Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quarterly Prophet
Nov 9, 2005

by angerbeet

Boo This Man posted:

Also, if at basic training, they demand to see your civilian medical records, do you have to allow them? Or can you say no and let them threaten you with empty threats?

What MOS or rate are you going? How much effort do you think they're going to expend going to see if you lied about your asthma?

If you aren't doing something that requires a TS, they aren't going to get anything besides what you bring to Basic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Boo This Man posted:

Also, if at basic training, they demand to see your civilian medical records, do you have to allow them? Or can you say no and let them threaten you with empty threats?

By the time you get to basic that ship has already sailed. You did a full physical at MEPS, signed something saying you swear that you've told them the whole truth about your medical history, and authorized them to go look at your past medical history.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

Transgendered Squirrel posted:

There is no real ballpark for E7 in the Army. Its completely out of hour hands and alost nonsensical sometimes. Also, the Army is not hurting to ranks of any kind right now, so each E7 board is coming out with smaller and smaller lists. Only the most competitive people are getting promoted. At least in 11B.

This.

Also if there was an average it would probably be over 10 years.

m3talh3ad
Jan 28, 2005

Quarterly Prophet posted:

There are probably only 2 or 3 reasons to ever go enlisted over officer if you have a degree, and the only one I can think of is that you couldn't go officer because you weren't selected for OCS (which is fair, having sheepskin does not equal automatic officer).

I'm currently in the process of doing all the application stuff for OSC for the USMC. My GPA is a not so stellar 2.35, and the dudes there told me I should probably start looking at doing some community service to make my app seem a little more competitive (as well as smashing the gently caress out of the PFT).
Can any of you give me some ideas of what kind of community service would look good for this? Or would anything I can get documented work?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

3rdEyeDeuteranopia posted:

This.

Also if there was an average it would probably be over 10 years.

I've seen everywhere from 6 (high-speed motherfuckers with tons of auxiliary duties and usually a tour as a DS or recruiter) to 18 (ie, whew, just made it)

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Hagetaka posted:

I've seen everywhere from 6 (high-speed motherfuckers with tons of auxiliary duties and usually a tour as a DS or recruiter) to 18 (ie, whew, just made it)

You also have to figure a great deal of luck into that, as most people don't pick an MOS and ask their recruiter "So what are the points looking like for E5?" You can be high speed as gently caress and if you're an E4 and the points for 5 are 798 you ain't goin' nowhere, jack.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Yeah, that is a tremendous factor, especially now with the automatic promotion to E-5 depending on MOS. If you pop into a critical shortage MOS (especially one that is likely to stay that way) you can skyrocket to E-6 and from then on the game begins.

The NBC guy for our attached unit came to Iraq as an E-4. He left as an E-6 a year later. 350 points for E-5, 450 points for E-6.

Ben Richards
Mar 24, 2010

What MOS or rate are you going? How much effort do you think they're going to expend going to see if you lied about your asthma?

If you aren't doing something that requires a TS, they aren't going to get anything besides what you bring to Basic.

There is no national database. You would have to tell them the doctor and hospital you went to on specific dates. Most hospitals and doctors keep records for 5 years unless it was a surgery. Surgeries are usually documented for 8 years. If you do not make a copy of your medical records yourself at the time of the visit, chances are they won't exist when you actually need them.

It's all shock and awe to scare you.

MaineMan
Jan 10, 2006
Can anyone shed some light on federal credit unions? Anyone use them and know if they have good benefits compared to a normal bank (mortgage rates, interest rates for savings accts, etc.)?

Jiro Kage
Aug 6, 2003

PICKLE SURPRISE!
VRA/VEOA - Am I eligible? Trying to get info from OPM is loving insane.

I served active from 1999-2004, and while I know I qualify for VEOA and I'm a 5-point preference eligible, does it qualify for VRA special appointment? The rules state:

OPM posted:

Veterans who served on active duty in the Armed Forces during a war, or in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge has been authorized;

Now OEF and OIF started during that timeframe, but they were congressional authorized and not a formally dictated war - do they fall under the above criteria?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

MaakHatt posted:

Can anyone shed some light on federal credit unions? Anyone use them and know if they have good benefits compared to a normal bank (mortgage rates, interest rates for savings accts, etc.)?
First off, banks suck rear end. Even bad credit unions are better than good banks.

Navy Federal Credit Union is OK-to-good depending on what you need. They're not necessarily the BEST rates out there, but they're pretty good and certainly beat any bank hands-down. I financed my mortgage through them, as well as the equity loans that financed my addition. I found their car rates to be rather high, though; they advertised good rates, but won't actually GIVE you those low rates. I couldn't even figure out why, as no amount of lying about my credit rating or other things about the car on their online form would return the low rates they advertised on their front page. I ended up financing my through my other (non-federal) credit union instead which had a slightly higher advertised rate but actually GAVE me that rate without any hassle when I submitted the loan paperwork.

Their debit card is a bit finicky; not all places will accept it. You have to carry separate Navy FCU debit and check cards.

OverseasQueue
May 26, 2008
Can you be restricted to post for being flagged?

e: and what the hell does this mean?

"Soldiers not meeting body fat standards after 1 year from date of entry into the Active Army will be entered in the AWCP and flagged under the
provisions of AR 600–8–2 by the unit commander. Enrollment in a weight control program starts on the day that the
Soldier is informed by the unit commander that he/she has been entered in a weight control program. The weight
reduction counseling may be accomplished prior to or shortly after entry into a program."

It can't be what I think it is so I would rather somebody much smarter than me decipher this.

OverseasQueue fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 16, 2010

Conscript
Dec 28, 2004
Internet sleuth
Tell me the problem with pain pills in the services? Im under the impression a % of the service is loaded on opiates all day. How hard is it to enlist and then to get military doctors to perscribe you pain killers?

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Regicide posted:

Can you be restricted to post for being flagged?

e: and what the hell does this mean?

"Soldiers not meeting body fat standards after 1 year from date of entry into the Active Army will be entered in the AWCP and flagged under the
provisions of AR 600–8–2 by the unit commander. Enrollment in a weight control program starts on the day that the
Soldier is informed by the unit commander that he/she has been entered in a weight control program. The weight
reduction counseling may be accomplished prior to or shortly after entry into a program."

It can't be what I think it is so I would rather somebody much smarter than me decipher this.

I'm not sure about that specifically, but by my understanding if you ever fail your pt or go over on the body fat measurements you are ineligible for promotion or reenlistment until you fix your poo poo.

m3talh3ad
Jan 28, 2005
Okay with the very real possibility of not making it into OCS because of my shitball grades, is it possible for me to still enlist later? Or am I hosed forever from military service

Delicious Yams
Feb 10, 2010

by T. Finn

Conscript posted:

Tell me the problem with pain pills in the services? Im under the impression a % of the service is loaded on opiates all day. How hard is it to enlist and then to get military doctors to perscribe you pain killers?

No one I know in the military (not on -super- profile gently caress) is on any sort of painkiller*.

*exception: NSAIDs. Those are candy.

Delicious Yams fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 16, 2010

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Conscript posted:

Tell me the problem with pain pills in the services? Im under the impression a % of the service is loaded on opiates all day.
Your impression is wrong

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
There are X% of people in the military on pain killers on any given day, they are just not on duty and doing military things. There's a reason we have medical/recuperation leave.

Quarterly Prophet
Nov 9, 2005

by angerbeet

Conscript posted:

Good luck getting opiates, most of the people I know who ever complain about pain are given a bunch of Motrin and told to gently caress off.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

Good luck getting opiates, most of the people I know who ever complain about pain are given a bunch of Motrin and told to gently caress off.

Not always. I have herniated discs and sciatica, and I told the doc I had occasional trouble sleeping due to the pain. He wrote me a one-month scrip for 90 Percocets along with 60 Flexeril and 90 Motrin. I really didn't expect to get so much medicine.

Of course, that's from a clinic at a TRADOC post and not the PA at a line unit aid station.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

GreenMeat posted:

Not always. I have herniated discs and sciatica, and I told the doc I had occasional trouble sleeping due to the pain. He wrote me a one-month scrip for 90 Percocets along with 60 Flexeril and 90 Motrin. I really didn't expect to get so much medicine.

Jesus. who'd you have to blow for that?

I'll second QP's point, and say that Motrin is pretty much the best thing you'll probably get for a non-urgent injury. We used to carry massive bags of it with us on patrols, and hand them out like candy for any aches/pains/sprains etc.

It's tough to be prescribed any sort of opiate in the military. They really keep that stuff on a short leash.

claptrap
Sep 30, 2008

Just wondering if anyone knows where to find a picture of female head gear for the US Army Class A uniform prior to adoption of the Beret as standard head gear

They didnt wear a oval office cap right? the one with the bill

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

claptrap posted:

Just wondering if anyone knows where to find a picture of female head gear for the US Army Class A uniform prior to adoption of the Beret as standard head gear

They didnt wear a oval office cap right? the one with the bill

I dunno, but if they did, I bet they didn't call it that

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Flagged means no favorable actions. No promotions, no awards, no schools. Some commands even add that no passes can be given.

claptrap
Sep 30, 2008

Slippery posted:

I dunno, but if they did, I bet they didn't call it that

GARRISON CAPS

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant
They didn't wear the oval office caps. They had a black service cap with a brass army logo. For the life of me, I can't find a picture or a version of AR 670-1 that's old enough to portray the headgear. Did a GIS but all I found was this:

claptrap
Sep 30, 2008

GreenMeat posted:

They didn't wear the oval office caps. They had a black service cap with a brass army logo. For the life of me, I can't find a picture or a version of AR 670-1 that's old enough to portray the headgear. Did a GIS but all I found was this:

Yeah I can't find one either. I can't remember the offical name for it I guess.

All those chicks are barracks dykes fyi

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

claptrap posted:

Yeah I can't find one either. I can't remember the offical name for it I guess.

All those chicks are barracks dykes fyi

Dude that's from a Jessica Simpson movie and in closing you are dumb

OverseasQueue
May 26, 2008

Hagetaka posted:

Flagged means no favorable actions. No promotions, no awards, no schools. Some commands even add that no passes can be given.

My command does no passes, but can they restrict me to post say on a regular work day? If I just wanted to go out the gate for one reason or another. Do I have any sort of protection from that?

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

Regicide posted:

My command does no passes, but can they restrict me to post say on a regular work day? If I just wanted to go out the gate for one reason or another. Do I have any sort of protection from that?

Nope. Your CO can revoke your pass privileges and effectively confine you to base.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Regicide posted:

Yeah but I mean unless the Navy is just like that, they don't usually restrict officers to post...I mean I've never heard of it unless say like post 9/11 when the base was on lockdown. But I can't imagine you'd ever be restricted as an officer unless you do something pretty wrong...

OverseasQueue
May 26, 2008

GreenMeat posted:

Nope. Your CO can revoke your pass privileges and effectively confine you to base.

See I'm trying to find some regulation to back me because of a friend of mine who recently ETS was flagged for either PT failure, or being overweight. He went to JAG apparently and they said that it was a big no-no and our company got in trouble. That was an entirely different chain of command though so it could have "slipped" their minds. I heard my first line supervisor the other day trying to tell a soldier who was also flagged that he was restricted to base.

Is going to JAG as simple as just walking in and asking to talk to somebody?

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Regicide posted:

See I'm trying to find some regulation to back me because of a friend of mine who recently ETS was flagged for either PT failure, or being overweight. He went to JAG apparently and they said that it was a big no-no and our company got in trouble. That was an entirely different chain of command though so it could have "slipped" their minds. I heard my first line supervisor the other day trying to tell a soldier who was also flagged that he was restricted to base.

Don't you have the right to "request mast" in the army? i.e. You have the right to speak to your boss's boss and so on up the chain until you feel you're problem is resolved. Backdooring your command will not engender yourself to them. Especially if you're whining over the fact that you're fat or whatever.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Regicide posted:

Oh well I got no idea about being flagged, I just didn't think they'd ever do it to officers.

Anyway, yes, talking to the JAG is that easy, you just maybe make an appointment or else just walk in. Although wouldn't you want the ADC?

OverseasQueue
May 26, 2008

Veins McGee posted:

Don't you have the right to "request mast" in the army? i.e. You have the right to speak to your boss's boss and so on up the chain until you feel you're problem is resolved. Backdooring your command will not engender yourself to them. Especially if you're whining over the fact that you're fat or whatever.

Yes, I do but if they ever come down on for going off post I want to have something to back me up... hell, my company commander has given me a ride off post when he saw me waiting at the bus stop. It's just my first line supervisor that I am worried about. If that's the rules and most NCO's and officers just look the other way? OK. But then there's that one NCO, on that one bad day that flips his poo poo... ya know?

Slippery posted:

Oh well I got no idea about being flagged, I just didn't think they'd ever do it to officers.

Anyway, yes, talking to the JAG is that easy, you just maybe make an appointment or else just walk in. Although wouldn't you want the ADC?

Analog to digital converter? I don't know what ADC is?

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Regicide posted:

Yes, I do but if they ever come down on for going off post I want to have something to back me up... hell, my company commander has given me a ride off post when he saw me waiting at the bus stop. It's just my first line supervisor that I am worried about. If that's the rules and most NCO's and officers just look the other way? OK. But then there's that one NCO, on that one bad day that flips his poo poo... ya know?

Are you talking about coming down on YOU? Seriously does the Navy restrict officers to post? If so, ahahaha.

quote:

Analog to digital converter? I don't know what ADC is?

Sorry, Area Defense Counsel, I guess the Navy calls it something different -- the JAG folks that are on the defense, that is, YOUR side. The ones who defend you if you are accused of something (while the JAG prosecutes you.)

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Regicide posted:

Then don't do the things that piss him off? Liberty or pass is a privilege not a right. Though, I'm pretty sure that NCOs do not have the right to restrict your liberty.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant
No, NCOs don't have that authority, at least in the Army:

AR 600-8-10 posted:

5–27. Rules to grant regular pass
a. A short, nonchargeable, authorized absence from post or place of duty during normal off duty hours is a regular pass. Non-duty periods of absence, other than the established or normal duty hours are considered as a pass period, to include official holidays (see table 5–1). For example, a regular pass might extend from Friday after duty until the beginning of duty on the following Tuesday.
b. The unit commander is the approval authority.
c. A soldier remains in an available-for-duty-status during normal off duty hours unless absence is authorized.

OverseasQueue
May 26, 2008

GreenMeat posted:

No, NCOs don't have that authority, at least in the Army:

So simply going off post for a bite to eat is considered a pass?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Slippery posted:

Are you talking about coming down on YOU? Seriously does the Navy restrict officers to post? If so, ahahaha.
I think you're confusing Regicide (Army E-1) with m0tbaille/Amanda Hugnkiss (Navy O-1). It's OK, happens all the time!

And no, Navy does not typically restrict officers to post; they're punished in other ways. Navy doesn't even have base housing anymore. What are they going to do, take your keys, hand you a cot and tell you that you can't go home for 30 days? Bit different onboard ship, but still.

Having to get a pass to walk off-base for lunch sounds hilarious. I know Army works different than Navy and Army are used to signing in and out everywhere, but man, I can't even imagine the shitstorm if Navy or Air Force tried to implement that! Navy's solution is a web-based system you're supposed to use if a hurricane or something hits so that your boss knows you're not dead (yet). Not that anyone will have power or internet in a hurricane, but hey, makes them feel better.

grover fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jul 17, 2010

• Locked thread