Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAMiasm
Oct 5, 2006

Go MC Saints!
forgot to say how i dry my gloves after washing. i lay them on a towel (i think they're supposed to be palm up, but it doesn't really matter), and put them outside in teh shade. don't put them in direct sunlight or near a heat source!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

hughsieblingwish posted:

speaking of goalkeeping. I've noticed quite often that goalkeepers diving to make saves are going the ball punch with their 'off' hand across their body rather than the hand on the side the ball is going to.

For example, a player shoots to towards the top left corner of the net and the keeper diving that way, instead of punching with his left hand clears the ball by twisting to his left during the dive and punching the ball with his right.

I'm guessing that keepers making those kind of punches, if they're able to are attempting to clear the ball further up the field with a strong punch rather than just tip the ball wide with the hand that's not able to get any real power behind it.

Does this make sense? I'll try and find a video of it.

Keepers are just like field players, they're dominant to one side.

A lot of keepers won't even use their off hand to make a save unless they absolutely have to.

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005

hughsieblingwish posted:

Does this make sense? I'll try and find a video of it.

It actually does. Reach with your right hand out in front of you to the right. Then reach with your left hand out to the right turning your left shoulder. You'll notice your left hand actually goes a little further. The keepers I coach I instruct to do this when at all possible. Same goes for punching a ball.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Im going to play tonight after a short break. I seem to have the inability to go forward and as a result tend to sit back threading passes through. I set up a good few goals over the last few times we've been to play so at least im doing something right.

When it comes to actually spending some time on the ball, finding the time and space to shoot and moving forward though... I'm shockingly bad, just wish I could improve that part of my game and then I think i'd be OK.

Edit: 5-a-side

Thirteenth Step fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jun 14, 2010

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

Since I started playing football again I just dropped any illusions of ever becoming a good attacker, and instead try to focus on improving my heading and my physical game. I should be a lot better considering how tall I am.

s0meb0dy0
Feb 27, 2004

The death of a child is always a tragedy, but let's put this in perspective, shall we? I mean they WERE palestinian.

Messyass posted:

Since I started playing football again I just dropped any illusions of ever becoming a good attacker, and instead try to focus on improving my heading and my physical game. I should be a lot better considering how tall I am.
Any good online resources for warmups, exercises, drills that I can do?

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Anyone have any recommendations for shin/ankle guards? I'm thinking of these, I like a lot of protection and I hate straps.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

:love: Colly

Lazlow posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for shin/ankle guards? I'm thinking of these, I like a lot of protection and I hate straps.

I use the entry level Adidas predator ones. I reckon they're pretty good; lightweight, good protectors on the shin and ankle and fit pretty snugly, the only time they've been shifting around is when I take a hit. They were about $15-20au, so probs $10-15us which is'nt going to break the bank.

Best thing to do is just go to the store and try a heap of them on and have a bit of a run up and down and a couple of quick lateral movements to make sure that they're going to stay on and feel alright, most places should let you do that. That way you're buying a pair you know are good for you rather than ones which are good for me.

edit: they're $17us plus shipping, the other ones on that page look like serious business.

hughsieblingwish fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 16, 2010

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Lazlow posted:

I hate sleeves, they tend to contribute to calf cramps so I use straps but I generally find a pair I like and then buy the smallest size available.

I'm pretty sure the shin guards I wear now are X-small and designed for someone about 4'8".

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
So for some reason we had an extra large group yesterday and broke into a second game, picking up a few randoms to make up the difference. Two of the people that joined were these two girls, and holy poo poo, this one girl was good.

Right off the bat, she streaked down the wing, hooked it in perfectly to her friend who headed back to the other girl and she rocketed a volley just wide. She pretty much spent the entire game either just dropping perfect crosses or just making whatever defender got stuck on her side like stupid. This girl was either a college frosh or soph, could not have been more than 110 pounds soaking wet, and was schooling dudes who were all about 21-35, many who are experienced and played college ball. I've never seen anything like it in a co-ed.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

I have a pair similar to the predators (adiPure chrome, I think) but besides the uncomfortable straps they just don't fit well. Right now I'm using some older Nike ones similar to the Total 90's but they're falling apart, the discs/padding inside the ankle pieces shift around all the time, the stitching's coming out, and the sleeves are stretched and ripped.

Never had a muscle cramp of any kind in my life (knock on wood) and I even wear neoprene compression sleeves for shin splints sometimes, so I prefer the sleeves. And I know that a lot of guys (mainly strikers, in my experience) like to wear as little gear as possible but it's never bothered me. Plus it seems like whenever I decide to go without the ankle guards that's the one time I get stepped on there.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Turn up in the pouring rain for our 7 a side game, the other team all has matching kits and there are about 12 of them, we have 5 people.

Game starts with us two people down, they score 1, we get a 6th person. Then we someone, magically, manage to score two goals on our only two attacks, then its half-time.

After halftime, our captain gets injured straight off so we are back down to 5 people, and we are all EXHAUSTED while they just keep subbing people on and off. Then we score again, somehow, to make it 3-1 then we hit the post and then someone misses an open goal.

They score two in 5 minutes, we hold on for 10 more minutes desperately until they score 10 seconds before the final whistle to make it 4-3, after I swing at a cross to clear it and completely miss, letting their striker through. gently caress

Amazing game though, if we'd had our usual goalkeeper we'd probably have won. I love football.

edit: they were total dicks as well

Alctel fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 17, 2010

outcast_p
Oct 1, 2004

My constantly losing team had a great game last night against a team that has killed us over every season for the past year and a half. The game ended 6-4, with us losing as normal. But the great thing is that the team captain came up to us at the end of the game and asked if we have been practicing cause we are a lot better. I take that as a complement from a team that is really good. Some of the people that have just started playing soccer for the first time over the past few months are starting to score goals, and people are starting to see that moving into space and passing are key in a game.

Now the lovely part is, the place that we play indoor does not have a session until the fall. We have 2 months off, so this is going to hurt us on... and the only outdoor league runs all summer long and we did not get into it in time.

But there is a soccer in the sand beach tourney coming up, this should be fun. Never played that before.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

I don't care for beach soccer. The ball moves weird, and because my foot is all bent out of shape from years of soccer and lacrosse cleats, I have a nice bunion that hurts without a boot on.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

I have incredibly thick big toenails that are impossible to cut right back to the skin and grow back within an hour, so I can see myself amputating someone's leg in beach football (or at least could until somebody caught me with his studs in a late challenge and one of them came off).

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

In an incredible stroke of luck, my team's win on Sunday was recorded as a loss, knocking us down one seed in the playoffs. Why is this lucky? Our first playoff game will now be at 11:30AM, so we can still watch every World Cup match live!

ilovemyducks
Nov 1, 2006
HI MOM!
I haven't really kept up with new cleats since I stopped playing in high school. I went to the soccer store the other day and saw that Nike has $400 cleats now? Jesus Christ. I use to buy a pair of Predators every season, and that was pretty pricey. I've never really cared for Nike cleats, but I'm really interested in whether there is a noticeable difference between those and the regular Vapors.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I don't care for beach soccer. The ball moves weird, and because my foot is all bent out of shape from years of soccer and lacrosse cleats, I have a nice bunion that hurts without a boot on.

Adding to this, my toe makes wearing cleats uncomfortable. Back when I started playing in Feb, I first started getting blisters. One receded on it's own kind of, hardened and eventually the spot calloused. Then yesterday, it started hurting. I came off the field at the end of the game and it practically tore off like paper. There's a chunk missing from my foot now :v:

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I used to play a lot of hockey, in the goalie position.

Haven't played in a few years, and I moved to Phoenix, and my gear is gone, and I really don't have the budget to replace a full hockey goalie kit.

I broke my ankle a few weeks ago skateboarding and have been laid up with not much to do, so I've been watching the WC, and gotten really into it.

I'm thinking once my ankle heals up I'm gonna go to some of the indoor soccer places around here and ask about joining a team. I'll probably be looking to play keeper. Can anyone direct me to some good websites for training tips, play tips, etc?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

THE MACHO MAN posted:

So for some reason we had an extra large group yesterday and broke into a second game, picking up a few randoms to make up the difference. Two of the people that joined were these two girls, and holy poo poo, this one girl was good.

Right off the bat, she streaked down the wing, hooked it in perfectly to her friend who headed back to the other girl and she rocketed a volley just wide. She pretty much spent the entire game either just dropping perfect crosses or just making whatever defender got stuck on her side like stupid. This girl was either a college frosh or soph, could not have been more than 110 pounds soaking wet, and was schooling dudes who were all about 21-35, many who are experienced and played college ball. I've never seen anything like it in a co-ed.

Related to this...

I play pickup at the AFB nearby on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Generally, it's Air Force dudes on their lunch breaks. The skill level is pretty decent, actually, given the international qualities military bases can bring.

Anywho, during the summer, there's a lot of college kids who come in whose dads are military folk, and all of us younger folk often end up on the same team. For the better part of last month there was this girl who was exactly as you described, and she was playing the "big striker" portion of our pair up, since I, despite my 6'3" self am not very strong on the ball, but have a decent amount of flair.

It was just awesome to see this little person holding up and keeping the ball glued to her feet and feeding me crosses while 35 year old military dudes were trying to muscle her off.

Riven posted:

I used to play a lot of hockey, in the goalie position.

Haven't played in a few years, and I moved to Phoenix, and my gear is gone, and I really don't have the budget to replace a full hockey goalie kit.

I broke my ankle a few weeks ago skateboarding and have been laid up with not much to do, so I've been watching the WC, and gotten really into it.

I'm thinking once my ankle heals up I'm gonna go to some of the indoor soccer places around here and ask about joining a team. I'll probably be looking to play keeper. Can anyone direct me to some good websites for training tips, play tips, etc?

For what it's worth, my dad has been playing goal in hockey since he was a teenager, and he's involved in training and in camps around the area--he's got mega-chops. Anyhow, my sister and I got him into watching matches with us years ago, and just from osmosis, he's begun to love football, too.

Of course, he's super interested in goalkeeping, and he goes on all the time about how the principles are really close to the same; cutting down the angle, distribution, communication and the likes. I bet you're already better than 90% of 5-a-side indoor keeps simply because of your hockey experience.

5-a-side Indoor is really close to hockey, tactically. ...In my opinion.

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 19, 2010

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
It's just that big net that concerns me. :)

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Riven posted:

It's just that big net that concerns me. :)

Oh in indoor the nets aren't outdoor size

This is extremely typical

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Riven posted:

CAMiasm posted some good tips on the last page here.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Thanks for the info and the link to that other post. I'll probably also want to play outside eventually, just not in July here.

So, anyone here in the Phoenix area?

CAMiasm
Oct 5, 2006

Go MC Saints!
summer training camp starts tomorrow, woop woop!

i cut my hair too short in anticipation

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Bought some new Diadora shin guards the other day and they were okay but loving hell they reeked like death after I used them the first time. I was a bit sweaty yeah but I didn't know the combination of sweat and any fabric/material could create such a terrible smell. drat, think I need to clean them now.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Played up front for the first time in a 4-1 loss yesterday. Typically, the first time I decide to stop using something too complicated and just play a basic 4-4-2, the other team plays 4-3-3 and dominates the centre midfield. I managed two breakaways but in one I dragged the shot and in the other I put a low cross in that my strike partner completely missed. I also discovered that even if you have at least a yard of pace over the centre back who is twice your weight, if the grass is too long the ball won't travel and he'll still catch you up and put a crunching slide tackle in that sends you flying. :(

At least afterwards the other striker (who did score, his first goal in 7 games) said I was the best second striker he's played with so far so I think we'll be sticking with it.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I think I need to get some new boots, but living in Canada they are horrendously expensive so I will get them online I think, maybe after trying on some pairs at a sports store.

Does anyone have any good suggestions? I would prefer non-coloured ones as I don't want to be 'that guy'

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Alctel posted:

I think I need to get some new boots, but living in Canada they are horrendously expensive so I will get them online I think, maybe after trying on some pairs at a sports store.

Does anyone have any good suggestions? I would prefer non-coloured ones as I don't want to be 'that guy'

Try boots on, buy the ones that are the most comfortable. That's pretty much it.

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

Pick out cheap boots that don't look retarded. Try if they fit. Buy.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Riven posted:

Oh hay cross-sport goalie buddy.

You'll notice that a lot of the basic strategy is the same: getting your angles, coming out on breakaways, etc. Keep your head up, be aware of not only the ball carrier but also his teammate who's trying to streak into the box. And bear in mind that guys can change directions a lot more easily on foot than on skates.

Angles are important, but stay mobile. The difference between hockey goaltending and soccer goaltending is footwork. Keep your shoulders square to the ball.

Ignore your instinct to butterfly. I know that sounds obvious but I've butterflied at least once. I was semi-screened by a big attacker, and I dropped to my knees when I heard the shot. I looked ridiculous. I even had my right hand facing toward the net, as if i was holding a stick. Fortunately the shooter shanked it, but still.

Get used to using your hands. You can't rely on your pads to stop shots.

The more you play, the better you'll get. So just get out there! Get in on some pickup games. Pickup players LOVE to have keepers around.

Chivas Aribas!
May 21, 2007

Alctel posted:

Be that guy. Start it right now.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Also don't neglect distribution. You need to be able to clear the halfway line with your goal kicks - it's probably preferable to play it short to a fullback but if you don't have the threat of a long kick the opposition will push up and the short pass won't be an option. And a good accurate throw is a massive asset if you manage to catch a corner and open up an instant counter.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Scikar posted:

Also don't neglect distribution. You need to be able to clear the halfway line with your goal kicks - it's probably preferable to play it short to a fullback but if you don't have the threat of a long kick the opposition will push up and the short pass won't be an option. And a good accurate throw is a massive asset if you manage to catch a corner and open up an instant counter.

This, so much. Good distribution gives your team a weapon most teams don't have.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

holy poo poo my new boots make the world of difference (Adicore III)

maybe because they actually fit and don't have a hole in the left toe but still

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Scikar posted:

Thirded. No greater feeling than stopping a shot, seeing my forward streak the other way, and throwing a through ball straight to him. (related note: no worse feeling than pegging one off his back).

slow hands
Feb 5, 2005
we slow hands

Alctel posted:

holy poo poo my new boots make the world of difference (Adicore III)

maybe because they actually fit and don't have a hole in the left toe but still

Alctel my earthquake buddy, where did you buy those from? The internet?

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Na, Elgin Sports on Bank/Albert.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Had to play at right back (instead of my preferred striker role) tonight with some randoms since almost all of the guys in my group didn't show up. They said they would come though, but I suspect the world cup could be blamed perhaps. Anyway, I scored three goals from outside the box with my loving left foot. I'm right footed so I consider those goals some of my finest moments in my history of playing football.

I'm not fast at all, but I run a lot up and down the wing all the time so I joined in on every attack and just lurked around outside the box and smashed in some goals Frank Lampard style. They tried to cover me up after the first one but I just pushed them away and smashed in two more later.

I was terrible at defending since they had a fast little fucker on the left wing who beat me every time, but I don't care I scored three great goals and won the match 6-5. Feels good man :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unicron
Oct 6, 2004

Eatin' planets, fightin', and drinkin' 'round the world!

euroboy posted:

Had to play at right back (instead of my preferred striker role) tonight with some randoms since almost all of the guys in my group didn't show up. They said they would come though, but I suspect the world cup could be blamed perhaps. Anyway, I scored three goals from outside the box with my loving left foot. I'm right footed so I consider those goals some of my finest moments in my history of playing football.

I'm not fast at all, but I run a lot up and down the wing all the time so I joined in on every attack and just lurked around outside the box and smashed in some goals Frank Lampard style. They tried to cover me up after the first one but I just pushed them away and smashed in two more later.

I was terrible at defending since they had a fast little fucker on the left wing who beat me every time, but I don't care I scored three great goals and won the match 6-5. Feels good man :smug:

sounds like you are the next Philip Lahm :)