Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maligo
Aug 10, 2006

She said she was 18
I've actually been working on a NES emulator on and off for a few months (video). And after my first weekend working on it, it was looking like this:

Getting the basic cpu and graphic output working really doesn't take too long but when you start trying to emulate 100s of little undocumented behaviors which all games make use of to varying degrees, it starts to get pretty time consuming. And even now every once in a while the NES community will discover some new feature that no one knew the hardware was using that is only used in maybe 1 game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

HOO-DAH!!! Fatal Wiimote blow to the face, 20 points!
Another one of the iPhone apps I'm working on. This one is the official app for the New England Patriots 2010 season.

No iPhone 4 high-res support yet unfortunately (due to some of the libraries we are using that haven't been compiled for iOS 4.0 yet). It's a neat little app if you are a Pats fan. All the news content is directly aggregated from their main site, so it's not a bunch of neglected mobile-specific crap.

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis

Dr. Glasscock posted:

No iPhone 4 high-res support yet unfortunately (due to some of the libraries we are using that haven't been compiled for iOS 4.0 yet). It's a neat little app if you are a Pats fan. All the news content is directly aggregated from their main site, so it's not a bunch of neglected mobile-specific crap.

Is it true that in Handegg games (sorry, I refuse to call it "Football") that players and the ball are tracked using various technologies so their positionduring the game are continuously recorded? I've heard people speak of it, but don't know for sure.

I was wondering if maybe you could write an app that takes that data, and renders a 3D scene of the game on the iPhone so people can see how a match went (or is going, if the data is available live) without needing to burn through their data plan downloading actual video.

...just an idea. What do you think?

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe

Automatic updater for goodreads based from the XML data on ereaders (currently just my sony prs-600). Two of the books up there are the result of not having proper metadata about the books and goodreads kinda taking it's best guess as to what they are. Two of them are just evidence that my reading choices as of late have been total poo poo.

Oh and I can finally talk about what I have been doing for work.

This:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzBUIsX_gZk

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

antpocas
Jun 30, 2004

IF THIS POST ISN'T ABOUT GLORIOUS SALAZAR YOU MUST BE READING IT WRONG

Roflex posted:

...Vuvuzela Hero?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

antpocas posted:

...Vuvuzela Hero?

Honk Honk Revolution

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

Hammerite posted:

Honk Honk Revolution

BZZZZZ BZZZZZZ REV-BZZZZZ-OLU-BZZZZZZ-TIO-BZZZZZZZ-N

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

Hoborg posted:

Is it true that in Handegg games (sorry, I refuse to call it "Football") that players and the ball are tracked using various technologies so their positionduring the game are continuously recorded? I've heard people speak of it, but don't know for sure.

I was wondering if maybe you could write an app that takes that data, and renders a 3D scene of the game on the iPhone so people can see how a match went (or is going, if the data is available live) without needing to burn through their data plan downloading actual video.

I have no idea. The NFL does have people who input play-by-play of everything that happens into a system which can real-time aggregate the data to other sources. That's what powers stuff like those Flash apps where you see a football field that updates with arrows and poo poo as each play happens (Yahoo Sports Football and other stuff use this I think).

A 2D or 3D abstract rendering of the game (you aren't going something that looks like Madden) is entirely possible with just this feed, it contains lots of information. I don't believe the feed is public however.

EDIT: poo poo, meant to put this in my other post, my bad.

Contains Acetone
Aug 22, 2004
DROP IN ANY US MAILBOX, POST PAID BY SECUR-A-KEY

Contains Acetone fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 24, 2020

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pzVWdK1rAU

e: I guess there's a demo to download or something too if you'd like.

Xerol fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 1, 2010

TheSpook
Aug 21, 2007
Spooky!

Make sure to click YouTube's vuvuzela button for added vuvuzelas.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Been working on this for a while, but just launched the other week. http://merge.fm

Github for music.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Pardot posted:

Been working on this for a while, but just launched the other week. http://merge.fm

Github for music.

This is a very cool idea and it looks great, nice work!

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

antpocas posted:

...Vuvuzela Hero?
I think the best way to do Vuvuzela Hero would be trying to stop 6 Vuvuzelas from playing instead of making them play.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I'm actually making a full game, the idea being that you have to cheer on your world cup team to the finals. How well you play has no bearing on whether you win or lose; if you lose, you just pick another team and bzzzz on. Spoiled since I kind of want it to be a surprise to some people.

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis

OneEightHundred posted:

I think the best way to do Vuvuzela Hero would be trying to stop 6 Vuvuzelas from playing instead of making them play.

A game where you play a hidden sniper sneaking about on the TV camera gantries on the roof of the stadium, you will be paid a large sum by FIFA to eliminate each person in the 60,000-strong live audience caught playing a Vuvuzela.

The justification for back-story of the game hinges on the fact FIFA is opposed to introducing technology to the game (such as in this case, adding a simple anti-300kHz filter) and prefers to rely on the frailty of human agents, in this case: you.

Part of the challenge is spotting the difference between a bright orange vuvuzela and the bright orange beer industry whores.

...and since the scenes involve billions of polygons for each spectator and high-qualtiy scenery means you might get at most 0.001FPS making it even more challenging, and hence, fun to play!

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Roflex posted:

I'm actually making a full game, the idea being that you have to cheer on your world cup team to the finals. How well you play has no bearing on whether you win or lose; if you lose, you just pick another team and bzzzz on. Spoiled since I kind of want it to be a surprise to some people.

Just fyi, the scroll speed in your video is way too slow. Faster is almost always better in this sort of thing; twitch play is the best way to go.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Markov Chain Chomp posted:

Just fyi, the scroll speed in your video is way too slow. Faster is almost always better in this sort of thing; twitch play is the best way to go.

This is definitely what I thought when watching it. No one uses the slowdown speed mods in any music game.

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

Pardot posted:

Github for music.

ASP.NET MVC2?

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Yeah it was playing at 48bpm, I had it that low for testing. Still got some minor issues with timing detection at higher tempo (i.e. it's basically impossible to hit some notes), then I'm cleaning up the menus and finishing up with some graphical polish. Should have a full beta out this week.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

Hoborg posted:

There's a research project in the vision group at my university that is working towards something similar but with hockey instead.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

DLCinferno posted:

ASP.NET MVC2?

Rails and couchdb

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Pardot posted:

Github for music.

drat, that looks awesome and makes me wish I had equipment to record bass guitar

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Pardot posted:

Rails and couchdb

I'm really happy that we've gotten to a point where you can't tell what framework a website is built on any more.

Mike1o1
Sep 5, 2004
Tiluvas
I'm not nearly at the same level as a lot of you, but I've been trying to learn OpenGL, Cocoa and Objective-C, and have been working on creating a Collada model loader, with geometry and skeletal information loaded for iPhone.

So far, using TBXML, I can parse a Collada file and load and display geometry and load the skeleton and bone information. Still working on linking the skeletal information to the bind pose, and then will work on reading actual animation. Eventually I'd like to create a game or something out of this, but for now, just learning for fun/hobby. This is all done using OpenGL ES 1.1, but I might switch to ES 2.0 if I ever get a device that can support it.

For reference, loading a ~1 meg Collada XML file with 4500 polygons takes about 8 seconds on iPhone 3G. Or, about .006 seconds on my Macbook Pro. Model was taken from the Collada test model repository, but refined to use <Triangles> instead of <Polylists>

Click here for the full 1029x490 image.

dexter
Jun 24, 2003

Hoborg posted:

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/

MLB has been doing this for a few years now. They show every pitch along with its supposed trajectory and placement. Their stats (96.1mph, 13.5" break) are pretty precise but I have no idea how accurate they are. Especially with pitch speed since they don't specify if it's when the pitch leaves the pitcher's hand or crosses the strike zone. I remember seeing a job posting for MLBAM a while back for pitchfx operators; it seemed pretty automated from the description they gave about the system.

k-zed
Dec 1, 2008

Fallen Rib
Looks like in this thread the 3D stuff is the most popular, so here's mine :)

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

It's a Z-buffered software rendering engine with flat and gouraud shading (with one diffuse light), texture mapping, and frustum culling. The main gimmick is that it isn't a lib, but a standalone (SDL-based) program that reads drawing instructions from STDIN, and optionally dumps mouse/keyboard events, or rendered framebuffers, to STDOUT.

There is a description language (parsed with flex/bison) for defining geometry, using some usual basic solids, polygons, or used-defined objects. The scene can be changed between multiple frames (e.g. by changing the transformation matrix on defined objects to move them). This way any program that can write to STDOUT can generate fairly complicated 3D animations. Handy for visualizations, for example.

The program is called Projector, is utterly undocumented, and available from svn://repo.hu/projector.

Interactive 3D programs can be made by connecting Projector's STDIN/STDOUT to another program with two pipes. You can get Projector to report a position where a ray shot towards the mouse intersects a defined plane - here this is used by a 3K AWK script to display simple objects on a map, movable by the mouse:

A C program using ODE for bouncing lots of stuff off of each other, dumping the object positions and orientations (as quaternions) to Projector:

We used Projector in the Challenge 24 programming competition. The competing teams had to control three helicopters in a helicopter simulation (also done using ODE), and could view a real-time video stream from a "camera" on one of their helicopters. The video streams were served by xinetd, that ran a shell script that emitted a few HTTP headers, then called a pipeline something like:

netcat (from the simulation server) | AWK (for transforming simulation state to Projector instructions) | Projector | ffmpeg (for encoding into Flash video)

It looked like this:

One interesting tidbit: the terrain engine converted a 16384x16384 heightmap + texture to a bunch of gradient-shaded triangles in a quadtree. To make the block cutoff look nicer, a fog effect was needed. The Z buffer has the depths in floating point, and calculating the fog per pixel in the usual way was rather too slow. In the end, I found a way with direct floating point hackery - using the bits in the Z FP value with a bitmask and some shifts gives a pretty nice alpha (but this way the fog density/distance is not variable in runtime).

Sorry for the :words:

(edited for typos)

k-zed fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 11, 2010

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Here are some final screenshots of the Hacker News app I submitted recently.

Of course, this got rejected "because it is a web clipping. Applications that only display a web page do not provide sufficient functionality beyond what a user can experience by adding a site to their Home screen using Safari."

Death to Steve Jobs.

There is already a sufficient difference between this app and Safari that makes me want to use this app. How should I change this app so that it will pass review?

Mongolian Queef
May 6, 2004

shrughes posted:

How should I change this app so that it will pass review?

Add a fart/cowbell/vuvuzela button?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

shrughes posted:

There is already a sufficient difference between this app and Safari that makes me want to use this app. How should I change this app so that it will pass review?

Showing us pictures of what looks like a web page isn't helping us understand these differences.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

k-zed posted:

It's a Z-buffered software rendering engine with flat and gouraud shading [...] main gimmick is that it isn't a lib, but a standalone (SDL-based) program that reads drawing instructions from STDIN, and optionally dumps mouse/keyboard events, or rendered framebuffers, to STDOUT.

I have to say that's really interesting, neat, and clever. :golfclap:

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

shrughes posted:

Here are some final screenshots of the Hacker News app I submitted recently.

Of course, this got rejected "because it is a web clipping. Applications that only display a web page do not provide sufficient functionality beyond what a user can experience by adding a site to their Home screen using Safari."

Death to Steve Jobs.

Just parse this: http://news.ycombinator.com/rss and then create use a UITableView to display each listing, then when the user taps on the listing in the table view, load the web page it points to, or, better yet, load the page that the user linked, and have a toolbar that has a "comments" button, if the user taps that it'll load the comments as well. Basically, just take the web data and display it in UIKit elements.

Parantumaton
Jan 29, 2009

The OnLy ThInG
i LoVe MoRe
ThAn ChUgGiNg SeMeN
iS gEtTiNg PaId To Be A
sOcIaL MeDiA sHiLl
FoR mIcRoSoFt
AnD nOkIa

shrughes posted:

How should I change this app so that it will pass review?

Animations and gradients.

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

shrughes posted:

New phone without a walled garden. :)

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

shrughes posted:

HN works fine on mobile safari, why does every webpage need an iphone app? (not to mention there are already two unnecessary HN apps on the app store)

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

fletcher posted:

HN works fine on mobile safari, why does every webpage need an iphone app? (not to mention there are already two unnecessary HN apps on the app store)

It doesn't for me -- the font is too small, the buttons are too hard to press, it's too easy to accidentally upvote somebody and I like being able to skip through comments I've already read.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
I've been writing a visual shader editor for Unity 3. The shader system in unity is really nice but to hard for the average artist to use so I'm writing a system to make it easier. It outputs unity shaders that can be compiled and run ect.

I'm most happy with the validation systems I built into the graph (it's self validating so you can't write a bad shader), and the preview tools that let you see the shader without leaving the editor (the unity editor api's not easily allow this and it took me quite a bit of time fighting to get it working properly).

Here is a simple shader that does additive blending from two textures.

There is still quite a bit of work to go but it should be pretty ace when done. I've validated that this kind of thing can work in unity, so now it's just grunt work to get it done.

LOLLERZ
Dec 9, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT SPAMMING THE REPORT FORUM TO PROTECT ~MY WIFE'S~ OKCUPID PERSONALS ANALYSIS SA-MART THREAD. DO IT. ALL THE TIME. CONSTANTLY. IF SHE DOESN'T HAVE THE THREAD, SHE'LL WANT TO TALK TO ME!
That's really awesome. Also, I'm really impressed with your UI concept of validating so it's impossible to make a valid shader. I know it takes a lot of extra coding for small UI stuff like that, but it's so worth it when someone else has to use the app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parantumaton
Jan 29, 2009

The OnLy ThInG
i LoVe MoRe
ThAn ChUgGiNg SeMeN
iS gEtTiNg PaId To Be A
sOcIaL MeDiA sHiLl
FoR mIcRoSoFt
AnD nOkIa
Strumpy: Looks cool, although all your operations are flipped horizontally - every graphics program that uses nodes for content manipulation/creation (no matter the exact type or field of appliance) has inputs on the left and outputs on the right. But I'd assume that's not a big thing and maybe you can even add a toggle for it in settings or something.