Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I love "Subject: Obama & Islam- Watch Before It Is Pulled" when its almost a year old. You'd think Obama's Secret Police would be on something like this.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jul 19, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Hahhahaha I love the idea that the White House has some sort of veto power on what videos end up on Fox News. Like yeah sure go ahead with a full 24 hour news cycle based on the actions of two black panther guys, hmmmm...what's this one? Glenn Beck claiming every other person in our admin is a secret jew banker and our policies are demonic...okay run that one. This picture of Obama checking out some ladies rear end, that's fine, a little thin maybe you guys could have a panel discuss it or something....WHOA WHOA WHOA what is this secret muslim poo poo. NOT ALLOWED.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

ApathyGifted posted:

Strangely, a properly constructed teepee would hold up well in both. A large stable base and a low CG means the earth shaking doesn't really do anything to it, and as it so happens cones produce downforce no matter what direction the wind comes from, so a hurricane would just anchor it into the ground better.

Of course, the operative phrase here is "properly constructed"

Teepees are not solid objects and are not going to behave in the manner you seem to think.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

ApathyGifted posted:

Strangely, a properly constructed teepee would hold up well in both. A large stable base and a low CG means the earth shaking doesn't really do anything to it, and as it so happens cones produce downforce no matter what direction the wind comes from, so a hurricane would just anchor it into the ground better.

Of course, the operative phrase here is "properly constructed"

The other operative phrase, in the case of a hurricane, is "torrential rain", which I think would be rough on a teepee (and the owner's possessions).

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
Well obviously in some weather-affected areas, leniencies will have to be made by the government to allow people to live in yurts.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

quote:

Not only London, Paris and Barcelona

This is in NYC on Madison Ave., not in France or the Middle East

FRIGHTENING SITUATION - OBAMA IS CHANGING THE FACE OF THE USA

Freedom to practice religion? Not my America.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

RagnarokAngel posted:

PRAYER IN PUBLIC SCHOOLS!

Okay, can my kid leave the room so he can go face mecca without disturbing the other-

NO ONLY TRUE PRAYER- CHRISTIAN PRAYER.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

RagnarokAngel posted:

FRIGHTENING SITUATION - OBAMA IS CHANGING THE FACE OF THE USA
It's true. You couldn't find a person who practiced Islam in NYC before he was president. It was all white people up until around Jan 2009.

UltraPenguinX
Mar 23, 2009

TC: hOnK hOnK iM a MoThErFuCkInG sEaL :o)

RagnarokAngel posted:

The worst part about this is the fact that there's no word or explanation whatsoever. The e-mail just screams "Look! Look! Muslims! Doing Muslim things! They're probably plotting the downfall of America RIGHT NOW by praying to their phony 'Allah'. Stupid Muslims, don't they know the only REAL god is Abraham's God?! And to top it all off, THEY'RE DIFFERENT FROM US!"

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Those are the laziest terrorists I've ever seen.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Those are actually some inspiring photographs that would make me proud of my country if it wasn't full of racist, islamophobic fundamentalist wackjobs.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Naet posted:

By praying in the public, they cause Christian nutjobs to explode. Sounds like terrorism!

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Naet posted:

Lying down on the job, as it were.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I forgot to mention I love the "this isn't France" part. Like France is so allowing of this or something. I guess those communist liberal cheese eating surrender monkeys would bend over for terrorists huh?!

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jul 21, 2010

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
It couldn't be France, because then they couldn't be legally wearing hijabs.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

the posted:

It couldn't be France, because then they couldn't be legally wearing hijabs.

I think the hijab is still allowed in public (just not in schools/government offices/etc.), it's just the burqu/niquab that's been banned. And I don't know if that will survive the country's constitutional checkers.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Come on. Everyone knows that they love Muslims in France.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Mornacale posted:

Come on. Everyone knows that they love Muslims in France.

All the way back to Charlemagne, that big Saracen lover. In fact, they loved their Muslims so much that they fought hard to keep Algeria as a part of the republic!

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Pfirti86 posted:

I think the hijab is still allowed in public (just not in schools/government offices/etc.), it's just the burqu/niquab that's been banned. And I don't know if that will survive the country's constitutional checkers.

Why wouldn't it? Laïcité, after all, is not as abstract as our separation of church and state. It's a "keep your religion the hell away from our government and public life :argh:" concept. Banning outfits like that is totally in keeping with that principle. It's not very appealing to Americans raised with the principle of government non-interference with religion and vice-versa, but it is what it is.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Nenonen posted:

All the way back to Charlemagne, that big Saracen lover. In fact, they loved their Muslims so much that they fought hard to keep Algeria as a part of the republic!

quote:

French 1st republic - brought down by Napoleon
French 2nd republic - brought down by Napoleon III
French 3rd republic - brought down by Hitler
French 4th republic - brought down by French love for Muslims
Meh, even written out like that I don't think it's dumb enough for a forward

Oryx and Friends
Nov 5, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump

Hardcore Phonography posted:

Here's one that probably hasn't been posted:

I got this from an aunt I haven't talked to in 9 years, completely out of the blue - I left in all the... flavor. I guess word gets around. My mother was Cherokee, she died in front of me when I was 5. All Jesus, no class.

Family reunion is gonna be mighty awkward.

Hahaha yikes!

e - Maybe she was drunk?

Oryx and Friends
Nov 5, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump

BagelMaster posted:

Background: I just received this from someone I went to high-school with. He constantly complains about the world and offers solutions for all the problems of the world. Enjoy, and feel free to respond to him if you'd like, because I will forward each and every response.

You can tell him that his world sounds pretty cool but I'm not sure why he's forwarding the setting of Avatar around.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

tek79 posted:

Don't know if it's been discussed here, but is there any sort of leftist/liberal equivalent to these emails?

Based on personal experience, I think conservatives have a monopoly on crazy e-mail chain letters. I have a lot of friends who are hard-core left wing nutjobs. But while they speak in person about the 9/11 Truthing and GW's deals with Satan, they hardly ever forward e-mails or make nutty postings on Facebook. Only my right-wing friends do that.

Latin American leftists, however, are the absolute kings of political conspiracy theories. My friends in Honduras and Nicaragua take a delight in forwarding Castro's and Chavez's latest fantasies. The US is set to invade Cuba; Colombia is set to invade Venezuela; Israel is set to invade Iran. Mexican migrants are being tortured in Guantanamo Bay; MS-18 and the Salvatruchas are freedom fighters in alliance with the Zapatistas; and the DEA is growing cocaine to enslave American blacks and fund right-wing Colombian death squads. Somehow Russia, China, and Iran are Latin America's best friends.

If you think reading right-wing American paranoid fantasies is ammusing, you should read up on the left-wing Latin paranoid fantasies. They're loving hilarious.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Uh. . . . Most of those are not fantasies.

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

Yup, the Grandpappy posted:

Takes a Brit to put into words what we should be saying.

Wow...this is good.

http://www.jihadwatch.org/2010/06/pat-condell-on-ground-zero-mosque-is-it-possible-to-be-astonished-but-not-surprised.html

Pat Condell is a British stand-up comedian, but this video isn't comic, it's pure truth, and utterly brilliant.

"AMERICA STANDS FOR FREEDOM AND TOLERANCE ISLAM DOES NOT THEREFORE NO MOSQUE AT GROUND ZERO WE WONT TOLERATE IT!!!!"

This Pat Condell guys needs his own show on Fox News. He's as much of a self-righteous piece of poo poo as any of their other pundits - with a British accent to boot.

Ruckby
Aug 25, 2009

Bagheera posted:

Based on personal experience, I think conservatives have a monopoly on crazy e-mail chain letters. I have a lot of friends who are hard-core left wing nutjobs. But while they speak in person about the 9/11 Truthing and GW's deals with Satan, they hardly ever forward e-mails or make nutty postings on Facebook. Only my right-wing friends do that.

Latin American leftists, however, are the absolute kings of political conspiracy theories. My friends in Honduras and Nicaragua take a delight in forwarding Castro's and Chavez's latest fantasies. The US is set to invade Cuba; Colombia is set to invade Venezuela; Israel is set to invade Iran. Mexican migrants are being tortured in Guantanamo Bay; MS-18 and the Salvatruchas are freedom fighters in alliance with the Zapatistas; and the DEA is growing cocaine to enslave American blacks and fund right-wing Colombian death squads. Somehow Russia, China, and Iran are Latin America's best friends.

If you think reading right-wing American paranoid fantasies is ammusing, you should read up on the left-wing Latin paranoid fantasies. They're loving hilarious.

Um, you do know that Regan funded right-wing death squads, right?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
My mother is getting a ton of stuff about petitioning American Jews to ask Orthodox rabbis in Israel to allow Reform marriages to be recognized. She hasn't passed anything on to me, thankfully, and keeps writing back to her relatives saying that it's none of her business because she doesn't give a poo poo about what happens in Israel. I respect the hell out of my mother for that. It's always nice to see someone stand up to people that constantly insist that whatever poo poo's going down in Israel is critically important to American Jewry somehow.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Ruckby posted:

Um, you do know that Regan funded right-wing death squads, right?

Yeah, and I know that my leftist Latino friends think that Obama's still doing it today.

Ruckby
Aug 25, 2009

Bagheera posted:

Yeah, and I know that my leftist Latino friends think that Obama's still doing it today.

How else can he fuel his raging cocaine addiction?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Bagheera posted:

He is ordering assassinations, even on American citizens, if I recall correctly.

Hardcore Phonography
Apr 28, 2004

I have my eye on a suite in Baker Street.

Slaan posted:

He is ordering assassinations, even on American citizens, if I recall correctly.

Just the white ones :smug:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Patter Song posted:

My mother is getting a ton of stuff about petitioning American Jews to ask Orthodox rabbis in Israel to allow Reform marriages to be recognized. She hasn't passed anything on to me, thankfully, and keeps writing back to her relatives saying that it's none of her business because she doesn't give a poo poo about what happens in Israel. I respect the hell out of my mother for that. It's always nice to see someone stand up to people that constantly insist that whatever poo poo's going down in Israel is critically important to American Jewry somehow.

Whether or not it affects you don't mean you don't have to care though? I think that's kind of an important thing for the progress of Israel.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mom posted:

I tried to phone you this morning but couldn't get a hold of
you.

How was white water rafting?! I'm eager to hear about it.

Oh, and something you probably didn't hear on the news was the new luxury
mall in Gaza!!

http://www.tomgrossmedia.com/mideastdispatches/archives/001127.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yOJQuLdmHI

Somewhere it said that the mall must have been built with sticks and glue
because, of course, Israel was not allowing any cement or building
supplies into Gaza. Gawd...selling luxury cosmetics to "starving" people.

Be sure to support a flotilla of humanitarian supplies to Gaza, because
you can see how much they're in need of basic supplies.

What's that, actual goods and services being offered to Palestinians? Guess they're pretty well off after all :smug:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I love the logic there. Someone in Gaza bought lipstick, therefore no one in Gaza is needy.

edit: Is there any evidence that that photo comes from Gaza at all? I don't remember women in Gaza favoring that particular style of dress.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 26, 2010

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

quote:

BIG BROTHER COMES TO WAL-MART

By Mary Starrett

June 11, 2003

NewsWithViews.com

Starting this week, the nation's largest discount retailer will quietly begin selling tracking-chipped products to clueless shoppers. The first volley in their war against our privacy is set to start at their Brockton, Massachusetts store.

Wal-Mart will put Radio Frequency I.D. sensors on shelves stocked with RFID-tagged Gillette products, but they'd rather you didn't know about it, because, hey, you might not like it, and then you might make noise and then they'd have a big PR mess on their hands.

You might even stop buying Gillette products or, say, refuse to shop at Wal-Mart.

These chips, researched at M.I.T.'s Auto-ID Center are about the size of a grain of sand. Chipsters say the technology will only be used to help retailers keep track of inventory - like bar codes. But privacy-loving consumers question the very concept of a device that sends out radio waves to "readers" that not only identify the article, but where and with whom it's going.

The Big Brother implications of this thing need little hyping to get your skin crawling.

Wal-Mart's putting the pressure on its top 100 suppliers to make sure their inventory is all chipped by the end of next year.

But why start this in Brockton, Mass?

Could it be because the store's customers are typically lower income minorities who'd be less likely to be aware of the tracking devices, and even less likely to make a fuss about them?

Their thinking? Let's foist it on folks who're too concerned about paying the electric bill to be aware of these types of issues.

Retailers are SUPPOSED to alert their customers to the tracking chips and offer to "kill" the tags at the checkout counter.

Don't count on it, because what you don't know won't hurt you, right? And to PROVE those RFID tags won't be "killed" at the cash register one of the ways they're planning on convincing you, the shopper that these tags are A-OK is by touting how "hassle-free" returns will be. Huh? If the tags are supposedly turned off at purchase, how can they be read after the item's brought back to the store? Just one of the myriad lies you'll be told about this technology.

Are we to expect that in addition to being asked the "paper or plastic" question we'll get an option on whether the RFID tags are left on or turned off? Not only will consumers be witnessing the death throes of privacy, but it's going to cost them. Currently, the chips cost about 60 cents each. Add that to the cost of each and every item that uses this Orwellian technology. Gillette and Wal-Mart are only the pioneers here, the stated plan is to affix each item produced on the planet with RFID tags. Each pack of gum, each roll of film, each bottle of Merlot.

So what's a freedom-loving shopper to do?

Fortunately for us, there's a really smart lady finishing up a Ph.D. at Harvard. She started a group that's bellowing out the urgency of fighting this technology; her name is Katherine Albrecht and she's founder of CASPIAN (Consumers Against Supermarket Privacy Invasion And Numbering). Albrecht's CASPIAN has proposed a piece of federal legislation called "RFID RIGHT TO KNOW ACT OF 2003". It's a law that would let consumers know which products had tracking chips attached to them. In short, the proposed bill would amend the Fair Packaging and Labeling Program by adding language that requires manufacturers to state (in a conspicuous location) that the package contains a radio frequency identification tag that can transmit unique identification information to a "reader" device both before and AFTER it's purchased(!).

This is where you come in.

The bill needs a sponsor.

Maybe YOUR Congressional Representative would like to go on record as having helped stop this assault on our privacy. Forward this article to him/her and tell them the entire text of the bill can been seen at nocards.org.

Will you make it a point to email, call or fax your representative today, before our Big Brother gets any bigger? Do it NOW before the lobbyists and big money special interests get to them and convince Congress these RFID chips are consumer-friendly!

And while you're at it, why not tell the suits at Wal-Mart and Gillette (and Home Depot, Proctor and Gamble and Johnson & Johnson, too, by the way) that from here on out you wouldn't go near their stores or their products with a ten foot pole.

It works. Remember back a few months when I told you how Italian clothing company Benetton had chipped their Sisely line of clothes and was all set to roll out the garments with RFID tracking devices? Well your outrage and feedback caused them to put the scheme on hold.

Let's make sure the behemoth Wal-Mart is similarly put on notice. (By the way, IBM's planning to add RFID to it's products; so if Wal-Mart manages to sneak this past us, all bets are off and then every corporate giant will be able to inflict this chilling, tracking/monitoring horror on us.)

If RFID gets off the ground as planned, that would make George Orwells' predictions off by just 20 years. It's up to us.

Apparently this is true in the sense that a Walmart in Brockton is starting to use RFIDs with Gillette but will disable them upon checkout.

I mean I hate Wal Mart as much as I'm sure most of you do but seriously what the hell?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Arglebargle III posted:

I love the logic there. Someone in Gaza bought lipstick, therefore no one in Gaza is needy.

edit: Is there any evidence that that photo comes from Gaza at all? I don't remember women in Gaza favoring that particular style of dress.
I'm not sure about this particular photo, but, at least according to Ali Abunimah of Electronic Intifada fame, this "mall" is no more than a large department store, with very few customers at that. Most Gazans cannot afford to shop there, unless they belong to the minority of Hamas functionaries, NGO employees or tunnel barons.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

RagnarokAngel posted:

Apparently this is true in the sense that a Walmart in Brockton is starting to use RFIDs with Gillette but will disable them upon checkout.

I mean I hate Wal Mart as much as I'm sure most of you do but seriously what the hell?

Taking measures to prevent shoplifting is the first item on the communist agenda.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

RagnarokAngel posted:

I just noticed that story is dated 2003. Of course, most stores have been using RFID tags as anti-theft protection even before then.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

baquerd posted:

What's that, actual goods and services being offered to Palestinians? Guess they're pretty well off after all :smug:

But how was the white-water rafting? :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

fishmech posted:

I just noticed that story is dated 2003. Of course, most stores have been using RFID tags as anti-theft protection even before then.

Didn't even notice that. Apparently Wal Mart is going to try it again so this articles been making the rounds again.