Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah, I started reading that, then skipped to the bit about how to get games, then decided I'd much rather spend money than whore myself out on social media sites for games.

I guess they could use the exposure though.

That reminds me, I need to pick up Shogo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
You can get in the drawing just by posting a reply to the thread on GOG too, so you don't need to be a social network whore to qualify.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Oh yeah, thanks for that.

I really should be rewarding no-DRM more, too.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

odiv posted:

Yeah, I started reading that, then skipped to the bit about how to get games, then decided I'd much rather spend money than whore myself out on social media sites for games.

1) It's only Twitter. I think everyone who matters or will matter is already established

2) I'm a consumer whore.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Seriously, if you are worried about twittering something, you are doing it wrong. I tweeted the poo poo out of that. I want free games.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
I bought Lionheart.. that last interplay game or somesuch. While it is now too late.. is it any good? :) Anything I should know?

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

glug posted:

I bought Lionheart.. that last interplay game or somesuch. While it is now too late.. is it any good? :) Anything I should know?
The concept is great and the first area is not bad

I'm out of positive things to say now

Swamp Zero
Dec 8, 2009

by elpintogrande

AxeManiac posted:

Seriously, if you are worried about twittering something, you are doing it wrong. I tweeted the poo poo out of that. I want free games.

They're not free. You just worked for their advertising as surely as walking around with their name on your t-shirt.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Swamp Zero posted:

They're not free. You just worked for their advertising as surely as walking around with their name on your t-shirt.

or posting in an internet thread about gog.com

Swamp Zero
Dec 8, 2009

by elpintogrande

glug posted:

or posting in an internet thread about gog.com

Not really, because you're on a forum because you want to talk about stuff relevant to the forum topic. Presumably, you're not following someone on twitter so you can read about whatever random advertisement he got talked into making.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Swamp Zero posted:

I'd wear a tshirt that said GOG on it for free games.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Swamp Zero posted:

Not really, because you're on a forum because you want to talk about stuff relevant to the forum topic. Presumably, you're not following someone on twitter so you can read about whatever random advertisement he got talked into making.

I guess that's where I'm an old luddite and you might not be. I don't use twitter, and if I did, I couldn't imagine having a bunch of followers because if I had anything worth a poo poo to tell any of my friends, I would just tell them, or use our private forums. I cannot for the life of me figure out why anyone not-famous and not a business has any reason to broadcast 140 characters about anything at all, or why anyone would follow them to hear that.

vvv - that's my point. It's not like we'd be advertising this crap to 1000s of people. You have more of a chance of bringing GOG to someone's attention just by posting in (and bumping) this thread.

glug fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jul 1, 2010

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I have zero followers, but retweeted it anyways. Doesn't matter to GOG.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
Well I have 10 followers, even though I've never tweeted. Now Lou Barlow knows about GOG :black101:

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma

odiv posted:

The twitter thing took me 3 seconds to do.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

AxeManiac posted:

I've reluctantly made a Facebook account since EVERYONE goddamn uses it so it's the best way to keep track of people, but I never actually use it because I think all this flash in the pan Web 2.0 social networking stuff is stupid. Apparently nobody has an undying urge to know what I've had for breakfast each day, so I've been spared the looming presence of Twitter.

That being said I would totally tweet this around like a good little consumer whore if I did actually use that particular service.

Swamp Zero
Dec 8, 2009

by elpintogrande

glug posted:

I guess that's where I'm an old luddite and you might not be. I don't use twitter, and if I did, I couldn't imagine having a bunch of followers because if I had anything worth a poo poo to tell any of my friends, I would just tell them, or use our private forums. I cannot for the life of me figure out why anyone not-famous and not a business has any reason to broadcast 140 characters about anything at all, or why anyone would follow them to hear that.

vvv - that's my point. It's not like we'd be advertising this crap to 1000s of people. You have more of a chance of bringing GOG to someone's attention just by posting in (and bumping) this thread.

I don't use it either and I see your point. That's why I said "presumably". I presume any followers on a personal twitter one might have don't really want to know about advertisements, unless it's the personal twitter of a GOG dude.

You are advertising it to some people tho. Not only that, your advertisement is more effective than just a banner or an ad somewhere, because the source is you, and someone that presumably is interested in what you have to say will be more susceptible to it. Apparently that is worth money to GOG.

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

The twitter thing took me 3 seconds to do.

Advertisement has a value no matter how fast you can do it. It took you 3 seconds to post it, sure, but that was giving someone 3 seconds worth of your contact list to advertise.

In your mind, 3 seconds worth of effort to broadcast to your follower list has a price? What if it took you 2 seconds, but your follower list was 10 times as large?

Swamp Zero fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 1, 2010

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma
Oh no the 10 spammers and half naked women who are promoting their websites in my twitter are victims. Nooooooo.

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

QUALITY SEIZURE-INDUCED GLITCH-HOP FUN!
This style of advertising has been around forever in some form. Also, everyone who complains about social networking and this form of advertising should probably catch up with the rest of the world and read some scholarly material on it. Granted not everyone goes into marketing and will actually understand or care about this stuff, but before you bitch about it you should at least realize the genius behind the modern methods of advertising, because it sure as hell is better than the annoying drivel being pumped through television.

Swamp Zero
Dec 8, 2009

by elpintogrande

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

Oh no the 10 spammers and half naked women who are promoting their websites in my twitter are victims. Nooooooo.

It's not so harmful in your case :) But I guess not everyone uses twitter like that? Or maybe they do I don't know!

SixOhSix posted:

This style of advertising has been around forever in some form. Also, everyone who complains about social networking and this form of advertising should probably catch up with the rest of the world and read some scholarly material on it. Granted not everyone goes into marketing and will actually understand or care about this stuff, but before you bitch about it you should at least realize the genius behind the modern methods of advertising, because it sure as hell is better than the annoying drivel being pumped through television.

It's genius therefore you should not complain? Is that what you're trying to say?

It's not better than television advertising except if you mean better at advertising. Which it is. You can filter out television advertising, you can't filter out every random friend on a social site that got conned into being an advertising bot to his personal relations.

Swamp Zero fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jul 1, 2010

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
If you think you're at all exempt or uninfluenced by advertising then you are completely unaware of the way advertising works. But that's about the norm, since that's the whole goal of modern advertising.

http://www.historyisaweapon.com/defcon1/bernprop.html

quote:

If, for instance, I want to sell video games, it is not sufficient to blanket the country with a direct appeal, such as:

"YOU, buy a GOG video game now! It is cheap. The best gamers play them. It will last for years."

The claims may all be true, but they are in direct conflict with the claims of other game sellers, and in indirect competition with the claims of a radio or a motor car, each competing for the consumer's dollar.

What are the true reasons why the purchaser is planning to spend his money on a new car instead of on a new game? Because he has decided that he wants the commodity called locomotion more than he wants the commodity called game? Not altogether. He buys a car, because it is at the moment the group custom to buy cars.

The modern propagandist therefore sets to work to create circumstances which will modify that custom. He appeals perhaps to the home instinct which is fundamental. He will endeavor to develop public acceptance of the idea of a game room in the home. This he may do, for example, by organizing an exhibition of video game systems designed by well known manufacturers who themselves exert an influence on the buying groups. He enhances the effectiveness and prestige of these systems by putting in them rare and exotic materials, like Blu-Ray or HD-DVD. Then, in order to create dramatic interest in the exhibit, he stages an event or gathering. To this ceremony key people, persons known to influence the buying habits of the public, such as a famous designer, a popular artist, and a well-respected manufacturer, are invited. These key persons affect other groups, lifting the idea of the video game system to a place in the public consciousness which it did not have before. The juxtaposition of these leaders, and the idea which they are dramatizing, are then projected to the wider public through various publicity channels. Meanwhile, influential architects have been persuaded to make the music room an integral architectural part of their plans with perhaps a specially charming niche in one corner for the video game. Less influential architects will as a matter of course imitate what is done by the men whom they consider masters of their profession. They in turn will implant the idea of the game room in the mind of the general public.

The game room will be accepted because it has been made The Thing. And the man or woman who has a game room, or has arranged a corner of the parlor as a game corner, will naturally think of buying a game. It will come to him as his own idea.

Under the old salesmanship the manufacturer said to the prospective purchaser, "Please buy a game." The new salesmanship has reversed the process and caused the prospective purchaser to say to the manufacturer, "Please sell me a game."

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 1, 2010

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

^^ welp that covers it pretty well also.

Swamp Zero posted:

It's not so harmful in your case :) But I guess not everyone uses twitter like that? Or maybe they do I don't know!

It's genius therefore you should not complain? Is that what you're trying to say?

It's not better than television advertising except if you mean better at advertising. Which it is. You can filter out television advertising, you can't filter out every random friend on a social site that got conned into being an advertising bot to his personal relations.

You can complain, but the instant response you will get from anyone that has knowledge in marketing and communications will simply be 'if you don't like it, then clearly you're not the target audience.' It's cheap, effective advertising. In actuality you're participating in it by posting in this very thread in reality. Even if it's griping, you're bumping the thread, increasing post count, and causing it greater traffic that will cause information about the site to reach more eyeballs. Hell, even not talking about specifically GoG, you most likely are unknowingly advertising a multitude of companies and products for free. The only reason you have a spite about this, is because you're made more aware of it actually, and that's simply because they're giving the opportunity to pay you in some form (if you're lucky, granted).
Think about it, in reality a good chunk of this forum is free advertising for a lot of products.

Swamp Zero
Dec 8, 2009

by elpintogrande

SixOhSix posted:

^^ welp that covers it pretty well also.

You can complain, but the instant response you will get from anyone that has knowledge in marketing and communications will simply be 'if you don't like it, then clearly you're not the target audience.' It's cheap, effective advertising. In actuality you're participating in it by posting in this very thread in reality. Even if it's griping, you're bumping the thread, increasing post count, and causing it greater traffic that will cause information about the site to reach more eyeballs. Hell, even not talking about specifically GoG, you most likely are unknowingly advertising a multitude of companies and products for free. The only reason you have a spite about this, is because you're made more aware of it actually, and that's simply because they're giving the opportunity to pay you in some form (if you're lucky, granted).
Think about it, in reality a good chunk of this forum is free advertising for a lot of products.

That's also the response I'd get from a genius rapist hedge fund manager or other type of criminal.

I don't get if you're defending it, just challenging my knowledge of the subject (why?), which admittedly isn't that much, or just being excited about something you learned and want to talk about it. I don't have to "think about it", I already thought about it a long time ago, and so have most people around here. I know it sounds exciting but it isn't really all that complicated to get the general idea.

Also no, you're incorrect about the second part of your post. There is a difference in me bumping the thread or someone posting twitter advertisements. I am, and everyone else in this thread, is interested in GOG. He is, you could say, explicitly subscribed to the subject matter. A random dude on your twitter list isn't.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Swamp Zero posted:

That's also the response I'd get from a genius rapist hedge fund manager or other type of criminal.

I don't get if you're defending it, just challenging my knowledge of the subject (why?), which admittedly isn't that much, or just being excited about something you learned and want to talk about it. I don't have to "think about it", I already thought about it a long time ago, and so have most people around here. I know it sounds exciting but it isn't really all that complicated to get the general idea.

Also no, you're incorrect about the second part of your post. There is a difference in me bumping the thread or someone posting twitter advertisements. I am, and everyone else in this thread, is interested in GOG. He is, you could say, explicitly subscribed to the subject matter. A random dude on your twitter list isn't.

hey. hey guy. read my post. the post that talks about advertising? that post. read it, guy.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Holy poo poo, Journeyman 2! And it even works better than my original boxed copy (which worked just spiffy, it just didn't change resolution so I had to squint to see the game). I hope Journeyman 1 & 2 go up eventually, I'd love to get some digital copies of them.

I'm such a big Journeyman fan that I even brought an old Mac to play Pegasus Prime; the remake of Journeyman 1, after my Mac emulator stopped working after upgrading to Windows 7.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Swamp Zero posted:

Glug became a fan of this post.

I vomit a little bit in my mouth whenever someone does anything on a social network. It's great for the kids who are born with massive ADD these days I guess. Outside of that I think it's better as a marketing tool than anything useful to individuals. So I get the whole 'you're marketing for them' thing, but I guess if you don't give two shits about social networks, you're not really hitting any audience.. and if you do, you probably are inundated with these kinds of retarded things daily and tune them out like anyone else does radio or tv ads if they want to.

One the one hand, like in the case of my twitter account that is never looked at and has friend requests from spammers piling up.. they are hitting NO audience. On the other hand, this is some nearly no-cost advertising.

To continue to digress, I seriously loving hate Facebook, and especially 'groups'.

Bob became a fan of the group 'Groups are Stupid', and maybe you should too.
Ok. Now I'm a fan.
Ok. Now what?
Nothing. Now you are a fan, and everyone who looks at your wall should be one too.

It's like an infectious disease.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Jinnigan posted:

If you think you're at all exempt or uninfluenced by advertising then you are completely unaware of the way advertising works. But that's about the norm, since that's the whole goal of modern advertising.

http://www.historyisaweapon.com/defcon1/bernprop.html
I hate to contribute to a thread derail, but this headline on arstechnica.com seemed derail-relevant: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/07/sony-responds-to-nintendos-3d-attacks.ars

"As Nintendo mocks Sony's 3D approach, Sony says the two firms should cooperate to make 3D commonplace. But their approaches are at odds: Nintendo wants to sell you a gaming system, while Sony wants to sell you a new living room."

It also seem true these days that there's a lot more interest in creating cute little marketplaces to sell virtual products, than actual products themselves, such that the stores themselves outweigh the importance of the product. The products are more like doorways that lead you into gift shops, like how Disneyland rides empty out into toy stores. Name a device, and you can bet it has a Tom Nook's in it, selling virtual crap.

And of course, both Sony and Nintendo are selling game 'living rooms,' the 3DS is just another one you'll be carrying around with you.

That said, I don't really care, I just want some good games I haven't had a chance to play yet, and GOG delivers. I'm a whore. I'm over it.

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

doctorfrog posted:

I hate to contribute to a thread derail, but this headline on arstechnica.com seemed derail-relevant: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/07/sony-responds-to-nintendos-3d-attacks.ars

"As Nintendo mocks Sony's 3D approach, Sony says the two firms should cooperate to make 3D commonplace. But their approaches are at odds: Nintendo wants to sell you a gaming system, while Sony wants to sell you a new living room."

It also seem true these days that there's a lot more interest in creating cute little marketplaces to sell virtual products, than actual products themselves, such that the stores themselves outweigh the importance of the product. The products are more like doorways that lead you into gift shops, like how Disneyland rides empty out into toy stores. Name a device, and you can bet it has a Tom Nook's in it, selling virtual crap.

And of course, both Sony and Nintendo are selling game 'living rooms,' the 3DS is just another one you'll be carrying around with you.

That said, I don't really care, I just want some good games I haven't had a chance to play yet, and GOG delivers. I'm a whore. I'm over it.

This book more or less covers everything that's being argued here:
http://www.amazon.com/Free-Future-Radical-Chris-Anderson/dp/1401322905

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

glug posted:

Lionheart's devs more or less had the first area created, and then they ran out of money and frantically created a bunch of lame dungeons and rushed the game out the door. So no, it sucks.

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

Periodiko posted:

Lionheart's devs more or less had the first area created, and then they ran out of money and frantically created a bunch of lame dungeons and rushed the game out the door. So no, it sucks.

That really described the overall level of work done in Interplay's later years. The most unbelievable is the one interview Retronauts got with someone who was part of the Star Trek game they were working on right before the whole company collapsed.

CaudaVenenus
Sep 17, 2004

Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you.

SixOhSix posted:

That really described the overall level of work done in Interplay's later years. The most unbelievable is the one interview Retronauts got with someone who was part of the Star Trek game they were working on right before the whole company collapsed.

Why did they collapse by the way ? They had some decent licenses, what was/were the games that put them under ?

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

CaudaVenenus posted:

Why did they collapse by the way ? They had some decent licenses, what was/were the games that put them under ?

Well, the licenses of course were expensive. But the thing that really killed them was the management. They had a multitude of different houses staffed in pretty much one facility, and the communication was awful. They'd deal with tight deadlines and really backwards methods of working on the technology. For the one Star Trek game I mentioned, they have a ton of motion capture, but for the greenscreen they just painted a loving office wall green, and unevenly at that. So needless to say when they went to drop out the screen, there was a bunch of junk still in the recordings, and so they had to allocate a ton of staff to go in and edit the video frame by frame to fix it.

This was the Retronauts podcast that talked about some of the downfall of Interplay: http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/podcast.the1upnetwork.com/flat/Retronauts/R091709.mp3

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

SixOhSix posted:

And now half a decade later, the same guy who ran the company into the ground is still milking the license portfolio for cash every time someone buys Lionheart or Freespace from GOG, and announcing new non-existent games yearly to avoid losing licenses like the Fallout MMO one.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Veotax posted:

I'm such a big Journeyman fan that I even brought an old Mac to play Pegasus Prime; the remake of Journeyman 1, after my Mac emulator stopped working after upgrading to Windows 7.

I only ever played the original Journeyman (and I loved it). How was Pegasus Prime?

I'm gonna go buy J2.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

tentaclesex posted:

I only ever played the original Journeyman (and I loved it). How was Pegasus Prime?

I'm gonna go buy J2.

Very nice; I like it more than the original game, personally. Massive improvement in the graphics (obviously) and the view area of the game (the window in the interface you see the game environment through) is much bigger than Journeyman 1 and 2. Also there are more puzzles and the game is generally larger (it takes a few minutes to complete the opening Pre-Historic time zone, as opposed to the seconds in the original).

The game was targeted at consoles however (even though I think that only the Apple Pipin version came out, it was also targeted for release on the Saturn and PlayStation), so it suffers from an early case of consolitus. Nothing major though, mainly you have to use the keyboard to navigate the interface, although you still use the mouse to interact with the world.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Veotax posted:

Very nice; I like it more than the original game, personally.

Cool, I'll have to find a way to play it at some point.

Loving Journeyman 2 so far. There's some awesome bad acting, and Gage has his own action figure!

:whatup:

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Jinnigan posted:

hey. hey guy. read my post. the post that talks about advertising? that post. read it, guy.

I'm not reading it unless you put it on a shirt.

I'd totally wear a GOG shirt, free games or not.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

AxeManiac posted:

I'm not reading it unless you put it on a shirt.

I'd totally wear a GOG shirt, free games or not.

i don't know why it's so hard to access from the front page (i had to google it) but they totally have a merch store with shirts and mousepads and poo poo: click

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
OMG you guys stop saying G*G you're just giving those corporate schills free advertising!!! Now I have to go to my freshman level "Radical Communism in a Post-Modern World" seminar!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

Overwined posted:

OMG you guys stop saying G*G you're just giving those corporate schills free advertising!!! Now I have to go to my freshman level "Radical Communism in a Post-Modern World" seminar!!

Make sure you get the one with the blue Che Guevara silhouette for the most up-to-date counter-reactions to 2010 capitalism fads.

EDIT: Man the dark fitted tee with the vertical logo actually looks pretty cool.

SixOhSix fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 1, 2010