Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

builds character posted:

Stop being poor and go buy your booze at a bar the way the rest of us do (only $12 for a gin and tonic).

A certain measure of privacy is required in order to absorb the alcohol through an anal tampon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Cormack posted:

Top score on the final got a $5k prize.
WHAT

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

They're just a bunch of shapes. Don't read too deeply into it.
A big factor that keeps me from going for the psych PhD/PsyD of my dreams is the fact that I currently make as much money as a paralegal as some clinical PhDs do. In my Ask/Tell thread about psych degrees, someone said that his wife makes $55-60 a year... that's seriously how much I make right now.

It's not that I'm money-hungry, and it's not that I don't think I wouldn't find working as a psychologist to be rewarding... but it seems kind of counterintuitive to put myself through a ton of stress of 5-6 years of earning a PhD to end up right where I already am right now. At my current job, I do about 2-3 hours of work and spend the rest of the day on SA.

Then again, I got some chart about what 2009 Fordham graduates are doing now. Apparently if you work in a judicial clerkship, government, public interest, or academia, your average salary ranges from 30k-57k... which rangers from much lower than what I make as a paralegal to around what I make now anyway. Only graduates who work in private practice or business/industry make an average of $120k-145k.

I don't know. I'm still really confused about what I want out of my future, but I feel like I'm 25 and I'm pretty much going to be dead soon. I don't want to waste my time and not have the money/resources to be able to support my future family, and I don't want to be the type that ends up marrying for money just to survive.

I'm not trolling at all with my loving stupid posts here, I'm just genuinely conflicted and just want to get things moving.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

amishsexpot posted:

A big factor that keeps me from going for the psych PhD/PsyD of my dreams is the fact that I currently make as much money as a paralegal as some clinical PhDs do. In my Ask/Tell thread about psych degrees, someone said that his wife makes $55-60 a year... that's seriously how much I make right now.

It's not that I'm money-hungry, and it's not that I don't think I wouldn't find working as a psychologist to be rewarding... but it seems kind of counterintuitive to put myself through a ton of stress of 5-6 years of earning a PhD to end up right where I already am right now. At my current job, I do about 2-3 hours of work and spend the rest of the day on SA.

You'd make more money but your life would be a whole lot more stressful. Keep in mind this is the BEST CASE SCENARIO.

A more realistic case is you go to law school, place in the middle of your class and work like a dog for $60K a year, assuming you get a job.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

amishsexpot posted:

Heh, that's me (err, my fiancee). Note that she chose a non tenure track administrative-ey position for quality of life reasons. She had at least one six figure offer in a slightly different area (like HR consulting), and she also had a couple tenure track professor offers (NU and one other), but she really does not want to do the research/publish grind. Those positions would be pushing six figures, I would think.

You can do the math behind what you could/would make as a private clinician. Maybe average six or seven 45-50 minute sessions a day, 5 days a week, 48 weeks a year. If you wanted to work with rich people, maybe you could clear $120 or so a session. There is some potential there.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

amishsexpot posted:

I don't know. I'm still really confused about what I want out of my future, but I feel like I'm 25 and I'm pretty much going to be dead soon. I don't want to waste my time and not have the money/resources to be able to support my future family, and I don't want to be the type that ends up marrying for money just to survive.
If you do not have a passion to become a lawyer, then do not go to law school. If your posts are any indication, you do not have a passion to become a lawyer. You're just confused as to how you want your life to pan out. Do not go to law school.

Also, if you're struggling on $55-60k/year - which is what is suggested by this notion that your current pay rate would somehow force you to "marry for money" - and I'm assuming you don't have any dependents draining your funds, you should probably invest in a money management class intead of any sort of higher education. It would probably help you a lot more in the long run. e: I understand that you're in NY and the COL is pretty high, but feeling as if you need to marry for money while bringing in $60k at the age of 25 means you're doing something wrong.

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

Green Crayons posted:

Also, if you're struggling on $55-60k/year - which is what is suggested by this notion that your current pay rate would somehow force you to "marry for money" - and I'm assuming you don't have any dependents draining your funds, you should probably invest in a money management class intead of any sort of higher education. It would probably help you a lot more in the long run. e: I understand that you're in NY and the COL is pretty high, but feeling as if you need to marry for money while bringing in $60k at the age of 25 means you're doing something wrong.

No no, that's not what I meant, sorry. I'm not struggling on $55-60k a year. I've saved up a lot over the past 3 years of working full-time for sure. I currently have zero student debt from undergrad and no other debts at all. I live a comfortable life currently.

The "marrying for money" fear is based on the several women I know that have tons of debt, either from spending too much or student loans, and marry people who help them pay it off while they have kids stay home. I do want a family at some point, but I don't want to end up going to get a higher education, getting stuck in debt, choosing to have kids while I have thousands of dollars of debt, and either busting my rear end part time while I raise kids or depending on my future husband to support us. I used to work with a woman who practiced law for 2 years, had a kid with her lawyer husband, and I've heard the husband pays all her expenses. I don't want to be like that, if I can help it.

I must have phrased something wrong. I do agree I should manage my savings right now instead of draining it all on a degree. My parents are crazy Asians who are SO pushing the law degree, and all the lawyers at my firm are saying "DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL," but neither side will really elaborate or give me much information, so again, I'm confused, uncertain, and frightened.

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

amishsexpot posted:

but neither side will really elaborate or give me much information

Have you read the op?

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

Chakron posted:

Have you read the op?

I did, but it's been a while. I'll read it again.

I think I'm going to crack open the GRE book again and take it this summer, and at the very least get some application materials together to apply for a doctorate in psychology. I guess no matter what I do, it's going to take at least several years of study (even though psych is 2x as long). I've broken the news to my dad already that I'm having serious doubts about law school, and he actually hasn't killed himself yet. So here we go again.

Sometimes I wonder if I just made a decision and stuck with it instead of endlessly waffling around, I'd be happier. I'm so loving indecisive that I wonder if I'll ever be happy with any decision I ever make.

gently caress everything!

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

amishsexpot posted:

Words

True Story, I make what you make now but have 150k in debt and am facing a pay cut to practice law. Wanna trade?

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

Roger_Mudd posted:

True Story, I make what you make now but have 150k in debt and am facing a pay cut to practice law. Wanna trade?

What kind of law are you planning on practicing, and what is your current job? Paralegal? What school did you go to?

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

amishsexpot posted:

What kind of law are you planning on practicing, and what is your current job? Paralegal? What school did you go to?

I work for a large group of physicians (non-legal).
I plan on practicing the paying kind of law (family law, mass tort).
SMU.

Edit: I'm just saying unless you get in to a T14, have a full ride, or are in the top 10% of your class, it's probably a bad/horrible decision.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

amishsexpot posted:

I've heard the husband pays all her expenses. I don't want to be like that, if I can help it.

CaptainScraps posted:

A more realistic case is you go to law school, place in the middle of your class and work like a dog for $60K a year, assuming you get a job.
Unless if you really want to be a lawyer for the sake of being a lawyer (because, outside of loving the work, there really aren't any positives to becoming a lawyer from your current position), then don't go to law school. Certainly don't go to law school to become more financially secure. Because of all of the things law school/being a lawyer will do to you, it will not do that.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

amishsexpot posted:

$55-60k a year

You might not make more after three years at Fordham than you would after three more years at your current job.

Incidentally, you make more than double what I do!

EDIT: I made my post more truthful but also more redundant.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 25, 2010

Business
Feb 6, 2007

Whatever you do, don't base your decision on some random group of smelly goons...check out xoxohth.com to get a more well rounded and real-world perspective on the legal profession.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

amishsexpot posted:

I've broken the news to my dad already that I'm having serious doubts about law school, and he actually hasn't killed himself yet. So here we go again.

If your dad wants a lawyer in the family, let him go to law school. Choosing a career based on what your parents want is loving stupid. Additionally, as other people have said, if you don't already have a job lined up before you start or finish in the top 10% of your class, your career options are nearly hopeless.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

amishsexpot posted:

My parents are crazy Asians who are SO pushing the law degree, and all the lawyers at my firm are saying "DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL," but neither side will really elaborate or give me much information, so again, I'm confused, uncertain, and frightened.

As a product of crazy Asian parents myself, I'll just tell you right now that they're almost certainly misinformed about the state of the industry, what it takes to succeed "Asian style" in law school, and the prospects of post-graduation employment if you don't succeed. They're almost always taking the mentality of most Asian parents that you can theoretically get a 2.8 GPA at high-ranked school and be alright (but you probably won't) because that's how it works in China, Japan, or Korea. They probably mean well, but their from economies and societies that work much differently from what we have in the United States.

Likewise, most of the lawyer you work with will only open up to you to a limited degree because they're lawyers and they work with you. Unless you get them drunk, they're not going to unleash a full cavalcade of honesty because you might inadvertantly leak it and it could get back to the very people responsible for either their promotion prospects or their continued employment.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
thread needs more dargonchat: I listened to weddingstory.mp3 in its entirety on my ipod today at work and I'm feeling better about my life than I have in months.

on the downside, partners keep walking past my office and I think they think I'm insane, but they weren't going to hire me anyway so whatever

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 25, 2010

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

How long is that mp3? I kind of want to listen to it but not if it's like an hour long or something. I'm a busy guy!

I guess I could just download it and run it in a player and see for myself but I have no time, that's just how busy I am

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Ainsley McTree posted:

How long is that mp3? I kind of want to listen to it but not if it's like an hour long or something. I'm a busy guy!

I guess I could just download it and run it in a player and see for myself but I have no time, that's just how busy I am

I think like 40 mins.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

I think like 40 mins.

I'll see if I can wedge that into my schedule. I'll pencil it in between "crying" and "drinking"

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Business posted:

Whatever you do, don't base your decision on some random group of smelly goons...check out xoxohth.com to get a more well rounded and real-world perspective on the legal profession.

http://xoxohth.com/thread.php?thread_id=1348412&mc=109&forum_id=2
http://xoxohth.com/thread.php?thread_id=1348774&mc=78&forum_id=2
http://xoxohth.com/thread.php?thread_id=1348723&mc=22&forum_id=2

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

amishsexpot posted:

No no, that's not what I meant, sorry. I'm not struggling on $55-60k a year. I've saved up a lot over the past 3 years of working full-time for sure. I currently have zero student debt from undergrad and no other debts at all. I live a comfortable life currently.

The "marrying for money" fear is based on the several women I know that have tons of debt, either from spending too much or student loans, and marry people who help them pay it off while they have kids stay home. I do want a family at some point, but I don't want to end up going to get a higher education, getting stuck in debt, choosing to have kids while I have thousands of dollars of debt, and either busting my rear end part time while I raise kids or depending on my future husband to support us. I used to work with a woman who practiced law for 2 years, had a kid with her lawyer husband, and I've heard the husband pays all her expenses. I don't want to be like that, if I can help it.

I must have phrased something wrong. I do agree I should manage my savings right now instead of draining it all on a degree. My parents are crazy Asians who are SO pushing the law degree, and all the lawyers at my firm are saying "DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL," but neither side will really elaborate or give me much information, so again, I'm confused, uncertain, and frightened.
I'm a Russian Jew and my wife is Korean. I know all about crazy parents. Don't go to law school. For that matter, don't get a PhD, either (my wife dropped out).

Seriously, we live in NY so if you want to do lunch or something all three of us can probably do that and we can tell you all about how bad an idea this is.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
doomsayers take note: things are looking up, there are opportunities out there in international law after all (but only if you're at a prestigious school, sorry fordhamites)

Narfbombs
May 1, 2009
just an fyi to those who just took the lsats, scores are now posted up on the lsac website

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.

nm posted:

I've been busy.
I'll get back to you soonish.

Coolios.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I hope you all did horribly and decide not to go

Hired Gun
Nov 25, 2006

by Ozma

Narfbombs posted:

just an fyi to those who just took the lsats, scores are now posted up on the lsac website
Mine's not up yet but the email date did change to today. Now I'm nervous and don't really want to look.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

amishsexpot posted:

neither side will really elaborate or give me much information, so again, I'm confused, uncertain, and frightened.
That should be reason enough to not go. Why do you want to go, other than that your parents want you to go? Are they paying for you?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

amishsexpot posted:

his wife makes $55-60 a year... that's seriously how much I make right now.

I do about 2-3 hours of work and spend the rest of the day on SA.

still really confused about what I want out of my future, but I feel like I'm 25 and I'm pretty much going to be dead soon.

You know that the median lawyer salary is $55k right?

I get where you are coming from. A coworker just left because she felt that her job was not intellectually stimulating and she'd never make six figures doing it.

But here's the thing -

you're making more money than some clinical PhDs, more money than the median lawyer, and you do so with 5 hours of free time a day to spare researching things to do that will a) make you a lot of money and b) be fulfilling. You could be picking up grad degrees, volunteering, working on side projects, etc.

I would love to be in your shoes, with a few hours a day to do research on the side / think about grad programs / etc. I 100% understand your motivations (making more money + plus be stimulated), but you need to realize that you are not likely to make more money being a lawyer than you do now and you will be overstimulated/overworked/etc if you do have a job.

It's not worth it - take it from someone who thought and breathed and planned law school for over a year, took the LSATs, applied, got in, and decided not to go.

Hired Gun
Nov 25, 2006

by Ozma
Welp. 167 on the LSAT. With my GPA (3.4) I doubt I'd get into a T14. Was hoping to pull out a 170+ but oh well. Now to figure out what to do that isn't law school.

John Zaibatsu
Jul 17, 2005

this sentence no verb

Hired Gun posted:

Welp. 167 on the LSAT. With my GPA (3.4) I doubt I'd get into a T14. Was hoping to pull out a 170+ but oh well. Now to figure out what to do that isn't law school.

:hfive: low high end buddy. Got a 170, after a 175 on a prep test. With a 3.7 from UChicago, how do the numbers shape up from here?

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

7StoryFall posted:

I do not think this analogy is appropriate.

People are commonly told that higher education and law school are good investments. There is no social norm or reasonable (and common) behavior about investigating claims printed in USNews. While first statement is a direct comparison with the housing market, the second--and crucial to your analogy--is not.
I think it is analogous. People also think housing is a good investment. (Or was.) They still didn't take a seller's word that the house has 4 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms. Most people still looked around inside and counted the toilets.

And I'm not talking about claims printed in USNews. I'm talking about claims printed on law school websites and publicity materials. I don't see how that stuff is any different from a Century 21 brochure about hardwood floors.

TheMadMilkman posted:

You're getting (more) bitter. Is the IRS finally getting to you?
No way, I love my job. I am possibly happier now than I have ever been before. I went, I got a job, I'm not dying alone so far. It may possibly be paradise as far as I'm concerned. (I'm aware some of my coworkers would disagree.) I basically have a no-stress existence. When I went on vacation a couple of months ago I didn't consider it a much-needed break from work, I considered it a change of scenery. Like hopping from one of the Caribbean Islands to another.

The downside of the no-stress lifestyle is that it leaves me plenty of time to ponder. If I'm getting more bitter in the thread, it's because after years of posting in here and realizing it's mostly for naught, I've moved past trying to counsel individual 0Ls and on to trying to understand the broader reasons why people in the positions of 0Ls are so consistently willing to make foolish choices. I no longer come here to save, I just come here to try and understand.

Also: peoples' personalities in this thread are very rarely their personalities in real life.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

10-8 posted:

No way, I love my job.

I seriously envy your job. After my next round of training in July-August I'm beginning Operation Transfer Into Counsel.

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

This might be a little too E/N for some of your tastes, but I have to share the insanity I have to deal with --

My mom called to ask me how the Fordham Student's day went yesterday, and I told her it was somewhat interesting but I just couldn't get "excited" about learning law because I just am not interested in it and never really have been.

She of course cried and made vague suicide threats and said, "I can't believe you are still having these doubts after all this time."

I got pretty worked up during the call and told her that I felt like she and my dad were controlling my life through guilt and manipulation and that they have consistently stood in the way of letting me explore psychology as a career. She said, "Law school is the only right thing to do, and you are too old to do anything else. You have to do this for your future and no one actually likes their job. You'll probably end up hating psychology if you do it. Also I guess you think we are horrible parents and never did anything good for you, and you're probably right. We're terrible parents and I am not controlling, but this is one thing you have to do. If you feel like you've been controlled for 25 years, you should be controlled for 3 more years and just go to law school. After you're done you can do whatever you want, but you need to do this."

She then went on saying that anyone can be a psychologist (this is based on her experiences working with social workers at her work -- which of course is totally different) but not everyone was smart enough to be a lawyer. And that this is something I needed for my future to be happy.

I went on to tell her that most of the lawyers I know from work (I probably know at least 50) are unhappy, single or divorced, workaholics (not by choice), bitter, and drug addicts/drunks. My mom responded by telling me to quit my job immediately to get away from the "negative" environment. I asked her if she knew any lawyers at all, and she avoided answering the question.

Pretty much 99% of lawyers I know say that they went to law school because they couldn't think of anything else to do with their lives, and that it was the worst, worst, worst reason anyone could go to law school. Then they beg me to not go to law school.

I feel like I'm so hosed. If I stay a paralegal my entire life I'll be bored out of my loving mind and will feel like I never applied myself. If I go to law school, I'll be miserable, poor, lonely, overworked and unfulfilled. If I get a PhD, I may be poor, in school for the rest of my life, and still unhappy.

So what other options are there? Which is the least lovely option?

Adar - I'd love to meet up with you and your wife, as well as any other goons who will smack me with a wooden paddle and tell me what to do.

Business - thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

At this point I feel terrible for upsetting my mom to the point where we were both in tears. And I don't feel any more confident in my idea to pursue a PhD. I've come to this point with my parents several times over the past 7 years and it always ends with me trying to smooth the conflict over by lying and saying I'll go to law school and then delaying. At this point I'm going to be 35 and still deferring and complaining to goons that my life is horrible.

gently caress everything, seriously.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
So wait, are your parents paying for this?

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

amishsexpot posted:

So what other options are there? Which is the least lovely option?

Wait another year and take the LSAT again? Hopefully you will be accepted to a school with better job prospects.

If you just want money, it's a safer bet to stay in your current job and think about some other profession. But if you want to grow up and become upper class, then go to law school and join your present overlords in the land of "thinking like a lawyer". There are offices where lawyers skip around hand-in-hand singing songs together, but if that's what you want then you probably need to give up on that $100k+ pay cheque at Shithead & Shithead LLP.

10-8 posted:

When I went on vacation a couple of months ago I didn't consider it a much-needed break from work, I considered it a change of scenery. Like hopping from one of the Caribbean Islands to another.

Yes, but with a sense of bother. I refuse to go on vacations to random places because it just seems like a bothersome waste of time; life is already great, so if I'm going to fly somewhere then I'm going to go someplace where I want to see friends/family. There needs to be something there that makes the trip worthwhile; "relaxation" is already present at home.

Lykourgos fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 26, 2010

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

You seem that you generally like your current job (to the extent that one enjoys work) and you're making good money for a young single person. Take a year or two to decide what you really want to do and keep your eyes open for new opportunities. You've got money and plenty of time, and anyone who tells you you're getting too old is projecting their own insecurities and failures on you.

Ask yourself what's worse: a whole life of being miserable and saddled with debt, or having a fight with your parents about law school every few months for a few years before they realize it's just not gonna happen?

Also, lol at your mom telling you to quit your legal job to get away from the negative environment in favor of fully committing your entire life to the exact same environment. She just told you not to go to law school.

edit: Also why exactly do people need self-actualization from their job? This isn't really a question for you but in general. I think our society puts way too much value and identity into whatever one does for money. Jobs are to finance your life, they shouldn't be your life.

gently caress america

Mattavist fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 26, 2010

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Yeah, just PM me with some good days and we'll work it out. We can do that because I work from home (i.e. not law) and my wife is done with another semester of her education master's (i.e. not PhD). Lots of free time and all that.

Your mother is a classic example of why there are lots of unemployed and unemployable lawyers and why that will never change for generations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Oh yeah, if you want to defer this issue with your parents for another year you should rob a bank like that one guy so Fordham rescinds your admission. Just make sure to steal enough so it's a felony.