Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Noctone posted:

Yeah a possibly fake video of a phone that, if real, won't be available until sometime between forever and eternity. How exciting.

that's why it's so sick. Can't stop hurlin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Bluetooth keyboard and mouse support demonstrated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AZh1X2Vj_0

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
Are there any reputable Nokia repair depots in Canada (worst case scenario, US)?

When I got my N82 three years ago there weren't, but it wasn't a problem to order a part of cnn.cn when a component stopped working and I repaired it myself . They have n97 parts up there so I'm hoping, like any other Nokia flagship, they'll have parts for the n8 if need be.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
N8 Night photo samples:
http://www.blog-n8.fr/actualites/des-photos-prises-par-le-nokia-n8-de-nuit-01132/

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

That's not bad as long as there's manual control over ISO, aperture and shutter speed available. The software seems to favour keeping the shutter speed around 1/30 which is too slow for anything but posed shots, landscapes or still life.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Here's a poo poo load of S^3 screenshots:
http://www.mobile-review.com/review/symbian-3-en.shtml

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

New rumor says this is a qwerty N8
8MP dual LED on the back
http://www.negrielectronics.com/blog/news-updates/the-nokia-n9-n900s-big-brother-figuratively/

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Boy Genius report was saying it's the N9 but that doesn't make any sense because it is clearly running symbian.

Septimus
Aug 30, 2003
Wasabi? Why not!
Looks like it says "C8" on the lower left edge of the screen's frame

edit: actually looks more like "C0" or "CQ"

Septimus fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jun 26, 2010

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

:smith: So close.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Symbian-Guru is shutting down, goldmine of quotes now about how much Nokia sucks :laffo:

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

He let his parents use a Motorola Backflip. Would you do that to your parents?

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.

I guess I feel the same way, but I just don't seem to take it as personally or really care as a whole as much as the SG dudes. I guess I would feel differently if I ran a business based on it.

I still love my E71.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Dr Tran posted:

He let his parents use a Motorola Backflip. Would you do that to your parents?

What's the point of that non sequitur?

That's pretty amazing news, really. Basically the equivalent of TUAW shutting down, except it's even older iirc.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Noctone posted:

What's the point of that non sequitur?

He's clearly lost his mind.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I think Ricky and Rita nailed it in their post. Nokia will be the authors of their own doom.

One thing that really chafed me about Nokia that wasn't mentioned is that the company basically kept killing sales of their own devices by constantly announcing new devices almost as soon as a device was released, so there was little incentive to buy the just released one because a newer one with better features or that addressed gripes of the just released phone was due out in a few months.

Another thing is that once Nokia releases a phone, they basically cut it adrift as far as support goes. It's okay to buy an iPhone or Android phone right now because you know that when the next OS update comes with more good stuff, it'll be available for your device. If Nokia had made their phones so that they could be upgraded from S60 3rd edition to 5th edition or at least give 3rd edition some of the nice features of 5th like a customizable home screen or whatever, I think they would end up selling more phones because people wouldn't be as afraid to jump on one. It's stupid that Nokia is trying to sell us on the N8 when at the same time they're pumping up Meego. Why would I buy an N8 knowing it's a dead-end phone?

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

to illustrate the point-

Nokia Conversations doesn't work at all on most N86 models. There have been hundreds of posts on every official nokia support forum reporting the problem over the past year. 4 firmware updates later, it's still broken.

They invested (presumably) a fair amount of resources into designing a threaded messaging app for S60v3, something that would help make even their older-style non-touchscreen phones seem modern and socially connected. Then they completely failed to support their flagship non-touchscreen phone with it. Then they quietly discontinued the N86 not even a year after it launched in NAM.

Hardware and design-wise, the N86 is just right. Unfortunately, the software is a mess. I have not yet been spoiled by a modern touch interface phone, and even I can tell Symbian is 2-3 years behind the pack. I hear the touch version of it is worse. There are a dozen little frustrations I encounter whenever I try to use the phone for anything, and I have to wonder how S60 was ever on top. I guess there just didn't used to be any better alternatives.

I don't have any confidence this company can change its ways, even with maemo/meego around the corner. If anyone can find a way to gently caress that up, it's Nokia.

I'll keep using the N86 for a while longer, because despite all the software shittiness, it's still a cool little phone. But I can almost guarantee I won't be buying a Nokia again.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Dr Tran posted:

He's clearly lost his mind.

I'd lose my mind too if the only selling point of my smartphone was cheap data.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
E71 firmware v500 is out
http://www.techknots.com/mobiles/nokia-e71-gets-a-firmware-update-to-v500-21-009/

Godzilla07 posted:

I'd lose my mind too if the only selling point of my smartphone was cheap data.

No cap cheap data to tether the laptop Nokia gave me. If HTC showered me with swag I'd sing songs for them too.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I like my n900 but I think I would have been happier with an android phone. Really MeeGo is the only reason I can see this thing being worth the money I spent on it, because Maemo is definitely not a finished product compared to Android and iPhone. I won't be buying Nokia in the future unless something drastic changes, like Nokia deciding to support my phone with MeeGo.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
A couple of E7 videos, which is now rumored for a November release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHpN6dFgoCg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVznicTiUOI&t=20s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5znf4MCNxI&t=40s

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Has anybody tried this yet? I'm still running on whatever firmware Rogers shipped on theirs back in late 2008.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

VERTiG0 posted:

Has anybody tried this yet? I'm still running on whatever firmware Rogers shipped on theirs back in late 2008.

gently caress sakes, NSU says that I have the latest firmware, which is like 100.something, jesus loving christ come on.

I guess I have to change the product code now, ughhhhhh gently caress this Nokia poo poo

voltron
Nov 26, 2000

VERTiG0 posted:

gently caress sakes, NSU says that I have the latest firmware, which is like 100.something, jesus loving christ come on.

I guess I have to change the product code now, ughhhhhh gently caress this Nokia poo poo
I just assumed this would happen and didn't even check for the firmware update.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Changed my product code to a generic NAM one.

NSU finds it, says v500 is available, flashing now.

Will report back.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
oh my god it is so much faster now

voltron
Nov 26, 2000

VERTiG0 posted:

oh my god it is so much faster now

which one did you change it to? i'll try to upgrade if its much faster!
edit: oops, generic nam one, im on it

voltron fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 7, 2010

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Great, now Rogers 3G won't work at all and for some reason it won't pop up asking me which access point to select (either wifi, GoRogers, Rogers Internet, Rogers Media). For example, opening the Ovi Store just defaults to Rogers Internet which won't work and the only option I get is to exit.

How can I fix this?

{edit} wait, I think I got it. Go to Options under Web and into the access point selection, and choose Always Ask. This seems to apply across the board to every single app that wants to use data.

SWEET.

VERTiG0 fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jul 7, 2010

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
So retarded, I tried every US product code that NaviFirm found for 500.21 and none worked. Even the Nokia website says my product code could upgrade to the 400 firmware which it won't recognize with stock product code. Can't wait for my iPhone, sick of this poo poo.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

voltron posted:

So retarded, I tried every US product code that NaviFirm found for 500.21 and none worked. Even the Nokia website says my product code could upgrade to the 400 firmware which it won't recognize with stock product code. Can't wait for my iPhone, sick of this poo poo.

1) What's your original product code?

2) Is your phone carrier-locked?

voltron
Nov 26, 2000

Sir Unimaginative posted:

1) What's your original product code?

2) Is your phone carrier-locked?

1) 0569371
2) no, factory unlocked nam e71-2 rm-357

voltron fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jul 7, 2010

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
just did a factory reset after changing product codes, no luck. still says 200.21.118 is the latest.

wonder if the ovi software is to blame, it wont connect to my ovi account and it keeps the rotating activity blinker saying setting up e71:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
OK, gently caress Ovi Suite, I found Nokia PC Suite and it seems to be working at the moment... what a retarded update system, Nokia. I love you, but I want to kill you.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Edit: Never mind, you got it to work apparently. I'll just sit here with my 0569371 then. :sigh:

voltron
Nov 26, 2000

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Edit: Never mind, you got it to work apparently. I'll just sit here with my 0569371 then. :sigh:

I can show you what I did!

First, I did a Sync with Ovi from the phone for contacts and poo poo. I wanted to clean install my apps, so I didn't back those up.

Then I did a hard reset which brings you back to stock day 1: *#7370#

Then, I downloaded NSS: http://www.b-phreaks.co.uk/files/NSS/NSS103815.zip

Run, that, click the magnifying glass in the upper right corner.
Click Phone INfo.
Type in the following product code into the Product Code box on the right: 0559585
and click the Enabl radio box. Click write. Uncheck Enable. Click read and verify. Close NSS.

Download Nokia PC Suite: http://europe.nokia.com/support/download-software/pc-suites

install that
once its running, click file, check for phone software update.
it will downlod nokia software updater.
run and you should be where i'm at.

voltron fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jul 7, 2010

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
What do you think of it, voltron? I think it feels like a brand new phone.

voltron
Nov 26, 2000

VERTiG0 posted:

What do you think of it, voltron? I think it feels like a brand new phone.

I really don't notice any difference at all. I upgraded from 200.118 or whatever. I only use three apps: Gmail, Google Maps, and occasional web browsing. I was able to restore all my settings and contacts through Nokia PC Suite. The Ovi Suite version is a huge pile of poo poo and didn't work at all for me. It would recognize the E71 but not initialize at all. This is before I changed the product code because the Nokia website was saying my stock product code was ready for firmware 400.something. Not according to POS Ovi Suite.

I thought maybe your reports of a speed increase would speed up the Gmail app, seeing as how that is the slowest loading app I use. I didn't notice any difference.

Also, I did read on some forums that the messaging app has sped up a bit. Unfortunately, I forgot to back up my texts so I'll wait until it gets a bit more full to see how that pans out. As it stands, it seems faster than before, but the texts are all gone so more than variable has changed in that scenario.

Some icons changed, I noticed the download store has been replaced by the lovely Ovi store.

Overall, not worth the trouble. Glad someone else had some tangible benefits, though. :tbear:

voltron fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 7, 2010

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
welp;

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Does the v410 or v500 update help with the random reboots caused by at&t?

Here's some more N8 photo samples
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cliboub/sets/72157624437838860/

edit:

E71 product placement

Click here for the full 660x472 image.

Dr Tran fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 8, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
For the N82 owners out there, I found a seller on eBay who has 2300mAh (though the auction says 1770mAh, so who knows) batteries, which is a lot more capacity than the stock battery which is around 1050mAh. Unlike the other extended batteries which are huge and need a special battery door, these ones fit under the stock door. The fit is rather tight with an unmodded door, but if you snap off the little fins on the inside of the door, everything fits just fine like the stock battery. Look for seller efoodlifecn.

• Locked thread