Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funkcroquet
Nov 29, 2004

cheap sunglasses posted:

Shostakovich's String Quartet No. 8 maybe?

Ya, I think Shostakovich in general is maybe the right call with some caveats, namely that it's tough to recommend the Shostakovich symphonies to people who don't necessarily want to spend the effort required to dig through the ironies and doublespeak in them. I don't know a lot about Prokofiev compared to my familiarity with Shostakovich though. Following Prokofiev back would lead you to Rimsky-Korsakov and Scriabin, and digging into Shostakovich would point you back toward Bruckner and Mahler. There's also some killer bombasty stormy Myaskovsky syms and I can't remember which ones they are.

Other symphonies: Britten, Robert Simpson, Karl Amadeus Hartmann, Schnittke. Think these would all apply, broadly.

funkcroquet fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jul 14, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

EAT DOG TODAYYYY posted:

In addition, what are some core rap albums that self-proclaimed rap fans should sit down and listen to? I don't really know what I'm missing out on as far as classics go.

Classic rap albums:
Erik B and Rakim - Paid In Full
Boogie Down Productions (BDP) - Criminal Minded
Public Enemy - It Takes A Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back
KRS-One - Return of the Boom Bap
Wu-Tang Clan - Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
Gang Starr - Step In the Arena
Big L - Lifestylez Ov Da Poor & Dangerous
Nas - Illmatic
Notorious B.I.G - Ready To Die
Black Star - Mos Def and Talib Kweli Are...

I mean, there are so many missing from that list it's not even funny. I have kind of ignored the West Coast and The South for many years now, so if someone wants to recommend the essential West Coast and Southern rap records to this EAT DOG and I, it would be much appreciated.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

so I've been listening to a lot of electronic music, and these are my favorite artists so far:

Air
Aphex Twin
Basement Jaxx
Benny Benassi
Dimitri From Paris
Dj Krush
Giorgio Moroder
Kruder and Dorfmeister
Metro Area
The Prodigy
Tricky

I guess I'm looking for more fun/catchy electronic music, I tried some weirder stuff like The Orb and Oval but I don't like it too much. It seems like the artists I like are all over the place and some of them might not even be electronic so I don't know.

any recommendations?

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

EAT DOG TODAYYYY posted:

I've gotten into rap fairly recently. My first foray was MF Doom, whom I liked a lot, and I'm just starting to listen to the Wu-Tang albums. So far I've liked what I've heard from the first two albums of theirs. I also liked Method Man's Tical a whole lot.

Some other artists I've stumbled into and liked are A Tribe Called Quest, Saul Williams (other than most of Niggy Tardust), People Under the Stairs, One Be Lo, Cannibal Ox and the Pharcyde.

Do you guys know of anything I might like?

In addition, what are some core rap albums that self-proclaimed rap fans should sit down and listen to? I don't really know what I'm missing out on as far as classics go.

My three favorite hip hop albums of all time are these, so I recommend them.

Aesop Rock - None Shall Pass
Dead Prez - Let's Get Free
Dead Prez - Revolutionary But Gangster

baberaham lincoln posted:

Classic rap albums:
Erik B and Rakim - Paid In Full
Boogie Down Productions (BDP) - Criminal Minded
Public Enemy - It Takes A Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back
KRS-One - Return of the Boom Bap
Wu-Tang Clan - Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
Gang Starr - Step In the Arena
Big L - Lifestylez Ov Da Poor & Dangerous
Nas - Illmatic
Notorious B.I.G - Ready To Die
Black Star - Mos Def and Talib Kweli Are...

In addition to this guys list:

Eric B & Rakim - Follow The Leader - The title track being the best hip hop song I have ever heard.
Public Enemy - Fear Of A Black Planet

Now for my own question.

I want some new thrash metal, I have plenty from the 80s and 90s, but I want some recent stuff that has been coming out. My favorites are Death Angel, Kreator and Anthrax.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

trans fat posted:

I already told you this but you're apparently deaf.

I couldn't hear you over everyone else talking! And I'm familiar with Mansell already, wasn't really what I was thinking.

slowdave posted:

I'm sure you've heard The Planets by Holst but Mars, the Bringer of War is an epic classic.

Already have the Planets, but sure.

Reichstag posted:

I'm not the best person to answer, but do you want something that has the bombast of that piece (Wagner, maybe some Mendelssohn), or things that are 'darker' thematically (for example, Rachmaminoff's Isle of the Dead)?

Yeah, I want something bombast yet somewhat "dark" (I'm not sure how best to describe the feel of the piece otherwise). Dunno if Wagner would be the best comparison.

Thank you for suggestions everyone, going to give them a look.

trans fat
Jul 29, 2007

EAT DOG TODAYYYY posted:

Every album between and including Enter the Wu-Tang and Wu-Tang Forever. This includes;
GZA - Liquid Swords
Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx...
Method Man - Tical
Ghostface Killah - Ironman
Ol' Dirty Bastard - Return to the 36 Chambers: The Dirty Version

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

baberaham lincoln posted:

so if someone wants to recommend the essential West Coast and Southern rap records to this EAT DOG and I, it would be much appreciated.

Straight Outta Compton, The Chronic, Doggystyle and All Eyez on Me would be some obvious West Coast classics.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

EAT DOG TODAYYYY posted:

I've gotten into rap fairly recently. My first foray was MF Doom, whom I liked a lot, and I'm just starting to listen to the Wu-Tang albums. So far I've liked what I've heard from the first two albums of theirs. I also liked Method Man's Tical a whole lot.

Some other artists I've stumbled into and liked are A Tribe Called Quest, Saul Williams (other than most of Niggy Tardust), People Under the Stairs, One Be Lo, Cannibal Ox and the Pharcyde.

Check out Nas' Illmatic before you do anything!

And, I don't like it so much, but Mos Def and Talib Kweli's Black Star is a classic.

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose

mistermojo posted:

so I've been listening to a lot of electronic music, and these are my favorite artists so far:

Air
Aphex Twin
Basement Jaxx
Benny Benassi
Dimitri From Paris
Dj Krush
Giorgio Moroder
Kruder and Dorfmeister
Metro Area
The Prodigy
Tricky

I guess I'm looking for more fun/catchy electronic music, I tried some weirder stuff like The Orb and Oval but I don't like it too much. It seems like the artists I like are all over the place and some of them might not even be electronic so I don't know.

any recommendations?

Some (totally across the board, though fun, electronic) albums you might enjoy are:

Black Moth Super Rainbow - Dandelion Gum
Daft Punk - Homework
múm - Yesterday Was Dramatic - Today Is OK - remixed song from this album
Lemon Jelly - Lost Horizons - 'Ramblin' Man'
Röyksopp - Melody A.M.
Zero 7 - Simple Things
A1 Bassline - Girl Thing - 'My Baby'
St-Germain - Tourist
Venetian Snares - Rossz csillag alatt született - 'Öngyilkos Vasárnap'

and my favorite
Various Artists - Rarewerks

All of those rock, hopefully you'll find one to enjoy...

edit: oh yes, Moth & Wolf Cub is a sweet little album, too.

Smoove J fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 15, 2010

Little Treasure
Jan 28, 2010

mistermojo posted:

Air
Aphex Twin
Basement Jaxx
Benny Benassi
Dimitri From Paris
Dj Krush
Giorgio Moroder
Kruder and Dorfmeister
Metro Area
The Prodigy
Tricky

any recommendations?

Squarepusher is a lot like Aphex Twin. And speaking of Aphex Twin, any of his monikers: AFX, Caustic Window, GAK, etc are worth checking out.
Tycho can be compared to Air, in some respects.
I strongly encourage you to check out Dan Deacon. Seriously.

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

EAT DOG TODAYYYY posted:

I don't really know much about hip-hop, but I was in the same position as you and I really liked these newer songs and their respective albums.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zs68F4Ruc0 Thavius Beck (Think he produced one of Saul Williams' albums)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFHZa-VPXN0 Immortal Technique
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXgM9T4mFbQ dälek, dark hip hop, really really good stuff

as for classic albums, I'd say listen to some gil scott-heron, maybe company flow. stuff like that

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

mistermojo posted:

Air
Aphex Twin
Basement Jaxx
Benny Benassi
Dimitri From Paris
Dj Krush
Giorgio Moroder
Kruder and Dorfmeister
Metro Area
The Prodigy
Tricky

any recommendations?

Try Pendulum, Errors, and The Knife.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

mistermojo posted:

Air
Aphex Twin
Basement Jaxx
Benny Benassi
Dimitri From Paris
Dj Krush
Giorgio Moroder
Kruder and Dorfmeister
Metro Area
The Prodigy
Tricky

any recommendations?

Go here: http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose

EAT DOG TODAYYYY posted:

Huge artists (some RnB, mostly hip hop, missing 99.999% of them, but it's a starting point along with the ones above me):

Notorious B.I.G. (Notorious Thugs ft Bone Thugs N Harmony)
Outkast (ATLiens)
R Kelly (Ignition (remix))
Wyclef Jean (Gone Til November)
Aaliyah (Are You That Somebody? ft Timbaland)
Tempa T (RBX)
D Double E (Bad To the Bone)
Snoop (Lodi Dodi) (Hennesey N Buddah)
Dr Dre (Nuthin' but a "G" Thang) <-- best ever, in my opinion. I looooove gfunk, though.
Ginuwine (Pony) <-- just kidding, THIS is the best hip hop/rnb song

edit: new finds of mine are:
Lil Wayne (Mrs Officer)
Jason Derulo (Hit Me With a Text ft Mann, or vice versa I dunno) <-- dumb, but loving catchy!
Drake (Best I Ever Had)
Soulja Boy Tell Em (Turn My Swag On)
Young Money (Bed Rock (remix))

Smoove J fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jul 15, 2010

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I'm looking for some jazz. I love jazz. I listen to it a lot on the local jazz station. However, I have absolutely no idea what artists to look for.

The type of jazz I like... well... it's that kind that gives you that Sunday morning brunch feeling. The slow kind where the percussion is just a slow tap on the cymbal, with the bass man walking along the bass, and a piano just soloing forever. If anyone knows of any jazz groups or artists like that, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

the posted:

I'm looking for some jazz. I love jazz. I listen to it a lot on the local jazz station. However, I have absolutely no idea what artists to look for.

The type of jazz I like... well... it's that kind that gives you that Sunday morning brunch feeling. The slow kind where the percussion is just a slow tap on the cymbal, with the bass man walking along the bass, and a piano just soloing forever. If anyone knows of any jazz groups or artists like that, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Uhh... Your description is pretty hilarious, but accurate I guess. Listen to Thelonious Monk & Bill Evans.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

the posted:

You're looking for Miles Davis' Kind of Blue.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

fozzie dunlop posted:

You're looking for Miles Davis' Kind of Blue.

This is exactly what I was talking about. Thanks!

the fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jul 15, 2010

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
Sorry if this has been mentioned or if this isn't the right thread, but... have there been any fusions of reggae and death metal? Listening to people like XACKSECKS (lol obscure electronic musics), who sample reggae and some growls extensively, gave me the idea.

I guess that's a pretty stupid idea, but...

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Cobweb Heart posted:

Sorry if this has been mentioned or if this isn't the right thread, but... have there been any fusions of reggae and death metal? Listening to people like XACKSECKS (lol obscure electronic musics), who sample reggae and some growls extensively, gave me the idea.

I guess that's a pretty stupid idea, but...

it's not death metal and reggae but you have heard of Bad Brains' 'I against I' right?

qrj
Jun 9, 2010

Big fan of Harry Pussy, even bigger fan of Bill Orcutt's solo stuff.

Anything similar to either of those.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

kapalama posted:

it's not death metal and reggae but you have heard of Bad Brains' 'I against I' right?

I've heard a bit of Bad Brains. They're pretty neat, but not really as BRUTAL as what I was imagining.

Yomtom
Aug 9, 2005

Sup?
I recently listened to the Shatter soundtrack made by Module and loved it. I've been looking for more but haven't found much that's similar, and I'm a bit lost since I don't listen to much electronic stuff.

Tried some from mistermojo's list and the electronic music guide but haven't really stumbled onto anything similar that grabs me so far.

Looking for music similar to this, preferred without vocals.

Homelands
Aurora
Kinetic Harvest

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Yomtom posted:

I recently listened to the Shatter soundtrack made by Module and loved it. I've been looking for more but haven't found much that's similar, and I'm a bit lost since I don't listen to much electronic stuff.

Tried some from mistermojo's list and the electronic music guide but haven't really stumbled onto anything similar that grabs me so far.

Homelands
Aurora
Kinetic Harvest

Try listening to the Cliqhop station on http://somafm.com/

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose

Yomtom posted:

Homelands
Aurora
Kinetic Harvest

Lackluster - Container may apply, here's a sample: Starcell U.K. (not sure about the video, but the song is correct)

Some Boards of Canada may apply, Roygbiv & Triangles & Rhombuses in particular (and Julie & Candy, because it rules)

Smoove J fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 15, 2010

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I hate to be nitpicky on genres, but deathcore and metalcore as electronic music? Seriously?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Cobweb Heart posted:

I hate to be nitpicky on genres, but deathcore and metalcore as electronic music? Seriously?

The whole guide is kind of a joke, poking fun at electronic music, but for the most part it's pretty accurate.

Yomtom
Aug 9, 2005

Sup?
Thank for the suggestions guys, been finding a few more good ones now :)

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
^Digitally Imported just started a channel called "Chiptunes," which I think is right down your alley.

http://www.di.fm/chiptunes/

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.
So a friend gave me a copy of Dan Deacon's Acorn Master and I keep going back to this CD. I've since heard Bromst and Meetle Mice by Mr. Deacon (I don't know if its the whole first exposure thing or not, but Acorn Master is by far my favorite), but I'm curious what other artists might I like in this vein. I am ignorant as poo poo about electronic music beyond some old 80s/90's poo poo (kraftwerk, devo if you would put them under electronic, chemical bros, prodigy, daft punk etc) and have no idea where to start, or what ridiculous subgenre he would fall under.

To clarify, I really like the whole clusterfuck/drone sound he has going on with a lot of those tracks and would like to know more artists that sound like that. Help me gunes!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I recently discovered Gorilla Biscuits "Start Today". What other hardcore records have a similar sound?

qrj
Jun 9, 2010

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I recently discovered Gorilla Biscuits "Start Today". What other hardcore records have a similar sound?
All of them.

They literally all sound the same, consist of the same subject matter, have the same song structure. This will probably be the easiest musical quest you have ever endured.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positive_hardcore

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

qrj posted:

All of them.

They literally all sound the same, consist of the same subject matter, have the same song structure. This will probably be the easiest musical quest you have ever endured.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positive_hardcore

Look pal, I'm not a huge fan of funk music, but I don't go making GBS threads allover the genre when someone asks for funk recommendations. Few, if any, of the bands listed on that page sound like Start Today. Did you even bother reading the heaping pile of poo poo you linked to? Additionally, your claim that all hardcore bands, "literally all sound the same, consist of the same subject matter, have the same song structure" is testament to your lack of knowledge about the genre.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

One of the unique things about Start Today is that it contains a poppy sound that wasn't replicated by many of their contemporaries. It's what makes GB one of the most accessible and influential bands in both hardcore and punk music. I think that 7Seconds 'The Crew' is probably something you'll enjoy. It was released 6ish years before Start Today, and contains a hard yet poppy sound that is similar to the one heard on Start Today. You might also enjoy Insted's 'The Bonds of Friendship' and Mouthpiece's 'Face Tomorrow'.

You should also check out Gorilla Biscuit's first EP. It's a little rougher and harder than 'Start Today', and closer to their '88 contemporaries. If you like that, dive headfirst into Youth Crew with Youth Today's 'Breakdown The Walls', Judge's 'What It Meant: The Complete Discography', and Chain of Strength's 'The One Thing That Still Holds True'.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
7 Seconds are great! Thanks. Their version of 99 Luftballons was kind of surreal and I really enjoyed a bunch of the tracks I tried.

Little Treasure
Jan 28, 2010
I have two Frank Zappa albums: Apostrophe and The Grand Wazoo. I would like to get into more of his stuff, but his incredibly large body of work has me baffled. Going off of the two albums I have, what do you recommend I listen to next?

e: I am a doofus for getting the "Identify" and "Recommendation" threads mixed up, sorry.

Little Treasure fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jul 19, 2010

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Little Treasure posted:

I have two Frank Zappa albums: Apostrophe and The Grand Wazoo. I would like to get into more of his stuff, but his incredibly large body of work has me baffled. Going off of the two albums I have, what do you recommend I listen to next?

If anyone can help me identify the song from my first post, that would be awesome too!

Hey, fellow Zappa fan! I agree that his discography is intimidating, but Apostrophe is a great album for getting your feet wet in the pool of Zappaness. You should follow it up with the album that came out the year between Grand Wazoo and Apostrophe, 1973's Over-Nite Sensation. Like Apostrophe, it is very poppy and accessible, with some of Zappa's best-known songs.

After that, I'd skip to 1979 for two of my favorite albums of his, Sheik Yerbouti (also loaded with raunchy humor and pop-rock hits) and Joe's Garage, a rock opera/concept album that everyone ought to hear at least once.

Finally, 1978's Studio Tan also has the bizarre, cartoonish-sounding 20-minute epic "The Adventures of Greggery Peccary," which is just too much fun. Zappa has a long and illustrious career, but most of my favorite albums came out of the '70s, and luckily you already have a foothold in that era.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I would like to find more stuff that sounds like Emancipator.

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx
Apr 30, 2010

by Ozma
I'm looking for more stuff like this that combines hard rock guitar and drums with brassy big band lines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAFXayH1bpY

SMP
May 5, 2009

I've only passively listened to metal (except when I was in 6th grade :rolleyes:), but I've been binging through Metalocalypse and wondering where I should start with bands similar to Dethklok?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Octopus
Jun 27, 2005

Me IRL
Can anybody recommend some more stuff like Remain in Light (Talking Heads)? I'm really digging the dancier stuff on the earlier part of the album and I don't know where else to look for rock/African polyrhythm combinations.

E: I already have and enjoy Discipline