Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Z3n posted:

Did you make sure the terminals are hooked up correctly and the wiring harness ground is connected correctly? There's a blade connector that attaches to a lead off the negative terminal of the battery and provides the ground for the wring harness.

Following that, it's time to whip out a multimeter and a wiring harness and see where the power is stopping.

Wiring harness is properly grounded, terminals are hooked up correctly. I'm getting zip, zero power. I have a multimeter, will be going over this entire thing with my service manual.

Haven't checked the main fuse yet. That's the first thing I'll do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Do you get power at the battery

Ghost of Razgriz
Aug 4, 2007
Any hints on the proper way to clean a gas cap lock out and lube it? Damned thing won't accept the key all the way, so something's obstructing it. As I type this I'm going out with a can of air to explore that method first.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

niethan posted:

Do you get power at the battery

There's voltage across the battery but no current flowing no matter what.

Ghost of Razgriz
Aug 4, 2007
Ok I managed to get the gas cap to open, and I've removed it from the bike to better examine it and disassemble if necessary. Graphite lube is having no effect whatsoever. I'm not sure if it's the locking mechanism, tumblers and such, or the bit that actually retracts to allow the cap to swing up and out (the cam? bolt? something).

One thing that might be at play is the key I use is a bit twisted. The ignition accepts it without any issue. I tried my spare key in the cap lock and that also doesn't want to budge. Any suggestions?

Ghost of Razgriz
Aug 4, 2007
Hah, score one for tinkering! After taking the cap apart I began getting after it with the canned air again, and while holding the it so the lock was perpendicular to the ground all the graphite came out in a black cloud. Course, now my couch is a little more gray than it used to be, but the cap lock works like a charm! Looks like I've found another thing to add to the periodic maintenance list.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

How do you know when you need new tires? I recently picked up an 05 ninja that's still running the stock tires. I'd think that I'd need new ones because of the age, but the bike only has 1600 miles on it, so the tires look almost new. What should I do?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

bladesamurai posted:

How do you know when you need new tires? I recently picked up an 05 ninja that's still running the stock tires. I'd think that I'd need new ones because of the age, but the bike only has 1600 miles on it, so the tires look almost new. What should I do?

Mileage wise they're pretty new tires, but age wise they're pretty old.

Do they have any dryrotting in them?

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Once tires have a certain age they harden out and don't really lose as much tread anymore. At least that's what the dude at my workshop told me. Five year old tires aren't good anymore, get new ones.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
My tdm has a bit of a hard time shifting into or out of first. If I don't go along a crawl speed my shifter keeps rattling and grinding gears. Is this a characteristic of some gearboxes or is there a setting I can fiddle with to make it less 'grabby'?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
How's the clutch adjustment? Notchy/difficult shifting in and out of neutral can be a problem when the clutch doesn't disengage fully because the cabled needs to be tightened up a bit.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Z3n posted:

How's the clutch adjustment? Notchy/difficult shifting in and out of neutral can be a problem when the clutch doesn't disengage fully because the cabled needs to be tightened up a bit.

Karma!, this is a characteristic of a hosed gearbox. It's not normal for either 3VD or 4TX.

As Z3N says, you hope that the problem is that the clutch isn't disengaging properly, which will manifest most obviously bridging the gap between 2nd and 1st. Start with cable adjustment.

If you can't adjust it out, you could try pulling the clutch, replacing the clutch springs and checking that the plain plates haven't warped.

If it's not a clutch problem, I'd just avoid 1st gear unless you fancy rebuilding the transmission.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Saga posted:

Karma!, this is a characteristic of a hosed gearbox. It's not normal for either 3VD or 4TX.

As Z3N says, you hope that the problem is that the clutch isn't disengaging properly, which will manifest most obviously bridging the gap between 2nd and 1st. Start with cable adjustment.

If you can't adjust it out, you could try pulling the clutch, replacing the clutch springs and checking that the plain plates haven't warped.

Good thing I have warranty then, since adjusting only changed the engagement point further out.

Saga posted:

If it's not a clutch problem, I'd just avoid 1st gear unless you fancy rebuilding the transmission.

Ack, I need this thing for a motorcycle holiday mid-august! Thanks for the details, I'll get right on it. Let's hope it's just the clutch..

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Could also be grit in the shift selector mechanism...I'm not sure what the design of the TDM is specifically, but many transmissions use a ratchet and pawl system. If you get grit in the place where the pawl rests it can cause the transmission to jump out of gear or not want to go into gear.

RichBomb
Nov 16, 2004
a strange and terrible saga
GS500 is running hot and lean. The revs climb at idle and fall very slowly.. Carbs are sealed tight, not a vacuum leak. I have to leave for a trip this weekend so I can't order new jets. Is there a chance changing the float bowl height would change the situation?

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I was gifted a track day next month by my KINDA SORTA GIRLFRIEND for helping her out with her race bike. I don't have anything other than my GS700 to bring although she will have her prepped N250 there as well. I'd like to at least get a few go arounds with the GS to see what she feels like ridden in anger. What sort of prep should I do? It's got fresh fork oil and seals already. Just changed the oil with Rotella synth. Valve adjustment is recent. Tires are BT45s with more than 1/2 life left. I can't think of anything else.
What tire pressure should I start with? I run 40 rear and 30 front for the street. The track days is at Streets so it's going to be loving retardedly (105+) hot with the track itself pretty slow but twisty.

EDIT: This is my first track day so any other advice is welcome too!

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Bugdrvr posted:

my KINDA SORTA GIRLFRIEND

:goonsay:

:)

Give these a read.

http://www.amazon.com/Twist-Wrist-Motorcycle-Roadracers-Handbook/dp/0965045013/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279700482&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Twist-Wrist-Basics-High-Performance-Motorcycle/dp/0965045021/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Bugdrvr posted:

What tire pressure should I start with? I run 40 rear and 30 front for the street.

Do you have saddlebags full of bricks?

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Bugdrvr posted:

:words:

Your KINDA SORTA GIRLFRIEND is completely KINDA SORTA AWESOME. That's one badass gift.

This goes without saying but DRINK SHITLOADS OF WATER. Start hydrating the day before and continue drinking throughout your trackday. You're going to be working hard on the bike (finding muscles in your legs you had no idea even existed!) and the weather is going to drain you even more.

Assuming whoever is running the trackday has control riders, make use of them! If you're having an issue with any particular part of the track they can help you out, work on body positioning, lines, etc. Listen to what they have to say.

I can't help you on the tire front because all I did on BT45s was putt around on a old CB750, never any track riding on them.

Other advice:

Take it easy. You're not there to win anything.
Bring a comfy chair to relax in between sessions
DRINK WATER.
Don't feel pressured to ride all the sessions, or ride for the entire session time. Yes, track time is expensive but crashing because you're tired and not making good decisions is even more expensive.
WEAR GOOD GEAR! Including a back protector if you can get your hands on one. Most trackday orgs have leathers and back protectors for rent if you're not ready to buy one just yet.
DRINK WATER
Have fun :)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bugdrvr posted:

I was gifted a track day next month by my KINDA SORTA GIRLFRIEND

If you havent done it recently, flush the brake fluid out with some fresh stuff, or you'll be boiling water pretty quickly.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Phat_Albert posted:

If you havent done it recently, flush the brake fluid out with some fresh stuff, or you'll be boiling water pretty quickly.

Yep, replace all that nasty brake fluid (makes a slippery mess if you crash) with nice fresh deionised water.

:allears:

e: this is guaranteed to increase your corner speed dramatically for at least one corner.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Bugdrvr posted:

I was gifted a track day next month by my KINDA SORTA GIRLFRIEND for helping her out with her race bike. I don't have anything other than my GS700 to bring although she will have her prepped N250 there as well. I'd like to at least get a few go arounds with the GS to see what she feels like ridden in anger. What sort of prep should I do? It's got fresh fork oil and seals already. Just changed the oil with Rotella synth. Valve adjustment is recent. Tires are BT45s with more than 1/2 life left. I can't think of anything else.
What tire pressure should I start with? I run 40 rear and 30 front for the street. The track days is at Streets so it's going to be loving retardedly (105+) hot with the track itself pretty slow but twisty.

I'd drop the rear pressures down to 32-34 or so for the track, and maybe knowing how you ride the brakes and turn in on the front might consider bumping it up a bit, as you're going to be abusing the hell out of it.

Flushing your brake fluid is good, and the GS700 is going to wear you the hell out on that track.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
I accidently picked up resistor spark plugs up for my GSXR. DR9EA's instead of D9EA's. Should I return them and grab the non resistor type? Will the resistor have any negative performance effects?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Phat_Albert posted:

Seriously. My first trackday I rode way above my head and I was boiling that poo poo, I almost died too many times. :lol:

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Thanks for all of the advice.
I do plan on drinking a ton of water. I was at Big Willow all weekend helping her and another friend and I ended up drinking two gallons of water even though I really didn't do much of anything except a few wheel swaps and put bikes on and off rear stands.
I do have some decent gear. I've got good everything including a back protector and I'm borrowing my friends backup leathers as they seem to fit perfectly.
My brake fluid is pretty recent as well. I have been using Castrol Response since I got a bunch of quarts for free when our Austin Martin dealer closed down. Should be good for whatever I will manage to do to it.

I figure the GS will be a handful on such a short track. I would like to take it out for at least one session for fun. If it proves to be too much I'll just ride the 250.

I'll have to post up some pics of the GS in a field of new SS bikes. Hopefully it won't include any of it being hauled back to the infield in the back of a beat up Toyota pickup by a few of Palmdales finest rednecks.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Welp, I just reseated and cleaned all the electrical connectors and now my SV650 works. I need to figure out which one was causing this, I didn't even replace any fuses.

However, I did find out that the PO has used every single spare fuse. Going to be restocking those this week, don't want to be caught out there with no spare main fuse.

Ghost of Razgriz
Aug 4, 2007
Y'all talking about flushing the brake fluid makes me curious. What's a reasonable time frame for replacement? Depends on use, I'm sure. Or is it more a "check it and replace if needed you idiot" type thing?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Ghost of Razgriz posted:

Y'all talking about flushing the brake fluid makes me curious. What's a reasonable time frame for replacement? Depends on use, I'm sure. Or is it more a "check it and replace if needed you idiot" type thing?

If you have to ask how long it's been since you changed brake fluid, do it?

The manual for my SV650 says brake fluid and coolant every 2 years, and replace all brake hoses every 4. It's 10 years old and has factory hoses on it. :ohdear:

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

Ghost of Razgriz posted:

The fluid should be clear to light amber. When it starts getting darker in color, it's time to flush it.

Terminal
Feb 17, 2003
The Void

chryst posted:

The fluid should be clear to light amber. When it starts getting darker in color, it's time to flush it.

And don't believe what you can see through the window/reservoir. The used EX500 I picked up from a dealer had almost crystal clear fluid in the reservoir, but they hadn't actually flushed any through the calipers. When I went to drain the system before installing a new stainless line, black muck came out of the bleeder :gonk:

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.
I discovered why all the Ebay stores boldly state in bright red "US ADDRESSES ONLY WILL NOT SHIP INTERNATIONALLY!"

A guy on another forums needed a GSX-R tank, and couldn't find one anywhere in Australia that wasn't dented or a thousand AU moon bucks. So he drop-shipped it to me to forward. In return for the favor, he's fabricating me up a few parts.

Aside from the $428 price tag, it took almost 3 hours for the people at the post office to work through which customs forms, labeling, size restrictions, and whatnot. Plus, they had me unpack it so they could verify that it was clean enough to not get dinged as a hazmat by customs. What a pain in the rear end.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Weinertron posted:

If you have to ask how long it's been since you changed brake fluid, do it?

The manual for my SV650 says brake fluid and coolant every 2 years, and replace all brake hoses every 4. It's 10 years old and has factory hoses on it. :ohdear:

The brake fluid in my old 1991 ZX600 looked like a dehydrated man with kidney failure pissed into the fluid reservoir. Also old brake lines are pimp cause they are stiff like braided stainless steel lines. Cheap mans stiff brake handle ;)

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

chryst posted:

I discovered why all the Ebay stores boldly state in bright red "US ADDRESSES ONLY WILL NOT SHIP INTERNATIONALLY!"

A guy on another forums needed a GSX-R tank, and couldn't find one anywhere in Australia that wasn't dented or a thousand AU moon bucks. So he drop-shipped it to me to forward. In return for the favor, he's fabricating me up a few parts.

Aside from the $428 price tag, it took almost 3 hours for the people at the post office to work through which customs forms, labeling, size restrictions, and whatnot. Plus, they had me unpack it so they could verify that it was clean enough to not get dinged as a hazmat by customs. What a pain in the rear end.

And after all that, the chances of that actually getting to Australia un-dented are pretty loving slim.

Alastor
Nov 18, 2007
I am the cream filling.
I'm a goon in Denver.

My uncle and brother both joined a Marine Corps biker club on me, those fuckers.

I'm military too, but I passed the ASVAB so I went into another branch.

My uncle and brother said they let other vets come along, but other branches don't get full patches and never get voting rights. They also don't get to go to every function.

Also, there's this whole thing about how I can barely stand the two Marines I love, much less 50 of them for extended road trips.

In other words, "gently caress that."

So I'm left on my own now, with no riding partners. My uncle and my brother spend most of their time at their new illiteracy club.

I've been invited to ride with some guys, but I haven't done so yet.

I was wondering if there's a goons on gears or something that exists. Is there a goons MC? If not, should we start one?

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Alastor posted:

:words:

Screw them. Ride by yourself. Done.

It's something I'm learning to love more every day.

Alastor
Nov 18, 2007
I am the cream filling.

Crayvex posted:

Screw them. Ride by yourself. Done.

It's something I'm learning to love more every day.

I am not going to Tijuana alone.

Someone has to bring bail money.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Alastor posted:

I am not going to Tijuana alone.

Someone has to bring bail money.

What's the matter? Are you too good for Amerikun roads?? :911:

Alastor
Nov 18, 2007
I am the cream filling.

Crayvex posted:

What's the matter? Are you too good for Amerikun roads?? :911:

No.

Too poor.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
How easy is it to change the oil?
Sounds like a silly question but I've never done any maintenance on my car or anything before. This bike I just bought when I tried to start it this morning after a few days of not touching it (darn you work!) it would catch for like 15seconds then turn off and the oil light comes on. I imagine since I don't know what type of oil was in there I should drain whatever might be in there before putting new oil in, right? God I really hope thats the problem and there is nothing larger. It totally ran fine when I got it :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ChiTownEddie posted:

How easy is it to change the oil?
Sounds like a silly question but I've never done any maintenance on my car or anything before. This bike I just bought when I tried to start it this morning after a few days of not touching it (darn you work!) it would catch for like 15seconds then turn off and the oil light comes on. I imagine since I don't know what type of oil was in there I should drain whatever might be in there before putting new oil in, right? God I really hope thats the problem and there is nothing larger. It totally ran fine when I got it :(

The oil light comes on because when the bike stalls the oil pressure drops to 0. that light is telling you is that there isnt any oil pressure when the engine isnt running, which is normal.

You have other issues to solve besides oil.