Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Web Jew.0 posted:

Do matches count bc Benoit/Punk has gotta be up there.
Yes.

Orgophlax posted:

When I stopped watching WWE as a kid he was still doing play-by-play, interviews, etc, but I didn't catch on again until well into the Attitude era in 99 and he was full on Mr. McMahon.
I loved Ventura/McMahon as a commentary team.They had great chemistry with McMahon as the straight man and Jesse providing humor and bullying McMahon.My other favorite commentators were Heenan/Monsoon.I don't know if it's nostalgia making them seem better than they were but commentators today seem pretty lackluster in comparison(or even without holding them to anyone else's standards they still seem pretty lovely).
Do other people feel this way?
Also what are your favorite announcers,interviewers and/or commentators;both past and present?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Monsoon wasn't really that good but he worked so well with Heenan that it didn't matter, and while Vince played a great straight man to Ventura his commentary itself was pretty mediocre.

If I could have Heenan and JR as a commentary team I would be a happy, happy, happy man.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Monsoon wasn't really that good but he worked so well with Heenan that it didn't matter, and while Vince played a great straight man to Ventura his commentary itself was pretty mediocre.

Yeah. Even rewatching the '92 Rumble, Monsoon really stands out poorly. He doesn't pick up on anything subtle, he contradicts himself several times and he continually forgets that Flair, as the third entrant, came in two minutes after Bulldog at number one, not four.

When he's needling Heenan, it's terrific. When he's not, he's in danger of ruining some awesome moments (the way he misunderstands Jake Roberts' entry is painful).

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Riceball posted:

Since Mccool allegedly got married to Taker this weekend, I'm wondering when Undertaker got divorced from Sara.

Not sure when, but it was years ago. Taker got his throat tattoo removed.

Best commentary duo I've ever heard was JR and Cornette. It was sublime, but it only happened a few times, usually when RAW was on a Thursday or weekend.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Not sure when, but it was years ago. Taker got his throat tattoo removed.

Best commentary duo I've ever heard was JR and Cornette. It was sublime, but it only happened a few times, usually when RAW was on a Thursday or weekend.
I would love to see clips of this.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

quote:

Also what are your favorite announcers,interviewers and/or commentators;both past and present?

For my money, the J.R./Paul Heyman combo from 2001 will never, ever be beaten.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

savinhill posted:

I would love to see clips of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT_9P5TQ9MI

Corny is the best ever.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

I firmly believe that WMIX, the worst of them all, had the greatest announce team:
JR, Heenan, and Savage

Call me a Savage mark, but I loving love his commentary. A lot of times, whoever he was with would be too dumbstruck to respond to his insane interjections.

"GUESS WHO THIS CROWD IS BEHIND.....................ONE GUESS.....................THE MMMMMMMMMMEGAMANIACS!"

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

whatsabattle posted:

Corny is the best ever.
love J.R. matter-of-factly stating "we have seen exposed buttocks" :lol::lol:

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

savinhill posted:

If you don't think Mean Gene Okerlund is/was the best backstage interviewer ever, then you are completely wrong.

Edit: Did I read somewhere that he was just on Raw the other day?

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

If you don't think Mean Gene Okerlund is/was the best backstage interviewer ever, then you are completely wrong.

The funniest thing was a few weeks back when Mean Gene was ripping on the new guy and the camera pans back to show Josh Matthews all :smith: over it.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

Edit: Did I read somewhere that he was just on Raw the other day?

Exhibit A: When he completely humbled the Natural Born Thrillers on PPV.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Why didn't they use Scott Steiner more near the end of his last WWE run? I remember reading that they were keeping off TV because he wasn't gonna renew his contract. That makes partial sense but why not use him to put some people over on his way out at least?

This actually applies to a few people, but the Steiner case always stuck out in my mind.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Writer Cath posted:

The funniest thing was a few weeks back when Mean Gene was ripping on the new guy and the camera pans back to show Josh Matthews all :smith: over it.

The best Mean Gene is when he is actually being mean and snarky.
And yeah I should have listed Gene as a old school favorite of mine.He was a true professional.He managed to keep a straight face even when Booker T called Hogan the N-word.

Carbon Tiger
Nov 4, 2008

savinhill posted:

The best Mean Gene is when he is actually being mean and snarky.
And yeah I should have listed Gene as a old school favorite of mine.He was a true professional.He managed to keep a straight face even when Booker T called Hogan the N-word.

Yeah that was a good one. My favorite Mean Gene deals with a nutty promo was in the AWA when Dr. D was as he put it 'looking for a woman' and Gene lost it and cracked up.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

my wife has family in Bowling Green, KY. We live in Charlotte. The drive there used to take us through a town called Westmoreland, TN. Every time we went, for about five years, we'd drive past a Mean Gene's Pizza. Every time we drove past, we promised next time we'd go in and have pizza at Mean Gene's.

This year, we saw it had closed. We never did get pizza from Mean Gene. :(

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Just reading the name Dr. D reminded me of a story from awhile back.
It was about the heir to the DuPont drug company and how he was lovers with a wrestler(the rumor I heard is that it was a Dr. Death)and he had murdered this wrestler.
Is there any truth to this story?

Nelbert Zwieback
Aug 1, 2007

Rip said the worms were
too good for you

savinhill posted:

Just reading the name Dr. D reminded me of a story from awhile back.
It was about the heir to the DuPont drug company and how he was lovers with a wrestler(the rumor I heard is that it was a Dr. Death)and he had murdered this wrestler.
Is there any truth to this story?

It is true, but it was an Olympic wrestler named Dave Schultz, not Dr D The Redneck David Schultz. He is alive and well and still married to the woman he kept calling "Woman!" in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlHO3OUnz2A

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erfB64QXF_U

I tried to find the one where Mean Gene goes into kayfabe and talks carny on camera but I couldn't.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Moose Bigelow posted:

I tried to find the one where Mean Gene goes into kayfabe and talks carny on camera but I couldn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE1EGxscorg

It's at about 3:20.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

professorhess posted:

It is true, but it was an Olympic wrestler named Dave Schultz, not Dr D The Redneck David Schultz. He is alive and well and still married to the woman he kept calling "Woman!" in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlHO3OUnz2A
Thanks.I remember him now.I liked him when I was a kid.What happened to him in WWF?I don't know if I just missed some of his WWF career or if he just disappeared for behind the scenes reasons.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

whatsabattle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE1EGxscorg

It's at about 3:20.

Why isn't he still backstage announcer?

Lazy like a Fox
Jul 8, 2003

EKO SMASH!

whatsabattle posted:

Corny is the best ever.

"This match just might go on a long time!" really makes the whole segment. It's the kind of throw-away, white noise announcer line that you normally wouldn't even listen to, and it's awesome.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Lazy like a Fox posted:

"This match just might go on a long time!" really makes the whole segment. It's the kind of throw-away, white noise announcer line that you normally wouldn't even listen to, and it's awesome.

I think my favorite part is still "YO SARGE I DID IT" with the entirely perfect mockery of the standard Wrestlemania ending.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

ChampRamp posted:

Why isn't he still backstage announcer?

old/travel sucks

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
This is the best Mean Jean moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VV0Dcj1zPI

A Dapper Man
Apr 7, 2007

Sometimes, I just like to kick it freestyle.

Moose Bigelow posted:

I really really want a Mean Gene-O-Mania shirt.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Is Wrestlicious doing well? I hope it's doing well.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

DannoMack posted:

Is Wrestlicious doing well? I hope it's doing well.

Supposedly they've been getting clearances at a few other stations as the series progressed (though I've no idea where), and there are plans for another taping. So still in business it seems.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Minidust posted:

Why didn't they use Scott Steiner more near the end of his last WWE run? I remember reading that they were keeping off TV because he wasn't gonna renew his contract. That makes partial sense but why not use him to put some people over on his way out at least?

This actually applies to a few people, but the Steiner case always stuck out in my mind.

I think the big problem was Steiner was bombing so badly in matches. The HHH-Steiner matches are legendary for their badness, but even his feud with Test was filled with embarrassing moments like falling off the apron at Bad Blood 2003. Nobody was going to believe he was putting people over in the shape he was in.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0055 posted:

I think the big problem was Steiner was bombing so badly in matches. The HHH-Steiner matches are legendary for their badness, but even his feud with Test was filled with embarrassing moments like falling off the apron at Bad Blood 2003. Nobody was going to believe he was putting people over in the shape he was in.

Plus, he probably didn't want to put anyone over anyways.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Dr. Video Games 0055 posted:

This was an awesome event because right at that moment he falls off you hear a fan yell "TEST YOU SUCK YOU PUSSY!"

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
We should compile a list of all restaurants owned by or named after wrestlers.

Abdullah the Butcher owns the House of Ribs and Chinese Food in Atlanta, GA (and another in Japan).

Mean Gene apparently lost the copyrights to "Mean Gene" regarding restaurants, so none of those places are his anymore. Apparently its owned by Hot Stuff Foods but I can't find anything at all about it.

JR's place in Oklahoma went under this year.

Bam Bam Bigelow even opened a place :whatthechrist:

fake edit: What the hell have any of you seen this movie? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osaka_Wrestling_Restaurant

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

joshtothemaxx posted:

We should compile a list of all restaurants owned by or named after wrestlers.

Abdullah the Butcher owns the House of Ribs and Chinese Food in Atlanta, GA (and another in Japan).

Mean Gene apparently lost the copyrights to "Mean Gene" regarding restaurants, so none of those places are his anymore. Apparently its owned by Hot Stuff Foods but I can't find anything at all about it.

JR's place in Oklahoma went under this year.

Bam Bam Bigelow even opened a place :whatthechrist:

fake edit: What the hell have any of you seen this movie? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osaka_Wrestling_Restaurant

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Was Beaver Cleavage created with the intention of ditching the gimmick for "Chaz" a few weeks later? Or was it an earnest attempt at a new character?

What about the "Sisters Of Love"? Man that one Headbanger guy went through a lot of gimmicks.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

no longer in business, but...

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

Lamuella posted:

no longer in business, but...

He moved on (if not necessarily up) in the culinary world

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

apsouthern posted:

Cue 20 posts about meat shoes

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

apsouthern posted:

Wash it down with on of these babies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Karmine posted:

Cue 20 posts about meat shoes

There goes my "guess how you cook them" joke.