Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beef Log Boy
Jul 6, 2004

Cut the Cheeeeese Log and I'm a happy fellow!
I feel so awkward when my camera's pointed the other direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuisX
Aug 4, 2004
Sword Chuck, yo!
I feel awesome when the camera is pointed in my direction.

Spectracide
May 27, 2004
IT'S ARGH, BABY!
edit: removed

Spectracide fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 3, 2011

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
I bought some new threads, also, I've been working out. Can you tell?

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Never ceases to amaze me, the things we show internet strangers.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

Yes, I know. My chin is cleft as gently caress.

atmz
Jan 5, 2005

lurk lurk lurk
Was messing around with my projector and some old Kodachromes today..

Composite of two wildly different exposures to get the slide without having a very, very black background; maybe a bit over the top but I like how it ended up.

Edit: Is there any way to get non-massive images off Flickr? There doesn't seem to be a way to specify size in BBcode and Flickr seems to just be linking to the big version.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Shannow posted:

I bought some new threads, also, I've been working out. Can you tell?

Come to Iceland. Please?

you are hot

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

poopinmymouth posted:

Come to Iceland. Please?

you are hot

Why can't you bee a girl? :(

I do plan an iceland trip one day, I've flown over it twice.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

This is me, hunting chickadees

manpants
Mar 12, 2009

InternetJunky posted:

This is me, hunting chickadees

That must be one drat powerful flash.

Edit: Um... My keyboard is broken, that's definitely the reason that I made a spelling error.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

manpants posted:

That must be one drat powerful flash.

Edit: Um... My keyboard is broken, that's definitely the reason that I made a spelling error.

haha! Side note, It makes me really unfomfortable to hold the tripod like that while my camera is on it, I always think, 'what if the tripod breaks'

I dunno I guess im paranoid.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

It's not like the flash is lighting something 1km away.

quote:

Side note, It makes me really unfomfortable to hold the tripod like that while my camera is on it, I always think, 'what if the tripod breaks'
It's a nightmare of mine as well, but that's what insurance is for.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
...my god, my nostrils are large...

flickr

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

InternetJunky posted:

It's not like the flash is lighting something 1km away.

It's a nightmare of mine as well, but that's what insurance is for.

True. Insurance claims are a pain in the rear end though. Speaking of that, who do you use for insurance. I need to switch up mine, I feel as if I am getting raped.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Shooting a friend's band at a local pub a few weeks back.

Waiting to be shot at paintball.

Playing drum-tar.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Bojanglesworth posted:

True. Insurance claims are a pain in the rear end though. Speaking of that, who do you use for insurance. I need to switch up mine, I feel as if I am getting raped.

If your claims are a pain in the rear end you're not at the right company. Also, if you pay dirt cheap for insurance then don't expect great things from their claims department.

Last claim I had I just emailed my agent and he took care of almost everything for me.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

benisntfunny posted:

If your claims are a pain in the rear end you're not at the right company. Also, if you pay dirt cheap for insurance then don't expect great things from their claims department.

Last claim I had I just emailed my agent and he took care of almost everything for me.
Since I'm not a pro, my home insurance covers my gear automatically ($500 deductible). I phoned them up to make sure since I had just bought a kayak with plans to take my 600mm out for shooting, and the first thing I was told (without recounting my lens + water plan) was "yup, you're covered, even if your camera takes a swim".

If you shoot professionally in any capacity though sounds like you need separate business insurance. At least here in Alberta.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

InternetJunky posted:

Since I'm not a pro, my home insurance covers my gear automatically ($500 deductible). I phoned them up to make sure since I had just bought a kayak with plans to take my 600mm out for shooting, and the first thing I was told (without recounting my lens + water plan) was "yup, you're covered, even if your camera takes a swim".

If you shoot professionally in any capacity though sounds like you need separate business insurance. At least here in Alberta.

Yes, if you're shooting for money damages related to the business are not covered by your renters/homeowners/SPP. To be honest most people would just lie even if they were shooting for money and something happened. However the business insurance also covers you for lawsuits from when you accidentally tripped over an extension cord and fell face first into the wedding cake during which time some kind was climbing up your light stand and it fell on his face leaving him with third degree burns and eternal virginity.

You also have to be really careful about how much of your equipment is actually covered by homeowners or renters alone. Generally you'll need to pay additional amounts if you own unusual amounts of pricey gadgets, such as camera equipment. The separate insurance is known as Scheduled Personal Property (SPP). It's pretty easy to figure out if you need it, just ask your company "Hey if my $X in gear was stolen would you guys cover the full amount?" If the answer is yes you're in the clear.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Decided to try out a new lighting style tonight. I really need to play around with my lights more often.

grayscale
Feb 27, 2009

LuisX posted:

I feel awesome when the camera is pointed in my direction.

It's funny, this is exactly what I would expect your self-portrait to look like. :iia:

Side note - I've always wondered why girls do that with their lips all the time for pictures (see girl on left). It annoys the poo poo out of me for some reason.

Fuzzy Cosmonaut
Jun 22, 2010

Civilekonom
Yesterday, biting my nails, working on my drunk, instead of working on what i should be doing, ie some kind of pushups or my posture.

Nic Cage dick cage
Jun 23, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Glass Knuckles posted:

Side note - I've always wondered why girls do that with their lips all the time for pictures (see girl on left). It annoys the poo poo out of me for some reason.

I'm told it's a 'kissy face'. I loathe it. I think with the squashed lips and bulging eyes it's supposed to appear glamorous or something. But to me it looks like they're receiving an unexpected enema from an enraged gorilla. All women who have such a photo and want me to add them as a friend on Facebook are refused. Although that's my own fault for having Facebook.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

The I believe the term is "duckface". It's bad even when done in ironic fashion, of which I am guilty...

LuisX
Aug 4, 2004
Sword Chuck, yo!

l33tc4k30fd00m posted:

The I believe the term is "duckface". It's bad even when done in ironic fashion, of which I am guilty...

Yes.

It's funny, this past couple of weeks has been of photogs on my facebook loathing this too (ie, non-goons also hate it):

FetusOvaries
Jun 16, 2010

I'll kiss you in the rain

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
never listen to naysayers

flickr

Jaz
Dec 24, 2005

Part of the internet...

Thought since I've invaded #c I owe something. Me peering into the depths of my mate's 50mm/f1.1. Focus is a bit mushy because the photo was taken with one of my old FD primes on his EPL-1 (no EVF).

Arinel
Aug 16, 2006
How does the water of the brain yield the wine of conscious experience? - Some one quoted it once.

LuisX posted:

Yes.

It's funny, this past couple of weeks has been of photogs on my facebook loathing this too (ie, non-goons also hate it):

G.U.I.L.T.Y. Duckface =

It was meant to be funny, but to be fair, this was my first (real) set up for self portraits (I had used a laptop and a wireless mouse as a remote trigger). It ended up being the most awkward set up (not to mention my brothers bogan friends showed up part way through). And I screwed the lighting up.

This was the only photo that was any good that I managed to take before the laptop batteries ran out (I forgot to charge them, and was too tired to fix it in the end).

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
I used to work with a model that would do nothing but her "Blue Steel" fishy lip facial expression. Even when I coached her on it, she would still default right back to :3.

After that I told her to just stop smiling, stop doing anything, just let your face go slack. 100% improvement.

Arinel
Aug 16, 2006
How does the water of the brain yield the wine of conscious experience? - Some one quoted it once.

squidflakes posted:

I used to work with a model that would do nothing but her "Blue Steel" fishy lip facial expression. Even when I coached her on it, she would still default right back to :3.

After that I told her to just stop smiling, stop doing anything, just let your face go slack. 100% improvement.

Haha, I think I've managed to avoid that by not having studied photography. Everyone feels it's a bit casual. Also I haven't shot anyone with 'model' pretensions.

But I have two people (one of my lady friends and my brother) who just are so natural (and also they look good) in front of the camera. I'm pretty spoilt. :)
For everyone else I just take a lot of photos, first so they get comfortable, and secondly to get them in a moment when they're natural.

LuisX
Aug 4, 2004
Sword Chuck, yo!

Arinel posted:

For everyone else I just take a lot of photos, first so they get comfortable, and secondly to get them in a moment when they're natural.

Yeah, I usually have my clients go through the entire wardrobe quickly. This seems to soften them up and its a way to quickly see what will look good in the camera.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I'm the only one who does more than point and shoot in my group of friends, so almost every picture of me is a cameraphone shot. I make up for it by trying to be an interesting subject.

for scale, I'm 6'8"

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jul 6, 2010

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

GWBBQ posted:

I'm the only one who does more than point and shoot in my group of friends, so almost every picture of me is a cameraphone shot. I make up for it by trying to be an interesting subject.

for scale, I'm 6'8"

We kill fire breathing giants where I come from.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Odd. I used to take nothing but self-portraits and now I only take them when I need new acting headshots. Growing as a photographer or deep-rooted fear of Dorkroom criticism? :iiam:

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Picture of me taken by my friend with my setup:

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

I always feel crosseyed without my glasses.

VV Looks like I was staring right into the flash which was below the lens. The flash is right in the center of my pupil

guidoanselmi fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 9, 2010

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

guidoanselmi posted:

I always feel crosseyed without my glasses.

Then don't stare at the tip of the lens, stare past the camera where the photographer's eye would be behind the viewfinder.

Firmy Shoyombo
Apr 3, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
pretty pleased with this pic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006