Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Xir posted:

YASD

code:
Your inventory
  Amulets
  o - an uncursed amulet of life saving

:laugh:

Yeah, this happens to me in roguelikes all the time. There's always something I could have done that I either overlooked or forgot about. Nethack has enough bad amulets that it's usually not a good idea to put them on unless you know what they are though, so I don't blame you. Plus even the good ones make you hungrier I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
Tell me I'm not insane. Tell me that the names of unidentified scrolls change from game to game, so there's no 1:1 correlation between the name of the unidentified scroll and what the scroll does.

Right?

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Xir posted:

Tell me I'm not insane. Tell me that the names of unidentified scrolls change from game to game, so there's no 1:1 correlation between the name of the unidentified scroll and what the scroll does.

Right?

Right. It's randomized at the beginning of every game.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Third Murderer posted:

Plus even the good ones make you hungrier I think.

It's 1 nutrition per 20 turns. It's not enough to worry about unless you're extremely low on food or going for a conduct.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Xir posted:

Right?

Scrolls, Potions, Amulets, Rings, Boots, Gloves, Cloaks, Helmets, Wands are all randomized when the game begins, with a few exceptions that keep their description throughout different games.

Darth l33t
Jul 6, 2000

Xir posted:

YASD
What you SHOULD have done is fed the cat one of your food items, like the fortune cookie. That's guaranteed to tame or pacify it, depending on whether it likes the food or not.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I've gotten in the habit of carrying around lichen corpses for the sole purpose of taming ponies or horses that might cause trouble. For the top of Soko or other zoos I'll throw a Tripe ration at a d or f just to give the mob something else to worry about for a while.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Lichen corpses will also make dogs or cats peaceful, with the added advantage that they don't eat them so you can just pick it back up and repeat. Also can be eaten in a pinch without making you feel nauseous like tripe. Well worth keeping one on hand in the early game.

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

I PLAYED BATTLETOADS AND ALL I GOT WAS A RASH IN MY ASS
No amulets auto curse when worn, so once you've determined it's uncursed, it's relatively safe to put on (assuming you're not aiming for polyselfless). Just be sure to lock your self in a room and remove your armour first.

You'll know within 50 turns if it was one of the bad ones (strangulation, changing, restful sleep). You'll usually identify ESP pretty quickly. Otherwise, just wear it until it's effect becomes apparent, or you want to try another one.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

Argon_Sloth posted:

No amulets auto curse when worn, so once you've determined it's uncursed, it's relatively safe to put on (assuming you're not aiming for polyselfless). Just be sure to lock your self in a room and remove your armour first.

You'll know within 50 turns if it was one of the bad ones (strangulation, changing, restful sleep). You'll usually identify ESP pretty quickly. Otherwise, just wear it until it's effect becomes apparent, or you want to try another one.

I know that at least on one occasion I've died only to be saved by the un-IDed amulet I'm wearing.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

..btt posted:

Lichen corpses will also make dogs or cats peaceful, with the added advantage that they don't eat them so you can just pick it back up and repeat. Also can be eaten in a pinch without making you feel nauseous like tripe. Well worth keeping one on hand in the early game.

Note: for beginners, this is a massive understatement. Lichens should be hoarded and treasured, along with any other substantial food you find that won't spoil. ..btt is speaking from the perspective of someone who's good enough at avoiding starvation that he doesn't need to think about it.

McNerd fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jul 8, 2010

Darth l33t
Jul 6, 2000

Argon_Sloth posted:

No amulets auto curse when worn, so once you've determined it's uncursed, it's relatively safe to put on (assuming you're not aiming for polyselfless).
If you're talking about the amulet of change, that doesn't break polyselfless for some reason.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
A good way to determine if an amulet is reflection is to melee a floating eye. If it's reflection, you'll get "The floating eye's gaze is reflected by your amulet!"

I actually did this in the priest I just ascended. But I had a really good feeling that it was reflection.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

JawnV6 posted:

A good way to determine if an amulet is reflection is to melee a floating eye. If it's reflection, you'll get "The floating eye's gaze is reflected by your amulet!"

I actually did this in the priest I just ascended. But I had a really good feeling that it was reflection.

Good way to identify life saving too, as far as that goes...

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I love this game and it's a treat to read or watch other people on telnet from time to time.

I can't remember at all, what's the difference between naming and calling an item? If naming is just for one thing can it be helpful in IDing or is it more for posterity like a pair of spectacles named "Cool Shades"?

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Heran Bago posted:

I can't remember at all, what's the difference between naming and calling an item? If naming is just for one thing can it be helpful in IDing or is it more for posterity like a pair of spectacles named "Cool Shades"?

Like you say, naming is just for one item while "calling" applies a label to all items of the same type. Calling is the one that's typically useful in IDing. Naming is mostly for posterity like you say, except a couple tricks such as naming an elven dagger "Sting" and naming the Amulet of Yendor "THE REAL loving AMULET drat IT" to distinguish it from fakes

Lyric
Dec 16, 2008
I only ever get wands of death on my starting wizards when I'm attempting pacifist.

Obscure Risk
Feb 23, 2009

TASed losers
Cya dopes

Lyric posted:

I only ever get wands of death on my starting wizards when I'm attempting pacifist.

Seems entirely fitting, don't you think?

Aafter
Apr 14, 2009

A is for After.
Sheesh. So, the links for The Kins tileset are dead. After some epic googling, I have found it.

http://bilious.homelinux.org/~paxed/nethack/nhsshot/tileset/kins32-nh343.png

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'
The link works fine for me. And the first hit on google brought me to a website hosting it too.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
God. I just bought it with a possibly game winning Monk. Not vegan, but no weapons wielded. I carelessly took on the Angel in the secret room in the back of medusa's island. Long story short, my speed boots got demolished in a one shot. I was frustrated, went across to go back up to find another pair I had seen lying around. Killed by an Olog-Hai. Obscenities rained down. On to a new game.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Monks can be a bit of a pain like that. They get pretty decent unarmed damage in the late game, but can still hit for one damage. Couple that with the tendancy to have a higher AC, and not being very fast gets incredibly dangerous. Out of interest, did you have MC3? If so, it's rather unlucky to get your boots vaporized in the first place. Either way, you probably should have carried the spare pair. Boots aren't that heavy, and are definitely an essential for a monk :)

Girl Drink Drunk
Jan 2, 2007

"Well it's really quite simple Russ. You simply take twelve large strawberries chopped, three ounces of dark rum and a..."
:woop: I'm number 4 on a list in NAO :woop:

http://alt.org/nethack/egregiousdeaths.html

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Girl Drink Drunk posted:

:woop: I'm number 4 on a list in NAO :woop:

http://alt.org/nethack/egregiousdeaths.html

How the hell did a samurai reduce you to -500 HP?

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'
He was wielding Vorpy probably.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Mr Right posted:

He was wielding Vorpy probably.

if you read the death log he was

code:
  Helge the invisible Ryoshu swings his long sword named Vorpal Blade.
  Vorpal Blade beheads you!
  You die...

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Yep. Looking at the dumplog:
You miss Helge the invisible Ryoshu.
Helge the invisible Ryoshu swings his long sword named Vorpal Blade.
Vorpal Blade beheads you!
You die...

The way Vorpal Blade (and the Samurai quest artifact) work (for beheading or bisecting) is they do twice your max hp in damage. (Edit: twice plus 200 points, apparently, in case someone has an artifact where they only take half physical damage.)

zonohedron fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 16, 2010

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

zonohedron posted:

The way Vorpal Blade (and the Samurai quest artifact) work (for beheading or bisecting) is they do twice your max hp in damage. (Edit: twice plus 200 points, apparently, in case someone has an artifact where they only take half physical damage.)

Huh. How strange, I'd have thought it would just be death.

Zetetica
Jan 22, 2010

McNerd posted:

Huh. How strange, I'd have thought it would just be death.

-500 hp sounds like death to me.

Aafter
Apr 14, 2009

A is for After.

Mr Right posted:

The link works fine for me. And the first hit on google brought me to a website hosting it too.

Oh snap diddle. It does work. Well, it wasn't working for me last night.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

That link sounds far more interesting than it is, if all it is is "A list of players with high HP killed by Vorpal Blade."

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

sfwarlock posted:

That link sounds far more interesting than it is, if all it is is "A list of players with high HP killed by Vorpal Blade."

By far the most common would be getting bisected by the Tsurigi on the samurai quest. That's how I got my spot at #60!

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Yeah, but how do you get to -9989 HP when your max is 198?

Girl Drink Drunk
Jan 2, 2007

"Well it's really quite simple Russ. You simply take twelve large strawberries chopped, three ounces of dark rum and a..."
I was curious about that too, but I noticed that Clueless' record was set in 2002. Maybe a previous version of Nethack handled the damage differently. (no idea when the most recent version of Nethack was released)

Unrelated images that were amusing to me, courtesy of a friendly mind flayer:

Click here for the full 659x411 image.

Click here for the full 658x410 image.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

..btt posted:

Monks can be a bit of a pain like that. They get pretty decent unarmed damage in the late game, but can still hit for one damage. Couple that with the tendancy to have a higher AC, and not being very fast gets incredibly dangerous. Out of interest, did you have MC3? If so, it's rather unlucky to get your boots vaporized in the first place. Either way, you probably should have carried the spare pair. Boots aren't that heavy, and are definitely an essential for a monk :)

I had a set of silver dragon scale mail from reverse genocide because I had a cloak of displacement and was hoping to make it through the quest to get the magic resistance from Eyes of the Overworld. I was only lvl 13, though, so I couldn't wear the mail and reliably hit so I was still in a +4 hawaiian shirt and cloak of displacement. Just bad luck, I guess. Careless, because nothing else got vaporized, but it was enough to get me killed.

BARON BONGHITS
Jul 20, 2005

ahahaha tyeaa smoke weed lick a nigga fartjohnson chet etc blablab dmx guns are strong WOOF WOOF mameshibaaa~
Some of the deaths farther down the list are pretty good too
code:
Latest messages
  The Angel of Moloch hits!
  The Angel of Moloch misses.
  The Angel of Moloch casts a spell at you!
  You are hit by a shower of missiles!
  The missiles bounce off!
  "Run away!  Live to flee another day!"
  The priestess of Moloch hits!
  The priestess of Moloch kicks!
  You hit the Angel of Moloch.
  You kill the Angel of Moloch!
  The soldier ant misses.
  The soldier ant misses.
  Vorpal Blade decapitates you!
  You die...
  But wait...
  Your medallion feels warm!
  You feel much better!
  The medallion crumbles to dust!
  Vorpal Blade decapitates you!
  You die...

Farvel Illing the Valkyrie...
:xd:

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

BARON BONGHITS posted:

Some of the deaths farther down the list are pretty good too

So not funny. I had this happen 3 times in the samurai quest. 2 amulets of life saving. Bisected three times. I was pissed.

Cholfo
Sep 16, 2007

synertia posted:

So not funny. I had this happen 3 times in the samurai quest. 2 amulets of life saving. Bisected three times. I was pissed.

If you're actually trying to melee the Samurai quest boss, you're probably doing something wrong. I don't even bother with the quest as a samurai until I've found a wand of sleep or death, unless none generate by Castle.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Usually you can find a few wands of death on the quest itself. If you have reflection, you can safely look around and gather up the zillions of attack wands that the other samurai get generated with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Cholfo posted:

If you're actually trying to melee the Samurai quest boss, you're probably doing something wrong. I don't even bother with the quest as a samurai until I've found a wand of sleep or death, unless none generate by Castle.

And even so, the Castle and Valley of the Dead really aren't that hard for tough fighters like Samurai, if you already have a decent weapon (Excalibur is more than sufficient). After that, you can probably afford to wish up a wand of death if necessary, or even go down and kill Orcus if you don't mind backtracking through a big chunk of Gehennom. The Tsurugi is pretty cool but anyone who's capable of getting to the Castle can probably survive without it for however long is necessary.

With that said, if I had two amulets of life saving, I'd probably just have gone in swinging too.

McNerd fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 17, 2010

• Locked thread