Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Rookoo posted:

EDIT: Apparently you can just use usb flash drives? This would be a great deal simpler as I have a 8gb flash drive.

Yes, flash drives work too. I used an 8gb one until I got my external HDD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Rookoo posted:

EDIT: Apparently you can just use usb flash drives? This would be a great deal simpler as I have a 8gb flash drive.

Just did my new black Wii last night. Loaded New Super Mario Bros.Wii onto a SanDisk Cruzer 8GB. Worked like a charm!

Check out this compatibility list :

http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Index.php/USB_Devices_Compatibility_List#1GB

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Rookoo posted:

So i'm pretty broke and can't afford a new external Hard Drive. I do however have a couple of older HDD's laying around, for example, an old 40GB Maxtor Diamondmax ATA.

I have managed to find this http://www.amazon.co.uk/IOMAX-SATA-Adapter-Power-Drive/dp/B001A5SK56/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top which seems to be a fair price, however, I have no idea if ATA drives will work with the Wii, or if indeed, the adapter will.

Can anyone shed any light on this/ suggest a similarly priced (Or even cheaper) enclosure that the HDD will work with?

IF you want an enclosure for your old IDE drives: http://www.amazon.com/3-5-IDE-HDD-Enclosure-Black/dp/B0018NEQFI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1277829520&sr=8-4 I have one of these, it works fine on the Wii and everything else. Even if you go with the flash drive on your Wii, this will still be useful for your regular computers.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Rookoo posted:

If you've got a flash drive lying around, it's worth a try. Can't hurt as long as you backup whatever's on the thing first. One of mine worked, but I've since switched to a SATA drive running in a cheap enclosure.

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

Nevermind, I had to delete stub ios's, which isn't in the OP.

lwoodio fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 29, 2010

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
It looks like someone figured a way to downgrade 4.3!

http://gbatemp.net/t237997-downgrading-ios-15-on-4-3-virgin-wii

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
So the Indiana Pwnes hack still works on 4.3, but the latest version of the Hackmii installer (0.6) won't install homebrew. Is there another version i'm missing? Or is there an alternative?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

LanceKing2200 posted:

So the Indiana Pwnes hack still works on 4.3, but the latest version of the Hackmii installer (0.6) won't install homebrew. Is there another version i'm missing? Or is there an alternative?

Just wait, there will be an updated homebrew channel/installer soon enough. Give 'em a little time.

Edit: Also it is confirmed that the Smash Stack still works too.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

LanceKing2200 posted:

Use the method posted in the link to downgrade IOS 36. Install Priiloader and install the hacks for 4.3 that will allow the existing HBC from being installed.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Sizzlechest posted:

Use the method posted in the link to downgrade IOS 36. Install Priiloader and install the hacks for 4.3 that will allow the existing HBC from being installed.

Or don't do this because it's pretty untested and risky. Just save yourself the money and wait until Hackmii installed 0.7

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Sizzlechest posted:

It looks like someone figured a way to downgrade 4.3!

http://gbatemp.net/t237997-downgrading-ios-15-on-4-3-virgin-wii

That's kinda cool. That post was deleted, but here is a summary post and if you scroll down, there's a link to a copy of the original that has been translated to not-terrible English:

the translation posted:

Get the latest version of WiiPower's Trucha Bug Restorer (http://www.mediafire.com/?qzmqirhnuyz)
2. Using NUSD, checking the Pack Wad option in the app download the oldest revision of IOS 41, namely IOS 41 v2835
3. Install the IOS 41 wad you grabbed with regular Wad Manager, It doesn't much metter which IOS you use during the operation since it's a legitimate IOS signed by Nintendo... Also you can use any wad manager tool out there..
4. Launch Trucha Bug Restorer, select the IOS to be used as 41 and choose Downgrade IOS 15... Continue normally as you would do it on 4.2...
5. After you've downgraded IOS 15, launch Trucha Bug Restorer again this time to patch IOS 36... Select IOS to be used as IOS 15 and resume normal operation of this tool... Beware, you might need to repeat this step from the start since TBR just codedumps randomly when reloading IOS into 15.. This will not do any harm to your wii...
6. If you've successfully patched IOS 36, now get rid of IOS 41 if you want it so...
7. Have fun with the trucha patched IOS 36

ps1: You need either SmashStack or Indiana Pwns exploit to run Wad Manager and TBR... If you don't know what I'm talking about then just go for a more noob friendly thread instead of this. :P

dirby fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jun 30, 2010

electricsugar
Jan 21, 2008

Tum again?

Rookoo posted:

I use a Patriot 8bg flash drive and it works just fine.

Can usually fit about 2-3 games on it depending on size. Just gonna stick with this until I can afford a nice 1tb external :D

Wheeler W Wetherby
Sep 30, 2004

• Has an O-level in camel-hygiene
  • Can count up to 4
I have a Japanese Wii with the homebrew channel. I just got the Netflix Wii disc in the mail, but I get a black screen when I try to run it. How do I get Netflix working on a hacked Wii?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Homebrew doesn't affect Netflix. Perhaps the disc is NTSC only? What if you try running it from a loader?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

rt4 posted:

Homebrew doesn't affect Netflix. Perhaps the disc is NTSC only? What if you try running it from a loader?

Japan is NTSC.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Bad disc perhaps?

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

fishmech posted:

Japan is NTSC.

NTSC-J is not the same thing as NTSC-U.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

FlamingMoose posted:

I have a Japanese Wii with the homebrew channel. I just got the Netflix Wii disc in the mail, but I get a black screen when I try to run it. How do I get Netflix working on a hacked Wii?

You're probably lacking or having an old version of some IOS it needs. If you're not already on 4.2, you could try using NUS Auto Downloader which everyone in this thread are recommending, it helps you update all IOSes in addition to the System Menu. I haven't had the chance to try the thing myself, but it seems to support all regions.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Zorilla posted:

NTSC-J is not the same thing as NTSC-U.

That doesn't make Japan not NTSC. (And when it comes to TVs themselves the differences between NTSC-J and NTSC-U are so negligible that most people won't notice).

Wheeler W Wetherby
Sep 30, 2004

• Has an O-level in camel-hygiene
  • Can count up to 4
Welp, looks like I've semi-bricked it. I get an Opera error on the settings page. Any suggestions?

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

fishmech posted:

That doesn't make Japan not NTSC. (And when it comes to TVs themselves the differences between NTSC-J and NTSC-U are so negligible that most people won't notice).

I was referring to region lockouts. I'm assuming they might still apply if software is run through the disc channel.

kkpro
Feb 15, 2004
Anyone have any idea why I can't get game images showing in Triiforce?

At first I was using the auto-sd load from Marc's Pack (R 2.2), wouldn't show any images and alot of the game titles were showing up like WSAE, just an example.

Changed to v10b, now the titles are all showing their respective names however even after downloading via the TF menu itself and restarting, still no dice.

Have also tried downloading an image pack and placing it in /triiforce on the SD root, no luck yet again :\

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

EDIT: Nevermind, I am a STUPID NEWBIE and should have stuck with CIOS rev17!

kkpro fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jul 2, 2010

ROOMBA floorvac
Aug 21, 2004
I downloaded a few save files to put on my Wii. A couple of them have the copy protection and I figured I would use the save game manager to transfer them; however, when I try to view them in the app, they don't show up. Am I doing something wrong?? They are .bin files btw.

Edit: Fixed it! Priiloader is awesome! (No save copy protection)

ROOMBA floorvac fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 7, 2010

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So, I got myself Sakura Wars and it's apparently the biggest pain in the arse to install.

So bad, in fact, that, when installed, it took out two installed games on my hdd, nothing big or irreplaceable but still.

It apparently installs to about 60% and then calls it installed, no "Banner" music when clicked or nothing.

I mean it's not that big an issue; I can load it though Gekko but whatever nonsense they've put on it is stopping my DVD drive from reading it so even that way isn't working.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 7, 2010

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Did they ever get loading the main dol in metroid prime trilogy to work in any of the USB loaders - I know I can just go to MP1-3 via their dol files (usbloader gx prompts me at least) but then I guess its not associated with that little profile I start in the trilogy menu that consolidates all your info about completion % and poo poo.

edit: I'm using whatever the last stable release of usb loader gx is and cios 249 if that matters. rev19 with whatever the default ios was (I never got around to installing the hermes one other than 202)

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Does anyone know anything about custom Mario Kart tracks for modded wiis?

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
Edit: wrong thread

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Robolizard! posted:

Did they ever get loading the main dol in metroid prime trilogy to work in any of the USB loaders - I know I can just go to MP1-3 via their dol files (usbloader gx prompts me at least) but then I guess its not associated with that little profile I start in the trilogy menu that consolidates all your info about completion % and poo poo.

edit: I'm using whatever the last stable release of usb loader gx is and cios 249 if that matters. rev19 with whatever the default ios was (I never got around to installing the hermes one other than 202)

No as of yet there is no way to set up Metroid Prime to load normally you still have to use the separate boot dols. But if you want to associate the saves with a profile make a profile by loading the game normal then use the alt dol and it should be associated.

Spacebump posted:

Does anyone know anything about custom Mario Kart tracks for modded wiis?

They area all pretty terrible.

Rabid Koala
Aug 18, 2003

I had a close call tonight with Wii Update. One of my friends wanted to play the New Super Mario Bros Wii disc that was in my system, so he clicked on the icon for the disc, which was flashing "SYSTEM UPDATE" in giant letters. Before I could stop it, he was updating my system.

Luckily, I had the foresight to install Priiloader, which disabled the update and allowed him to play the game without removing the Homebrew Channel. The moral of the story is that Priiloader is a drat good thing.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Rabid Koala posted:

Luckily, I had the foresight to install Priiloader, which disabled the update and allowed him to play the game without removing the Homebrew Channel. The moral of the story is that Priiloader is a drat good thing.

I'm confused; does priiloader have a setting like that? I'm pretty sure I just don't see "system update?" questions in the first place with whatever setting I have. But it's totally possible I'm just confused because I fake-update my Wii when necessary.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

helopticor posted:

I'm confused; does priiloader have a setting like that? I'm pretty sure I just don't see "system update?" questions in the first place with whatever setting I have. But it's totally possible I'm just confused because I fake-update my Wii when necessary.

It's under System Menu Hacks. You'll need a hacks.ini with the list of hacks and their relevant offsets to use it.

Hacks like these also allows you to do things like disable the menu music, or my favorite, skip the health screen on startup.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Priiloader also allows you to boot directly to HBC or whatever DOL you feel like on boot, and can alter where you go when pressing the Home button inside of games, it's pretty neat.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Rabid Koala posted:

I had a close call tonight with Wii Update. One of my friends wanted to play the New Super Mario Bros Wii disc that was in my system, so he clicked on the icon for the disc, which was flashing "SYSTEM UPDATE" in giant letters. Before I could stop it, he was updating my system.

I could never get Priiloader to work, but I ran the update on my system as well. It didn't remove the Homebrew channel, but it does close some of the security. I had to re-exploit the system to get everything working again.

Now I just launch Mario Galaxy 2 from the "backup" channel since that has a DVD launch option which also launches regular Wii games.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Keito posted:

...and can alter where you go when pressing the Home button inside of games, it's pretty neat.

It can? I've never heard of that. The home screen inside of games exists entirely in the game data (which is why older games home screen looks slightly different).

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

Rabid Koala posted:

I had a close call tonight with Wii Update.

No you didn't, NSMBW has System Menu 4.1 on it, which doesn't delete anything.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I had things removed after running it way back when. Just don't run disc updates, regardless of what the downloaded version of the patch does or does not do.

Rabid Koala
Aug 18, 2003

pokecapn posted:

No you didn't, NSMBW has System Menu 4.1 on it, which doesn't delete anything.

Eh, I guess I'm not sure what Priiloader does then. I'm just glad I didn't lose my homebrew.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

FlyingCheese posted:

It can? I've never heard of that. The home screen inside of games exists entirely in the game data (which is why older games home screen looks slightly different).

I know that the home screen is packed in with the rest of the game bundle, but what I assume it does, is altering what the Wii executes when the call to go to the System Menu is used. Experimented a little bit with it a while ago, and even the Homebrew Channel's "go back to System Menu" option was executing the DOL file I had installed. Now I've set it up to go to the Priiloader menu, as it launches in less than a second and provides quick access to everything.

cycowolf
Feb 14, 2005

Refill my prescription to whatever that thing is that makes the carpet stop turning into snakes in lieu of my coming conniption
I have not used my Wii in a very long time and I have fallen out of the know when it comes to homebrew. I checked and it seems the homebrew channel is beta 8 so that tells you how long its been. Im trying to catch up right now and there is a lot to catch up on. Can you still not use the shop channel? Its pretty cool that they have been able to do so much. The Wii is technically my roommates and he is afraid of it getting bricked so I am looking to reassure him. If I update to the newest Homebrew channel what do I have to or should I update the Wii at any point? Thanks for all the info in the thread. Sorry for the questions.

cycowolf fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jul 16, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

cycowolf posted:

I have not used my Wii in a very long time and I have fallen out of the know when it comes to homebrew. I checked and it seems the homebrew channel is beta 8 so that tells you how long its been. Im trying to catch up right now and there is a lot to catch up on. Can you still not use the shop channel? Its pretty cool that they have been able to do so much. The Wii is technically my roommates and he is afraid of it getting bricked so I am looking to reassure him. Thanks for all the info in the thread.

You can remain on 4.2 and install the latest shop channel. Just install the latest HBC, backup your NAND using BootMii (boot2), and you're good to go. Any fuckups can be fixed by a BootMii restore.

• Locked thread