.

7.MASH - I respect Altman, but I tend to not like his stuff.

8.Network - Started watching this, but had to go back to work and never finished it.

9.Guess Who's Coming to Dinner? - I'm out of excuses as to why I haven't seen something.

10.Life is Beautiful - I used to really hate Roberto Benigni, I'm over it now.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Neilpeartnoy: The Apartment is a great little movie; go forth and enjoy it.

I watched my recommendation, It's a Wonderful Life, and loved it. Far from being pure 'message' fluff, George felt like a real, relatable character because he was so conflicted about his future/resistant to his fate. That little hesitation in Potter's office was a great scene. Even the whole angels subplot part didn't come across as silly because it was so simple.

Updated list:

It's a Wonderful Life
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Going to try to stick with a theme as I cross movies off. Kind of easy with both Capra and Stewart.

Singing in the Rain - I hate musicals, so I'm not sure I'll ever see this under normal circumstances.

On the Waterfront - I know the speech, the plot outline, and have heard this is one of the great acting performances of all time, but I've just never gotten around to seeing it.

Aguirre: The Wrath of God
The Elephant Man - Avoided for obvious reasons [it's about an elephant man]...mistake?

The Graduate - I've seen the ending, just never seen the whole movie.

Stand by Me - Until a couple of months ago I wasn't aware that there was a movie titled Stand by Me; I had only heard of the song on the oldies station. Apparently it's not only a movie, but one that many people like.

8 1/2
A Fellini movie not named 8 1/2 - I can tell watching 8 1/2 that I'll like his movies, so pick one!

Ed Wood
Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas - I've seen the peyote episode of Sopranos, so I'm not sure if watching this would be a bit redundant.

The Last Waltz - Directed by Scorsese, but the fact that much of the focus is on music performances hasn't ever turned me on to this documentary (should I be in the mood to listen to music, watch a movie, or do both?)

City Lights - Never had any interest in watching this movie, but I gather it's rather brilliant for the times (or any time).

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Arkane posted:

I watched my recommendation, It's a Wonderful Life, and loved it. Far from being pure 'message' fluff, George felt like a real, relatable character because he was so conflicted about his future/resistant to his fate. That little hesitation in Potter's office was a great scene. Even the whole angels subplot part didn't come across as silly because it was so simple.

Updated list:

It's a Wonderful Life
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Going to try to stick with a theme as I cross movies off. Kind of easy with both Capra and Stewart.
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance would be a good replacement after you see Mr. Smith. It's a fitting conclusion to Jimmy Stewart's young idealist character.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance would be a good replacement after you see Mr. Smith. It's a fitting conclusion to Jimmy Stewart's young idealist character.

I would squeeze You Can't Take It With You in there first.

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

I'm not bad, I'm just misunderstood.
Watched Blade Runner.

Loved it. A really beutiful story of what it means to be a human. Dunno how I'm supposed to feel about the "Deckard was a replica" theory that the fans have been throwing around here on the forum though...

My updated list list:
1 Nikita Flew right under my radar. Could be really good though.

2 Deer Hunter I'm madly in love with vietnam movies already so why haven't I seen this? Garh, I'm so lazy.

3 Anything by Lars Von Trier except for Antichrist and The boss of it all Again, I'm lazy.

4 12 Angry Men Heard much about this one, dunno why I haven't seen it.

5 Jin-Roh - The Wolf BrigadeFirst anime movie on this list. I know almost nothing about this, so I've been hesitant to check it out. You never really know with anime, but I wanna see this.

6 Stalker Who the gently caress is Andrej Tarkovskij? Since I have no idea, I wanna check him out. This one seems to one of his better films, so I might as well start here.

7 Jackie Brown I am all over Tarantinos dick, need to see this now.

8 Nightmare Before Christmas A movie that has haunted me since I was a little kid. I wanna get closure!

9 Heat My dad bought this one when we were in Thailand when I was very young, so I considered it a "grown-up" movie until I was like 16. Then the cassette was broken. :(

10 Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels I like Guy Ritchie, and this is supposed to be his best movie from what I've heard. Never got around to it.

Arkane posted:

A Fellini movie not named 8 1/2 - I can tell watching 8 1/2 that I'll like his movies, so pick one!
Watch Fellini Amarcord. It's awesome.

Hellbunny fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 24, 2010

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Hellbunny posted:

6 Stalker Who the gently caress is Andrej Tarkovskij? Since I have no idea, I wanna check him out. This one seems to one of his better films, so I might as well start here.

This is what you are watching. It's my favorite Tarkovsky.

Shrek - I avoided this for nearly 10 years because it looked like something I would hate. But looks can be deceiving. They can also... not be deceiving. Within the first three minutes, there's a fart joke and "All Star". I have a strict "no Smash Mouth" policy. As the movie progresses, there are jokes about pee, snot, ear wax, bad breath, dicks, balls and rear end. When it's not being "irreverent" and crude, it's loaded with horribly tired gags, vacuous pop culture parodies, and uninspired attempts at fairy tale irony. However, it wasn't a total loss. The animation is quite good for its era, even managing to avoid the "uncanny valley" on the human characters most of the time. The story, when stripped of the awful sense of humor, is actually rather engaging and charming. And I truly enjoyed Eddie Murphy's performance, his delivery of "Look at my eye twitching" even made me laugh out loud. It made me long for the days when he did funny movies. But at the end, the movie pissed away any goodwill it had earned with a jokey montage, over a cover of "I'm a Believer" by... loving Smash Mouth. So painful. So painful. Rating: 5

Since my previous list was based on a terrible idea, I've revamped it with movies that I'm actually somewhat ashamed at not having seen.

1. Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels or Snatch - Never seen any Guy Ritchie. I don't think I'd like him, but I ought to see what the fuss is about.

2. The Haunting - This is supposed to be good, right? Robert Wise is hit or miss with me, but I've liked all his film noir.

3. Dolemite - I saw Petey Wheatstraw and hated it, but I've since learned that it's considered to be one of the worst Rudy Ray Moore movies. I love House Party, it'd be nice to have a reference point for the Dolemite jokes.

4. Sleuth - Certain goons keep raving about it.

5. The Lion King - Not a Disney fan at all, but it seems like most people hold this one in high regard.

6. The Iron Giant - Wrote it off initially, have since learned it's actually good.

7. Plan 9 from Outer Space - Maybe my greatest shame of all, I've never actually seen an Ed Wood movie. The same way some people say about Rear Window and Casablanca, I feel like I've gleaned all of this movie from pop culture, but I should still see it once.

8. Two English Girls - The only Truffaut movie I haven't seen. I would have gotten to it eventually, now you can force me to!

9. A Tanú - My highest PSI at Criticker.

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

WHAT DID YOUR FATHER TEACH YOU?

FitFortDanga posted:

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels

I think some Ritchie will be a nice contrast to Shrek.

Just finished watching The Bicycle Thief (why on earth did it get pluralized?). What a beautiful and heartbreaking movie. On top of it, all that beauty felt completely effortless. There didn't seem to be anything deliberate about the camera placement, the cinematography, or the writing, it all felt extremely natural. It almost didn't feel like I was watching a movie at all. The use of non-professional actors was great too, none of their performances felt rehearsed.

Updated list:

A Fistful of Dollars I hated westerns when I was younger. Funnily enough the one that changed my mind was The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Still not sure why I haven't seen the first two.

Rashomon Thinking about it, I don't think I've seen any Kurosawa.

The Conformist Just recently found out about this movie, and it has not yet made it up my Netflix.

The Night of the Hunter Again, no good reason.

Sunrise Same as The Conformist

The Grapes of Wrath I guess I really had no appreciation for the old time masters until the last year or so. I'm sorry.

The African Queen Once again, no good reason.

The Rules of the Game Honestly never even heard of this film.

The Seven Samurai My brother is in love with this movie, so I've seen bits and pieces of it, but never the whole thing start to finish.

The Passion of Joan of Arc I'm running out of excuses here.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

tokillthesunflower posted:

Rashomon Thinking about it, I don't think I've seen any Kurosawa.

Watch it, it's a great place to start.

My list of SHAME:

1. Vertigo – I’ve watched a criminally small amount of Hitchcock

2. The Rules of the Game – I really don’t know anything about this film besides the praise it gets

3. 8 1/2 - never watched a single Fellini film

4. Tokyo Story – same with Ozu films

5. Barry Lyndon – Kubrick’s one of my favorite directors and I’ve put this off for a while

6. Raging Bull – Haven’t seen any of Scorsese’s films from the ‘80s

7. Rear Window – like I said, I need to watch more Hitchcock

8. M – I’ve had the DVD since Christmas

9. Ikiru – one of the famous Kurosawa films I haven’t seen

10. Pan’s Labyrinth – been meaning to see this for a while now

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Nroo, check out Raging Bull. It deserves every bit of praise it gets. The sound design is particularly amazing, and Robert DeNiro delivers his best performance, in my opinion.

Just watched The Night of the Hunter. Loved it to death. Mitchum was amazing, the cinematography was amazing, I loved everything about it. Anyone who hasn't seen this should just watch it right now.

I've revised my list to include more obvious films I need to see. All of these I've put off for no apparent reason:

1) The Godfather Trilogy
2) Casablanca
3) ANY Fellini movies. Just pick one for me to start with and I'll watch it.
4) To Kill a Mockingbird
5) The Seven Samurai or Ikiru
6) Harvey
7) Blade Runner
8) Harold and Maude
9) Schindler's List
10) Dr. Strangelove

Finally watched so far: Mean Streets, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Night of the Hunter

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

FitFortDanga posted:

4. Sleuth - Certain goons keep raving about it.

Yeah, well what do they know?

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

ProfessorClumsy posted:

Yeah, well what do they know?

I don't know. They never finished telling us.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

codyclarke: You shall watch Dr. Strangelove. It is fantastic and funny and if you don't love Peter Sellers by the end of it then there's probably something wrong with you. Sellers plays three different characters in the film and they're all so different that I didn't realize one of them was him until about halfway through the film. Great great movie. I hope you enjoy it.

I watched The Seventh Seal and it was really good. It was actually quite a bit funnier than I expected. One of the characters in the film has a very sarcastic mocking sense of humor that isn't often portrayed in many of the black and white films that I have seen. It's also interesting to see Max Von Sydow as a young man, as he's played the "probably sinister" character in almost everything else I've seen him in.

My list:
1)The Man Who Wasn't There - I love the Coen brothers. This movie has been on my instant queue for a while but I haven't sat down to watch it yet. Looks great.
2)Infernal Affairs - I loved Scorsese's The Departed, which is adapted from this movie. I've heard from several people on this forum that it is actually better than The Departed.
3) In Cold Blood - Have heard this is good, but it's not a movie the girlfriend would enjoy and we usually watch movies together.
4) The Last Temptation of Christ - I love Scorsese, and this is one of the few movies he's put out that I haven't seen.
5) Rob Roy - A friend tells me that I'd really like this movie. Liam Neeson doesn't disappoint, so I should probably listen to him.
6) The Killing - I tend to enjoy Kubrick's work. Haven't seen this or Lolita and would like to at some point.
7) What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? - Have heard it's fantastic.
8) The Lady Vanishes or anything else Hitchcock - I've seen Psycho and Vertigo, but I really want to see some other stuff by him.
9) THX 1138 - I've had this on my netflix instant queue for a while, but haven't gotten around to watching it. I like those space movies that this guy made later on. I also haven't seen American Graffiti, so that could go in here.
10) Dawn of the Dead(Romero) - I've seen Night of the Living Dead, and I've seen the remake of this by Zack Snyder, but I've never seen this one. Love zombie movies though, don't know why I haven't picked this one up.

Finally watched: Battlefield Earth (don't watch this), Seven Samurai, The Seventh Seal

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Jolo posted:

I watched The Seventh Seal and it was really good. It was actually quite a bit funnier than I expected.

This is the universal reaction to Seventh Seal. No one (including myself) ever expects it to be funny.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Hey Danga, what would you suggest for a first-time Ray?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

thegloaming posted:

Hey Danga, what would you suggest for a first-time Ray?

I was asked this in my Ray thread and I still think Pather Panchali is a good place to start. Charulata would be a good entry point too.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I would really respect someone who stepped forward to tackle the bottom 100 of IMDB. (I have yet to see one film in the bottom 100.)

The Shining - Solid movie that kept my attention the whole time. I wouldn't say I was blown away because this is one of those movies that I've seen bits and pieces of so sadly there weren't any big surprises. Many bizarre images will stick with me though.

My initial reaction was to think that Jack was a hallucinating alcoholic until Wendy saw the bear thing? (lol) The movie feels open to much more interpretation than your average. The aspect of "shining" feels like something right out of a Stephen King novel but I don't think it was explored too deeply by Kubrick.

Funniest moment was when Wendy found the stack of papers showing Jack's literary masterpiece.

I also watched
Sunset Blvd. Excellent. I've seen a few Billy Wilder movies and this along with The Apartment are two of the best movies I've seen in the last few years. His movies maintain that timeless modern feeling.

I also thought the narration of Holden was some of the best I can remember from any movie. The scene with the dead monkey was just hilarious and unexpected..then to top it off he has some wry quizzical narration wondering if the "monkey was king-kong's grandson"..just hilarious.

found the narration:

quote:

While reading the script, the real mortician "for comedy relief" arrives with a white baby casket for the dead monkey's funeral - "It was all done with great dignity. He must have been a very important chimp, the great grandson of King Kong, maybe."

Then later Artie Green exclaims "Judas H. Priest!" I hadn't realized that this was in the vernacular before Bob Dylan's song and the group. Another scene that stuck out was when Norma sees the mic and glares at it with disdain and pushes it away. After I watched the extras on the DVD it was even more significant to realize that many of the actors were playing themselves to a degree.

New list:

#8 One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - I've seen so many Jack Nicholson movies that this has been put on the back burner. I saw the trailer once.

#13 Seven Samurai - I saw the Magnificent Seven many years ago on VHS and have avoided repetition (even though this is the original, seminal work.)

#23 Once Upon a Time in the West - I know absolutely nothing about this film except from this thread which states that "...once Claudia Cardinale [comes] onto the screen [you] forget about the runtime..."

#40 Vertigo - I've seen a big chunk of this on TV but not from beginning to end.

#42 Lawrence of Arabia - I watched a good portion of this movie when I was younger.
I've seen Doctor Zhivago and The Bridge on the River Kwai multiple times so I'd probably like this too.

#44 Amélie - I've seen this one discussed frequently and also on many top lists but kind of forgot about seeing it.

#49 Paths of Glory - I've heard this referenced before but know little about it.
The movie poster has Kirk Douglas with a bored look on his face.

#50. The Departed - The local library has this and every few months I see it and say "hey, I need to watch this." Then I flip it over and notice it's a fullscreen copy and fling it away in disgust. At least I touched the DVD case.

#51 The Pianist - When this came out I didn't feel like seeing yet another WWII movie (I must've seen at least ten that year.) Since then I have forgotten about watching it.

#52 To Kill a Mockingbird - I've read the book and I've sat through multiple tiresome discussions on it in the classroom. I may have actually seen all of this but definitely not in one session.

Jolo posted:

10) Dawn of the Dead(Romero)

I recommend this as it's one of the best in the genre. BTW everyone I recommend a movie for disappears..I hope the same fate does not await you.

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.
I'll have a go at this. It seems like my "haven't seen" list is quite a bit longer than my "have seen" list despite the fact that I enjoy watching movies quite a bit. I think I'm so focused on seeing recent/current movies that I've never taken the time to get through all of the backlog I want to see. I took most of these from the AFI top 100 and the IMDB top 100 as well as a few that I just honestly feel embarrassed that I've never seen.

1) Citizen Kane - No real reason for this one except I generally watch movies with friends and if I suggested we watch a black and white movie from the 40s, I'd likely be laughed out of the room. Also, the whole "rosebud" thing has been spoiled for me so I don't know how much that kills the movie.

2) The Godfather - I have even less of a reason for not seeing this. I own it and I love "mobster" movies. I'd rank Goodfellas and Casino among my favorites.

3) One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Again, this is a movie I own. I've read the book, I saw a stage performance of it, and I loved both. I'm also a pretty big Jack Nicholson fan. I guess I'm just worried that it won't live up to the novel.

4) Raging Bull - This is one of those movies that when people mention it, I always say "I've never seen that, but I hear so many good things I really should soon" I promptly forget about saying this and never watch it. I'm down with De Niro so this would definitely be an enjoyable watch.

5) 2001: A Space Odyssey - I tried watching this when I was younger and a little less patient and got really frustrated with it. I couldn't get over the fact that I had been watching for like 15 minutes and hadn't heard any dialog at all. I'm a little more patient and can appreciate scenes without dialog; but the mental block remains.

6) Any Terminator movie - No real reason here...missed them when I was younger and now everyone has seen them and really has no interest in watching them again. I hear they're good, but :effort:

7) Any Alien movie - Are these even considered good? I feel like this is another series of movies that everyone has seen and everyone assumes you've seen that I've just completely missed them all.

8) 12 Angry Men - I honestly know nothing about this movie other than the fact that it's about a jury I guess? I hadn't even really heard of it until poking around this forum and it shows up on lists from time to time.

9) Chungking Express - I've never really watched any asian movies and I'd recently seen this recommended. Is this a good place to start, or maybe you have something else that would be good and get me excited about delving into the asian classics.

10) Jackie Brown - I've loved everything Tarantino has a part in and for some reason I've just never gotten around to watching this. Again, not sure if it's supposed to be good or bad but Tarantino directed so it's got to at least be fun.

Zogo posted:

#50. The Departed - The local library has this and every few months I see it and say "hey, I need to watch this." Then I flip it over and notice it's a fullscreen copy and fling it away in disgust. At least I touched the DVD case.

Find your preferred format and get on this! I really love this movie and it's absolutely worth seeing.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Doug, you got Alien. The first two are considered absolute classics by everyone ever. Ever

Ben Hur This was the movie I was the most skeptical of. I hate just about every piece of media about Rome and to be honest Jesus kind of creeps me out. A glossy 4 hour epic about Rome and the glory of god sounds pretty hellacious. Turns out I was wrong - this is quite a movie. It was a bit overripe - the last twenty minutes felt longer than the first 3 hours - but for the most part it really enjoyable. The famous naval battle and chariot chase didn't disappoint, still exciting after seeing them dissected and copied and deconstructed my whole life. The camerawork was terrific, the characters were sharply drawn. Smart and fun and genuinely epic.

Also, the music was terrific. Parts just had to be an inspiration on Morricone's Dollars soundtrack.

New List:

Trouble in Paradise/ any Lubitsch No excuse.

Shadows No excuse. I loved Woman Under the Influence. Also I love Charles Mingus. So I really don't know what the gently caress's wrong with me.

The Red Shoes I'm scared of musicals

Black Orpheus No excuse.

Gone with the Wind I've seen a good half hour of it. It wasn't bad.

L'Atlante I really liked Zero De Conduite until it got going, then I hated it. But what the hell?

All That Heaven Allows No excuse

Mr. Hulot's Holiday Tried to watch it - DVD was broken.

The Departed Just doesn't look that good.

Blow Up Again, no excuse.

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar, In the Mood for Love, La Dolce Vita, Anatomy of Murder, The Grand Illusion, Ben-Hur

penismightier fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jun 25, 2010

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.

penismightier posted:

Zogo, get in on Once Upon a Time in the West

I know you probably posted this before you saw mine, but could you do a rec for me before this gets too jumbled up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

The angriest Russian around
penismightier, you get Gone With the Wind since I've already recommended Blowup to someone else in this thread. I actually prefer the Departed (the only other film I've seen on your list), but you should probably see this.

Just watched The Great Dictator, my first Chaplin film. I thought it was hilarious and touching at the same time. I was taken out of it for a second when I saw the treatment they got in the concentration camp, but then I remembered that the general public didn't know the full extent of the Nazi's crimes (and read that Chaplin wouldn't have made the movie had he known). It's a great movie at any rate.

Updated list:

1. Fitzcarraldo- I love Herzog, so that I haven’t seen this is inexcusable.

2. Koyaanisqatsi- I own in on video, so watching would be easy, but…

3. Red River- See # 2

4. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid- I loved the Sting, so now I feel the need to see Newman and Redford’s other movie together.

5. The Apartment- Billy Wilder is a filmmaker I greatly respect, and I love Jack Lemmon, but I never got around to this.

6. Prizzi’s Honor- I recorded it, but it was never watched…

7. Time Bandits- I love Terry Gilliam, but never got around to this one.

8. The Last Waltz- It’s the only major Scorsese work I haven’t seen

9. Badlands- I've loved the Malick films I've seen (Days of Heaven and The Thin Red Line), and this one always intrigued me, but it only just occured to me that I haven't seen it.

10. Charllie Chaplin’s silent films

Finally seen: The Searchers, Pather Panchali, The Sting, Ran, The Great Dictator