Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mcqueen posted:

The clutch lever is also pretty notchy, but only having a massive Harley to compare it too, I don't know if that's how it's supposed to be.

It shouldn't be like that; mine is pretty smooth. Maybe your clutch basket is worn and needs replacing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Slim Pickens posted:

It shouldn't be like that; mine is pretty smooth. Maybe your clutch basket is worn and needs replacing?

I'd check the cable and clutch perch first. Usually when the clutch basket goes on a modern bike it makes a hell of a rattle but there isn't much of a problem at the lever (in my experience).

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I've suddenly developed an overwhelming urge to own a thrashed, 15-year-old ZX-11. I'm not a sportbike guy, and I haven't seen or done anything to trigger such a desire. Am I broken?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Bucephalus posted:

I've suddenly developed an overwhelming urge to own a thrashed, 15-year-old ZX-11. I'm not a sportbike guy, and I haven't seen or done anything to trigger such a desire. Am I broken?

I was struck by that urge recently. There were 2 for sale for 2k in bakersfield. It passed when I bought the ZZR1200.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Bucephalus posted:

You've just developed a need.

A need for speed.

Similar thoughts have crossed my mind recently as well. I've never owned something so stupifyingly fast and stupid, although mine have focused more on CBR 929s.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I'm 2 years shy of 40, but this is only my 3rd year riding. I think I've subconsciously concluded that I need to get that sort of thing out of my system before I'm too old/tired/smart to enjoy it. I dunno.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I'm developing an urge for a newish Yamaha T-Max.
I know it's wrong, but I can't help but think it's also so right. And if I get that, then one day, budget permitting, I can feel ok about getting a toy Guzzi to shine and admire on sunny days too.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Slim Pickens posted:

Sorry, I meant the shifter action itself. The place where your foot goes. I don't know all the lingo, sorry.

In other news, it's over 60 degrees in Seattle, so I spent 5 minutes outside lubing the chain, and in that time 7 bikes rode by, no one had anything more protective than a t-shirt, shorts, and street shoes. I preemptively poured a bit of my beer on the sidewalk.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Linedance posted:

I'm developing an urge for a newish Yamaha T-Max.
I know it's wrong, but I can't help but think it's also so right. And if I get that, then one day, budget permitting, I can feel ok about getting a toy Guzzi to shine and admire on sunny days too.
Considering I've seen videos of some of those maxi-scooters doing 115 MPH, and 1/4 mile times in the high 14's, I can't say that I blame you. They're definitely not in the Eddie Izzard 'Ciao!' zone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yay, got my car inspected today and since the only things that failed it were expected (rear brakes, tint), the guy is buying it, which means an FCR will be in my near future.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Yay, got my car inspected today and since the only things that failed it were expected (rear brakes, tint), the guy is buying it, which means an FCR will be in my near future.

You are in for a treat :)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, I'm gonna throw a grand at the DRZ, and I'm trying to figure out what to do with the other $400. Rear rack and fuel tank are up there.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, I'm gonna throw a grand at the DRZ, and I'm trying to figure out what to do with the other $400. Rear rack and fuel tank are up there.

I got this rear rack and I really like my IMS tank...less of a lift to the gas cap so it's easier to get up on the front of the bike, carries the fuel lower in the bike than the Clarke. Some people have complained about fit issues, I haven't had a problem. If you can find one used, you could probably come out with at least 100$ still left over. :)

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

I read that as NCR at first and went "Whoa, what car did HE sell?:aaa:"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hah, I sold an 8 year old SVT Focus for under market value because I'm too lazy to get the issues fixed and never use it, anyway. Prior to the last couple weeks, it had been sitting close to nine months, I'd estimate. Between my bikes and public transportation I can get wherever I need to be.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The FCR's are currently the best carb money can buy. Putting one on even a stock DRZ is an amazing transformation. You'll love it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Hah, I sold an 8 year old SVT Focus for under market value because I'm too lazy to get the issues fixed and never use it, anyway. Prior to the last couple weeks, it had been sitting close to nine months, I'd estimate. Between my bikes and public transportation I can get wherever I need to be.

Also have you checked for used carbs? I bought mine and my tank for 370$ shipped off of CL.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

redscare posted:

I really like the FZ6 too though.

My first bike is an FZ6 and I'm feeling kind of spoiled having gotten it. It's not as torquey as, for example an SV650, but so long as you're willing to wind it out it's a hell of a lot of bike for the money.

The suspension feels way less spongy and more responsive than anything else I've ridden, but mostly that's just middle/lightweight Japanese pseudosport/old sport bikes.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

My first bike is an FZ6 and I'm feeling kind of spoiled having gotten it. It's not as torquey as, for example an SV650, but so long as you're willing to wind it out it's a hell of a lot of bike for the money.

The suspension feels way less spongy and more responsive than anything else I've ridden, but mostly that's just middle/lightweight Japanese pseudosport/old sport bikes.

Luckyyyyyyyy. Saw a Black/Silver FZ1 on ebay yesterday and thought for sure I was staring into my future.

Also, I am relieved that after all these years, Dwight Eisenhower is still responding to the Red Scare.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
:ohdear:

I am seriously considering getting a liter bike as the upgrade to my sv650. You know... for extra touring abilities and all. So far I have gotten a few offers on the SV. If this goes through I will have the craziest looking CBR1000RR with pelican cases bolted to the back, upright bars, and more foglights on the front than the average VStrom. Oh god saveee meeeee :byodood:

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
I found this beautiful thing at my desk today:

It's time to ditch the leathers and armor! Lady Liberty will keep me safe!

This is obviously a revenge "gift" from Marv. I don't think he likes the custom avatar I bought him. ;)

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Crayvex posted:

This is obviously a revenge "gift" from Marv. I don't think he likes the custom avatar I bought him. ;)

Its a gift so you have to wear it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

8ender posted:

Its a gift so you have to wear it

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Phat_Albert posted:

Consdering that Marv owns one too, I think he and I should start a gang. We can wear these shirts or at least cut out the awesome graphic and attach it to out jackets. Ride On, Lady Liberty!!!

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Crayvex posted:

I found this beautiful thing at my desk today:

It's time to ditch the leathers and armor! Lady Liberty will keep me safe!

Wait, how come you got a tee shirt, and *I* got my avatar changed? :argh:

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

I'll agree to post a pic of me wearing it in Cobra Commander garb... Or not.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Doctor Zero posted:

Wait, how come you got a tee shirt, and *I* got my avatar changed? :argh:

Why is it when I try to retaliate with something ridiculous, people manage to turn it into the coolest thing EVER? Witness Frankie Laine, a tacky t-shirt, and perhaps the best airbrush painting ever committed to a Valk. Make that the best painting ever committed to a motorcycle, period :) In pure $ terms, yours was twice as expensive.

Dude, Vincent Price from beyond the grave in a jester's cap holding four aces. Bursting through a Valk tank. This guy deserves a spot next to Warhol in the Museum of Modern Art.

Marv Hushman fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jun 29, 2010

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Marv Hushman posted:

Why is it when I try to retaliate with something ridiculous, people manage to turn it into the coolest thing EVER? Witness Frankie Laine, a tacky t-shirt, and perhaps the best airbrush painting ever committed to a Valk. Make that the best painting ever committed to a motorcycle, period :) In pure $ terms, yours was twice as expensive.

Dude, Vincent Price from beyond the grave in a jester's cap holding four aces. Bursting through a Valk tank. This guy deserves a spot next to Warhol in the Museum of Modern Art.

I must admit ... I Love it. :allears:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I've got the new Bi-Color wheel on the KTM and I must say, it is VERY distracting. I can't stop watching it flash and spin while I'm riding. It's going to get me killed.

Also having a brand new slick tire on the front paired with a 8 month old track destroyed squared off rear creates some hilarious handling characteristics. Gotta change that rear out ASAP. The bike fights to turn in and then just falls off the planet. The sides are triangled off super hard from the track and now after a few months of commuting it's squared off as well, so it just doesn't want to turn until you roll off to the side where it wants to jump to maximum peg scraping lean angle. There's no middle ground, it's kind of fun.

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cust...35e7377dc#v4-33

hmm ... no warranty you say?

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

shipwrek posted:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cust...35e7377dc#v4-33

hmm ... no warranty you say?
Oh god. I can't unhear it. In Tsaven Nava's voice (among a few others here in the forum).

That eBay Ad posted:

"Yeah man I was watching Tron Legacy the other day man did you see that Lightcycle Bike on Ebay man that was sweet they like fabricated all the parts for and stuff and you love lightcycles don’t you because I think they’re sweet and on American Lightcycle they made a trike out of a Lightcycle and did all sorts of radical stuff and it was so awesome and I want to have Jeff Bridges' man babies
TRON LEGACY TRON LEGACY TRON LEGACY TRON LEGACY TRON LEGACY TRON LEGACY TRON LEGACY TRON LEGACY TRON LEGACY TRON LEGACY TRON LEGACY
LIGHTCYCLE - LIGHTCYCLE - LIGHTCYCLE - LIGHTCYCLE - LIGHTCYCLE - LIGHTCYCLE - LIGHTCYCLE - LIGHTCYCLE - LIGHTCYCLE - LIGHTCYCLE - LIGHTCYCLE
I want to put neon trim on my refrigerator and buy a Batsuit, too, but you know the girlfriend making me buy a ninja and driving up to Wisconsin to have sex a lot instead man but if it was up to me I’d be living free and riding free in the LIGHTCYCLE ARENA just like Jeff Bridges and Bruce Boxleitner but I wouldn’t get derezzed you know what I mean har har cause that would suck and I saw this documentary and all these people were there riding free and checking out ENCOM ENCOM solar sailer solar sailer bike bike derezz LIGHTCYCLE - LIGHTCYCLE - LIGHTCYCLE - LIGHTCYCLE - LIGHTCYCLE - LIGHTCYCLE - LIGHTCYCLE - LIGHTCYCLE - LIGHTCYCLE - LIGHTCYCLE - LIGHTCYCLE"

(all in good fun...I hope!)

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 29, 2010

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
HAHA! I finally fixed der scooters handling problem. A nice fresh set of Avons did the trick.

I'm a happy camper. I ran a can of sea foam through it for extra measure and that boy is ready to rock.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jabs posted:

Oh god. I can't unhear it. In Tsaven Nava's voice (among a few others here in the forum).

(all in good fun...I hope!)

That rant just keeps on giving.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
I got to watch some middle-aged rebel-at-heart Harley rider wreck this weekend. Dude was wobbling all over the place and dragging his feet at anything under 20mph. I told my wife to keep an eye on him and have her cell phone ready because he's going to wipe out. As soon as the words left my lips the dude hits a bump, grabs a handful of throttle, and rockets head-on into a car in the turn lane that was waiting to make a left.

There were a couple of EMTs sitting in their ambulance in an adjacent parking lot eating lunch that saw it happen who were immediately on the scene. Dude was in shock and covered in blood, but all of it was from superficial cuts and scrapes. His novelty helmet was split in two and his gas station aviators put plastic shards all around his eye sockets. His t-shirt, jeans, and cowboy boots looked as if they had been used by a bear as a chew toy.

All of this was from a maybe 20mph impact.

He should be fine and I'm sure he'll have a nice concussion and an even nicer headache. The thing I hate the most is knowing he's going to be telling people the rest of his life about the time he "had to lay 'er down" as if the wreck was somehow not completely his fault due to a lack of skill and training.

Get trained and wear your gear, folks. Scars are only cool when you get them from a war or a shark attack or something. You look a hell of a lot dumber wobbling all over the road or wearing a halo than you do taking an MSF class or wearing real gear.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
This guy I used to be friends with but haven't seen in a few years posted a video on facebook the other day of him 'learning' on his buddies Gixxer (just some putting around on a residential street) in a hoodie and shorts. I told him straight up that a) its dumb to ride and shorts and b) he should take the MSF first instead. Hopefully he listens.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
I got video of a guy the other night riding some sort of sports bike in Sydney, wearing joggers with the laces undone.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
I saw two dudes on cruisers this weekend wearing helmets, shorts, and shoes. I know what you're thinking, and yes, they had *great* tans.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
On the flipside, all of these out-of-nowhere storms we're having scare the pansy riders off and bring the manly, responsible ones out of the woodworks. I saw five (5) fully geared riders today. That's unheard of around here.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Note to Intruder 1500/Boulevard C90 owners: if you remove the crash/highway bars, please replace the lower bolts, because they hold the loving front motor mounts in place. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
Hey JTS, I found the perfect job for you.