Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Intel just posted their best quarter ever!

quote:

SANTA CLARA, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Intel Corporation today reported second-quarter revenue of $10.8 billion, up 34 percent year-over-year. The company reported operating income of $4.0 billion, net income of $2.9 billion and EPS of 51 cents.

“Strong demand from corporate customers for our most advanced microprocessors helped Intel achieve the best quarter in the company's 42-year history,” said Paul Otellini, Intel president and CEO. “Our process technology lead plus compelling architectural designs increasingly differentiate Intel-based products in the marketplace. The PC and server segments are healthy and the demand for leading-edge technology will continue to increase for the foreseeable future.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
Hopefully that's a good sign for PC sales in general. I just bought some nvda at 10.30, and would be more than willing to get out with another quick boost.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

MrBigglesworth posted:

Intel just posted their best quarter ever!
That will help with the Dow tomorrow but I'm hesistant to get too long ahead of JPM's earnings Thursday morning...or should I get taking a bet?

imabmf
Mar 10, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

That will help with the Dow tomorrow but I'm hesistant to get too long ahead of JPM's earnings Thursday morning...or should I get taking a bet?

JPM (and Goldman Sachs) have been swimming in profits. And people have been adding to their savings with regularity. I am not a trader, but I do own a financial ETF and I loaded up on it the last few weeks in June.

Negativefx7
May 29, 2006

I wont help you move but i will lend you $20

Dr. Jackal posted:

anyone else see F just shoot through the roof?

Yes I did, I also saw it bounce off of 11.80 just like some goon in here said it would.

Great call all around.

Tasty and Delicious
Jun 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I almost got excited about NVDA's new PR but then I remembered they're PR department is far more skilled and consistent than their chip designers. I might miss out on a play but I'd rather be safe. They're like 40% off their April highs, jeez.

Gonna try to catch a late ride on the INTC train tomorrow.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

I WANT TO EAT BABBY posted:

1080 should provide resistance, at least short-term. Doesn't mean that we don't coast higher through the summer doldrums. If you're sketched on your current position then take profits; you'll make bad decisions if it dives and all you can think is "I KNEW IT!" If it keeps going higher, c'est la vie, you still made money. Depending on your position size you can also just take off a portion or write calls against it.

I'm gonna kiss you

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"
Something just occurred to me: Chiquita Brands recently won a WTO lawsuit against Europe that their current tariff system was unfair, and assuming the Europeans play ball, they will cut the tariff down to a more reasonable size by 2017. Assuming Chiquita can maintain its current sales volume in Europe, this will save them about $60 million.

Taking out taxes and capitalizing at 10x results in roughly $400 million, which would be worth about $200 million today. Knocking that off the market cap, Chiquita Brands itself is selling for less than $400 million, which works out to a P/E ratio of about 4.

I'm excited.

Tasty and Delicious
Jun 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Janin posted:

Anybody have thoughts on the current rally? I don't think it's going much higher, but am interested in more experienced opinions. Specifically, I'm thinking about exiting my NLY position -- it's looking awfully peak-y to my untrained eye.

Hope you got out in time!

Tasty and Delicious
Jun 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Waiting on confirmation...

Tasty and Delicious fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 14, 2010

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

Tasty and Delicious posted:

Hope you got out in time!
see

Janin posted:

I'm gonna kiss you

Tasty and Delicious
Jun 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Whoops, I thought maybe you were just really close or something

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

Nah I sold it off yesterday due to his post, logged in this morning to see the news :laffo:

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

I'm cranky most of the time.

Waiting on confirmation...

I'm not entirely certain what you're showing here, but TA on leveraged inverse index ETFs is pretty pointless.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
I wish I would have thrown at least $5,000 at NFLX a few months ago. I would have sold by now.

edit - did anyone make it in on this?

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
A few months ago? How bout in 2002.

Tasty and Delicious
Jun 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
There's a million ways we could all be rich if we knew the future.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Like Forever stamps :clint:

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'

Plastic Jesus posted:

I'm not entirely certain what you're showing here, but TA on leveraged inverse index ETFs is pretty pointless.

Me either. Maybe he meant this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tasty and Delicious
Jun 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
To clarify I'm looking to short if the s&p breaks below 1080, maybe a little less, sorry about the wonk chart.

abagofcheetos posted:

Like Forever stamps :clint:

I got a whole garage full of forever stamps, gonna be a brazillionaire!

Tasty and Delicious fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 15, 2010

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

eightysixed posted:

I wish I would have thrown at least $5,000 at NFLX a few months ago. I would have sold by now.

edit - did anyone make it in on this?

yes, I rode in at 98 (like march?) then rode out at 115, then rode back in at 116 and took the ride up to 125, down to 109 and back to 122.

it was with 5k.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Apple is holding a special event tomorrow at 10am PDT. They've got to address the antenna issue, so the question is, do we dump our holdings beforehand because the solution will cost a lot of money, or will people finally be happy that they've presented a solution to the debacle?

edit: vvv RF isn't my specialty but I do have a BS and MS in electrical engineering and my (somewhat) educated opinion is that the issue is way, way overblown. That said, the market is often...erratic, and you often can't reason with people, and that's what I'm afraid of.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jul 15, 2010

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

I'm cranky most of the time.

Josh Lyman posted:

Apple is holding a special event tomorrow at 10am PDT. They've got to address the antenna issue, so the question is, do we dump our holdings beforehand because the solution will cost a lot of money, or will people finally be happy that they've presented a solution to the debacle?

I like this article on the topic. It's basically an image issue not a technical issue. I foresee little to no cost on Apple's part to unfuck the situation; they may have to exchange a small number of phones but there won't be a wide recall.

Hard to say in which direction the market will react, but I doubt it will be a very large move either way.

NeverWolf
Jan 5, 2005
There's someone in my head, but it's not me

Plastic Jesus posted:

I like this article on the topic. It's basically an image issue not a technical issue. I foresee little to no cost on Apple's part to unfuck the situation; they may have to exchange a small number of phones but there won't be a wide recall.

Hard to say in which direction the market will react, but I doubt it will be a very large move either way.

I'm going to wait and see what happens when the markets open today. I may sell off and try to keep a few dollars before rebuying in. I'm fairly confident that no matter what happens tomorrow, Apple will be taking a hit. Big or small, it doesn't matter. I'm just trying to keep my money.

Unless they come out and completely forget about this reception issue and instead announce that they're going to Verizon, I think the stock is going to fall at least a little.

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Plastic Jesus posted:

Yeah, unless you're talking about a day trade type of thing, news from Apple events rarely moves the stock more than a percent or two. All of that is already built into the stock before the announcement. There's more uncertainty here of course since no one really knows what they're going to talk about, but unless they issue a recall I don't see it reacting much (and even with a recall it'd probably just bounce back a few days later).

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

what the hell just happened to BP/RIG?

Tasty and Delicious
Jun 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Oil cap is working? Dunno. GS is settling though! Glad I didn't try shorting S&P, things are looking crazy.

E: Goddamn it's like a wall on the charts

Tasty and Delicious fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 15, 2010

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Janin posted:

what the hell just happened to BP/RIG?

Market is retarded and thinks because the oil just stopped that the leak is fixed.

antishatter
Feb 25, 2006
jawsome with a j

greasyhands posted:

Market is retarded and thinks because the oil just stopped that the leak is fixed.

If this stops it, I guess it isn't 100,000 psi like some people had speculated. There was fear that it would be impossible to stop aka bankruptcy. This stop (until it blows open again) showed that it is possible and now they have to work on drilling the other wells to suck the oil out. If this new stop doesn't fail, bp's liability is limited to what is in the ocean at this second and that could theoretically be around the 20 bill they have already been charged by the U.S. Government, meaning there is a fair chance we fully understand the fiscal responsibility facing BP. With an unlimited amount of oil being spilled comes an unlimited fiscal responsibility. Why would the news that the cap has been successfully installed not boomerang there stocks to some extent? If you had known the cap would work before hand, would you have bought the stock? I would have. It isn't a stupid market, you are just mad you didn't own 100k shares that you picked up at a discount. :D

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Oil cap is working? Dunno. GS is settling though! Glad I didn't try shorting S&P, things are looking crazy.

E: Goddamn it's like a wall on the charts
I went long FAS once the S&P bounced off 1080 :smug:.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Having a good laugh at VVUS right now, I'll never understand why people hold through these things. Planning to move some money into MELA and ARNA once things settle down.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

greasyhands posted:

we all knew the market was going to be retarded when oil was stopped due to this test.

The better question is did anyone buy before the announcement and make 5% in 5 minutes?

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

antishatter posted:

If this stops it, I guess it isn't 100,000 psi like some people had speculated. There was fear that it would be impossible to stop aka bankruptcy. This stop (until it blows open again) showed that it is possible and now they have to work on drilling the other wells to suck the oil out. If this new stop doesn't fail, bp's liability is limited to what is in the ocean at this second and that could theoretically be around the 20 bill they have already been charged by the U.S. Government, meaning there is a fair chance we fully understand the fiscal responsibility facing BP. With an unlimited amount of oil being spilled comes an unlimited fiscal responsibility. Why would the news that the cap has been successfully installed not boomerang there stocks to some extent? If you had known the cap would work before hand, would you have bought the stock? I would have. It isn't a stupid market, you are just mad you didn't own 100k shares that you picked up at a discount. :D

Everyone expected the cap to work at first, the test is over the next couple of days whether or not the pressure builds up enough (indicating it isnt leaking out elsewhere, which is a very real possibility) and whether or not the cap holds if pressure does build up. I'm not mad because I was busy writing GOOG calls while this was going on.., Anyways, it's a decent first step and I don't mind the stock popping a little (though it is definitely premature,and BP are clearly trying to manage expectations) my problem is with how many people seem to think the leak is over now. Also, the purpose of the relief wells isn't to suck the oil out its to perform a bottom kill and seal the well.

Tthis is a decent article about how far from the solution yesterday was - http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38273995/ns/disaster_in_the_gulf/

Tasty and Delicious
Jun 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Dr. Jackal posted:

we all knew the market was going to be retarded when oil was stopped due to this test.

The better question is did anyone buy before the announcement and make 5% in 5 minutes?

I bought GS halfway up and even with today's losses I'm still making 30% on options.

Stupid gamble though, gotta remember not to get caught up in the moment again.

Tasty and Delicious
Jun 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

greasyhands posted:

GOOG calls

For August I hope!

loud-bob
Feb 11, 2004

AHHHHHHHH

For August I hope!

Can you explain this a little better? What is happening in August? Just curious because GOOG has been stuck in the mid-400s for a while. Are they ever going to get back near 600?

Tasty and Delicious
Jun 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
E misread.

Tasty and Delicious fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 16, 2010

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

For August I hope!

Writing calls... as in bearish...

Tasty and Delicious
Jun 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Im a big dummy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

antishatter
Feb 25, 2006
jawsome with a j

greasyhands posted:

Writing calls... as in bearish...

drat, you must have a shitload of money in your brokerage account if you can write calls and puts. Are you naked or do you own shares?